The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] Free Agency 2018: to D or not to D?

JM_

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

how many of those guys are both upgrades on who we have, AND worth overpaying for? I just don't see the need for more middle- pairing D. 

Mike Green would absolutely help our PP and offense in general. But, Ghosts just pinghed it,

De Haan is probably the best D in defence out there. Look how fast, and how hard the NYI's fell when he went on the IR? We don't really need a LHD, but it would make Edler expendable at the next deadline. 

I also like love Sustr as a 5th/7th D. All things considered, a superb depth D might be the smartest move?

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Mike Green would absolutely help our PP and offense in general. But, Ghosts just pinghed it,

De Haan is probably the best D in defence out there. Look how fast, and how hard the NYI's fell when he went on the IR? We don't really need a LHD, but it would make Edler expendable at the next deadline. 

I also like love Sustr as a 5th/7th D. All things considered, a superb depth D might be the smartest move?

I guess who are you willing to ship out to make that happen? De Haan would be a nice addition if we move out Hutty tho thats true, you could be on to something there. I'll be happy if we never see the Hutton-Guddy pairing ever again. 

I guess I'll be OK if Jim decides to stick it out with the group we have, I do think Guddy coming back healthy and possibly Juolevi making the team might be enough to give the D a jolt and see some improvement. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess who are you willing to ship out to make that happen? De Haan would be a nice addition if we move out Hutty tho thats true, you could be on to something there. I'll be happy if we never see the Hutton-Guddy pairing ever again. 

I guess I'll be OK if Jim decides to stick it out with the group we have, I do think Guddy coming back healthy and possibly Juolevi making the team might be enough to give the D a jolt and see some improvement. 

Milk it with injuries, till the deadline. Then Edler... But Hutton if push came to shove. MDZ as well. But how often do we not have one, two guys on the IR? We had at least one D on the IR at the start of almost every season I can think of. And Juolvi can get the Stecher start in Utica, but still play the majority of games.

Edler Stech

De Haan Tanev

Juolevi Guddy

Hutton, MDZ Pouliot

* Bulldog would still clear waivers? He might be the actual casualty. Probably would burn MDZ first? Not sure, might depend on how the depth prospects are looking at the time. #assetmanagement

48 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Milk it with injuries, till the deadline. Then Edler... But Hutton if push came to shove. MDZ as well. But how often do we not have one, two guys on the IR? We had at least one D on the IR at the start of almost every season I can think of. And Juolvi can get the Stecher start in Utica, but still play the majority of games.

Edler Stech

De Haan Tanev

Juolevi Guddy

Hutton, MDZ Pouliot

* Bulldog would still clear waivers? He might be the actual casualty. Probably would burn MDZ first? Not sure, might depend on how the depth prospects are looking at the time. #assetmanagement

I like that top 6 group a lot, and you're right, the injuries are going to happen. Chalk up 25 games at least for Tanev right now. If we can move out Hutty for a decent 2019 picks that works for me too. 

Total fantasy, but if Washington and Carlson were open to a sign and trade of something along the lines of Tanev for signed Carlson (8 years, ~7.25 per), 1st and mid/late round picks. 

Then flip the Washington 1st and Del Zotto or Hutton to Winnipeg in a package for Trouba (RFA). 

Boom!

Edler - Carlson 

Stecher/Del Zotto - Trouba 

Juolevi/Hutton/Stecher - Guddy 

All of a sudden our defence is set for years to come. Youth, grit, skill. 

This doesn't even factor in our 1st rounder this year. 

2 hours ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

Total fantasy, but if Washington and Carlson were open to a sign and trade of something along the lines of Tanev for signed Carlson (8 years, ~7.25 per), 1st and mid/late round picks. 

Then flip the Washington 1st and Del Zotto or Hutton to Winnipeg in a package for Trouba (RFA). 

Boom!

Edler - Carlson 

Sign and trades don't exist in the NHL. 

2 hours ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

Boom!

Edler - Carlson 

In what world is Tanev worth a signed Carlson, a first and another pick?  Also, why would Winnipeg trade Trouba for a low 1st and Hutton or MDZ?  I know you said total fantasy. But c’mon. 

50 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

In what world is Tanev worth a signed Carlson, a first and another pick?  Also, why would Winnipeg trade Trouba for a low 1st and Hutton or MDZ?  I know you said total fantasy. But c’mon. 

Its a stretch, but I do have some reasoning to the madness. 

Carlson is a UFA, so his value is minimal. The contract would be agreed to by us and him and Washington signs the deal so JC can get the 8th year. Wsh does this for a discount on Tanev (some have speculated his value at a 1st and a prospect).

So let's say its JC and a 1st for Tanev. If the season ended today, Wsh pick would be 24th overall in a deep draft. 

I did say package for Trouba - I was assuming we'd have to add, but I didn't specify that. I don't think Wpg can afford to sign Trouba to a big deal as Laine is going to need an extension in 2019 (plus there was his holdout 2 years ago). Let's say we add next year's 2nd to the deal. It's then Hutton or Del Zotto (inexpensive replacement for Trouba that won't tie up $ for Laine) a 1st in a deep draft and a 2nd - which could still be an early 2nd. 

Do either of these deals get done? Probably not, but it's fun to dream. 

1 minute ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

Its a stretch, but I do have some reasoning to the madness. 

Carlson is a UFA, so his value is minimal. The contract would be agreed to by us and him and Washington signs the deal so JC can get the 8th year. Wsh does this for a discount on Tanev (some have speculated his value at a 1st and a prospect).

So let's say its JC and a 1st for Tanev. If the season ended today, Wsh pick would be 24th overall in a deep draft. 

I did say package for Trouba - I was assuming we'd have to add, but I didn't specify that. I don't think Wpg can afford to sign Trouba to a big deal as Laine is going to need an extension in 2019 (plus there was his holdout 2 years ago). Let's say we add next year's 2nd to the deal. It's then Hutton or Del Zotto (inexpensive replacement for Trouba that won't tie up $ for Laine) a 1st in a deep draft and a 2nd - which could still be an early dream. 

If he's signed (sign and trade) then his value is that of a signed player, not the rights of a UFA. In my opinion the wrong team is adding to the equation. Getting a signed Carlson would cost Tanev +  , not the other way around

On 2018-03-30 at 9:04 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

With the season winding down I find myself wondering what the heck is Jim going to do with this D group? That to me is the #1 off season issue by far with this team. 

Edler-Tanev

Del Zotto - Gudbranson

seems like a probable top 4 (for us) starting next season.

But then we have maybe 6 guys competing for the 5-8 spots: Hutton, Stecher, Pouliot, Biega and possibly now Sautner and maybe Juolevi depending on his off-season training and camp performance. 

And Benning talking about possibly adding in a college free agent.

With all of these guys in the system for next season, I wonder now if Jim should stand pat on D for one season as far as free agency goes? There won't be a "1D" available in free agency so we'd just be adding more middle-pairing depth (I think Carlson is staying put in Washington), so I'd like to see Jim keep the cheque book closed this year on free agent D.

Thoughts? Is there a free agent you think Jim should target?

One thought I had was making a play for Tyler Myers.

With Trouba up for a raise and Laine the year after that, the Jets may be interested in getting something for a player that may be out of their price range.

I have been thinking of this too. Not much of a stretch here but I think Hutton goes for a pick. They'll sign a fringe journeyman on July 1 for the 7/8/9 spot and that's it.

They'll make room for OJ and he'll get 20-40 games. They'll draft another dman in the 5-7 hole who will play jr or college.

Mike Green’s skill set, age, handedness & contract length all seem to fit, IMHO.

1. Our need for an offensive defenseman is amplified without the Sedins on the PP. Green is also somewhat physical. 

2. Pairing Edler with a right-handed, offensive defencemen, allows him to keep his game simple. It also gives us the flexibility to trade Tanev.

3. Green is one of few UFA’s that would likely accept a 3 yr deal. I have heard an identical 3x $6m would likely get it done.

Edler Green

Del Zotto Gudbranson

Pouliot Stecher

Hutton Biega

Tanev traded to Washington (for example) for a late 1st & prospect 

It costs us nothing but short term cap space in our rebuilding years, and helps us get the most out of other assets including Edler and Tanev. He could also potentially mentor guys like Stecher on the offensive side of the game.

Archived