The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL protection lists

6 hours ago, Borvat said:

I have the exact same question. Also, Vegas gets an expansion team and Seattle is apparently next in line.  Yet Quebec (which would be an excellent story and the right thing to do) and the greater Toronto area don't seem to fit into the current plans.

Seattle is still a long way away from being next in line. The NHL would like a market in the Northwest, and another back in Quebec, but your idea of their plans forget that there's already an imbalance in the number of teams in each conference. With Vegas joining the West, the imbalance is just one team more in the East now, but it's still difficult to see the East getting another team without at least one more in the West. And we're all probably thinking there are too many teams as is.

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

It's not like Buffalo doesn't support the team with ticket sales.  There's still a waiting list for season tickets...  Also, the decline in the Buffalo area population has finally halted.  The state has started to invest in the area as has local businessmen.  Not to mention, the current politicians are less incompetent than the ones who ran WNY for a long time.

Buffalo's Achilles heel is that we're a small city.  A 7 point rating in Buffalo in terms of eyeballs to advertise to, is far fewer eyeballs than a 7 point rating in Chicago. 

Having a very rich owner who loves the area and who has always been a fan of the Bills and the Sabres just means that both teams will never be moved out of Buffalo while the Pegulas own them.

If Hamilton got a team, Toronto would be a whole lot more angry about it than Buffalo. They have much more to lose because they are worth much more.  That's not to say that the Sabres want competition, because no business likes competition.  They just have a lot less to lose than does the Maple Leafs.

Actually the leafs previously said they would be alright with a second team in Toronto So long as they play at ACC and pay rent. Greedy and shady MLSE.

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Actually the leafs previously said they would be alright with a second team in Toronto So long as they play at ACC and pay rent. Greedy and shady MLSE.

They're full of crap.  They were the biggest fighters against a team going into Hamilton.  Tom Golisano, who owned the Sabres back then, sure as heck didn't have the clout to stop it from happening....

5 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

They're full of crap.  They were the biggest fighters against a team going into Hamilton.  Tom Golisano, who owned the Sabres back then, sure as heck didn't have the clout to stop it from happening....

If the team was in Hamilton they would play at Copps colosseum. Re-read my post.

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

If the team was in Hamilton they would play at Copps colosseum. Re-read my post.

I did read it.  No matter where they played, they would still pull more revenue away from the Leafs than the Leafs would gain.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

I did read it.  No matter where they played, they would still pull more revenue away from the Leafs than the Leafs would gain.

Revenue is the wrong word to use.  The value of the Leafs on paper would go down if a second team moved into Toronto, or to a lesser extent Hamilton.

It's why Jerry Jones and Dallas, as well as the owners of the Houston Texans refuse to allow an NFL team into San Antonio.  SA has made it known that they want one and the NFL has told them it's a non-starter.

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Revenue is the wrong word to use.  The value of the Leafs on paper would go down if a second team moved into Toronto, or to a lesser extent Hamilton.

It's why Jerry Jones and Dallas, as well as the owners of the Houston Texans refuse to allow an NFL team into San Antonio.  SA has made it known that they want one and the NFL has told them it's a non-starter.

Fair enough. I read that story after the Hamilton scenario and it could have been lip service given the idea was dead. I agree team value would come down likely.

12 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I'm fairly certain it was Jerry himself that told SA it was not happening. Let's be honest, the man is the most influential person is professional sports.

That said, I honestly believe it would only hurt the Texans. The Dallas Cowboys brand is just too big. 

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Fair enough. I read that story after the Hamilton scenario and it could have been lip service given the idea was dead. I agree team value would come down likely.

The reason why I was so keyed in on the whole Hamilton thing was its impact on Golisano.  After Pegula bought the Sabres, I pretty much stopped caring.

Anybody who thinks that the Buffalo market is weak is talking out of their rear-ends.  We've been attracting more and more hockey events for years now and it has only increased ever since Harborcenter was built.  The NHL even just re-upped for 2 more years of holding the NHL combine here.

While we hold the World Junior Hockey Championships in December, the USA vs Canada game will be held at our football stadium while the rest are held in the arena and at the connected Harborcenter.

1 minute ago, zduck14 said:

I'm fairly certain it was Jerry himself that told SA it was not happening. Let's be honest, the man is the most influential person is professional sports.

That said, I honestly believe it would only hurt the Texans. The Dallas Cowboys brand is just too big. 

SA is Dallas Cowboy country and they are the 7th biggest market in the country I believe.  It would hit the Cowboys the hardest for sure.

On 6/18/2017 at 7:16 AM, Horvat is a Boss said:

I have a question. 

Given that if Vegas signs a UFA from a team it counts as their Expansion pick, is Vegas not allowed to pick a player from that team?

For example, Vegas is interested in Oshie as a UFA. Does that mean they can't take Grubauer in the Expansion Draft? If they are allowed to take Grubauer AND sign Oshie, then what's the point of having UFA's count as picks for Vegas?

No, if they sign a UFA from Team X, they can't pick up another player from Team X in their unprotected list.

For further FAQs, please see https://www.nhl.com/news/next-steps-for-vegas-golden-knights/c-289968452

3 hours ago, Borvat said:

My point exactly with Vegas and likely Seattle.  US dollars and US TV deal.  If a Canadian market wanted to pay the US $500 Million expansion fee it would be CDN $660 Million.  Just for the right to have a team. 

The Buffalo market is just awful on it's own if they can't support their team. They can't blame a Canadian team for that, if they try maybe they don't deserve a team.  See below and above for the rationale.

Seattle will get a team, expansion or re-location before Quebec or GTA.  Again, because of the US dollar, the TV deal the NHL has in place combined with Bettman's greed and ego.

Yup! And they know no rational Canadian ownership group will do that. Quebec will get their team eventually. Buffalo can support their team but some of their fan base are those near the Buffalo boarder on the Canadian side. I really have no idea what would happen if they did add a team near Buffalo, but I don't think the region will be able to support it. 

Regarding Seattle, it will depend. If a team fails before 2021, then no, Quebec will get their team first (since the Key Arena renovation won't be done till 2021). The landscape of the NHL will be a lot different by then, so who knows what happens. I still think Quebec will get their team via relocation in 2 years. Seattle by relocation in 2021 (Arizona imo). 

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

I've always wondered how many fans would support the Hamilton team. Given how strong Leafs nation is...i would think allegiances are hard to break. 

Just now, canucks.bradley said:

Yup! And they know no rational Canadian ownership group will do that. Quebec will get their team eventually. Buffalo can support their team but some of their fan base are those near the Buffalo boarder on the Canadian side. I really have no idea what would happen if they did add a team near Buffalo, but I don't think the region will be able to support it. 

Regarding Seattle, it will depend. If a team fails before 2021, then no, Quebec will get their team first (since the Key Arena renovation won't be done till 2021). The landscape of the NHL will be a lot different by then, so who knows what happens. I still think Quebec will get their team via relocation in 2 years. Seattle by relocation in 2021 (Arizona imo). 

I think the Hamilton area has a shot at supporting it as long as they get an owner that doesn't expect to turn a profit.  That's why Jim Balsillie would have been a good owner for them back when he was gunning for a team.

These days he can't afford to buy an NHL team on his own.  He doesn't have that kind of money.  That means that he'd need partners who would most definitely want to turn a profit and get a return on their investment.

1 minute ago, canucks.bradley said:

I've always wondered how many fans would support the Hamilton team. Given how strong Leafs nation is...i would think allegiances are hard to break. 

Good timing.  Read my above post...

Lots of good players out there, and I'm sure McPhee will move some pieces around too and make some big trades and draft picks. He's already got plenty of first round picks and some stabs at lots of good young players. Looks like this team could make 9-10th overall in the Conference and be a playoff team in about 3 years time.

Archived