The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL protection lists

46 minutes ago, mll said:

Johnson is the only UFA that has been protected.  Vegas cannot contact him during the expansion window.  

Each team has to expose at least one goalie that is either qualified or under contract for next season - only Domingue meets that minimum requirement as Johnson is UFA.  Arizona had no choice but to expose Domingue so they had a protection spot open at G.

Fair point, I forgot that Smith was the only other goalie they could expose.

Howard getting protected has to be the biggest head scratcher though.

4 hours ago, mll said:

That's correct.  Vegas can now negotiate until Wednesday 21 June 10am ET with any pending RFA and UFAs who have not been protected.  If they sign any such player he becomes their selection from that team.  

NMCs have been lifted for players who will be UFA this 1 July so that teams don't have to use a protection spot on them.

Thanks!

The trend seems to be leaving bloated contract, high end forwards unprotected. Sharp, Ryan, Williams, Gaborik.... 

Can someone confirm if Eriksson could have been left unprotected? Did he have a full NMC? Would have been a good "edit > undo" option for the Canucks.

After looking at the lists, there's a whole bunch of decent wingers available it seems. Weak for centers. Abundance of dmen which was expected and enough decent goalies to start a franchise. So if I was Vegas, possibly try to move up in the draft to maybe Philly's spot and get either Patrick or Hischier and they will be pretty well off to start the year on paper at least.

3 minutes ago, Great Granny said:

The trend seems to be leaving bloated contract, high end forwards unprotected. Sharp, Ryan, Williams, Gaborik.... 

Can someone confirm if Eriksson could have been left unprotected? Did he have a full NMC? Would have been a good "edit > undo" option for the Canucks.

He had a full NMC.

43 minutes ago, Borvat said:

So which team / circumstances would you rather have? 

That of Vegas or many of the other teams who have had to construct a roster through hard work, effort, development and taking chances at the draft?  I think this is wonderful for Vegas.  Mr Bettman couldn't have given them a better chance to succeed.  

Which begs the question as to why he wouldn't couldn't give Arizona/Carolina/Tampa/Florida/Dallas or any of the other expansion or relocation teams the same kind of courtesy

2 hours ago, mll said:

Anaheim has a deal with Vegas so it's unlikely that Vatanen would be their selection.

Minnesota and Nashville are also on working on deals with Vegas - they have until Wednesday 10 am ET to reach an agreement.

Those deals are going to have to be huge for vgk to pass up on top young building pieces. 

Hard to see the benefit for Vegas. But i guess we won't know how big the offer for another couple of days. 

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Which begs the question as to why he wouldn't couldn't give Arizona/Carolina/Tampa/Florida/Dallas or any of the other expansion or relocation teams the same kind of courtesy

Burrows last summer was saying that the NHLPA actually wanted to make the conditions even more favourable for Vegas.  He was explaining that if Vegas is not succesful it comes out in large part from the players' pockets.  He was not too thrilled that the NHL wanted a new team (it's 17M for each owner) when there are teams like Carolina and Arizona struggling in their market.  

Pit - Fleury

Bos - Subban

Wpg - 

Wsh - Oshie

Van - Sbisa

Tor -

TBL -

STL - Yakupov

Sjs - Boedker

PHI - 

Ana - Vatanen

ARZ - Tinordi

BUF - 

CGY - Wideman

Car - 

Chi - Pokka

COL - 

CLB -

DAL - Oleksiak

Det - Helm

Edm - Reinhart

FLA -

Lak - 

Min - Staal

Mtl -

NSH - Neal

Njd -

NYI - Strome

Nyr - Grabner

Ott

Neal Staal Oshie

Grabner ------- Boedker

------- Helm Yakupov

------- ------- Strome

Vatanen Wideman

Oleksiak Sbisa

Reinhart Pokka

Fleury

Subban

Never checked cap on any of the players, but this is how I would start the draft, then depending on cap and trades the remaining roster may vary. I think this is a nice young core to build around. Pick up the #2C in this year's draft and then if everything pans out Las Vegas will be contending with us in a couple years.

Not a bad team for an ED.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I have the exact same question. Also, Vegas gets an expansion team and Seattle is apparently next in line.  Yet Quebec (which would be an excellent story and the right thing to do) and the greater Toronto area don't seem to fit into the current plans.

1 hour ago, mll said:

Burrows last summer was saying that the NHLPA actually wanted to make the conditions even more favourable for Vegas.  He was explaining that if Vegas is not succesful it comes out in large part from the players' pockets.  He was not too thrilled that the NHL wanted a new team (it's 17M for each owner) when there are teams like Carolina and Arizona struggling in their market.  

US $$$$$$$ in the owners pockets and I wonder how this is related to the US TV deal. I wonder if they promised US expansion as part of the TV deal. 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

No need to bash Bettman for Vancouver's miss management of their assets. I would say it's not the NHL's fault Linden and company have driven this team into the toilet. I think it's a great idea to make an expansion team strong or have a fighting chance. I would also say I disagree with expansion as the NHL is not a strong market as of now. 

Archived