The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kinder Morgan Pipeline Talk

kingofsurrey

1 minute ago, chon derry said:

I gave you a comparative and your retort was the drake passage?

you gave no comparative whatsoever, mate. Comparative analysis is based on a COMPARISON. Not absolutes. 

and now its the sea of Okhotsk ?nice deflections

There is nothing 'deflection' about showing oil and gas super-tankers going around their business in nearly similar ecosystems, with one being worse in weather pattern terms. Sea of Okhotsk is a direct comparative to the BC-Alaskan coastline oil transportation route. 

.but I guess thats all you have since you know nothing about the risks associated in our back yard , ya thats right nimbism, and your lack of knowledge of our back yard.

The risk is negligible, since the Russians are transporting oil and gas over a sea thats WORSE than our coastline in the same parameters - winter storms, visibility issues and cold temperatures- for twenty years, with zero incidents. Its an open and shut case that anti-pipeline nonsense here is based on nonsense.

19 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Do you understand the meaning of the term ' comparative analysis' ?!?

Sea of Okhotsk is worse. It has oil terminal. It passes through island chain. No incidents for 20 years with lower safety standards. Can't run away from those facts, bud.

ironic that the link I provided was about a ship en route to Russia..https://www.wavepointconsulting.ca/canadian-coast-guard-gets-line-pacific-coast-marine-traffic/  

9 minutes ago, chon derry said:

ironic that the link I provided was about a ship en route to Russia..https://www.wavepointconsulting.ca/canadian-coast-guard-gets-line-pacific-coast-marine-traffic/  

Nice try.  But unfortunately, no dice.

Sea of Okhotsk is *not* on the Russian sector route for Trans-pacific routes originating in Canada. 

Nowhere in your article is the Russian comparative to super-tanker traffic is presented or even considered. Nor do they present any actual data or analysis of the Russian side of the Pacific. 

Ergo, irrelevant to COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS OF RISK.

There are two ways to look at risk analysis : a) Theoretical analysis b) Practical comparison/simulation, when comparison is unvailable.

Our issue with SAFETY of oil transport are as follows:

a) Clearance of Narrow body of water

b) Climatological factors. 

c) Canadian infrastructural readyness to prevent or contain the (extremely unlikely) disaster.

Narrow body comparison: 

Two case-points - i) the Sakhalin -Kuril islands transit route passing the Kuril Chain

ii) Strait of Hormuz: narrow, long and shallow strait that handles 5-10x the tanker traffic BC coastline will *ever* see.

Both check out as safe and incident free.

Climatological Factors:  Russia has been exporting oil and gas, via super-tankers, from the Sakhalin plants, since late 90s/early 2000s. It either takes the Sakhalin-Kuril Island route or the inner, Sakhalin to Sea of Japan route  (most cases). This sea is known for its rough waters as well ( newsflash: rough waters ALL OVER the North Pacific, is a thing). Worse, its also has more fog problem than the N.American side of the Pacific. It also happens to form gigantic ice-floes an sometimes vast phases of freezing over. 

Again, checks out for ~ 20 year of tanker traffic without incident. 

Sorry bud, but anti-pipeline 'disaster concerns' are pretty much fear-mongering. There is no actual data, no actual comparative that checks out. None, nada, zip. Yes, we have some scientists saying 'unsafe' as their opinion. Sure. Science people are not immune to speaking nonsense for publicity/large sums of money either. But they don't present any data, they dont engage in comparative analysis- just 'opinion'.

Rest of us 'science folks' who are not swept up in hysteria but search for numbers , data and analysis of the postulations, are not impressed. Its just that simple. 

@canuckistani you missed the whole point of the link I provided  it clearly proved how a nautical incident IS Possible and how ill equipped Canada is at responding to it  you keep wanting to talk about Russia or the drake passage , but once again  I understand why ,  because you dont know anything about BC'S coastline. but carry on.

Edited by chon derry

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

So it would appear you have concerns about the ocean but not reducing emissions. At least that's what your posting history indicates.

If you're this concerned about emissions, maybe we should stop selling oil? its pretty funny to have a pro-oil person argue emissions don't you think :P

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If you're this concerned about emissions, maybe we should stop selling oil? its pretty funny to have a pro-oil person argue emissions don't you think :P

Talk about emissions is funny coming from a crowd that has always cited developing countries like India and China as reasons not to care about regulating emissions. 

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If a so called environmentalist(drinking American kool aid) is so concerned about the environment why has he got no clue about emissions? Why do these same people not attack mining in BC? Could it be they don't know what they're saying?

Btw Alberta oil extraction is the safest and most environment friendly in the world.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Toews said:

Talk about emissions is funny coming from a crowd that has always cited developing countries like India and China as reasons not to care about regulating emissions. 

Talking emmisions with a few in this thread is pointless as they have no idea what they're talking about. But pipeline bad. Haha

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Talking emmisions with a few in this thread is pointless as they have no idea what they're talking about. But pipeline bad. Haha

Looks like we are both finding this thread entertaining. I can't stop laughing at the hypocrisy coming out of Alberta. But yeah, hopefully this shiz finally gets built and we can start printing money while making sure adequate measures are in place to manage any situation. 

Edited by Toews

38 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

So it would appear you have concerns about the ocean but not reducing emissions. At least that's what your posting history indicates.

It would appear that you are in error, I have concerns with both as most people do

Edited by Mackcanuck

19 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

But you are calling for more rail..

I was calling for canapux to be shipped out of Vancouver, Kitimat and Rupert, in cargo ships as oil Super tankers are banned out of Rupert and Kitimat ports

not sure rail even gets to Kitimat.

CN invented and owns Canapux, So I am sure they would know how to transport them

1 minute ago, Mackcanuck said:

I was calling for canapux to be shipped out of Vancouver, Kitimat and Rupert, in cargo ships as oil Super tankers are banned out of Rupert and Kitimat ports

not sure rail even gets to Kitimat.

CN invented and owns Canapux, So I am sure they would know how to transport them

How do they get to those locations?

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

If a so called environmentalist(drinking American kool aid) is so concerned about the environment why has he got no clue about emissions? Why do these same people not attack mining in BC? Could it be they don't know what they're saying?

Btw Alberta oil extraction is the safest and most environment friendly in the world.

I just find it funny that you'd use that in an argument. 

Its interesting to me to see the resistance from AB's on the puck tech. Its clearly a good compromise, so why keep pushing pipelines so strongly?

I'd like to see an independent review proving that AB oil is the most environmentally friendly. I agree on safety and also ethically tho.