The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-2019 - Line-Up - Trades to come ?

Caniners77

22 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

DhCpbuTUYAAL_tI.jpg

why did they sign Sven for 3 ??? he should have been a 1 yr prove to us you can play contract...Goldy is in trouble and where is the GRIT? and Muscle? to protect our prize young guns??? They have not addressed the softness of the team!

Here's my July 1st time capsule lines. 

Baertschi Horvat Boeser

Pettersson Sutter Eriksson

Roussel Gaudette Virtanen

Schaller Beagle Granlund

Goldobin

Gudbranson Hughes

Edler Stecher

Del Zotto Tanev

Hutton, Pouliot

Markstrom

Demko

There's my rough opinions of the 23 man roster. 

D is probably whack but I'm proud of the forward lines. Alex Auld influenced them a bit.

My lineup:

Baertschi  Horvat  Boeser

PetterssonGranlund Eriksson

Goldobin Sutter Virtanen

Roussel  Beagle Schaller  

Leipsic

Gagner

Edler  Tanev

Del Zotto  Gudbranson

Pouliout  Stecher

Hutton  Biega

i would like to see if granlund can get his offense going so I would like to try this out rather than having Sutter center Pettersson as He has more upside.

i always expected to have gaudette in the lineup but more development wouldn’t hurt and I don’t want to lose leipsic or Goldobin on waivers.  Injuries always happen, gaudette will play this year. 

I dont mind if hughes is on the team or not don’t want to lose guys on waivers though. 

No $&!# down line as petterson and/or Goldobin don’t fit that role but you have 4 solid defensive lines.  Just keep elder and Tanev against top lines. 

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser
Leipsic - Sutter - Gagner
Roussel - Beagle - Eriksson
Schaller - Gaunce - Virtanen
Granlund - Goldobin

Pettersson
Gaudette

Edler - Tanev
MDZ - Gudbranson
Hutton - Stecher
Pouliot - Biega

Juolevi
Hughes

Markstrom
Nilsson

I've left out the young guys that could possibly make the starting line up simply because they don't have to clear waivers. Even then, we have one extra player that will need to be waived. If one of the young guns steps up, then more moves will need to be made.

Ideally Gagner's spot is for Pettersson to take and Gagner would be the one moved out hopefully. I would take anything for him since we signed him for free anyway, so no real big loss. I'm not really expecting Juolevi or Gaudette to make the opening roster. Hughes might be a wild card, but I think if he turns pro, he would start in Utica and an inevitable injury or we move MDZ, Hutton, or Pouliot. I'd likely waive Biega for that extra spot at this point. There are certainly some interesting potential line combinations to balance the skill and grit though.

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I just read a province article where Benning is quoted as saying these signings will allow Green to use Sutter in a more offensive role.

WTF

If Sutter and Gagner are our Sedin replacements wow just wow.

A lot of people were wanting the Sedins to retire and now that they have, the change in the team dynamic to add more speed and grit is not welcomed? The offense to replace the Sedins will come from the prospects coming up, but it will take time. Sutter has been playing shut down role for quite some time and still has put up 30-35 points on top of it. It's not unreasonable to think that with less of the defensive brunt and more offensive linemates that he could get to 45 which won't be too bad for a 2nd line centerman. It's not going to turn this team around, but it could bump up his trade value. If Pettersson comes as advertised, then he will replace at least the Sedins in their last legs to start. Gagner had a poor year, but he's been a pretty consistent 40-50 point guy in his career, so also not a stretch to think that he could bounce back, but it'll be a matter of if he gets the ice time or if there's even a spot for him if Pettersson joins the team.

Eriksson - Horvat - Boeser 

-> put Eriksson in a position to succeed, his strengths lie in complimenting talented players. 

Baertschi - Granlund - Virtanen

-> The prove it line, a line meant to purely provide secondary scoring. I think this trio compliments each other well. 

Goldobin - Beagle - Sutter

-> Give Goldobin two defensively responsible linemates and let him run wild. Kid needs to show he can produce or he's worthless. 

Russell - Schaller - Gagner

-> Just a solid high energy fourth line. 

Let Pettersson and Gaudette develop in the AHL. I think Pettersson is farther away from being a comfortable NHL player than people think. Especially having to translate his game to NA ice. 

Just now, theo5789 said:

A lot of people were wanting the Sedins to retire and now that they have, the change in the team dynamic to add more speed and grit is not welcomed? The offense to replace the Sedins will come from the prospects coming up, but it will take time. Sutter has been playing shut down role for quite some time and still has put up 30-35 points on top of it. It's not unreasonable to think that with less of the defensive brunt and more offensive linemates that he could get to 45 which won't be too bad for a 2nd line centerman. It's not going to turn this team around, but it could bump up his trade value. If Pettersson comes as advertised, then he will replace at least the Sedins in their last legs to start. Gagner had a poor year, but he's been a pretty consistent 40-50 point guy in his career, so also not a stretch to think that he could bounce back, but it'll be a matter of if he gets the ice time or if there's even a spot for him if Pettersson joins the team.

We are in the place right now where placeholder offensive players are not necessary. Just get the kids into prime offensive roles and shelter them a bit. Ride Sutter, Beagle, Schaller, etc. for the hard defensive assignments. That is who Sutter is and last year finally fit the proper role. He kills the offensive creativity of his linemates more often than not. 

Gagner needs to be traded. He is not good enough to play center and if he isnt providing offense he offers little else to the team. 

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Eriksson-Gaudette-Pettersson

Roussel-Sutter-Virtanen

Schaller-Beagle-Granlund

Leipsic, Goldobin

I would be perfectly fine riding those bottom 2 lines with all the tough matchups and defensive zone draws. Free up those top 2 lines to generate offense. They will still be defensively responsible enough to not get shell shocked if they get matched up with good offensive lines on occasion.

4 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Eriksson - Horvat - Boeser 

-> put Eriksson in a position to succeed, his strengths lie in complimenting talented players. 

Baertschi - Granlund - Virtanen

-> The prove it line, a line meant to purely provide secondary scoring. I think this trio compliments each other well. 

Goldobin - Beagle - Sutter

-> Give Goldobin two defensively responsible linemates and let him run wild. Kid needs to show he can produce or he's worthless. 

Russell - Schaller - Gagner

-> Just a solid high energy fourth line. 

Let Pettersson and Gaudette develop in the AHL. I think Pettersson is farther away from being a comfortable NHL player than people think. Especially having to translate his game to NA ice. 

The problem is that bith Granlund and Schaller are weak on faceoffs so we will end up chasing the puck a lot. Sutter is better at center than he is on the wing. 

16 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The problem is that bith Granlund and Schaller are weak on faceoffs so we will end up chasing the puck a lot. Sutter is better at center than he is on the wing. 

Fair. I'm just not a fan of having a shoot first player at center. It's a pet peeve. 

13 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

We are in the place right now where placeholder offensive players are not necessary. Just get the kids into prime offensive roles and shelter them a bit. Ride Sutter, Beagle, Schaller, etc. for the hard defensive assignments. That is who Sutter is and last year finally fit the proper role. He kills the offensive creativity of his linemates more often than not. 

Gagner needs to be traded. He is not good enough to play center and if he isnt providing offense he offers little else to the team. 

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Eriksson-Gaudette-Pettersson

Roussel-Sutter-Virtanen

Schaller-Beagle-Granlund

Leipsic, Goldobin

I would be perfectly fine riding those bottom 2 lines with all the tough matchups and defensive zone draws. Free up those top 2 lines to generate offense. They will still be defensively responsible enough to not get shell shocked if they get matched up with good offensive lines on occasion.

We are also in a position to not need to rush the prospects. We are not expected to be competitive for another couple more years. We have who we have. I know that Gagner is not in the long term plans, but he's a guy that has to be beat rather than be looked past and have a prospect be handed a spot. Based on the short stint from Gaudette last season, he could use some time in Utica.

I agree that it will benefit us to move on from Gagner at this point, but might as well try to bump his value up a bit because at this point, I'm not sure there will be any takers. We could waive him, but I think that's unlikely.

10 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

We are also in a position to not need to rush the prospects. We are not expected to be competitive for another couple more years. We have who we have. I know that Gagner is not in the long term plans, but he's a guy that has to be beat rather than be looked past and have a prospect be handed a spot. Based on the short stint from Gaudette last season, he could use some time in Utica.

I agree that it will benefit us to move on from Gagner at this point, but might as well try to bump his value up a bit because at this point, I'm not sure there will be any takers. We could waive him, but I think that's unlikely.

Small sample size of course but Gaudette looked NHL ready to me.

I dont really see it as rushing the prospects at this point. I see it as finally using these flushable losing seasons for the greater good of getting those young guys relevent experience as the guys carrying the offensive mail.

The 3 signings today certainly set us up to be able to have 2 shutdown quality lines and 2 offensive type lines with higher o-zone starts and opportunity. 

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Small sample size of course but Gaudette looked NHL ready to me.

I dont really see it as rushing the prospects at this point. I see it as finally using these flushable losing seasons for the greater good of getting those young guys relevent experience as the guys carrying the offensive mail.

The 3 signings today certainly set us up to be able to have 2 shutdown quality lines and 2 offensive type lines with higher o-zone starts and opportunity. 

I agree with you about the defensive lines, but IMO Pettersson may be the only prospect ready to make the jump on forward.

I'm curious as to what made you feel like Gaudette is NHL ready and in a 2C role. To me, it looked like Gaudette needed more size and needs to adapt more to the pace of the game. Keep in mind that he was played in meaningless games, so the competition may not have been at it's best either. He was 37.5% in draws and averaged 12 mins of ice time. I don't think it'll hurt him to at least start the season in Utica and get some top 6 time there. He could find himself called up when the inevitable injuries occur.

9 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I agree with you about the defensive lines, but IMO Pettersson may be the only prospect ready to make the jump on forward.

I'm curious as to what made you feel like Gaudette is NHL ready and in a 2C role. To me, it looked like Gaudette needed more size and needs to adapt more to the pace of the game. Keep in mind that he was played in meaningless games, so the competition may not have been at it's best either. He was 37.5% in draws and averaged 12 mins of ice time. I don't think it'll hurt him to at least start the season in Utica and get some top 6 time there. He could find himself called up when the inevitable injuries occur.

It wouldnt hurt him to start in the AHL. 

What i noticed most about Gaudette was his brain is NHL quality. He showed no sign of being overwhelmed by the speed and pace of the game. He was consistently in good position defensively and didnt suffer from what you often see with young guys, which is they try to do too much. He showed a clear understanding of how to fit into the lineup. Offensively i thought he created some opportunities and made good decisions with the puck. 

2 lines centered by Horvat and Pettersson/Gaudette with offensive zone type deployment and 2 centered by Sutter and Beagle taking those defensive zone starts and tough matchups.

To me that seems like a really good fit with our current lineup to get those young guys acclimated to life as a top 6 forwatd in the NHL while minimizing downside risk defensively.

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

It wouldnt hurt him to start in the AHL. 

What i noticed most about Gaudette was his brain is NHL quality. He showed no sign of being overwhelmed by the speed and pace of the game. He was consistently in good position defensively and didnt suffer from what you often see with young guys, which is they try to do too much. He showed a clear understanding of how to fit into the lineup. Offensively i thought he created some opportunities and made good decisions with the puck. 

2 lines centered by Horvat and Pettersson/Gaudette with offensive zone type deployment and 2 centered by Sutter and Beagle taking those defensive zone starts and tough matchups.

To me that seems like a really good fit with our current lineup to get those young guys acclimated to life as a top 6 forwatd in the NHL while minimizing downside risk defensively.

I think Gaudette was playing it safe and not wanting to make any mistakes despite being quite decent offensively coming out of college. It does show a good understanding of how to adapt to the game, but I felt like he wasn't playing to his strengths. I think he needs to find his bearings in the AHL and bulk up and get comfortable with the pro game. Once he's confident in himself, he definitely will be an excellent player. There is time for that though and why I don't think there's a need to rush him in despite getting sheltered minutes.

I think Pettersson could benefit more playing with Sutter on the 2nd line with a guy that is defensively strong on his line to allow him to focus on his offense. I also think it would be good for him to learn the center game from a strong centerman in Sutter if the end game is to have him as a NHL center. Pettersson's skill would benefit Sutter as he will be the creativity in the offense and Sutter just needs to drive the net and create space. If he comes as advertised, then he could pad Sutter's stats to make him more valuable in a future trade.

My projection at center is Horvat, Sutter, Beagle and Gaunce. Strong defensively down the middle and can all take draws (possession is important) and allows the offense to be worked from the wings.

7 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I think Gaudette was playing it safe and not wanting to make any mistakes despite being quite decent offensively coming out of college. It does show a good understanding of how to adapt to the game, but I felt like he wasn't playing to his strengths. I think he needs to find his bearings in the AHL and bulk up and get comfortable with the pro game. Once he's confident in himself, he definitely will be an excellent player. There is time for that though and why I don't think there's a need to rush him in despite getting sheltered minutes.

I think Pettersson could benefit more playing with Sutter on the 2nd line with a guy that is defensively strong on his line to allow him to focus on his offense. I also think it would be good for him to learn the center game from a strong centerman in Sutter if the end game is to have him as a NHL center. Pettersson's skill would benefit Sutter as he will be the creativity in the offense and Sutter just needs to drive the net and create space. If he comes as advertised, then he could pad Sutter's stats to make him more valuable in a future trade.

My projection at center is Horvat, Sutter, Beagle and Gaunce. Strong defensively down the middle and can all take draws (possession is important) and allows the offense to be worked from the wings.

If the plan is to put Pettersson with Sutter, its probably better to send him to the AHL. Sutter is not the right linemate to get him confortable offensively. 

I would rather see Pettersson with Loui Eriksson. I think it would play to both of their strengths very well. Even a space creator and puck retriever like Roussel on the other wing might be the makings of a solid line. 

Gaunce is likely the odd man out. And Goldobin probably.

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

If the plan is to put Pettersson with Sutter, its probably better to send him to the AHL. Sutter is not the right linemate to get him confortable offensively. 

I would rather see Pettersson with Loui Eriksson. I think it would play to both of their strengths very well. Even a space creator and puck retriever like Roussel on the other wing might be the makings of a solid line. 

Pettersson played wing basically all year in the SHL, so there's not much expectation for him to step into the NHL as a center. Benning has already said that it's going to take time for him to transition to center, but doesn't know if it'll take like half a year or even a couple of years. Pettersson could surprise us all once again, but there's no dire need to rush him into it. Perhaps an Eriksson - Sutter - Pettersson line wouldn't be out of the question. Roussel is a sh!t disturber and probably wouldn't want Pettersson out there when he's doing his thing. Sutter is a guy that can manage the defensive responsibilities of the line and will stand up for his teammates when needed. Sutter being good at draws will also help win possession for players like Pettersson to work their magic. I originally had Leipsic on the line with them and he's got a bit of offensive flair to work with Pettersson, but Eriksson would be a good linemate as well and may finally earn his 6 million dollar pay cheque.

Archived