The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Missing submarine

CBH1926

5 minutes ago, Green Building said:

If I had to choose between igniting nearly 4 million lbs of rocket fuel to thrust me into space or a controlled sinking into the murky unknown aboard a submarine I choose the exploding rocket ride 10 times out of 10. Submariners are nuts. 

I am not claustrophobic, but you really need nerves of steel to be on a submarine.

1 minute ago, CBH1926 said:

I am not claustrophobic, but you really need nerves of steel to be on a submarine.

Me neither, it's more the knowledge that I'm being cocooned by the entire ocean that freaks me out, and I've commercial fished too! It's not the water itself that worries me, it's floating around underneath it. Not to mention how nuts it would be to engage in a torpedo battle or be depth charged. Nope. 

Never understand how commercial airlines and subs do not have some kind of emergency beacon device that gives off location at all times....

Seems strange that an airline jet or a sub could just disappear without sending out location information at all times...

4 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Me neither, it's more the knowledge that I'm being cocooned by the entire ocean that freaks me out, and I've commercial fished too! It's not the water itself that worries me, it's floating around underneath it. Not to mention how nuts it would be to engage in a torpedo battle or be depth charged. Nope. 

I also hate being on boat at night, in the middle of the ocean/sea.

Something about being in the water in the middle of the night.

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Never understand how commercial airlines and subs do not have some kind of emergency beacon device that gives off location at all times....

Seems strange that an airline jet or a sub could just disappear without sending out location information at all times...

Subs do have an emergency beacon, according to Argentinian navy it has not been activated.

9 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Kinda defeats the purpose of a submarine and it's stealth capabilities, no?

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

An airline I agree, but a sub constantly making others aware of its position would remove all stealthy advantages typically afforded to it in the first place. I know it's not wartime, but still.

2 minutes ago, Green Building said:

An airline I agree, but a sub constantly making others aware of its position would remove all stealthy advantages typically afforded to it in the first place. I know it's not wartime, but still.

Why would a Argie sub need to be travelling in stealth mode at this point in time ?

Why don't commercial jets even have emergency beacons that can locate planes after crashing at sea. 

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Why would a Argie sub need to be travelling in stealth mode at this point in time ?

Why don't commercial jets even have emergency beacons that can locate planes after crashing at sea. 

For the same reason we can't log onto the US DOD server and live track all their sub deployments in real time. Airplanes have emergency location transmitters, and are not in stealth mode during routine flight. The number of actual flights that have gone unrecovered is few, and while it is fair to argue that even 1 is too many, the cost and logistics of improving locator beacons to function for months under 12000 feet of water (rough average ocean depth) doesn't seem all that pressing to me. 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Most submarines do have distress buoys. 

http://www.pecomposites.com/projects.php?product=6

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARA_San_Juan

Hate to say it, you have submarines, you should have couple of carriers if even for the sole purpose of rescue aircraft to search if one goes down. 

Argentina doesn't even have any carriers.....

Hard to imagine in what world Argentina would need to have subs being undetectable.   They are not a huge military power and only have 3 subs.

It will be a very huge wasted loss of life if this sub went down without getting any assistance.

Archived