The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2017-18 (One GM position open!)

canuck2xtreme

51 minutes ago, gmen81 said:

I feel a big sense of accomplishment when i draft a player in one of the leagues on here and he gets drafted higher IRL or makes an impact with whatever team he is on the following year. I feel that since I drafted these guys I want to see them grow while they are a part of my team. Just wouldn't feel the same if I traded them away. Not saying I wouldn't trade them away though. 

Ive always wondered if their was someway to increase trades or have more roster turnover. Like say you are only allowed to sign X amount of RFA's and X amount of UFA's. Then when it comes to the deadline or before free agency you can either trade those players  or risk losing them to free agency. I know certain keeper leagues especially NFL have something similar. Not sure how hard it would be to keep track or if it makes any sense at all, but just thought I'd throw it out there 

We tried that once.  People kinda hated it. :lol:

That is a great sig! I guess no traction with the inverted draft lotto odds to try to keep teams not shooting for the post season from crippling their teams in the chase for a high end draft pick? Its okay if no one likes the idea, but I rather felt it was a clever use of the lotto to incentivize anti tanking behaviour and help push teams to ice a full roster. 

6 hours ago, Monty said:

Question regarding this. First off, I’m thankful I’ve never been one of those people you mention above. Had I ever been approached and then subsequently responded that way, I’d be pretty ashamed.

Now to my question. Do organizations that have spent more on Player Relations receive more leeway on player usage? While I’m finishing up my 3rd season here, I still consider myself a newbie, so I apologize for some of my stupid questions.

No. The budget impacts free agent signings, NTC/NMC requests or signings and that sort of thing.  But it doesn't give a team more leeway in playing a 20 minute a night defenceman in a #6-7 role.

21 minutes ago, canuck2xtreme said:

Big props to aGENT for the awesome new sig!

Figure I'd give myself a new one as well :lol:

7 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

That is a great sig! I guess no traction with the inverted draft lotto odds to try to keep teams not shooting for the post season from crippling their teams in the chase for a high end draft pick? Its okay if no one likes the idea, but I rather felt it was a clever use of the lotto to incentivize anti tanking behaviour and help push teams to ice a full roster. 

Probably over complicate something that's pretty straight forward right now (and more realistic) IMO.

I use Microsoft Paint for my sigs....its ahhh probably obvious. lol. Were I more talented I would make a sweet Patrik Laine, Juuse Saros and Olli Juolevi sig of them in Finnish National Jerseys and a "NHL Needs More Sisu" slogan, hahaha...also I love the Canucks watermark on your sig, I would DEF put something similar to that on my new sig...you know, if i had the talent and program better than MS Paint. 

>.>

<.<

0.O

Anyone Mind making me a sig?  (oh and a cool Optimus Prime Head shot somewhere with my nameplate would be amazballs.

2 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

I use Microsoft Paint for my sigs....its ahhh probably obvious. lol. Were I more talented I would make a sweet Patrik Laine, Juuse Saros and Olli Juolevi sig of them in Finnish National Jerseys and a "NHL Needs More Sisu" slogan, hahaha...also I love the Canucks watermark on your sig, I would DEF put something similar to that on my new sig...you know, if i had the talent and program better than MS Paint. 

>.>

<.<

0.O

Hide contents

Anyone Mind making me a sig?  (oh and a cool Optimus Prime Head shot somewhere with my nameplate would be amazballs.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want :lol:

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Probably over complicate something that's pretty straight forward right now (and more realistic) IMO.

One thing I might not mind adjusting...  perhaps worth considering to have teams that have won the lottery in the last say... 3 seasons, moved to the bottom of the odds list.  To encourage teams to make their best effort. 

So to use the NHL as an example.  Buffalo gets the first overall pick this year.  Next year if they miss the playoffs, they'd have the lowest odds to win it again.  And the following season, if they miss again, they'd have the second worst odds in the lottery.

So you know, the exact same thing the NHL SHOULD have done before the Oilers picked first overall what, 5 out of 7 years?

3 hours ago, _arby_18 said:

I find that in this league, I usually have to reach out for trade talks. Only a handful approach me, despite the posts that I put in the thread about players being available. Not sure what that says about the turnover of my team lol, but yeah, it would be nice to log in and see some more PM's in my inbox that weren't iniated by me.

I've found that GMs end up getting a reputation.

Once they find out you won't let them fleece you and deal your young top 6 winger for a pending UFA 3rd liner and a 3rd round pick, they don't talk to you anymore. :lol:

7 hours ago, canuck2xtreme said:

I absolutely agree with that.  And I've tried repeatedly to enforce the roster reality aspect.

And what do I get every time I do?  Arguing, complaining and finger pointing.  "That's his role on the team he accepted it when he signed!"  "If this team has this guy in this role then I should be able to have this guy in that role!"  "I'm managing my team and being realistic! I'm trying to build for the future!" 

I've had players DEMAND trades, only to have those demands go unanswered. Said players, by the way, are still on those teams, and are producing quite well for them.  Basically, I was ignored.  Players who were playing top end minutes filling top end roles, but buried on their GML team rosters bottom 6 or 3rd D pairing. 

Very transparent answer, I love it!  :wub:

Look, one of the special points about GML is that it's players are to be respected, even as per the cba. Then there is the ''players,'' as in GM's in the game. Who can be mad if a player demands a trade.  It's just part of the game. 

And teams have to be respected as well. You, nor they, wont have to take it personally. There is a contract in place. Or the players rights as drafted through age 27. The team, my opinion, should have no obligation to make a trade if they feel they get worthwhile value from that player in a depth role.  But... 

There are obvious ways to deal with that. We have had some high profile rookies play an entire year in real life. But not be respected with a GML contract. They could demand a trade & refuse to sign. Go back in the draft. RFA & UFA guys sitting deep on a roster can be the ones who hold out.  And the agents can be instructed, at one point we had a ''rumour mill,'' to let the market know players may want an offer or to be moved. And being fair again, guys tend to accept depth roles if the team is great & has a chance to win.  

But in real life there is a Ryan O'Reilly every year or so. A hard ass who wants top dollar and everyone seems to know it. A Kesler who does not want to be on a sucky team. In the CDCPuck league, @Captain Azzy as agent / exec decided Tyson Barrie, my high profile RFA was going to get what he wanted. And demanded it aggressively. I did end up trading him. Then he even signed an offer sheet away from the team I traded him to. I thought it was terribly fun! Teams buzzing with rumours could be candidates for a hard ass? And every team something, once every 3 or 4 years. A piece of fun to deal with?

Part of what these leagues are about!    

41 minutes ago, aGENT said:

:ph34r:  Should your siggy, based on Canuck Talk drivel not be ''Trade your Tanev's!''  

I love the signature for C2X though...

Remember when we used to have that rumor mill account that would post updates of players who are available and which players were unhappy with their roles? We should bring that back. It's one thing to send a GM a note that their player is unhappy, but maybe it's another to let all 31 GM's know. Just a thought.

41 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

:ph34r:  Should your siggy, based on Canuck Talk drivel not be ''Trade your Tanev's!''  

I love the signature for C2X though...

I feel like Edler is the Rodney Dangerfield of the Canucks. Guy gets no respect for how good he's been shouldering a #1D load with #2D size shoulders all these years. Consider it a public service :lol:

49 minutes ago, canuck2xtreme said:

One thing I might not mind adjusting...  perhaps worth considering to have teams that have won the lottery in the last say... 3 seasons, moved to the bottom of the odds list.  To encourage teams to make their best effort. 

So to use the NHL as an example.  Buffalo gets the first overall pick this year.  Next year if they miss the playoffs, they'd have the lowest odds to win it again.  And the following season, if they miss again, they'd have the second worst odds in the lottery.

So you know, the exact same thing the NHL SHOULD have done before the Oilers picked first overall what, 5 out of 7 years?

If a team is actively managing a rebuilding cycle. With a plan in place to make the team better on a medium or long term? That should be fine.

I continue to suggest that same concept about fielding a legit team while doing it as the solution. In one of my leagues Jiri Hudler was still on a teams active rosters till January last year. While trading away roster players for guys that were not in the NHL. Had 6 or 7 phantom bodies on their roster.  That should be bogus. While they had those phantom bodies, they suggested I should give them draft picks to take on a non playoff player. 

It works the other way too... Having to have legit NHL players, that 18 or 19 rule of guys playing games I suggested? Means there is also an active market for fringe players & guys on non playoff teams. Which accomplishes more competitiveness, without a penalty impacting draft picks.       

1 hour ago, canuck2xtreme said:

I've found that GMs end up getting a reputation.

Once they find out you won't let them fleece you and deal your young top 6 winger for a pending UFA 3rd liner and a 3rd round pick, they don't talk to you anymore. :lol:

mine must be "talks too much but trades awesome prospects for good players". o.O

Archived