The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

An Intelligent Debate on Ancient Alien Theory

EuroCanuck

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

“[You are] a disciple of Hitchens”.  There are those who are disciples of Christ.  This belief in alien intervention is based on faith, like being a disciple of belief.  There is no science here.

I disagree completely. 

I disagree with this concept being interchangeable with a belief system. It’s pribably the opposite. Science is 100% about proving itself wrong, or bust, but in a good way. That’s the Method. 

Belief is just that, belief. I don’t have Faith in anything except Canucks Luck, to be honest. 

Just to not confuse any points concerning aliens and my beliefs, no, I’m not a big aliens fan when it comes to influencing human, and pre-human, history, but I recognize the staggering size of the universe and the odds of other life forms being a safe bet, if not a guarantee. So yes, if I had to tick a box, it would be the ‘believes in aliens’ box, but I’m not absolute and neither was this thread meant to be. I haven’t read all the OP’s posts. Maybe you guys are justly grilling the writer, but the idea should be separate from the person. That, is cancer in my books. That’s how we also grilled witches not so long ago. I try to celebrate independent thought as much as I can, this thread being no exception. 

I’m more about discussing human prehistory as it pertains to artifacts and discussions, like these, parallel the, “who done it?” questions humans have always asked, and then filled that vacuum with all sorts of gods and aliens stories.

Our ancient civilizations share this one thing in common - attributing the earths awakening to external, extraterrestrial influence. Did they have proof, but lost it to time? We are still looking to the skies for answers, but from a much different approach... so we think, at least. 

I dont like crazy star conspracies either, like Carlson has, but I like his talks on geology and water levels. I hope readers see the distinction there. 

23 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

What? To suggest that ideas are more important than proof/evidence is exactly what is tearing away at the credibility of universities... where "my opinion" is more important than "the evidence".

I'm also not condemning free thought, I'm condemning thought that bastardizes what science actually is.

If you want to give your opinion on aliens, go for it! What I will argue strongly against is the wrapping of an idea in science, when such an approach is done solely to make the idea sound more valid. Present your opinion as an idea, and then we can have an interesting discussion about it. Presenting an idea as rooted in science, when no such scientific approach has been used, is purposefully misleading and shows no interest in actually having a discussion of ideas.

If the OP wanted to talk about the possibility of aliens, that could be an interesting conversation.

I think you've misread my attitude toward thoughts/ideas. 

This is EXACTLY what the OP is doing. 

Anyone find it strange that their are pyramids all around the world, and pyramids on planets such as Mars.

Image result for pyramids on mars

There's also a large pyramid under a lake in China. 

Submerged-Pyramid-lake-Fuxian.jpg

Then recently Scientist find a mysterious void inside the Great Pyramids.

2 hours ago, EuroCanuck said:

But dude there actually isn’t if you care to go learn about it 

I did dude. I have a degree in it. You apparently have watched a tv show. 

You're embarrassing yourself with your statements on anthropology and archaeology. 

Tell me this, sir, why do we have examples of separate cultures learning the same principles of engineering and math at different times in history. Did aliens pop down each time to re-teach stuff? Two incredibly different cultures, the Romans and ancient Inuit both invented a complex building solution with the arch and dome. Did aliens visit them both, must have been, am i right? No other possible explanation there, right? 

The Sumerians and Greeks both invented trigonometry at different times and in different ways. Did the aliens get tired of doing trig one way and decided to teach the Greeks a different method? musta been. 

I just kinda stumbled upon this thread. I like the idea of it. However, I only read the last couple of pages where it appears there is another internet argument going on lol.

Was the topic of the USA government discussed and the fact that in December 2017 they finally admitted to studying UFOs as late as the 2000s? Three videos have been released of UFOs being tracked by american jet fighters. The pilots themselves seem very credible when they were interviewed about the UFOs. Some seem to indicate this has been going on for a long time.

Conspiracy theorists believe the releases will lead to disclosure from the american  government that they know a lot more about UFOs then they have told the public about.

There are all kinds of weird things in the world such as many of the huge stone structures that have been built thousands of years ago that mankind would have problems building today.

There is so much made up information now available on the internet it is difficult to know what is real and what is not.

This is a very interesting topic. I guess I will read the whole thread lol.

2 hours ago, Aladeen said:

Yes it must be quite the imagination to precisely map out the land mass of Antarctica through the ice layer. I wish I had that imagination.

that and having 20 or more other maps and seafaring information to go on. http://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/01/02/piri-reis-map-of-1513/

Again, nothing needs aliens, it can be explained by information that would have been available to the map maker at the time. An amazing feat to put it all together, but there isn't need for alien help. 

44 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

Man made. Or human made. To communicate with their gods. 

Just because they believed gods(aliens) existed, doesn't mean they actually existed.

yup. These ones crack me up. I love it when people say oh, they must be aliens because people on the ground couldnt see the finished work. Like you couldn't draw it out on a small grid and then construct it from the ground? "OK Bob, now dig 3 feet to the left..." yah that was hard.

People used to claim there was no way that the stones used to build the great pyramids could have been moved by people at the time. That is until they found actual records on how it was done, you know, by people. Its quite smart how they did it: http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/m_features/an-ancient-papyrus-reveals-how-the-great-pyramid-of-giza-was-built

Again, no aliens needed. Why didn't the aliens leave something really cool like a phaser or teach ancient people about better healthcare? seems kind of dickish that they'd teach them math but not how to  cure scabies. 

21 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I did dude. I have a degree in it. You apparently have watched a tv show. 

You're embarrassing yourself with your statements on anthropology and archaeology. 

Tell me this, sir, why do we have examples of separate cultures learning the same principles of engineering and math at different times in history. Did aliens pop down each time to re-teach stuff? Two incredibly different cultures, the Romans and ancient Inuit both invented a complex building solution with the arch and dome. Did aliens visit them both, must have been, am i right? No other possible explanation there, right? 

The Sumerians and Greeks both invented trigonometry at different times and in different ways. Did the aliens get tired of doing trig one way and decided to teach the Greeks a different method? musta been. 

You have a degree in this? 

Why did the Aboriginals in NA and Australia not accomplish anything as scientifically progressive as the invent in the Wheel? No no love from the aliens? 

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

You have a degree in this? 

Why did the Aboriginals in NA and Australia not accomplish anything as scientifically progressive as the invent in the Wheel? No no love from the aliens? 

I do, and they did. 

Lots of great engineering done by aboriginal people. Haida peoples had in-floor heating in some longhouses, not to mention the nifty architecture that goes into the long house. Inuit build igloo's (same tech as Roman domes) and kayaks - if you ever get the chance to go to the UBC museum of anthropology check out the kayak, its amazing. 

1 hour ago, Hugor Hill said:

Man made. Or human made. To communicate with their gods. 

Just because they believed gods(aliens) existed, doesn't mean they actually existed.

Don't disagree at all.   Having been there, though, there isn't a hope that someone could do these from the ground and get the perfect symmetry that exists.   Somehow, they had an aerial view.   How they accomplished that back then is an interesting premise.   I am sure there is a scientific explanation but, to date, none credible have surfaced.    Unlike crop circles, there was no precise GPS to guide them.

50 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Ahh, the Nazca Lines I remember doing a school speech on this a long time a go.

Yup me too.   That is why I had to see them and did and it is freaky.   If you ignore all the touristy hype and just concentrate on what they are and how precise they are yet how hard it is from ground to see them let alone their perfect alignments etc, it really does get you thinking.   Hard to imagine this not having some form of aerial survey help...somehow.

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I do, and they did. 

Lots of great engineering done by aboriginal people. Haida peoples had in-floor heating in some longhouses, not to mention the nifty architecture that goes into the long house. Inuit build igloo's (same tech as Roman domes) and kayaks - if you ever get the chance to go to the UBC museum of anthropology check out the kayak, its amazing. 

Our Haida peoples were so fascinating. 

I often wonder what would have transpired had the Vikings arrived on the West coast instead of the east. The value those cultures placed on navigation innovations would have been an interesting meeting of cultures. The way they built their settlements was also something the Vikings may have respected our Haida for. 

5 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Yup me too.   That is why I had to see them and did and it is freaky.   If you ignore all the touristy hype and just concentrate on what they are and how precise they are yet how hard it is from ground to see them let alone their perfect alignments etc, it really does get you thinking.   Hard to imagine this not having some form of aerial survey help...somehow.

Somehow, is right.

They could only have been useful from a perspective above the land... far above, which makes the whole venture an interesting engineering goal. 

4 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Somehow, is right.

They could only have been useful from a perspective above the land... far above, which makes the whole venture an interesting engineering goal. 

One of those mysteries.    Some many really odd things about our world.    Like these.   The pyramids.  Luongo in Game 7.   Etc......

13 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Fortunately one thing that most scientists can agree upon is how the lines were made. At first the enormity and preciseness of the lines seems to point to a remarkable feat of engineering. Many of the drawings must also be viewed arially to see them in their entirety, and thus it was thought that it would have required an airborn observer to aid the artists in creating the precise figures and proportions we see today. However, according to Dr. Persis B. Clarkson, an archaeologist and geoglyph expert at the University of Winnipeg “ It was not a difficult technology.all you need is the will.” It would have just taken careful and diligent attention to sight the lines. To prove this, a group of 10 Earthwatch volunteers helped an astronomer and anthropologist, Anthony Aveni, in a study of the Nazca lines. In just and hour and a half, without a printed plan, they created a straight line winding into a spiral 35 meters long and one meter wide. Splitting into groups, each one performed a different task, and the result was, according to Aveni, a figure as accurate as any Nazca drawing measured with a surveyor’s instrument. It is fairly conclusive that it was not necessary for the Nazca to have possessed great mathematical or engineering skills to create the figures or lines in the desert. It was possible simply by people working together with their eyes and hands. So there is one of the mysteries cleared up.

http://archaeologyonline.net/artifacts/nazca-lines 

12 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Our Haida peoples were so fascinating. 

I often wonder what would have transpired had the Vikings arrived on the West coast instead of the east. The value those cultures placed on navigation innovations would have been an interesting meeting of cultures. The way they built their settlements was also something the Vikings may have respected our Haida for. 

the engineering ability of Canada's aboriginal people is a really under-told story. 

Archived