The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Game time pizza dough

JM_

Life is too short for crappy pizza. This is a recipe from NY Times Cooking I use about once per week or so, its easy enough for newbies and works great every time. It works well if you put it on parchment and cook at around 475F for 14-18 minutes or so depending on the toppings you use. You can make a pizza for about $2 thats better than anything you can order by delivery. I usually just put a small can of sauce, some mozza and prosciutto but you can pretty much do anything on top of this dough. 

INGREDIENTS
153 grams 00 flour (1 cup plus 1 tablespoon)
153 grams all-purpose flour (1 cup plus 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons)
8 grams fine sea salt (1 teaspoon)
2 grams active dry yeast (3/4 teaspoon)
4 grams extra-virgin olive oil (1 teaspoon)

PREPARATION
In a large mixing bowl, combine flours and salt.
In a small mixing bowl, stir together 200 grams (a little less than 1 cup) lukewarm tap water, the yeast and the olive oil, then pour it into flour mixture. Knead with your hands until well combined, approximately 3 minutes, then let the mixture rest for 15 minutes.
Knead rested dough for 3 minutes. Cut into 2 equal pieces and shape each into a ball. Place on a heavily floured surface, cover with dampened cloth, and let rest and rise for 3 to 4 hours at room temperature or for 8 to 24 hours in the refrigerator. (If you refrigerate the dough, remove it 30 to 45 minutes before you begin to shape it for pizza.)
To make pizza, place each dough ball on a heavily floured surface and use your fingers to stretch it, then your hands to shape it into rounds or squares. Top and bake.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Life is too short for crappy pizza. This is a recipe from NY Times Cooking I use about once per week or so, its easy enough for newbies and works great every time. It works well if you put it on parchment and cook at around 475F for 14-18 minutes or so depending on the toppings you use. You can make a pizza for about $2 thats better than anything you can order by delivery. I usually just put a small can of sauce, some mozza and prosciutto but you can pretty much do anything on top of this dough. 

INGREDIENTS

PREPARATION
In a small mixing bowl, stir together 200 grams (a little less than 1 cup) lukewarm tap water, the yeast and the olive oil, then pour it into flour mixture. Knead with your hands until well combined, approximately 3 minutes, then let the mixture rest for 15 minutes.
Knead rested dough for 3 minutes. Cut into 2 equal pieces and shape each into a ball. Place on a heavily floured surface, cover with dampened cloth, and let rest and rise for 3 to 4 hours at room temperature or for 8 to 24 hours in the refrigerator. (If you refrigerate the dough, remove it 30 to 45 minutes before you begin to shape it for pizza.)
To make pizza, place each dough ball on a heavily floured surface and use your fingers to stretch it, then your hands to shape it into rounds or squares. Top and bake.

so two kinds of flour?  What is 00 flour?

15 minutes ago, Stelar said:

so two kinds of flour?  What is 00 flour?

00 is just a finely sifted version of flour. TBH its not really necessary to make a good dough, you can just use regular flour if that's what you have at hand.

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

00 is just a finely sifted version of flour. TBH its not really necessary to make a good dough, you can just use regular flour if that's what you have at hand.

How much does it rise, Jimmy?  I prefer not too much, but I guess I could reduce the amount of yeast.

I'll give it a try for sure.

4 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

How much does it rise, Jimmy?  I prefer not too much, but I guess I could reduce the amount of yeast.

I'll give it a try for sure.

this one doesn't rise too much, its definitely on the thinner side. But let me know your experience with it or tweaks.

Years ago I never thought it would happen, but for the last year or so, I've been doing some experimenting in the kitchen with different recipes and having varied, occasionally excellent results. However, I've always said that if there was one dish that I would have to eat to the exclusion of all others it would be pizza. (peasant?—probably:rolleyes:).

I'm definitely going to try this one—thanks!

8 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

INGREDIENTS

PREPARATION

That looks very much like the recipe that I have been using and I would like to say that it is very good.

Method for bread is of course very important and with more practice, you will get better results.  The New Yorkers treat it very gently because they like a crisp crust with a bite that is tender inside, hence the soft 00 flour (it's an Italian grade).  Check out Munchies "The New York Slice" on Youtube for the "how to"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8pCMoL_b_s

I must say, the first 12 or so times I made it, I was rolling out the dough with a rolling pin and it was good but one day I tried just forming the pie with my fingers and it was very much better

12 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

That looks very much like the recipe that I have been using and I would like to say that it is very good.

Method for bread is of course very important and with more practice, you will get better results.  The New Yorkers treat it very gently because they like a crisp crust with a bite that is tender inside, hence the soft 00 flour (it's an Italian grade).  Check out Munchies "The New York Slice" on Youtube for the "how to"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8pCMoL_b_s

I must say, the first 12 or so times I made it, I was rolling out the dough with a rolling pin and it was good but one day I tried just forming the pie with my fingers and it was very much better

I found the same thing, once you make it a couple of times with your hands its really easy 

On 2017-11-02 at 1:01 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

INGREDIENTS

PREPARATION

Great results. I used the recipe for one big pie. 500 degrees for 15 min. Pepperoni and Mushroom. Thanks for the recipe. 

B9B1AE01-5EAE-4E44-BE62-CFAC92D050A7.jpeg

Archived