The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-2019 - Line-Up - Trades to come ?

Caniners77

13 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Pettersson played wing basically all year in the SHL, so there's not much expectation for him to step into the NHL as a center. Benning has already said that it's going to take time for him to transition to center, but doesn't know if it'll take like half a year or even a couple of years. Pettersson could surprise us all once again, but there's no dire need to rush him into it. Perhaps an Eriksson - Sutter - Pettersson line wouldn't be out of the question. Roussel is a sh!t disturber and probably wouldn't want Pettersson out there when he's doing his thing. Sutter is a guy that can manage the defensive responsibilities of the line and will stand up for his teammates when needed. Sutter being good at draws will also help win possession for players like Pettersson to work their magic. I originally had Leipsic on the line with them and he's got a bit of offensive flair to work with Pettersson, but Eriksson would be a good linemate as well and may finally earn his 6 million dollar pay cheque.

Even if Pettersson plays wing, the last center i would put him with would be Sutter. Aside from the fact Green is still going to need to lean on Sutter and his line as a defensive zone option (which is not ideal deployment for EP), Sutter tends to kill offensive results with his linemates. 

People seem to really underestimate just how much more NHL ready these top young prospects are nowadays. We see it all the time on other teams. All it takes is a good coach who understands how to maximize the positives and minimize the negatives with his player and line deployment.

Putting EP with Sutter - or even just expecting Sutter to step into a scoring role at all - is just wishful thinking type deployment that completely ignores the realistic strengths snd weaknesses of Sutter. Let him do the job he is suited for.

11 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Even if Pettersson plays wing, the last center i would put him with would be Sutter. Aside from the fact Green is still going to need to lean on Sutter and his line as a defensive zone option (which is not ideal deployment for EP), Sutter tends to kill offensive results with his linemates. 

People seem to really underestimate just how much more NHL ready these top young prospects are nowadays. We see it all the time on other teams. All it takes is a good coach who understands how to maximize the positives and minimize the negatives with his player and line deployment.

Putting EP with Sutter - or even just expecting Sutter to step into a scoring role at all - is just wishful thinking type deployment that completely ignores the realistic strengths snd weaknesses of Sutter. Let him do the job he is suited for.

We just signed Beagle to take the defensive brunt. If Gaunce is the other center as I have projected, then he's another strong defensive center. Sutter has been put into the checking role for quite some time being on teams that have been strong down the middle. He's been a 30 point player despite being in that shut down role. No one is expecting him to be a dominant offensive force, but he could be a 40-45 point guy given the opportunity. If he partnered with Pettersson, he will not be in that defensive zone start role, but be a responsible defensive player on a line that allows Pettersson to do his thing. It's not a long term solution, but it's a decent transition for Pettersson getting into the NHL.

Benning has stated that Sutter will likely be put into a more offensive role and we didn't sign Beagle to a 4 year 3 million dollar contract to be a 4th line center. I'll trust the NHL minds on this one. So you may not like it, but it's likely happening. Whether Pettersson will be his linemate or not, we will see.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

We just signed Beagle to take the defensive brunt. If Gaunce is the other center as I have projected, then he's another strong defensive center. Sutter has been put into the checking role for quite some time being on teams that have been strong down the middle. He's been a 30 point player despite being in that shut down role. No one is expecting him to be a dominant offensive force, but he could be a 40-45 point guy given the opportunity. If he partnered with Pettersson, he will not be in that defensive zone start role, but be a responsible defensive player on a line that allows Pettersson to do his thing. It's not a long term solution, but it's a decent transition for Pettersson getting into the NHL.

Benning has stated that Sutter will likely be put into a more offensive role and we didn't sign Beagle to a 4 year 3 million dollar contract to be a 4th line center. I'll trust the NHL minds on this one. So you may not like it, but it's likely happening. Whether Pettersson will be his linemate or not, we will see.

I could see a scenario where Benning thinks this lineup could be a viable option for Travis Green to roll 4 lines.

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Ericsson-Sutter-Petersson

Roussel-Beagle-Gagner

Leipsic-Schaller-Virtanen

Guance,Granlund,Motte, and Archibald have a fierce battle for who is to sit in the press box.

On d

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Tanev

Pouliot-Gudbranson

Hutton, Biega

Juolevi starts in the minors along with Gaudette and Dahlen and Lind and whoever else the Canucks can sneak through waivers or maybe are forced to trade guys who don't fit the team like MDZ and Goldobin.

1. Easing Pettersson in while playing with two of our better defensive forwards is smart at least until he proves he can hang at this level on this ice surface

2. Granlund is likely the 13th forward rotating with Leipsic, Motte Gaunce and Archie are all easily funneled through to Utica with little threat of them getting scooped (and if they do it's not a major loss (though CDC will make it seem like it - See Volpatti, Corrado and the unnecessary freak out over insignificant players)

3. I don't see Hughes on the Canucks next year, everyone is excited and I am too but I think he's not quite ready / will probably decide to go back to school one more year McAvoy / Werenski style (those guys turned out fine - an extra year developing isn't gonna hurt him). I think people are sleeping on Juolevi who has had a couple years to develop and by all accounts was a solid D-Man on a men's team

4. If by mid-season one of the young guys tear it up in Utica - Benning can make room for them by trading MDZ (an expiring), Hutton, Granlund, Leipsic (all low-cost RFAs) and even Gagner (who only has two years left and at worst we retain some salary for a year) to make room for the guy(s) deserving of a call-up. Not a fan of gifting kids a spot before they have even proven anything at the minor league level. The young guys who earn it will have room to play. People need to examine our lineup and realize that along with the amount of expiring $ over the next two years - the cap is not an issue for us

my line up to start:

baerstchi horvat boeser

granlund/goldobin beagle petterson

ericsson/leipsic gaudette virtanen

roussel sutter leipsic/ericsson

hughes tanev

edler stecher 

juolevi hutton/gudbranson/pouliot

markstrom

demko/nilson

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

It wouldnt hurt him to start in the AHL. 

What i noticed most about Gaudette was his brain is NHL quality. He showed no sign of being overwhelmed by the speed and pace of the game. He was consistently in good position defensively and didnt suffer from what you often see with young guys, which is they try to do too much. He showed a clear understanding of how to fit into the lineup. Offensively i thought he created some opportunities and made good decisions with the puck. 

2 lines centered by Horvat and Pettersson/Gaudette with offensive zone type deployment and 2 centered by Sutter and Beagle taking those defensive zone starts and tough matchups.

To me that seems like a really good fit with our current lineup to get those young guys acclimated to life as a top 6 forwatd in the NHL while minimizing downside risk defensively.

I agree, Gaudette did everything we hoped for other than convert his chances and he was a bit unlucky with that. His game did not look weak in any of the phases, not even in defence imo, which is often where rookies get found out in positioning and/or stamina.

I imagine even as we discuss him here, he is out there every day building strength, speed and working on his skating.

Another player who I think is doing the same and will come back transformed is Gaunce. He was not really put in a position to score as his defence was outstanding, one of the best on the roster but he was unlucky as he got injured just as his luck seemed to be changing in front of the net. I have no doubt Gaunce will turn out to be an excellent middle 6 forward but whether it will be with us has yet to be determined. He certainly has the drive and the intelligence.

5 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

I could see a scenario where Benning thinks this lineup could be a viable option for Travis Green to roll 4 lines.

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Ericsson-Sutter-Petersson

Roussel-Beagle-Gagner

Leipsic-Schaller-Virtanen

Guance,Granlund,Motte, and Archibald have a fierce battle for who is to sit in the press box.

On d

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Tanev

Pouliot-Gudbranson

Hutton, Biega

Juolevi starts in the minors along with Gaudette and Dahlen and Lind and whoever else the Canucks can sneak through waivers or maybe are forced to trade guys who don't fit the team like MDZ and Goldobin.

Green likes the matchup based on last season, but that could be the lack of personnel. Schaller isn't really a center, at least not regularly with Boston, since he took very little draws and was only 45% last season so despite being listed as a center, he's about as good there as Gagner or Granlund.

I think MDZ will be traded at some point, but not sure if it'll be this summer. If Hughes cracks the roster, I have to believe it'll be Hutton/Pouliot's spot that he would take.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Green likes the matchup based on last season, but that could be the lack of personnel. Schaller isn't really a center, at least not regularly with Boston, since he took very little draws and was only 45% last season so despite being listed as a center, he's about as good there as Gagner or Granlund.

I think MDZ will be traded at some point, but not sure if it'll be this summer. If Hughes cracks the roster, I have to believe it'll be Hutton/Pouliot's spot that he would take.

With some work with Malhotra you never know he could make Schaller a solid option at 4th line center.

Certainly no worse than the Michael Chaputs, Adam Cracknells, of the world.

(Stolen from genius in proposal section******************************

Our depth this year is looking really good in most areas. Its a good problem to have right.

One option we have now,  that i would explore,  is trading some depth for an upgrade.

Left wing : Baertschi - Eriksson - Leipsic -with the addition of Roussel and the possibilty of Gadjovich.

Right Wing  : Boeser - Petterson - Goldobin - Virtanen with Lind Knocking on the door in the near future.

Center : Horvat - Gaudette - Sutter - Granlund - Gagner - Gaunce - additionally Beagle and Schaller.

The right wing position has 3 skill guys for two spots. Boeser and Petterson are basically locks for those  spots leaving Goldy on the bench or snagged in waivers. 

Center is logjam city now with the new additions, some of them can and will play on the wing but we will have to pass some value thru waivers at some point especially if our young guys step up.

Our D is pretty crowded also with some exciting young guns knocking in Hughes, Juolevi and Brisbois.

Tanev might be our best tradeable asset right now, hes also a valuable Right D to us but Hughes, Del Zotto, Pouliot could all play on the right side.

Van trades 

Tanev - Granlund - Goldobin 

Buffalo trades

Sam Reinhart - 2nd round pick 2019

Buffalo has bad depth and a need for right shot dependable D man. Sam Reinhart has played right wing mostly since arriving in buffalo and would remain there with Eichel and Mittelstadt ahead of him on center depth chart. We'd be sending a replacment for the right wing depth , Goldy, and Granlund could slot in at center or wing solidifying team depth. Tanev would be a great partner for Dahlin with Ristolainen the only other right shot D and him not being an ideal fit with RD according to most speculation. 

Our 2018/19 starting line up :

Baertchi - Horvat - Boeser

Eriksson - Reinhart - Petterson

Gaudette - Beagle - Virtanen

Roussel - Sutter - Schaller        Leipsic  Gagner, Gaunce, Motte, Lind, Gadjovich

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Gudbranson

Del Zotto - Pouliot          Hutton, Biega, Juolevi, Brisbois

6 hours ago, naslundfan921 said:

1. Easing Pettersson in while playing with two of our better defensive forwards is smart at least until he proves he can hang at this level on this ice surface

2. Granlund is likely the 13th forward rotating with Leipsic, Motte Gaunce and Archie are all easily funneled through to Utica with little threat of them getting scooped (and if they do it's not a major loss (though CDC will make it seem like it - See Volpatti, Corrado and the unnecessary freak out over insignificant players)

3. I don't see Hughes on the Canucks next year, everyone is excited and I am too but I think he's not quite ready / will probably decide to go back to school one more year McAvoy / Werenski style (those guys turned out fine - an extra year developing isn't gonna hurt him). I think people are sleeping on Juolevi who has had a couple years to develop and by all accounts was a solid D-Man on a men's team

4. If by mid-season one of the young guys tear it up in Utica - Benning can make room for them by trading MDZ (an expiring), Hutton, Granlund, Leipsic (all low-cost RFAs) and even Gagner (who only has two years left and at worst we retain some salary for a year) to make room for the guy(s) deserving of a call-up. Not a fan of gifting kids a spot before they have even proven anything at the minor league level. The young guys who earn it will have room to play. People need to examine our lineup and realize that along with the amount of expiring $ over the next two years - the cap is not an issue for us

Benning seems preety convinced he is ready to turn pro. Only question is if he starts in the AHL like Stecher did or makes the team straight out of camp.

The Canucks haven't had any player close to Hughes' potential impact offensively since Ehrhoff left as a UFA.

Bear - Bo - Boeser

Eriksson - Sutter - EP

Granny - Beagle - Gaudette

Roussel - Schaller - Virtanen (Gaunce)

Leipsic will have to earn his spot and maybe slot into Erikss or Baer's spots.

Motte will have to win out Granny to earn his spot.

Gaunce will split time with Virtanen this season. 

There is a possibility that some of the acquisition won't work out and maybe Schaller will be replaced by Gaunce who steps up his game.

That leaves us with Gagner. I think he will start on the right wing at Virtanen's spot. But I think he should be ousted by Virtanen once he gets his chance to possibly display his offseason improvement. 

Edler - Tanev

Hughes - Guddy

MDZ - Stetch

Hutton/ Pouliot

I think it will be another year of in and out for Juolevi. But I think he will be sent to AHL for more seasoning.

3 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

With some work with Malhotra you never know he could make Schaller a solid option at 4th line center.

Certainly no worse than the Michael Chaputs, Adam Cracknells, of the world.

If he can be converted into a strong centerman, then that certainly boosts his value even higher.

I'd still like to see Gaunce given a shot there though and his faceoff numbers aren't too bad.

23 hours ago, Provost said:

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser             

Petterson-Sutter-Eriksson
Roussell-Beagle-Virtanen
Schaller-Gaudette-Granlund

Leipsic

Edler-Stecher

Juolevi/Hughes-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson
Del Zotto-Pouliot

There is our lineup as of today I think.  Benning specifically mentioned Gaudette helping with scoring this year, so I think he is pencilled in and not bound for Utica.
L and R hand centres on 2nd and 4th lines.
Sutter/Eriksson and Beagle/Granlund as PK pairings... maybe Petterson gets to centre a 2nd unit PP to start getting some minutes in that position.

Gagner, Motte, Archibald, Goldobin, Biega are the odd men out as of the moment it would seem.  Hopefully we can get something for a couple of them, not sure if anyone gets picked up on waivers for sure.  Goldobin and Motte could "maybe" be snuck through at the end of training camp when all teams are trying to trim rosters.

Washington fans loved Beagle but all stated he is a 4th line centre. Maybe switch up Beagle and Gaudette? Not that it makes a huge difference. Probably semantics at this point.

Pettersson Horvat boeser 

baertchi  sutter  Eriksson 

roussel  baegle  Virtanen 

schaller  gaudette  Granlund 

Goldobin. waive Gagner 

Interchange sutter and gaudette if need be.

edler Stecher 

hughes Tanev 

Hutton Gudbranson 

Juolevi   delzotto

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Eriksson - Sutter - Pettersson

Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen

Leipsic - Beagle - Gagner

Goldobin, Gaunce. 

- I have Gagner on the 4th line here but he could very well be 3rd with Virtanen on the 4th. I think the wingers in the bottom 6 + LE are interchangeable, could drop Roussel & Eriksson down and move Leipsic up. 

Edler - Stecher

MDZ - Tanev

Pouliot - Gudbranson

Hutton, Biega

I think Juolevi will be the first call up, I would be very surprised if he doesn't play this year. And hopefully when he does play he's given a chance to build his confidence. I think Hughes should go back to Michigan for another year then sign at the end of the season. But it sounds like a solid possibility he turns pro right away, in which case he probably throws my projection out of whack.

Markstrom 

Nilsson

Demko

At the end of last season I thought Demko would be the likely backup, but now I'm leaning towards Nilsson on the Canucks & Demko starting back in Utica. 

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Eriksson - Sutter - Pettersson

Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen

Leipsic - Beagle - Gagner

Goldobin, Gaunce. 

- I have Gagner on the 4th line here but he could very well be 3rd with Virtanen on the 4th. I think the wingers in the bottom 6 + LE are interchangeable, could drop Roussel & Eriksson down and move Leipsic up. 

Edler - Stecher

MDZ - Tanev

Pouliot - Gudbranson

Hutton, Biega

I think Juolevi will be the first call up, I would be very surprised if he doesn't play this year. And hopefully when he does play he's given a chance to build his confidence. I think Hughes should go back to Michigan for another year then sign at the end of the season. But it sounds like a solid possibility he turns pro right away, in which case he probably throws my projection out of whack.

Markstrom 

Nilsson

Demko

At the end of last season I thought Demko would be the likely backup, but now I'm leaning towards Nilsson on the Canucks & Demko starting back in Utica. 

if we start the year out with the same D lineup as last year we are going no where. I agree it  might not  be a bad thing for Hughes to spend another year at Michigan or even in UItica, but the D we had last year was painful to watch and we cant put a youngster like Demko behind that swiss cheese and expect him to develop.

6 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

if we start the year out with the same D lineup as last year we are going no where. I agree it  might not  be a bad thing for Hughes to spend another year at Michigan or even in UItica, but the D we had last year was painful to watch and we cant put a youngster like Demko behind that swiss cheese and expect him to develop.

I completely agree, they need to try and address this in that secondary trade market. But judging by past moves, I'm not holding my breath on them finding the answer. Hughes would be our best OFD right off the bat, but will he be a big defensive upgrade on our others. (MDZ yes, Hutton/Pouliot - maybe/yes, Stecher/Guddy - probably on par).

The guy I'm looking at to help is Juolevi. Its probably partly optimism on my part, but he will be a pro this year, & with the steps he took last year - ending up as a leading minute man for his team in the playoffs (putting up good points too) - I think he is a guy that if he's given an opportunity to play a regular shift he could take steps again and maybe even establish himself as a second pair guy at some point in the year, or atleast start too. I like his upside more than Pouliot as far as someone we aren't expecting to become a bigger part of the defense this season. 

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

I completely agree, they need to try and address this in that secondary market. But I'm not holding my breath on them finding the answer. Hughes would be our best OFD right off the bat, but will he be a big defensive upgrade on our others. (MDZ yes, Hutton/Pouliot - maybe/yes, Stecher/Guddy - probably on par).

The guy I'm looking at to help is Juolevi. Its probably partly optimism on my part, but he will be a pro this year, & with the steps he took last year - ending up as a leading minute man for his team in the playoffs (putting up good points too) - I think he is a guy that if he's given an opportunity to play a regular shift he could take steps again and maybe even establish himself as a second pair guy at some point in the year, or atleast start too. I like his upside more than Pouliot as far as someone we aren't expecting to become a bigger part of the defense this season. 

Again we need D help but im not sure at this point signing a FA d and paying over the top money will solve the problem. we need to have Edler retire, move on from MDZ and pick which one of Hutton Stecher and Pouliot is staying. then its time to give the system a chance to fill in the roles needed. lots of D men in utica. Can any of them play? Sautner looked pretty good last season. If we do not draft in a spot where there is a generational center next draft we should look at more D men. we have the grit signed for four years.  next draft its Centers and D again.

Archived