The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Georgy Massey Bridge Project Cancelled

kingofsurrey

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

It's funny because he is a staunch ndp supporter and the ndp in Saskatchewan(they were in powere there for a better part of a century) would never have done what the ndp in Alberta did. It's also funny coming from a staunch ndp supporter that he supports small farms being put out of business.

Yet again, absolutely ZERO ability to refute anything I've said or the facts I've posted.

How sad.

51 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

How did they run Alberta into the ground? No pst, no msp, highest paid doctors, nurses and teachers. Alberta was debt free at one point and money was given back to every Alberta citizen.

What economic leadership has the ndp shown? They have taxed almost everything you can think of and they are still running a massive 10.5 billion dollar defecit.

You should let your family in Alberta know they're in the very small minority. The ndp hasn't lead in the polls in 2 years and right now they would be absolutely smashed if an election was called.

It's cute you kep referencing polls

Yet...also state polls are garbage in the trump thread.

It's even more cute how you absolutely cannot understand how easy it is to ride resource riches to success then completely blame someone else the moment those riches aren't there anymore.

Now, care to address the bridge issues I've pointed out or do you want to keep tossing strawman arguments in sad attempts to avoid answering to the facts presented

On 9/6/2017 at 11:44 PM, Warhippy said:

I'm actually going to chime in here based on actual experience  As an ironworker I had the opportunity to build numerous bridges in my professional life before my accident.  This plan was ill conceived from the start.  It would have created enormous bottlenecks and had tolls in excess of $4 per one way to pay it off.  Effectively not helping anything or anyone from the moment it would be finished.

I worked on the William Bennett Bridge in kelowna.  Our engineers laughed at it as did we.  Tossing 3 lanes in and 3 lanes out of Kelowna in to a 4 lane access with multiple lights within 300 meters only exacerbated the problem.  What was once basically a near seamless intersection now sees regular backups from the lakefront all the way back up the hill in to Westbank multiple times a day.

Slamming 10 lanes in to a 6 lane thoroughfare is the worst possible plan of action when a smaller more effective bridge made of composite materials in a cable stay manner and then having the tunnel rebuilt or retrofitted makes more sense economically as well as in an urban planning sense for traffic flow, doing that is like trying to shove a foot long sub down your gullet.

The NDP are doing what they promised in their platform by sending this for independent review, much like Site C.  I am very much pro work but am also even more pro common sense.  A 10 lane bridge made very little sense and the price tag was ridiculous when weighed against the potential benefits. 

I actually applaud this move which in no way shuts down the project but just shelves it until actual options are considered which will be more cost effective but also more common sense for future growth and needs.

Are they actually building a 10 lane bridge or are they going to build a 10 lane future capacity bridge? Sort of like how the Alex Fraser was originally 4 lanes widened to 6. Seems to me it'd be prudent to at least have some sort of future capacity built in, just because it's "10 lanes" doesn't mean it needs to be that way immediately.

So basically the Liberals paid their buddies to come up with a solution to fix the tunnel situation.  They came up with one that would provide their buddies with the contract.

Now the NDP have come in and put a stop on it so they could pay their buddies to come up with a solution.  No doubt one that will provide their buddies with a contract.

All on the taxpayers dime.

Fun stuff!

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It's cute you kep referencing polls

Yet...also state polls are garbage in the trump thread.

It's even more cute how you absolutely cannot understand how easy it is to ride resource riches to success then completely blame someone else the moment those riches aren't there anymore.

Now, care to address the bridge issues I've pointed out or do you want to keep tossing strawman arguments in sad attempts to avoid answering to the facts presented

Strawman? Lol please. I have never blamed the ndp for the oil crash that doesn't even make sense, I do blame them for almost taxing everything.

As for the bridge I don't care for the lower mainland at all and furthermore if B.Cers enjoy there India like traffic congestion so be it. I will however start flying down because driving through Kelowna to get to Penticton has become a nightmare.

5 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

Are they actually building a 10 lane bridge or are they going to build a 10 lane future capacity bridge? Sort of like how the Alex Fraser was originally 4 lanes widened to 6. Seems to me it'd be prudent to at least have some sort of future capacity built in, just because it's "10 lanes" doesn't mean it needs to be that way immediately.

10 lane yes.  But it's not the size of the bridge in questionbut more the ability to process that amount of traffic on the other side all without a transit lane or anything for rail/sky train.

The bridge could be 100 lanes wide but without the capacity to process the volume of traffic it's just going to end up in gridlock

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Strawman? Lol please. I have never blamed the ndp for the oil crash that doesn't even make sense, I do blame them for almost taxing everything.

As for the bridge I don't care for the lower mainland at all and furthermore if B.Cers enjoy there India like traffic congestion so be it. I will however start flying down because driving through Kelowna to get to Penticton has become a nightmare.

Yet here you are.  The William Bennett Bridge was ill concieved and has caused nothing but issues and compounded the pre existing problems Kleowna has.

Strawman yes.  I keep posting facts to refute your claims of the NDP being terrible for Alberta.  You keep responding with "polls" If I post a fcat about an economic stat and you then post an argument outside of the parameters of the argument in question to defelct.  That's a strawman

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

10 lane yes.  But it's not the size of the bridge in questionbut more the ability to process that amount of traffic on the other side all without a transit lane or anything for rail/sky train.

The bridge could be 100 lanes wide but without the capacity to process the volume of traffic it's just going to end up in gridlock

Yeah I haven't lived in the Lower Mainland for 18 years so I honestly have no idea about these things, I do like the idea of a bridge though, I hate going through that tunnel when I visit my family.

Just now, canuckster19 said:

Yeah I haven't lived in the Lower Mainland for 18 years so I honestly have no idea about these things, I do like the idea of a bridge though, I hate going through that tunnel when I visit my family.

Just reading the proposal and trying to envision what it would be like shoving that much extra traffic in to a corridor that cannot be expanded to accomodate is crazy.  And no rail lane or access ove the bridge either.

For almost $4 billion....we can do better

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Yet here you are.  The William Bennett Bridge was ill concieved and has caused nothing but issues and compounded the pre existing problems Kleowna has.

Strawman yes.  I keep posting facts to refute your claims of the NDP being terrible for Alberta.  You keep responding with "polls" If I post a fcat about an economic stat and you then post an argument outside of the parameters of the argument in question to defelct.  That's a strawman

What facts? Get real hip you argued they hadn't raised taxes, they have taxed almost anything you can think of. For crying out loud I think the fuel tax was 10 or 12 cents a litre alone. 

Btw I'm not a bridge building guru but I'm sure you are...

What I do know is Vancouver traffic is some of the worst in the industrialized world.

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

What facts? Get real hip you argued they hadn't raised taxes, they have taxed almost anything you can think of. For crying out loud I think the fuel tax was 10 or 12 cents a litre alone. 

Btw I'm not a bridge building guru but I'm sure you are...

What I do know is Vancouver traffic is some of the worst in the industrialized world.

I never said they didn't raise taxes.  I said they raised them to Klein levels.  That carbon/fuel tax was coming no matter what.  The option was keeping the money in the province or watching the feds take it.

Which would you have preferred?

I'm no guru but I've built a few spans in my life.  The William Bennett Bridge in Kelowna was a nightmare in the making and every issues spoken of has come true.  Now to do the same in vancouver with this proposal would be idiocy.  A bridge that would look a lot like a parking lot 2 or 3 times a day for almost $4 billion.

Sign me up!

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Oh ya.  Was there last in the 80's.  Triple cheese, extra cheese, bacon.  Fabulous.  Never wasted space on a shake.  If the NDP ruin small business, and Peter's goes under, that's just the worst.

That place will never go under way to busy

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Show me your facts then that dispute what I've said.

That's all you have to do.  Something current.  To within the last 60 days.

This post would be regarding the farming considering you responded to me after I was responded to Forsberg. Maybe familiarize your self with bill 6. I find it funny that a staunch ndper like yourself doesn't mind seeing small farms out of business in favour of big corporate farms taking over. Pretty hypocritical thinking for an ndper.

Just now, Warhippy said:

I never said they didn't raise taxes.  I said they raised them to Klein levels.  That carbon/fuel tax was coming no matter what.  The option was keeping the money in the province or watching the feds take it.

Which would you have preferred?

I'm no guru but I've built a few spans in my life.  The William Bennett Bridge in Kelowna was a nightmare in the making and every issues spoken of has come true.  Now to do the same in vancouver with this proposal would be idiocy.  A bridge that would look a lot like a parking lot 2 or 3 times a day for almost $4 billion.

Sign me up!

So what are the alternatives to get traffic flowing better down there? You can't think like KOS and just shut down all projects. As for the Kelowna bridge is it the problem or is the problem there are lights at every intersection? Maybe off ramps, over passes etc would help Kelowna.

I can agree that bridge isn't the best but the old bridge needed replacing much like a lot of B.Cs infrastructure.

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

This post would be regarding the farming considering you responded to me after I was responded to Forsberg. Maybe familiarize your self with bill 6. I find it funny that a staunch ndper like yourself doesn't mind seeing small farms out of business in favour of big corporate farms taking over. Pretty hypocritical thinking for an ndper.

That is a strawman.

Claiming I would like to see small business go under without any shred of proof.  All to avoid the argument or avoid posting credible facts as a counter argument.  That is the epitome of a strawman argument.

BIll 6's most contentious issues were ensuring that WCB coverage was afforded to farm workers but also to ensure that farms and workplaces were OSHA certified and safe.  That is ONLY for farms with paid employees.

I might add that some of Albertas Agrifood leaders are now coming out stating that the bill is in fact a good thing, including Lynn Jacobson who stated the change has been positive and beneficial and that the coverage and costs are for better than any insurance package previously offered to farmers in the province in the past

Sorry bud, you'll NEVER convince me that it is ok for employers to voluntarily withhold compensatory coverage for employees.  I've had to cover my arse in the past in any number of provinces and in 3 different countries with workers compensation coverage.  For the costs associated, if this is what buries some farmers so be it.  Because to claim it is this and none of the other associated isues I mentioned (again see the bills tabled and omnibus legislation for the posted years I mentioned) is farcicle.  

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

So what are the alternatives to get traffic flowing better down there? You can't think like KOS and just shut down all projects. As for the Kelowna bridge is it the problem or is the problem there are lights at every intersection? Maybe off ramps, over passes etc would help Kelowna.

I can agree that bridge isn't the best but the old bridge needed replacing much like a lot of B.Cs infrastructure.

I'd have to shove my head pretty far up somewhere to think like that and there's only room for one head at a time there.

Less lights, a dedicated bypass to the Coq from say Vernon or Winfield are the answers for Kelowna.  Honestly, 3 traffic lights within 200 meters of the bridge is a joke.  For Vancouver, there is no easy answer due to the geology and geography of the area.  Force more mass transit in to the area is about the most sensible, but this bridge is sheer idiocy for the cost and what it brings.  

*For the record, you're still one of my favorite posters here and I love going back and forth with ya

Archived