The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What A Coward - Parkland Armed School Resource Officer Never Went Into The School During Shooting

SabreFan1

Just now, Undrafted said:

Thanks.  Believe it or not, NY state gun laws aren't too far removed from Canadian regulations, although our regs are probably more restrictive in terms of the types of weapons you can own, storage and other details (the devil is always in the details). 

Strome's constant reference to PAL is about the Canadian registration system (which stands for Possession and Acquisition Licence, IIRC). 

Oh in that case @Ryan Strome, it depends on the state that you live/licensed in.

4 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I know nothing about PAL.  I'd have to look it up first.  Guns are mainly regulated by state.  The federal government is mostly hands off.

Say for instance I was in New Hampshire, I could walk around with my gun strapped to my waist legally.  If I did that here in New York, I'd need a lawyer or depending on which cop first showed up, a coroner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possession_and_acquisition_licence

I know it's not official like yours links, but it's a good outline on Canadian gun regs

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Exactly, some states are tougher than Canada. It's hard to buy the guns excuse. How about a Country at perpetual war since 1945 does that play a role? I dunno, but guns aren't the main problem. Why do so many Americans want to kill kids?

Let's make the math easy and say there is 1 person per million who is crazy enough to want to kill kids.  That means that there are 37 of them roaming around Canada where getting an assault rifle or handgun is very difficult. 

Now let's do the same with the US.  We'll have 330 people who are crazy enough to want to kill kids and all they have to do in some states, is go to the corner gun store and have the money to purchase almost any kind of gun that they want.

Crazies with easy access to guns = lots of dead people.

54 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Hunting plays a MAJOR role in conservation.  It's the sole reason many of animals we love in Canada still exist.

Hunting isn't about filling a thrill to proving anything. Hunting with a gun is about harvesting an animal the most humane way possibly.   You don't want the animal to suffer and get away only being wounded.  THAT is why you use a gun.  THAT is why it's illegal to hunt game without the correct caliber.  Before you start making ignorant claims about something you clearly know zero about, i suggest you start to do a little research, or perhaps leave the comfort of the city, get into the wilderness and find out first hand. 

Na I have no intention of going into the wilderness and shooting an animal to death...

10 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Exactly, some states are tougher than Canada. It's hard to buy the guns excuse. How about a Country at perpetual war since 1945 does that play a role? I dunno, but guns aren't the main problem. Why do so many Americans want to kill kids?

What???  That doesn't make any sense at all.  Not all mass shootings in the US are directed at kids.  Off the top of my head, IIRC, the majority of mass shootings in the US were not in schools--it's just that when they do happen at schools, it's even more heinous and gets more attention.

1 minute ago, Undrafted said:

What???  That doesn't make any sense at all.  Not all mass shootings in the US are directed at kids.  Off the top of my head, IIRC, the majority of mass shootings in the US were not in schools--it's just that when they do happen at schools, it's even more heinous and gets more attention.

Well I'm sorry but when so many kids are killed in these events it sickens me. I'm not playing your game, I'm a father and a Christian, find another target.

12 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Ya the U.S is very confusing. They seem to run state by state rather than federal laws.

Edit, before the confusion kickes in I mean the states kinda govern themselves. Instead of having federal law for all states.

Just caught your edit so I'll further expand on my initial response.

11 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

We're a Republic.

In a Republic, each state is considered sovereign territory with a right to rule itself.  Before the Civil War, the federal government was actually very weak in comparison.  After the Civil War, the federal government established itself as the preeminent governing body.

If push ever came to shove, the federal government could make gun laws very restrictive across the country.  They did just that in 1994 with the assault weapons ban that lasted for 10 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Assault_Weapons_Ban

15 minutes ago, JV77 said:

Na I have no intention of going into the wilderness and shooting an animal to death...

No you just prefer the go to the store and buy the meat that was killed by someone else because you don’t have the conscience to do it your self. Who cares if the animal was treated bad, as long as it wasn’t you it doesn’t matter. 

Again hunting plays a MAJOR role in conservation. It’s very important. 

44 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Cool.  Thanks.  I'll check it out.

Quick summary for you.  Canada separates firearms on different classification, Non Restricted, Restricted and Prohibited.  

Non Restricted include your typical hunting and predator Rifles and Shotguns In order to buy a Non Restricted firearm or ammunition you need to own a PAL (possession and acquisition licence).  In order to get a PAL you need to take a safety course, after which there will be a background check down.  

Restricted firearms are only allowed to be used for target at ranges,  They are your handguns and semi auto rifles.  In order to buy one of these firearms you need a restricted PAL, (very similar to the PAL course), you also need to be part of a gun club at a range, which gun shops have to verify before selling.  They also preform a background check and you have to keep your address up to do.  If you are caught taking your firearm outside of a the nearest route from you home address to the range their is some sever penalties.  

Prohibited are never allowed to be owned.  These mostly are your full auto's and military firearms.  They do include some semi autos, and this is where is gets a bit tricky.  There isn't really a set of rules that determines what classifies a gun as prohibited.  It mostly just depends on the people making the call at that given day, often it's based on appearance despite being a smaller caliber (but that's a different story)

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Perhaps they want the attention.  

Most mass shooters ends up dead, either by self-afflicted gun shot, taken out by the police, or ending up in prison/executed.  Either way, it's pretty much a suicide.... they're not going to get away scot-free.  Some people probably wants to go out with a splash or to get some weird satisfaction of getting even. 

Where better than to attack a gun-free zone.  There's a reason they don't try to shoot up a police station or a military base.  

47 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

No you just prefer the go to the store and buy the meat that was killed by someone else because you don’t have the conscience to do it your self. Who cares if the animal was treated bad, as long as it wasn’t you it doesn’t matter. 

Again hunting plays a MAJOR role in conservation. It’s very important. 

So if you're all old school then go hunt with a homemade spear or a bow and arrow, you don't need a gun.  I highly doubt you catch and hunt your food daily.   You trying to justify the reason guns are needed for hunting is pathetic.

4 minutes ago, JV77 said:

So if you're all old school then go hunt with a homemade spear or a bow and arrow, you don't need a gun.

No because then you increase the chances of just injuring the animal or making them suffer which is cruel and unnecessary.  Hunting isn't about being macho, it's about harvesting an animal humanely.  For someone that thinks it's wrong to kill an animal, you sure have a weird obsession for making them go through meaningless pain.

4 minutes ago, JV77 said:

I highly doubt you catch and hunt your food daily.   You trying to justify the reason guns are needed for hunting is pathetic.

I'll say it again.  Hunting is essential for conservation.  Do you purposely keep ignoring that?  

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I don't support arming teachers I think if a country has to do that than it says a lot about their people. But please don't try to speak about the amazing training in the armed forces unless you have served. 

"But please don't try to speak about the amazing training in the armed forces unless you have served. "

If this place is confined to people posting only on those things they have personally experienced, it will be very quiet.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

"But please don't try to speak about the amazing training in the armed forces unless you have served. "

If this place is confined to people posting only on those things they have personally experienced, it will be very quiet.

I'd rather have a quiet forum then one that feels they can disrespect our armed forces who have fought, killed and died for our right to talk on this forum

5 hours ago, JV77 said:

You enjoy hunting.  The enjoyment of killing with your gun.  Don't need say anything more....

Well if you read my other post, you would have read that I enjoy the hunt, but absolutely do not enjoy the kill.

But please, keep telling me who I am and what I enjoy. You’re really good at it!

Archived