The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Fantasy League 2017-18 (Contact Nail if interested)

Nail

11 minutes ago, Monty said:

The Jets had two things to do this off-season:

1. Get a capable 1a goaltender to help Hellebuyck

2. Hire new coaching staff

They took a step back by getting one of the least consistent goaltenders in the NHL. :( 

I have Hellebuyck and acquired Rinne.

Does that pass muster?

1 minute ago, theminister said:

I have Hellebuyck and acquired Rinne.

Does that pass muster?

For the next two years, until the Jets actual “goalie of the future” gets thrown to the wolves playing behind a terribly coached team.

19 minutes ago, Monty said:

The Jets had two things to do this off-season:

1. Get a capable 1a goaltender to help Hellebuyck

2. Hire new coaching staff

They took a step back by getting one of the least consistent goaltenders in the NHL. :( 

I agree, but I think #2 may be standing in the way of progress moreso than signing Mason.

how Maurice continues to get such mediocre results out of that group is impressive.

2 minutes ago, theminister said:

Maurice won't last that long.

I mean...he can't...right?!?

He can't.

There are people in here who have more authority than me who can answer this (you, Squeak), but he certainly shouldn’t last that long.

The problem I see is, as long as the team shows improvements and gets close to a playoff spot or even squeaks in, then he’s fine. The only way I see him gone is if the Jets go 10-20 in the first few months. Otherwise, it’s status quo.

But seriously, Steve Mason? F*ckin’ really?

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I agree, but I think #2 may be standing in the way of progress moreso than signing Mason.

how Maurice continues to get such mediocre results out of that group is impressive.

Absolutely. Thing is, Hellebuyck didn’t play badly last year, especially for a rookie goaltender. He just needed a consistent 1a to help him, ALONG with a newly coached team.

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

At the current rate, who lasts longer? Maurice, or Bergevin?

Definitely Maurice. At least Maurice had the excuse that he doesn’t have a top 20 goaltender to work with.

Bergevin has the second best goaltender in the NHL (sorry, he’s no Holtby). But a world class goaltender, trading away Subban, trading away Sergachev, the Alzner contract? 

It’s not that the Canadiens are bad, but he hasn’t maximized the team in front of one of the best goaltenders nearly as well as he should have.

6 hours ago, Monty said:

Definitely Maurice. At least Maurice had the excuse that he doesn’t have a top 20 goaltender to work with.

Bergevin has the second best goaltender in the NHL (sorry, he’s no Holtby). But a world class goaltender, trading away Subban, trading away Sergachev, the Alzner contract? 

It’s not that the Canadiens are bad, but he hasn’t maximized the team in front of one of the best goaltenders nearly as well as he should have.

I disagree with you on this one.

I think Maurice should be gone before Bergevin - at least hope that's the case.

Don't get me wrong - I don't like Bergevin - have no confidence in him - but for different reasons.

Alzner - nothing wrong with that signing imo - he's a 20 minute top 4 who handled harder minutes than anyone else on the Caps blueline - a pretty decent shutdown D with over 250 hits and blocks, a +23 in that role - and best of all, he taunts guys like Lucic with crybaby gestures.   4.6 per isn't bad at all for a solid 20 minute defenseman.

What I don't like about Bergevin - dealing Sergachev and a 2nd for Drouin - my guess is that it turns out to be a horrible deal for Montreal - no fan of Drouin at all, and just can't see him as a center in the long run. 

In addition to dealing Sergachev he also dumped Beaulieu.....Andrighetto deal could really come back to bite him.

But he had a few hits imo - Shaw for Eller (essentially) wasn't bad, not as critical of the Weber deal as most people, and Bergevin absolutely rekt the Hawks dumping Weise and Fleischmann on them for Danault and a 2nd (probably his best deal by a longshot).

Swiping a guy like Paul Byron off the waiver wire didn't hurt either.  As bad as Bergevin is, he's made some good and lucky moves.

Maurice though - just consistently bad - with that hardass posturing on top of it - repeatedly failing to get reasonable results from that wealth of talent he has to work with.

21 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I disagree with you on this one.

I think Maurice should be gone before Bergevin - at least hope that's the case.

Don't get me wrong - I don't like Bergevin - have no confidence in him - but for different reasons.

Alzner - nothing wrong with that signing imo - he's a 20 minute top 4 who handled harder minutes than anyone else on the Caps blueline - a pretty decent shutdown D with over 250 hits and blocks, a +23 in that role - and best of all, he taunts guys like Lucic with crybaby gestures.   4.6 per isn't bad at all for a solid 20 minute defenseman.

What I don't like about Bergevin - dealing Sergachev and a 2nd for Drouin - my guess is that it turns out to be a horrible deal for Montreal - no fan of Drouin at all, and just can't see him as a center in the long run. 

In addition to dealing Sergachev he also dumped Beaulieu.....Andrighetto deal could really come back to bite him.

But he had a few hits imo - Shaw for Eller (essentially) wasn't bad, not as critical of the Weber deal as most people, and Bergevin absolutely rekt the Hawks dumping Weise and Fleischmann on them for Danault and a 2nd (probably his best deal by a longshot).

Swiping a guy like Paul Byron off the waiver wire didn't hurt either.  As bad as Bergevin is, he's made some good and lucky moves.

Maurice though - just consistently bad - with that hardass posturing on top of it - repeatedly failing to get reasonable results from that wealth of talent he has to work with.

Not bad points at all.

Either way, to me, both shouldn’t last too long.

Just now, Monty said:

Not bad points at all.

Either way, to me, both shouldn’t last at too long.

Let's hope.  I like both teams and those two get in the way.

I don't dislike Maurice per-se - I just don't believe he's a good enough coach for that group.

I imagine them with a coach like Babcock - that would be fun to watch.

Archived