The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

THIS IS THE DAY, Canucks get #7

TheGuardian_

18 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He really looks can't miss doesn't he.

Dynamic offensive forward that plays a complete game?

Has been the biggest standout at WJC and prospects game?

On top of that plays the LW to boot?

Hell yes.

He'd be a good consolation prize if we land 2 or 3.

1 minute ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Nope, western based.

I don't worry at all and the very few that are on this forum wouldn't fill the empty seats any night.

The Vancouver media is desperately trying to find something positive to talk about the Canucks,

If they are pumping tires on one draft pick option that, at best, the Canucks have a less than 1 in 5 shot at then they are NOT finding something to post about your team, they are instead actually trolling your team as there is a better than 80% chance in their favour they can then point to another "failure" if it doesn't come to pass.

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

Dynamic offensive forward that plays a complete game?

Has been the biggest standout at WJC and prospects game?

On top of that plays the LW to boot?

Hell yes.

He'd be a good consolation prize if we land 2 or 3.

Agreed.   Per another post I made somewhere, the concept of he with EP and Boeser on same team is pretty exciting.  

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Mhmm and he could challenge for a spot as soon as next year.

He suffers from EPs skinny syndrome but there is a trend for these types into the NHL before they fully fill out so it is hard to argue if the kid breaks down the door in camp.   

2 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Just hope the #1 pick doesn't become expected or not getting it will hurt the franchise/fan base even more.

I wonder how much would have to be offered to move up if necessary or even if management considers that possibility. 

The CDC sure has that covered.  Nuxfromabroad started an interesting thread under proposals just what it might take for teams to consider that.  My thinking is it could cost quite a bit depending on the draft positions.  Even to go from 2 to first for us would probably cost something like Juolevi, next year's first (likely another top five pick even with Dahlin), our second this year and something else to boot.  Risky proposition given we should also have good odds on franchise block Hughes next year.  

Now if we get first overall and the opposite haul from say Buffulo is offered up, I think we should take it.

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He suffers from EPs skinny syndrome but there is a trend for these types into the NHL before they fully fill out so it is hard to argue if the kid breaks down the door in camp.   

It says he's 191 on EP and his wiki?

Where can I find his definitive weight?

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

It says he's 191 on EP and his wiki?

Where can I find his definitive weight?

He likely started season around there but we was lighter at combine and just looks like he could use a few extra meals.   He is a very wide frame.   He could end up being one of those wingers who is almost impossible to move off the puck.   

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Keller early on this year is a good example.  He went from front runner Calder material to just very good.   He's even smaller.  McAvoy isn't very big either though (so did Krug), and Marner worked out well for TO so there definitely is a place for skinny and undersized Uber skilled guys in today's NHL.   Reminds me a little of the 80s when 5' 10 guys were the mainstream star players.   That would be good for the NHL, now only if the goaltending trend for monster sized fill the net would change we'd be back to exctiting back and forth 5-4 games as the comman place, instead of the 3-2 (empty netters inclusive) of today's game ....one can dream.

Just now, IBatch said:

Keller early on this year is a good example.  He went from front runner Calder material to just very good.   He's even smaller.  McAvoy isn't very big either though (so did Krug), and Marner worked out well for TO so there definitely is a place for skinny and undersized Uber skilled guys in today's NHL.   Reminds me a little of the 80s when 5' 10 guys were the mainstream star players.   That would be good for the NHL, now only if the goaltending trend for monster sized fill the net would change we'd be back to exctiting back and forth 5-4 games as the comman place, instead of the 3-2 (empty netters inclusive) of today's game ....one can dream.

He (Zadina) is a much better frame than Keller or McAvoy and at 6'1", he will likely end up playing at about 210 lbs and still be fast.   He is a beast in terms of frame and projection.   IF Vancouver were to land him, he has top line written all over him....as early as the season after next.    If people didn't keep losing their minds over Dahlin (don't get me wrong, he is a damn fine looking prospect but boy did he look average in Olympics) and realize there is a LOT of talent in this draft, and at the top of that "other" list could well be this Moosehead.

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He (Zadina) is a much better frame than Keller or McAvoy and at 6'1", he will likely end up playing at about 210 lbs and still be fast.   He is a beast in terms of frame and projection.   IF Vancouver were to land him, he has top line written all over him....as early as the season after next.    If people didn't keep losing their minds over Dahlin (don't get me wrong, he is a damn fine looking prospect but boy did he look average in Olympics) and realize there is a LOT of talent in this draft, and at the top of that "other" list could well be this Moosehead.

totally agree there is a ton of talent in this draft. Dahlin Zadina or otherwise

53 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Definitely a lot of talent in the top ten. One or two of those guys also will end up being better or worse than the scouts predict, my hope is Benning will have a chance at a can't miss ( top 3) and if he does go off the board a bit it's for an organizational need (defense) and this time he nails it, unlike with Juolevi (still a grade A top prospect, but unlikely the best at his position despite getting picked first partially due to bloated WJC stats no doubt,).  This draft will be huge for the Canucks in hindsight, and will help the rebuild in a big way.   Next year's too 

16 hours ago, IBatch said:

The CDC sure has that covered.  Nuxfromabroad started an interesting thread under proposals just what it might take for teams to consider that.  My thinking is it could cost quite a bit depending on the draft positions.  Even to go from 2 to first for us would probably cost something like Juolevi, next year's first (likely another top five pick even with Dahlin), our second this year and something else to boot.  Risky proposition given we should also have good odds on franchise block Hughes next year.  

Now if we get first overall and the opposite haul from say Buffulo is offered up, I think we should take it.

We just don't have enough on the shelves to trade up.

Simply can't afford giving away 1sts, top prospects on top of this years 1st.

It would set us back at least a year or two... 

If we get to pick to 4 take the BPA, even if they don't see it being a D-man. Pay what it costs for a PMD in the free market, and move along. Would make us competitive sooner rather than later...

The fans are already giving up on the team, and keep delaying would also send Bo over the edge...

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

We just don't have enough on the shelves to trade up.

Simply can't afford giving away 1sts, top prospects on top of this years 1st.

It would set us back at least a year or two... 

If we get to pick to 4 take the BPA, even if they don't see it being a D-man. Pay what it costs for a PMD in the free market, and move along. Would make us competitive sooner rather than later...

The fans are already giving up on the team, and keep delaying would also send Bo over the edge...

I'm with you on not trading up unless for some miracle there's a deal available that doesn't cost as much as I suggested.  I'd trade Juolevi to move from second to first straight up for example (assuming that's it).  

A few weeks ago I was pretty committed to taking a defenseman no matter what, but now I'm not so sure.  If we get second or third we should go with one of the top forwards available simply because they are considered sure things, stars likely.  

However if we pick fourth a defenseman would be hard to pass on, the forwards after the top two appear to be a level down.  I'd be happy either way, and like all of us are hoping we get a franchise player this year.  

One more next year should be enough IMO, especially if Demko really is as good as experts say...one of the best goalies not in the NHL.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

I'm with you on not trading up unless for some miracle there's a deal available that doesn't cost as much as I suggested.  I'd trade Juolevi to move from second to first straight up for example (assuming that's it).  

A few weeks ago I was pretty committed to taking a defenseman no matter what, but now I'm not so sure.  If we get second or third we should go with one of the top forwards available simply because they are considered sure things, stars likely.  

However if we pick fourth a defenseman would be hard to pass on, the forwards after the top two appear to be a level down.  I'd be happy either way, and like all of us are hoping we get a franchise player this year.  

One more next year should be enough IMO, especially if Demko really is as good as experts say...one of the best goalies not in the NHL.

Couldn't agree more if I tried... 

1. Dahlin

2. Either Svechnikov or Zadina (pending on how JB see's it... I do fancy Zadina my self)

4-6. A D-man... again pending on JB's judgement.

This is how I see it. Svechnikov and Zadina are just too good to pass on for a D-man...even though the D-man may end up being better, the floor for those two are just too high.

Need Dmen for the new core.

Top Dmen are drafted, not traded for or signed as UFA until they are much older than what is being built here.

Maybe they trade the 2-4th OA for a few picks, not that I’m aware of what that might look like or who might have them. 

Zadina is awesome, but BT brings that big, nasty NA game along with some underrated talent. Tough call, best left with JB.

I still think they need to load up on D in this draft. Ibatch brings a good point on the cant-miss forwards. FTR, I would not draft a Russian with my top pick. 

21 hours ago, IBatch said:

Definitely a lot of talent in the top ten. One or two of those guys also will end up being better or worse than the scouts predict, my hope is Benning will have a chance at a can't miss ( top 3) and if he does go off the board a bit it's for an organizational need (defense) and this time he nails it, unlike with Juolevi (still a grade A top prospect, but unlikely the best at his position despite getting picked first partially due to bloated WJC stats no doubt,).  This draft will be huge for the Canucks in hindsight, and will help the rebuild in a big way.   Next year's too 

Disagree with you about Juolevi.   Come back on that one in five years.

57 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Disagree with you about Juolevi.   Come back on that one in five years.

I'm hope I'm wrong, i still think he will be a solid defenseman, that year seems to have a lot of great players coming out, im not sure he will end up running our PP ( unless it's by default), but that's ok. THN had him infront of Boeser to start the season, as our best prospect, they also see him as can't miss.  Pettersson leap frogged him in recent ratings, after that they still consider him our next best prospect, 21 overall ahead of some really good players. Salo is coaching him well, including scratching him when needed to get his commitment levels where they need to be.

Archived