The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Flyers trade Brayden Schenn to Blues for Jori Lehtera, 27th overall pick, 2018 conditional 1st-round pick

25 minutes ago, billabong said:

Schenn will finally get to play C and Stl dumps lehteras 4.7m cap hit 

big win for Stl schenn is a wrecking ball who can score

I thought the concern was that he was only scoring on the PP and that they wanted someone who could also score at 5v5 - only 4 of his 25 goals was at 5v5.

Flyers may still come out fine with their prospects down the road but this was a terrible trade for them. Might as well reset the rebuild and look to move Simmons, Voracek, and Giroux if possible. This only makes their biggest weakness weaker.

8 hours ago, Baka said:

Flyers may still come out fine with their prospects down the road but this was a terrible trade for them. Might as well reset the rebuild and look to move Simmons, Voracek, and Giroux if possible. This only makes their biggest weakness weaker.

Hmm.  We let go a guy who is great on the powerplay but not at even strength.  We just drafted Nolan Patrick.  So add him to Giroux, Couturier and Fippula, he is the 2nd or 3rd line center this year.  Our wingers are Simmonds, Voracek, Konecny, Lindblom, Weise, Vecchione and Weal if we sign him to a contract which I think we will.  Read and Raffl could bounce back this year.  Jori Lehtera might turn around his career playing with a fellow Finn like Fippula.  Our defense, well, I'm excited.  Be nice to get rid of MacDonald but whatever.  It's Andy, Gudas, Provorov, Ghost and our young defensemen of Morin, Sanheim, Hagg and Myers.  We have 12 million in cap space so I am liking next season.  Youth movement begins.

16 hours ago, swflyers8 said:

Hmm.  We let go a guy who is great on the powerplay but not at even strength.  We just drafted Nolan Patrick.  So add him to Giroux, Couturier and Fippula, he is the 2nd or 3rd line center this year.  Our wingers are Simmonds, Voracek, Konecny, Lindblom, Weise, Vecchione and Weal if we sign him to a contract which I think we will.  Read and Raffl could bounce back this year.  Jori Lehtera might turn around his career playing with a fellow Finn like Fippula.  Our defense, well, I'm excited.  Be nice to get rid of MacDonald but whatever.  It's Andy, Gudas, Provorov, Ghost and our young defensemen of Morin, Sanheim, Hagg and Myers.  We have 12 million in cap space so I am liking next season.  Youth movement begins.

Beginning a youth movement by dumping a 25 year old near 60 point winger but keeping your late 20's players?

The issue I have with this is you should want to put the best team out their to contend for a cup. I could see them making the playoffs next year but not as a legit contender. By the time most of those younger players develop their current best players will be hitting that decline age. Even if Konecny fills Schenn's role as well as he did it also doesn't justify the return. They added another center with the draft pick and the other late first round pick next year that will be used on a player that may not be relevant for another 3-5 years. They could have at least moved Schenn for something that helps your near future roster.

As said I think they can be a playoff team but I am not sold that they will contend for an actual cup in for the foreseeable future. I feel the Flyers have been poorly managed for some time now. A lot of questionable moves where the payoff never had much potential.

46 minutes ago, Baka said:

Beginning a youth movement by dumping a 25 year old near 60 point winger but keeping your late 20's players?

The issue I have with this is you should want to put the best team out their to contend for a cup. I could see them making the playoffs next year but not as a legit contender. By the time most of those younger players develop their current best players will be hitting that decline age. Even if Konecny fills Schenn's role as well as he did it also doesn't justify the return. They added another center with the draft pick and the other late first round pick next year that will be used on a player that may not be relevant for another 3-5 years. They could have at least moved Schenn for something that helps your near future roster.

As said I think they can be a playoff team but I am not sold that they will contend for an actual cup in for the foreseeable future. I feel the Flyers have been poorly managed for some time now. A lot of questionable moves where the payoff never had much potential.

Let's see how Schenn does in St. Louis. I read somewhere that he had 14 even strength points and only 4 even strength goals! 2 firsts is a pretty nice haul for him imo 

1 hour ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

Let's see how Schenn does in St. Louis. I read somewhere that he had 14 even strength points and only 4 even strength goals! 2 firsts is a pretty nice haul for him imo 

He had 27 even strength points, 8 goals. He was 7th overall in PP points and tied for 1st in PP goals in the NHL. He may also get a bit more ice time in STL in general.

I think you missed my point though. I have no issue with the return price but I have an issue with the move in regards to the logic of it. They don't seem to have a sense of direction for the team. Ether rebuild or try to win by filling out your current core. Trading one of the better PP players in the NHL for draft picks and taking a center despite your teams logjam at that position screams we are rebuilding in which case players like Giroux, Simmonds, and Voracek should also be shopped. All the Flyers have done is waste the prime years of their current core by making backwards moves. Commit to a rebuild or commit to filling out what you had.

20 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Until Philly gets some new Goaltending they will continue to suck, shocked how long they have stuck with Mason time to move on, then they may have a chance one day.

Just an FYI, the Flyers have drafted 5 goalies in the last 3 drafts and to be fair to Mason he had some strong seasons in Philly (outside of this season he gave them a .917 to .928 save percentage per season which was hardly a liability). Keep in mind while Philly had an amazing farm of defensemen they were in development and the actual defensemen line up they were running was one of the worst in the NHL while the forwards provided shallow scoring. It kind of goes back to my point about the Flyers managements lack of committing to a rebuild or trying to win. Mason is also a free agent currently.

Beginning a youth movement by dumping a 25 year old near 60 point winger

Who can't score at even strength?  

2 firsts is a pretty nice haul for him imo 

Exactly.

Trading one of the better PP players in the NHL for draft picks and taking a center despite your teams logjam at that position screams we are rebuilding in which case players like Giroux, Simmonds, and Voracek should also be shopped. All the Flyers have done is waste the prime years of their current core by making backwards moves. Commit to a rebuild or commit to filling out what you had.

He is a good powerplay guy, Schenn.  That's great, we had more problems scoring at even strength and that's what he didn't do it.  Fans waited for 6 years for Schenn be a breakout star.  I like our group with Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Fippula, Couturier, Konency, Weise, Vecchione, Read and Weal if he doesn't sign with your Canucks. There are plenty of good goalies to choose from, I would like Mason but he doesn't want to platoon.  We have Stolarz, Hart, Lyon, Sandstrom so we should be back in the mix. 

5 hours ago, Baka said:

Just an FYI, the Flyers have drafted 5 goalies in the last 3 drafts and to be fair to Mason he had some strong seasons in Philly (outside of this season he gave them a .917 to .928 save percentage per season which was hardly a liability). Keep in mind while Philly had an amazing farm of defensemen they were in development and the actual defensemen line up they were running was one of the worst in the NHL while the forwards provided shallow scoring. It kind of goes back to my point about the Flyers managements lack of committing to a rebuild or trying to win. Mason is also a free agent currently.

Well yeah they're D sucked too, but the last couple years I've noticed Mason has been going downhill, 2 years ago Neuvirth out played Mason and last year they both sucked. Just saying imo they need to move on from Mason don't resign him and find someone else if they want a chance.

19 hours ago, swflyers8 said:

Who can't score at even strength?  

Exactly.

He is a good powerplay guy, Schenn.  That's great, we had more problems scoring at even strength and that's what he didn't do it.  Fans waited for 6 years for Schenn be a breakout star.  I like our group with Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Fippula, Couturier, Konency, Weise, Vecchione, Read and Weal if he doesn't sign with your Canucks. There are plenty of good goalies to choose from, I would like Mason but he doesn't want to platoon.  We have Stolarz, Hart, Lyon, Sandstrom so we should be back in the mix. 

I'm not a Canucks fan, I am a Flyers fan who lives in Philly xD

I have heard that Schenn can't score even strength a lot in this thread but let me leave this stat here. 

Even Strength Stats

Schenn (79 Games)

G: 8

A: 19

P: 27

Even Strength TOI: 14:03

Giroux (82 Games)

G: 9

A: 18

P: 27

Even Srength TOI: 15:07

Again though you are missing the point in why I said it's a dumb move. Yes, it is brutally obvious that the Flyers have more issues on the team but this move does not help those issues.

- Does Jori Lehtera fix a single problem the Flyers have?

- Does Morgan Frost our 300th center on the roster now solve any of those issues?

The only thing this trade does is weaken the Flyers PP. Even if Frost ends up being a good player when will he be relevant? When Giroux is 33 or 34? And even then what are the odds he will be anymore productive than Schenn currently is?

When do you see the Flyers winning a cup with that roster you listed? What you listed was a bunch of good but aging players and a bunch of raw prospects. By the time most of those prospects develop enough to be difference makers assuming they don't bust your current core players are on the wrong side of 30. Like I said they may make the playoffs a few years as a bottom half team and get put down but Hextall has been overrated. Commit to rebuilding or commit to winning and stop making moves that contradict each other.

I am saying this as a Flyers fan who has a bias to Flyers players. There is no reason anyone should see this team as a cup threat anytime soon.

18 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well yeah they're D sucked too, but the last couple years I've noticed Mason has been going downhill, 2 years ago Neuvirth out played Mason and last year they both sucked. Just saying imo they need to move on from Mason don't resign him and find someone else if they want a chance.

I believe Mason got hurt 2 years ago and Neuvirth just happened to have a hot streak. They just road the hot streak while it lasted and rightfully so but that's all it was, just a hot streak. You can't argue against playing a goalie with a .924 save percentage. 

As said I have no issue with them moving on from Mason he isn't a special goalie by any means but you need a solution. Which goalie can they sign that gives them a better chance? Or do they dip into their prospect pool and commit to the rebuild and the potential growing pains of a young goalie? My point was I didn't see Philly having many better options than Mason in years past. He was good enough on a reasonable contract on a team with a tight cap situation.

When do you see the Flyers winning a cup with that roster you listed? What you listed was a bunch of good but aging players and a bunch of raw prospects. By the time most of those prospects develop enough to be difference makers assuming they don't bust your current core players are on the wrong side of 30. Like I said they may make the playoffs a few years as a bottom half team and get put down but Hextall has been overrated. Commit to rebuilding or commit to winning and stop making moves that contradict each other.

I am saying this as a Flyers fan who has a bias to Flyers players. There is no reason anyone should see this team as a cup threat anytime soon.

Good but aging players?  Our top 3 in Simmonds, Giroux and Voracek are in their late 20s, not late thirties.  Our conference is a tough conference and our division is one of the toughest in the league.  Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Holtby, Murray, Bobrovsky, Panarin, Tavares.  We have been building up the roster, Hextall learned that in LA.  The d prospects are getting their shot now to play with a couple of vets.  We have some top vets in Simmonds, G, and Voracek, Fippula,  Raffl, Couturier and grit guys like Weise, Lehtera and Konecny will get more time.  Lindblom was playing the Swedish Elite League.  22-25 for 47 points in 52 games against men.   And Nolan Patrick isn't half bad.  Morgan Frost is years away from playing.  There are plenty of decent goalies that can work well with Neuvy.

Finally, that's your opinion about what the Flyers are or aren't.  I guess they should say well screw it, we won't play and not try.  Give me a break.  Older players gone, younger players given the reigns finally and I look forward to it.

Archived