The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Players that are "caught" should be required to take a clean hit

I actually feel bad for Tom Wilson of the Capitals, since he's probably going to get suspended for his hit on Aston-Reese, and the head contact is 100% Aston-Reese's fault in my opinion. 

Simply put, Aston-Reese was stick handling with his head down, and ran straight into a lane in which Tom Wilson lined him up. Instead of simply taking the shoulder to his chest and having the wind knocked out of him, Aston-Reese looks up and prepares his shoulder to counter the hit. This actually makes the hit more dangerous for Tom Wilson, -- if he takes Aston-Reese's shoulder to his arm, he could break his humerus bone.  

In response to Aston-Reese's lowered shoulder, Tom Wilson raises into the hit to defend himself, making contact with Aston-Reese's Jaw. The rules should place the onus on the out-of-position player to take a clean hit. All these players that try to turtle or shy away from clean hits end up making them more dangerous. The exact same thing happens when players are caught and turn their backs to a hit, and go face-first into the boards. 

28 minutes ago, Matt_T83 said:

The rules should place the onus on the out-of-position player to take a clean hit. All these players that try to turtle or shy away from clean hits end up making them more dangerous. The exact same thing happens when players are caught and turn their backs to a hit, and go face-first into the boards. 

This could have brutal implications. A guy is down in a hard battle along the boards fighting for the puck. His head gets smashed by the knee of a player. Is he responsible? Are all players in bad positions now free game for brutal, potentially career-ending hits? This is like saying that when a thief goes to steal from your store, you should just take the losses instead of the thief, because you were responsible for securing your store.

lol

Reese had milliseconds to react. He did everything he could to brace himself for the hit.

Not sure if suspension worthy. Head was hit but Wilson's shoulders were in between Reese's shoulders which means he lined up body well.

Shouldn't be suspended.  Player had the puck, Tom went for the shoulder to shoulder hit.  Unfortunate circumstances, including the speed at which these two were coming together, led to Zach getting hit in the head.  Too bad he got hurt, but I don't think the DOPS should be handing out suspensions based on injuries.

Just now, The Sedge said:

Shouldn't be suspended.  Player had the puck, Tom went for the shoulder to shoulder hit.  Unfortunate circumstances, including the speed at which these two were coming together, led to Zach getting hit in the head.  Too bad he got hurt, but I don't think the DOPS should be handing out suspensions based on injuries.

This.

18 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Left his feet and head was pretty clearly the principal point of contact.    Wilson's the new Torres.

No he didn't...he left his feet AFTER the hit...as did Aston-Reese...so I guess Aston Reese is guilty too? This is almost a textbook hit with Wilson doing everything in his power to hit shoulder on shoulder...I don't know what more a guy can do? I guess the principal here is to increase the offense in the game by eliminating most hitting? So Wilson should have let the offensive scoring dynamo that is Aston-Reese simply slide by and potentially set up a goal...stupid Wilson...:rolleyes:

The thing that gets me is Wilson is moving at a quarter of the speed.

also noted that he should have used his right shoulder instead to eliminate any chance of head contact, though it looks like this would have resulted in boarding and potentially a more permanent injury.

Good clean hit that is being punished because of an injury on the play 

Archived