The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

45 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Well said. We have Hughes and I am excited now. I do not see why hockey fans feel the need to constantly disparage other teams prospects a couple days after the draft because they are not Canuck prospects. Very strange. What causes a person to do that? 

insecurity and lack of perspective.  

That said the Oilers suck so now so does Bouchard, and two days ago fan favourite Dobson too because there is no way him and Whalstrom plus Barzal are enough to keep Tavares interest and we should all pre-order his jersey now.  Oh and what's up with TO's new GM, he looks like Doogie Howser, straight out of high school and right to the draft table, no way his brain is big enough for that entourage and for sure he miffed on his trade AND all their picks are pansies.

2 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

You havent proved I am wrong on anything. we will see who is correct in about 4 months time. I disagree with you on the better fit. The oilers needed a shot from the point a better passer and a player that can play now.

They are better today than they were last week If you cant see that we have nothing more to talk about.You offer one opinion and when others dont agree you say we arent listening.

I am hearing what you are saying just not agreeing there is a difference.

So is every team.  We would be better if we took Dobson, Smith, or Wahlstrom.  Edmonton would be better if they took Woo or Miller.  The Oilers need a LOT of things, but going after specifics rather than an overall team strategy is not going to get them anywhere.  They need to build a team identity and imo they're not getting it done by trying to plug holes.  On the contrary, the Canucks are trying to build a fast-skating attacking team with 4 scoring lines.  All I can see from Edmonton is they want to re-create the 80s Oilers with McDavid as Gretzky, yet instead of surrounding him with Messier and Coffey they're bringing in Semenko and Smith.

4 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

It's funny how much things change after the draft and we see where players go.

Dobson went from the best skater among the top 5 defenseman to having question marks.

Bouchard went from a perfect powerplay defenseman and very good offensive defenseman (Edmonton's greatest need) to someone who won't help Edmonton's offense. 

Hughes went from a dynamic offensive defenseman who'll get abused by bigger players defensively with questionable character after skipping the combine to untouchable on the ice and a potential leader in the future. 

It's almost like people only hear what they want to hear and only believe what they want to believe. All of this was discussed at length before the draft and then there was a paradigm shift after Friday. 

The defining moment for me is how the draft went down and JB’s post pick reaction.  

I truly belive in thus clubs scouting.  JB got his guy. That was clear and that alone should speak volumes. What do I know as a fan compared to the guys who drafted Boeser, OJ, Pettersson, Gaudette etc..  since Judd Brackett this team has picked the right guy more than not. 

The reality is that Quinn was fully expected to be taken prior to our selection and many of us did want Dobson or Bouchard. They could still prove to be better picks. But our guy is Hughes. So enjoy his potential. 

JB had his choice of d man and choose Hughes over the other three.  I down with that. 

To the auto bashing of Bouchard and Dobson, still believe in them as a players. Don’t think anyone needs to smear other picks. 

14 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

The defining moment for me is how the draft went down and JB’s post pick reaction.  

I truly belive in thus clubs scouting.  JB got his guy. That was clear and that alone should speak volumes. What do I know as a fan compared to the guys who drafted Boeser, OJ, Pettersson, Gaudette etc..  since Judd Brackett this team has picked the right guy more than not. 

The reality is that Quinn was fully expected to be taken prior to our selection and many of us did want Dobson or Bouchard. They could still prove to be better picks. But our guy is Hughes. So enjoy his potential. 

JB had his choice of d man and choose Hughes over the other three.  I down with that. 

To the auto bashing of Bouchard and Dobson, still believe in them as a players. Don’t think anyone needs to smear other picks. 

Dobson was my guy but I had Hughes right behind. Time will tell who will be the better defenseman but I hope both can succeed to do well in this league.

9 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Canucks do a great job grabbing Hughes + Woo and shore up our D cupboard but Islanders and Detroit won the draft!

Easy when you have back to back picks just outside the top ten in a draft that was wide open.

The Isles deserve it though after so many misses with their 5th overall picks.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Easy when you have back to back picks just outside the top ten in a draft that was wide open.

The Isles deserve it though after so many misses with their 5th overall picks.

It doesnt hurt drafting Wilde in the second and grabbing in my opinion the best goalie in the draft either

5 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Dobson went from the best skater among the top 5 defenseman to having question marks.

Bouchard went from a perfect powerplay defenseman and very good offensive defenseman (Edmonton's greatest need) to someone who won't help Edmonton's offense. 

Hughes went from a dynamic offensive defenseman who'll get abused by bigger players defensively with questionable character after skipping the combine to untouchable on the ice and a potential leader in the future. 

It's almost like people only hear what they want to hear and only believe what they want to believe. All of this was discussed at length before the draft and then there was a paradigm shift after Friday. 

I don’t think anyone said Dobson is the best skater in this draft. 

57 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

It doesnt hurt drafting Wilde in the second and grabbing in my opinion the best goalie in the draft either

Both look good on paper but time will tell if they become players or not.

I think if Woo has a big season offensively next year we'll be saying we drafted a really good second rounder too. Wilde is great offensively but I like Woo's dfeensive game, physical play, and character better.

All in all I think both teams had a good draft. Maybe not as solid as our 2017 draft but I think we've got at least three guys who are good bets to be NHLers.

7 minutes ago, Shiftynifty said:

I don’t think anyone said Dobson is the best skater in this draft. 

I think taking Dobson would have been a safe pick much like the Juolevi pick. He doesn't do anything flashy, just a good all around D-man who's a winner.

We don't need safe right now though, we need dynamic players with our first round picks, and I think that's what we got with Hughes.

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

It’s simple.  Just watch the players’ feet as they turn, or accelerate.  Woo has quick feet.  Bouchard (especially) and Dobson don’t.  

My point is Woo, because of his natural muscle fibre can really improve on his first step.  The other two can’t.  

Last year showed us a Canucks team where key forwards were able to get into nice spots (Boeser and Horvat in particular), but the D didn't seem to be able to keep up, or were not able to receive passes or provide an extra player to make a 2 on 2 a 3 on 2. If Hughes can do this, the team is 20 to 30 goals better.  Admittedly, we lost the Sedins who provided those goals and more, but that's a different issue.  If Jet Woo has some of this same ability? And makes the team by February next year, lol this team is not the same team as last years.  (A bit more like Nashville maybe.) 

If Juolevi, Woo and Hughes all make the team by Feb. 2019?  Changes the look and style of the team hugely.   Throw in Pettersson, Dahlen and maybe Lind? I may have to get Cable again.  Not sure if Woo is ready by mid-point next year, but we can dream.

6 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Well said. We have Hughes and I am excited now. I do not see why hockey fans feel the need to constantly disparage other teams prospects a couple days after the draft because they are not Canuck prospects. Very strange. What causes a person to do that? 

Blind homerism.  I find most of CDC is sensible but there's one poster on these forums that's consistently out to lunch.  

1 minute ago, Pepe Silvia said:

We need names! Let's put him on blast!:lol:

I think it's fairly obvious, but I don't want to be rude so I'll leave it to people's imagination haha.  I admire being a true fan but it's a little much at times.  

6 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I was the most vocal supporter of Hughes all year and I had him at 4th on my list. I know that his skating is elite, I'm saying the consensus on the board went from an very good offensive player who'll get beat up defensively (Krug, Ghostisbehere type) to a more dynamic Kieth with leadership potential. The bias is real and powerful. 

Bouchard was generally regarded very smart offensive defenseman and a great PP QB but now the consensus seems to be that he'll struggle to put up points with McDavid and Draisaitl. I guarantee you he would be talked about as the next Carlson/Pietrangelo if he was drafted by the Canucks and Hughes would still be too small to ever play effective defense. 

There are so many people who didn't follow the draft at all who now know the future impact players will have.

Do you ever wonder if consensus on an arm chair hockey forum is incorrect? You seem to be basing everything on the fact CDC agreed on what players were. There’s a reason no one here is getting paid for their analysis. It’s fun to discuss hockey and everyone does have some knowledge, but it’s just as much possible that CDC missed the reality on the consensus beforehand and then after the draft coalesced on the proper analysis. There’s a reason Benning could hardly contain himself when he got to choose Hughes and his eye in the draft has put us in the best depth we’ve had in probably decades. Benning > CDC.

9 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Archived