The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL protection lists

12 hours ago, mll said:

Because they get exclusive rights during the expansion window.  In free agency a player can talk to every team in the league and there's more competition to sign the player.  Free agency starts on 1 July and until then the player's rights belong to his team - no one else can sign him.  There's an exception for Vegas during the expansion window where they can try and reach an agreement with unprotected UFAs (if the UFA is protected - they are not authorised to talk to him).

The Stars traded for Bishop - he was a UFA this summer.  They could have waited until free agency but he would have had more suitors.

Can you help me out here as this is the first I've heard of any of this (I guess I didn't pay much attention to all the expansion rules until now).

So if Vegas signed Miller, we wouldn't have to lose somebody else?

Something tells me I've got my wires crossed, that can't be right.

13 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

To meet the minimum requirements for the 2 forwards and 1 d man to be made available - yes. However, Vegas now has exclusive rights with all UFA's to make a deal. As an example, Vegas could make a deal with Miller and he would count as the 1 player Vancouver would lose.

But miller has nmc i thought. Wouldn't it still be in effect? 

I wonder how many first round picks Vegas will land? There was so few trades made. We could see teams using their first round picks to keep Vegas off of certain players. The rumor is that they have 3 in the bag already.

1 hour ago, nzan said:

Can you help me out here as this is the first I've heard of any of this (I guess I didn't pay much attention to all the expansion rules until now).

So if Vegas signed Miller, we wouldn't have to lose somebody else?

Something tells me I've got my wires crossed, that can't be right.

That's correct.  Vegas can now negotiate until Wednesday 21 June 10am ET with any pending RFA and UFAs who have not been protected.  If they sign any such player he becomes their selection from that team.  

34 minutes ago, Emmetts said:

NMCs have been lifted for players who will be UFA this 1 July so that teams don't have to use a protection spot on them.

16 minutes ago, Emmetts said:

Miller does not have a NMC but I believe he has a NTC. He is a pending UFA that the Canucks did not have on their protected list so Vegas will have exclusive negotiating rights with him for the period of June 17th - 20th. If Vegas were to sign Miller, he would then be the 1 player we would lose in the draft.

28 minutes ago, Emmetts said:

Here are the details of Miller's contract.

2016-17 Modified NTC $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $1,000,000 $0 $6,000,000 $6,000,000
CLAUSE DETAILS: Lists 5 teams he can be traded to; Source: @realkyper/status/484065799783469056

Here is the Florida Panthers protected player list for the Expansion Draft.

Jonathan Huberdeau
Aleksander Barkov
Vincent Trocheck
Nick Bjugstad

Aaron Ekblad
Keith Yandle
Alex Petrovic
Mark Pysyk

James Reimer

Unprotected:

Reilly Smith
Jussi Jokinen
Derek MacKenzie
Colton Sceviour
Jonathan Marchessault
Jason Demers
Roberto Luongo

Here is the Dallas Stars protection list for the Expansion Draft.

Jamie Benn
Tyler Seguin
Jason Spezza
Antoine Roussel
Valeri Nichushkin
Radek Faksa
Brett Ritchie

John Klingberg
Esa Lindell
Stephen Johns

Ben Bishop

Unprotected:

Cody Eakin
Curtis McKenzie
Adam Cracknell
Justin Dowling
Dan Hamhuis
Greg Pateryn
Andrew Bodnarchuk
Ludwig Byström
Kari Lehtonen
Antti Niemi

Here is the expected Edmonton Oilers protection list for the Expansion Draft.

Leon Draisaitl
Milan Lucic
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Jordan Eberle
Patrick Maroon
Zack Kassian
Mark Letestu

Adam Larsson
Oscar Klefbom
Andrej Sekera

Cam Talbot

Unprotected:

Benoît Pouliot
Iiro Pakarinen
Jujhar Khaira
Mark Fayne
Griffin Reinhart
David Musil
Laurent Brossoit

15 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Any chance Vegas takes Boucher?

He has shown a bit more offensive flare than Gaunce and he is a hell of a lot cheaper than Sbisa

Rodin and Dorsett are the other two most likely imo, depending on whom else they select.  Out of the five, Boucher is by far the one I'd hope is taken.

The Oilers lists are great -- Vegas will actually be doing them a favour.

49 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Here is the Dallas Stars protection list for the Expansion Draft.

Jamie Benn
Tyler Seguin
Jason Spezza
Antoine Roussel
Valeri Nichushkin
Radek Faksa
Brett Ritchie

John Klingberg
Esa Lindell
Stephen Johns

Ben Bishop

Unprotected:

Cody Eakin
Curtis McKenzie
Adam Cracknell
Justin Dowling
Dan Hamhuis
Greg Pateryn
Andrew Bodnarchuk
Ludwig Byström
Kari Lehtonen
Antti Niemi

I find it very intriguing how they are not protecting Eakin. The guy is a fabulous hockey player. Definitely the bo choice option for me if I'm LGK. 

The fact they they are protecting Nichuskin must say that they are atleast attempting to bring him back? I don't know. I would have that because Nichuskin is such an enigma I would have exposed him and protected Eakin. So much to speculate on these days!

53 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Here is the Florida Panthers protected player list for the Expansion Draft.

Jonathan Huberdeau
Aleksander Barkov
Vincent Trocheck
Nick Bjugstad

Aaron Ekblad
Keith Yandle
Alex Petrovic
Mark Pysyk

Roberto Luongo

Unprotected:

Reilly Smith
Jussi Jokinen
Derek MacKenzie
Colton Sceviour
Jonathan Marchessault
Jason Demers
James Reimer

I'm surprised that the Panthers are exposing Marchessault. Kid just put up 30 goals. They must have a side deal in place.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/canucks-expansion-draft-protected-list-revealed?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

No surprise Gaunce isn't protected and same with Sbisa. Would've been nice if we got something in return for Pizza Boy. Oh well. The Protection list is what was expected. Players protected are Sedins, Eriksson, Sutter, Bo, Baer, Granny, Edler, Tanev and Guddy with Marky being the netminder protected. I agree with most the list. The loss of Sbisa may hurt but Benning did well signing Holm, Chatfield and extending Pedan. Not a bad list

35 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

I find it very intriguing how they are not protecting Eakin. The guy is a fabulous hockey player. Definitely the bo choice option for me if I'm LGK. 

The fact they they are protecting Nichuskin must say that they are atleast attempting to bring him back? I don't know. I would have that because Nichuskin is such an enigma I would have exposed him and protected Eakin. So much to speculate on these days!

If Nichuskin was left unprotected, I would definitely pick him if I was Vegas simply because you can only have 20 players in the NHL, so you take his rights and try to negotiate him to come over eventually.

Archived