The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Winnipeg Jets vs. Vancouver Canucks | October 12 | 7PM | TSN 3, SN | GoT Season 2 : A Game of Nucks and Jets Edition

AlwaysACanuckFan

Same old sh$t different coach...respect the vets even though they don't perform, but go ahead and blame the rookies by limiting their ice time.

Players want to play so they can develop.

Sitting on the bench does squat.

1 hour ago, WestCoast5347 said:

Exactly. People see 3 goals against and automatically think it's the goalies fault. 

I also love how Dorsett has one game where he plays decent and not amazing and people turn on him in an onstant. 

Good old CDC

Agree +1

Its the standard.... unfortunately.

58 minutes ago, luckylager said:

He was a bit floaty and not really playing with "fire". Didn't play poorly but wasn't taking it to them.

Think he might have been a victim of circumstance with the line juggle though, maybe?

I dunno

Think this is as close to the truth as it gets. Bravo Lucky... Out of +

47 minutes ago, oldnews said:

You didn't watch the game, did you.

Boeser played 16:31 - was on the ice in the last minute - and had more ice time than Sutter, Eriksson, Vanek, Granlund, Gagne, and Dorsett.

But carry on.

As usual.... spot on the money. 

Who cares about reality..

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

Same old sh$t different coach...respect the vets even though they don't perform, but go ahead and blame the rookies by limiting their ice time.

Players want to play so they can develop.

Sitting on the bench does squat.

Wonder if Green has the balls and green light from management and ownership to scratch a vet for a young guy.

Too early to be sending messages I suppose.

Travis Green is a former NHL er and he said he respects the vets and how each of them had managed to carve out a career in the NHL multiple times.

If he scratched a vet other than Dorsett like Gagner, Vanek, or Eriksson it would get huge headlines.

No matter how bad a guy plays vets just don't get scratched unless they are on their way out of the team for good.

Look around the league.

It's easier to be stern with the young guys than take a chance early calling out a vet and lose the room.

He is a rookie coach not Mike Babcock or something yet.

8 hours ago, tas said:

the canucks played an aggressive, straight-line, north-south game in game 1. they've been passive and tentative ever since. 

forecheck HARD. pinch HARD. backcheck HARD. go to the net HARD. 

how has that disappeared so quickly?

Sedin's minutes went back up. When your leaders don't hit it starts a tumble down effect. Not a dis, their play just sets the tone/style for the other lines to get more skill style. As opposed to the hard nosed style..

Decent game and effort.  With 9-10 minutes left it looked like we were mailing it in down by two.  Then tanev's muffin $&!# went in and the boys rallied a solid gear up and took it to the jets.  Have to give some credit for that.

gotta say I like jets hockey.  To a man there is consistent body contact on every check....could be interesting if they get into the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Sedin's minutes went back up. When your leaders don't hit it starts a tumble down effect. Not a dis, their play just sets the tone/style for the other lines to get more skill style. As opposed to the hard nosed style..

Their minutes went up not because they played well. It was coz some of the players (Virts, Erikss..etc) were comparatively unreliable. 

10 hours ago, gameburn2 said:

One rookie only.  Virtanen needed ice time too.  I don't care if he "deserved" it -- development is about the long-term.  The best way to kill confidence in a young player is to reduce their ice time, giving time to players you know won't be around next year (Vanek, Gagner, e.g.) "I'm not valued as much as a player most teams didn't want?" (These are Virtanens dark worries.) 

Green has had GREAT success with Jake to date, so I don't feel we're in a position to challenge him on that.

You also don't want players egos to grow out of check with the opposite mindset of "I'm so valued that I'm in, without question".  

"Everyone has to earn it" and my feeling is that's on a nightly basis.  No free passes.  And, if there were things that Green saw to warrant it, I support him with a "sit and watch how it's done" demonstration period.  Perhaps he was asking something of him that he wasn't doing and felt it better to show him. 

As long as they guys are slotting into the games, they're playing and getting ice time.  How he distributes that is likely Green's deal, as the expert here.

I am not bothered by the play so far, Green is still trying to gel a team together and he needs to be given sufficient time. 

I think he made a mistake playing Brock, it felt like bowing to the unceasing harassment of the media jackals and the misguided favouritism of some fans who apparently only have to see a player under 23 to immediately assume he will have a 20 goal season.

There are a number of new faces, new combinations, in the team and frankly I am not surprised we have had 2 losses so early, It's the team that uses these games to sort things out that goes on runs of good form usually.

Green needs 20 games to get his ideas and lines set and it would also be good if the media stopped harping on about the coaching side of the game in these pre and post game interviews when it is obvious they haven't a clue about coaching and assessing player's form.

42 minutes ago, stuman491 said:

Does anyone know who does the Colour Commentary for the Canucks games on the Radio?  Whoever it was doesn't seem like they are very comfortable with the job lol.  It is a bit painful to listen to.

Brendan Batchelor- former Vancouver Giants play by play guy. Colour guy is Corey Hirsch ex Canuck goalie.

• -SN- locked this topic

Archived