The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Puck 2017/18

Let me tell you a little story.

The year was 2016. My Rangers had recently taken over 1st in the division, and trade deadline was approaching. I didn't make too many deals, aside from wasting a pick to get Rob Scuderi (since I was so confident LA would go far), and trading Purcell to get a pick back (which cost me my playoff series).

I did however sign a couple of long shot free agents, thinking they might play later in the playoffs due to their teammates getting injured. One of which was Nic Dowd, who I knew very little about. He didn't play, as LA was terrible and bowed out early.

Dowd came into training camp the following season and was dynamite. Not only did he earn a roster spot, he lead the team in points a month in! He would cool off after that, but was still a very useful player. However, LA weren't the contender of years past, so he was dealt for Lars Eller. He did well - he went on a little hot streak after picking him up, and provided some playoff value.

Then this happened:

To NYR: Henrik Sedin (50%retained), Daniel Sedin (50% retained), 2018 CGY 4th

To VGK: David Krejci

To CGY: Lars Eller

Sure, some playoff value was lost, but leadership was gained. Easy decision to make Henrik the new captain, and give Daniel the A, in what could be their final season.

That, is how to turn a hail mary signing into a captain. What are you thankful for today?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

2 minutes ago, Sestito'sHandMadeVodka said:

Didn't someone waive him like 3 days ago? Does this work like the NHL, 30 days on the active roster, or the team that waived originally can take him back and auto-place him on their AHL team?

The original team he was waived (@apollo) from has first dibs on claiming him and putting him into his team's minors.

We don't have the 30 day waiver-free period as it would require a lot of extra manual work on Fantrax for the commissioner group to keep sending g the player down.

35 minutes ago, Captain Azzy said:

https://twitter.com/scottcwheeler/status/917417757452402688

Already got a free 2nd for Pickard, now potentially another one for Shipachyov :o

McPhee hasn't really impressed, has he.

He was handed some extremely favourable terms for the ED (virtually fail-proof) - and I have to say, I'm shocked at how poorly he's taking advantage of some of the cookies he was given.

imageproxy.jpg.3e15ee7ae03527149adeafdac508d3a5.jpg

League Announcement

"Tanking"

Although in past seasons we have not spent a lot of effort or time watching for this, the principals expected of each GM is to actively improve his/her team.

This includes striving to ice a full team of active NHLers, which can be done through signing available free agents or trading for depth from fellow GM's).

The opposite of this principal is to "tank" in order to have a better chance of drafting in a higher position, and in fantasy hockey this would mean purposely not setting or even removing players from the active lineup in Fantrax who are a playing. This will be casually monitored and corrected with potential further consequences.

20 minutes ago, somethingvery said:

imageproxy.jpg.3e15ee7ae03527149adeafdac508d3a5.jpg

League Announcement

"Tanking"

Although in past seasons we have not spent a lot of effort or time watching for this, the principals expected of each GM is to actively improve his/her team.

This includes striving to ice a full team of active NHLers, which can be done through signing available free agents or trading for depth from fellow GM's).

The opposite of this principal is to "tank" in order to have a better chance of drafting in a higher position, and in fantasy hockey this would mean purposely not setting or even removing players from the active lineup in Fantrax who are a playing. This will be casually monitored and corrected with potential further consequences.

Aka the "Sham-o-plan" (short version of Sham of a plan).

And I'd add - an utterly horrible strategy in this league, where a mid to late pick can easily wind up as good or better fantasy scorer in this system (ie a guy that adds grit to their scoring) than a lottery pick - and odds are, on a better team as well.

If we're not taking every advantage to improve our team - in both the short and long term - we're not doing a very good job imo.

Archived