The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Don't know if this pre-draft article was ever posted here, but this Leafs writer had some pretty interesting stuff to say about EP:

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2017/5/28/15706426/elias-pettersson-and-the-myth-of-the-two-horse-race

Reveal hidden contents

And while any one of these players could go on to have the better career, there is one player who is undoubtedly, without question the best player in this draft. A superstar. A near generational talent. Ladies and gentlemen...I present to you...Elias Pettersson...

Elias Pettersson didn’t just set the all-time scoring record for Allsvenskan, Sweden’s 2nd tier men’s league behind the SHL, among draft eligibles. He *obliterated* the next closest draft eligible season (which belonged to our very own William Nylander, who himself had dethroned Alex Wennberg) by 23%. That’s a LOT...

I’m not sure how to explain that except for Pettersson is a generational talent...

Elias Pettersson: approximately 87.99 points per 82 games at peak..

So with all the talk of this draft being a two horse race between Patrick and Hischier...in my humble opinion, it’s a one horse race. And that horse’s name...is Elias Pettersson.

Here's a gallery from that same guy 

https://imgur.com/a/IE3Fc

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Don't know if this pre-draft article was ever posted here, but this Leafs writer had some pretty interesting stuff to say about EP:

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2017/5/28/15706426/elias-pettersson-and-the-myth-of-the-two-horse-race

Reveal hidden contents

And while any one of these players could go on to have the better career, there is one player who is undoubtedly, without question the best player in this draft. A superstar. A near generational talent. Ladies and gentlemen...I present to you...Elias Pettersson...

Elias Pettersson didn’t just set the all-time scoring record for Allsvenskan, Sweden’s 2nd tier men’s league behind the SHL, among draft eligibles. He *obliterated* the next closest draft eligible season (which belonged to our very own William Nylander, who himself had dethroned Alex Wennberg) by 23%. That’s a LOT...

I’m not sure how to explain that except for Pettersson is a generational talent...

Elias Pettersson: approximately 87.99 points per 82 games at peak..

So with all the talk of this draft being a two horse race between Patrick and Hischier...in my humble opinion, it’s a one horse race. And that horse’s name...is Elias Pettersson.

A number of scouts said if he was 20 pounds heavier, he would have gone #1 overall. Which is stupid thinking, because weight can be gained. Skill cannot. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, canuckistani said:

To deliberately underperform, in your profession, is fraud.  You simply cant say you want players with good character, who displays the lowest character trait of a profession- to deliberately underperform. 

I don't think anyone expects this out of an NHL player. 

Management would make decisions to bring up kids, play the back-up more, tell some vets to rest their injuries etc. All amounting to a higher chance of not winning (better draft odds) and giving your prospects a taste. Look what it did for Brock last year. 

Its win win if the playoffs are out of reach...how is this ever even disputable?

Edited by Cowichan Canuck
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Cowichan Canuck said:

Management would make decisions to bring up kids, play the back-up more, tell some vets to rest their injuries etc. All amounting to a higher chance of not winning and giving your prospects a taste. 

Its win win if the playoffs are out of reach...how is this ever even disputable?

There is nothing wrong with giving kids a little bit of exposure once you miss the playoffs. But you still can't take out performing players- vets or otherwise- out of the lineup and be held credible. Your players won't play well for you, will create dressing room politics, friction etc. the moment you shy away from professional meritocracy enough to raise serious ethical eyebrows. Sure, a little bit of straying, for future talent development sake, is ok. But bench a guy who is closing in 50 points, so your team can tank for a better draft pick ? Nothing could be as damaging to a player's confidence and trust.

As i said, this is not NHL2016. Its real life. You cant pick and choose when to be a sleaze ball cheater and when to be an organization with integrity. You are either one or the other. 

5 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

There is nothing wrong with giving kids a little bit of exposure once you miss the playoffs. But you still can't take out performing players- vets or otherwise- out of the lineup and be held credible. Your players won't play well for you, will create dressing room politics, friction etc. the moment you shy away from professional meritocracy enough to raise serious ethical eyebrows. Sure, a little bit of straying, for future talent development sake, is ok. But bench a guy who is closing in 50 points, so your team can tank for a better draft pick ? Nothing could be as damaging to a player's confidence and trust.

As i said, this is not NHL2016. Its real life. You cant pick and choose when to be a sleaze ball cheater and when to be an organization with integrity. You are either one or the other. 

I think those sleeze bag teams with mcdavid and Matthews have moved on. 

I dont think the NHL works in such black and whites no matter what we think is "right"

its a business, businesses work on odds, run by humans that have various levels of integrities. 

Id like to add that I agree not trying is poor integrity, and benching healthy star players. 

Edited by Cowichan Canuck

25 minutes ago, Cowichan Canuck said:

Management would make decisions to bring up kids, play the back-up more, tell some vets to rest their injuries etc. All amounting to a higher chance of not winning (better draft odds) and giving your prospects a taste. Look what it did for Brock last year. 

Canucks have plenty of opportunities for young players.  

I mean they signed a guy from the 15th best league in the world (Shore) and gave him more games then some top 10 picks would get on other teams.  

If we had someone who was ready for the NHL, they would get a chance with the Canucks.

20 minutes ago, Cowichan Canuck said:

I think those sleeze bag teams with mcdavid and Matthews have moved on. 

I dont think the NHL works in such black and whites no matter what we think is "right"

its a business, businesses work on odds, run by humans that have various levels of integrities. 

Id like to add that I agree not trying is poor integrity, and benching healthy star players. 

Which is why no team tries to tank unless they are literally dismal and are runaway the bottom of the barrel. Because its a tough job, balancing the exposure given to kids and keeping the vets motivated, invested and trusting in the organization.