The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL protection lists

2 minutes ago, Creepy Crawler said:

Isn't he on NMC?

No.  They even had to give up a 5th round pick to get Graovac so that they could protect him.  They were missing a F who met the minimum game requirements.

15 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I don't know if Vegas takes Sbisa looking at the dman available. He is the best player on vancouver that is available to them but if they're trying to build the best team possible passing on him would make more sense.

Just depends on how many D they are planning on flipping after picking. Maybe they have good offers for Dumba etc and will trade them right away for a better center to round out their team. 

Exciting times as anything is possible 

10 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Ken Holland declined to comment on his Expansion Draft protection list choices.

He also reiterated that they will not be making any deals with the Vegas Golden Knights to try and save an exposed player.

Has he lost his mind?

He can't really think Howard is their best choice going forward can he?

5 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Has he lost his mind?

I am very surprised he exposed Mrazek. He had a bad start to this year but he has put up great numbers so far in his career. I would be shocked if Vegas doesn't take him. 

47 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I am very surprised he exposed Mrazek. He had a bad start to this year but he has put up great numbers so far in his career. I would be shocked if Vegas doesn't take him. 

Meanwhile, Vegas likely passes on an available Howard. Could have kept both, and lost a depth player instead.

If McPhee passes on Mrazek, he's even crazier than Holland.

3 hours ago, Borvat said:

I have the exact same question. Also, Vegas gets an expansion team and Seattle is apparently next in line.  Yet Quebec (which would be an excellent story and the right thing to do) and the greater Toronto area don't seem to fit into the current plans.

Because from a corporate sponsorship POV, Vegas is much stronger than Quebec. Combine that with the american dollar which is a lot stronger than CDN right now. Quebec imo, also doesn't have the deep pockets for the expansion fee. 

Adding another franchise to the greater Toronto area would also have the possibility of cannibalizing the Buffalo Sabres. 

As to Seattle, I do not see them getting an expansion team. I think like Quebec, they are destined for franchise relocations that fail in the next 2 years. Carolina will probably move to Quebec and Arizona to Seattle. The NHL knows Quebec is a turnkey solution (much like TNSE was for the Thrashers). Its a bailout option they want to keep in their back pocket rather than face the idea of a franchise failing and them having to do a dispersal draft. 

1 hour ago, canucks.bradley said:

Because from a corporate sponsorship POV, Vegas is much stronger than Quebec. Combine that with the american dollar which is a lot stronger than CDN right now. Quebec imo, also doesn't have the deep pockets for the expansion fee. 

Adding another franchise to the greater Toronto area would also have the possibility of cannibalizing the Buffalo Sabres. 

As to Seattle, I do not see them getting an expansion team. I think like Quebec, they are destined for franchise relocations that fail in the next 2 years. Carolina will probably move to Quebec and Arizona to Seattle. The NHL knows Quebec is a turnkey solution (much like TNSE was for the Thrashers). Its a bailout option they want to keep in their back pocket rather than face the idea of a franchise failing and them having to do a dispersal draft. 

My point exactly with Vegas and likely Seattle.  US dollars and US TV deal.  If a Canadian market wanted to pay the US $500 Million expansion fee it would be CDN $660 Million.  Just for the right to have a team. 

The Buffalo market is just awful on it's own if they can't support their team. They can't blame a Canadian team for that, if they try maybe they don't deserve a team.  See below and above for the rationale.

Seattle will get a team, expansion or re-location before Quebec or GTA.  Again, because of the US dollar, the TV deal the NHL has in place combined with Bettman's greed and ego.

14 minutes ago, Borvat said:

My point exactly with Vegas and likely Seattle.  US dollars and US TV deal.  If a Canadian market wanted to pay the US $500 Million expansion fee it would be CDN $660 Million.  Just for the right to have a team. 

The Buffalo market is just awful on it's own. They can't blame a Canadian team for that, if they try maybe they don't deserve a team.  See below and above for the rationale.

Seattle will get a team, expansion or re-location before Quebec or GTA.  Again, because of the US dollar, the TV deal the NHL has in place combined with Bettman's greed and ego.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance

Buffalo was 15 th in attendance but filled the building to 95.1% over the year. They had about 15,000 fewer fans go to their games than the Canucks. Not a bad market for in rink attendance, I don't know what their tv ratings are like, perhaps @SabreFan1 knows more?

20 minutes ago, gurn said:

Buffalo was 15 th in attendance but filled the building to 95.1% over the year. They had about 15,000 fewer fans go to their games than the Canucks. Not a bad market for in rink attendance, I don't know what their tv ratings are like, perhaps @SabreFan1 knows more?

My comment was more relating to the fact someone commented that a potential Canadian team in the GTA would "cannibalize" Buffalo's market. 

If that were the case they may not be viable was my point. In essence I want more Canadian teams in markets that can support them and deserve them.  Like the GTA and Quebec. I am pro Canadian I admit it.  Let's make the NHL Great Again.

5 hours ago, Qwags said:

I'm surprised Mrazek is exposed. He seemed to be Detroit's goalie of the future.

2 hours ago, peaches5 said:

3 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Has he lost his mind?

According to Ansar Khan, Petr Mrázek will still be on the hot seat even if he goes unclaimed in the Expansion Draft due to attitude issues.

The organization believes that Mrázek is over confident and borderline cocky. He also actively voice his displeasure with the organization after they failed to trade Jimmy Howard last summer.

These attitude issues lead to the decision to start Jared Coreau in the Centennial Classic back in January.

21 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

According to Ansar Khan, Petr Mrázek will still be on the hot seat even if he goes unclaimed in the Expansion Draft due to attitude issues.

The organization believes that Mrázek is over confident and borderline cocky. He also actively voice his displeasure with the organization after they failed to trade Jimmy Howard last summer.

These attitude issues lead to the decision to start Jared Coreau in the Centennial Classic back in January.

Interesting. You'd think they would just trade him then.

Economy will collapse like the house of cards it is. Since the Lehman shock, they've been kicking the can down the road for all they're worth. Cul-de-sac approaching. A fantasy, zombie-economy propped by endless wars, easy-sleazy credit & Monopoly QE.

As Jeremy Irons uttered in Margin Call.. Someone(maybe both deserts?) will wind up holding the "biggest bag of excrement" known to mankind. IF I were a silly billionaire, wouldn't give 20% of what they're asking, at this point.

Pro sport serves as a fine distraction for the hoi polloi..the Gov't REQUIRES plenty of distraction in this day & age. This rigged deck league resembles the Corleones with their 2017 plans..head for the desert.

47 minutes ago, Borvat said:

My comment was more relating to the fact someone commented that a potential Canadian team in the GTA would "cannibalize" Buffalo's market. 

If that were the case they may not be viable was my point. In essence I want more Canadian teams in markets that can support them and deserve them.  Like the GTA and Quebec. I am pro Canadian I admit it.  Let's make the NHL Great Again.

You aren't wrong. @SabreFan1 will point to how rich Buffalos owner is however facts are facts.

The Sabres get roughly 15 per cent of their business from Southern Ontario

The Sabres faced a similar scare a few years ago when former Blackberry co-CEO Jim Balsillie wanted to put a team in Hamilton. 

As of 2010 the Buffalo-Niagara area’s population was 1.3-million. Yet that population has been on the decline over the past few decades meaning that more than ever, the Sabres need business from Southern Ontario

http://thehockeywriters.com/what-another-southern-ontario-team-would-mean-to-the-sabres/

That's from 2013. Fast forward to now.

https://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/list/

Buffalo is ranked 25th while 15% of their business comes from Southern Ontario.

@SabreFan1 and other Buffalo fans like to point out recent t.v ratings, which is fair. This is a interesting article.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/27/perspective-buffalos-no-1-hockey-ratings/

1 hour ago, gurn said:

The Sabres were #1 in the NHL in terms of local TV ratings.  Buffalo is also one of the highest market ratings for playoff hockey whether the Sabres are in the playoffs or not.

32 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

You aren't wrong. @SabreFan1 will point to how rich Buffalos owner is however facts are facts.

The Sabres get roughly 15 per cent of their business from Southern Ontario

The Sabres faced a similar scare a few years ago when former Blackberry co-CEO Jim Balsillie wanted to put a team in Hamilton. 

As of 2010 the Buffalo-Niagara area’s population was 1.3-million. Yet that population has been on the decline over the past few decades meaning that more than ever, the Sabres need business from Southern Ontario

http://thehockeywriters.com/what-another-southern-ontario-team-would-mean-to-the-sabres/

That's from 2013. Fast forward to now.

https://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/list/

Buffalo is ranked 25th while 15% of their business comes from Southern Ontario.

@SabreFan1 and other Buffalo fans like to point out recent t.v ratings, which is fair. This is a interesting article.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/27/perspective-buffalos-no-1-hockey-ratings/

It's not like Buffalo doesn't support the team with ticket sales.  There's still a waiting list for season tickets...  Also, the decline in the Buffalo area population has finally halted.  The state has started to invest in the area as has local businessmen.  Not to mention, the current politicians are less incompetent than the ones who ran WNY for a long time.

Buffalo's Achilles heel is that we're a small city.  A 7 point rating in Buffalo in terms of eyeballs to advertise to, is far fewer eyeballs than a 7 point rating in Chicago. 

Having a very rich owner who loves the area and who has always been a fan of the Bills and the Sabres just means that both teams will never be moved out of Buffalo while the Pegulas own them.

If Hamilton got a team, Toronto would be a whole lot more angry about it than Buffalo. They have much more to lose because they are worth much more.  That's not to say that the Sabres want competition, because no business likes competition.  They just have a lot less to lose than does the Maple Leafs.

2 hours ago, Borvat said:

The Buffalo market is just awful on it's own if they can't support their team. They can't blame a Canadian team for that, if they try maybe they don't deserve a team.  See below and above for the rationale.

Please stop talking out of your ass.....

Archived