The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

14 hours ago, Deathrowe said:

I really liked the way that Boldy looked at the U18, His hockey IQ and play making are both at a very high level and I would love to see him on the left side with Petey and Boeser. For what its worth this is what my list looks like right now.

1. Hughes

2. Kakko

3. Byram

4. Turcotte

5. Dach

6. Krebs

7. Boldy

8. Cozens

9. Podkolzin

10. Caufield

11. Zegras

12. Newhook

13. Soderstrom

14. Kaliyev

15. Seider

16. Lavoie

17. Harley

18. Brink

19. York

20. Broberg

Brobergs IQ and offensive game worry me. Maybe it will come around but I think Soderstrom and Harley looked way better. Plus Sod played top 4  as a 17 year old in the SHL Not even EP  can claim that.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

First 3 picks in the 2019 Draft and the roster a couple of years from now, I'm bored

UFA - Pettersson - PODKOLZIN

Pearson - Horvat - Boeser

Leivo - Gaudette - GREWE

Gadjovich - Madden - Virtanen

MacEwen

Edler - Hughes

Tryamkin - Stecher

Juolevi - Woo

LUNDQVIST - Rathbone

I will go out on a limb and say Jake will not be a 4th line player. Podz will never be a Canuck and Brock and Petey will not be split up. Also what about Lind? Oh, and Madden will be a top 6 within 2 years IMHO  Why do people right off Baer? Yes, he has had health issues, but when he plays all he does is put up points and has improved each year. Plus we severely lack playmakers. Which is why I'm on team Krebs, who I think could possibly jump in this year with Brock and Petey. I also thin Trams a dick and Rathbone will take his job if he even comes back to us. I say he re-ups in Russia. He just seems like the type. Cheers

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Probably cause Petey isn't a defenseman.

In reference to Pettersson playing his draft eligible year in the Allsvenskan. I think its definitely a credit to Soderstrom that he was able to play in the SHL as a teenager, especially as a defencemen.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Deathrowe said:

In reference to Pettersson playing his draft eligible year in the Allsvenskan. I think its definitely a credit to Soderstrom that he was able to play in the SHL as a teenager, especially as a defencemen.

Considering Soderstrom is a smallish, and still physically maturing guy, it is certainly impressive he can play against men.  However, for D, the larger ice is a comfort for the smaller D man.  The fore check is not nearly so fast or heavy as over here.  That's why guys like Philip Larsen so so well on larger ice, but are terrible here.  Same goes for Liljegren with the Marlies.  Smaller guy, who just isn't made for the faster and heavier fore check here. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Considering Soderstrom is a smallish, and still physically maturing guy, it is certainly impressive he can play against men.  However, for D, the larger ice is a comfort for the smaller D man.  The fore check is not nearly so fast or heavy as over here.  That's why guys like Philip Larsen so so well on larger ice, but are terrible here.  Same goes for Liljegren with the Marlies.  Smaller guy, who just isn't made for the faster and heavier fore check here. 

I guess thats the one big potential downside to Soderstrom.... will he be like Tanev in injuries as well given what you're pointing out?

If the draft goes anything like the current rankings we might have Broberg available who's already got an NHL frame. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess thats the one big potential downside to Soderstrom.... will he be like Tanev in injuries as well given what you're pointing out?

If the draft goes anything like the current rankings we might have Broberg available who's already got an NHL frame. 

Higher ceiling too.  I think I'd rather have Seider over Soderstrom.  

5 hours ago, youngguns19 said:

Brobergs IQ and offensive game worry me. Maybe it will come around but I think Soderstrom and Harley looked way better. Plus Sod played top 4  as a 17 year old in the SHL Not even EP  can claim that.

His offense against junior players has actually been really good, he had the highest points/game for a Dman in the SuperElit U20 league that played more than 5 games. He also has produced well in international tournaments. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Higher ceiling too.  I think I'd rather have Seider over Soderstrom.  

https://www.eprinkside.com/2019/5/6/blog-broberg-or-soderstrom

This article was kinda the last straw for me on Broberg. If our guys draft him I'll hop on board because i have faith in our Swedish scouting. However the following excerpt sounds very concerning.

"Broberg doesn’t, by any means, have terrible hockey sense, but it is a weakness in his offensive game. He can make the same mistake several situations in a row and will often try to do the same thing with the puck repeatedly, even when it is obvious that his opponents have figured out what he wants to do and what he is trying to accomplish. He often tries to move the puck on the outside to beat his opponent with his high top speed before heading towards the net, when teams learn his patterns and adjusts accordingly, he doesn’t adapt to it and instead goes straight into the defenders before losing the puck, over and over again. It’s one of the reasons he hasn’t been close to as dominant against men as he is when he is playing against U18- or U20-competition. Even at U20-level there is a significant difference on how often his rushes succeeds compared to U18, because of how much faster his opponents adjusts and prepares for the way he rushes the puck. If he would learn from past situations, adapt and look for other solutions he would become a much more efficient, and less predictable, offensive catalyst when he moves the puck. Defensively Broberg has shown good vision without the puck and can make smart reads to intercept passes but he doesn’t have the same defensive awareness as Söderström does and can be taken by surprise because he isn’t fully aware what is happening around him, which is one of the reasons his positioning while defending isn’t always on point."   

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

His offense against junior players has actually been really good, he had the highest points/game for a Dman in the SuperElit U20 league that played more than 5 games. He also has produced well in international tournaments. 

Would be happy to draft him if we pick up an additional 15-20'ish OA pick.

At 10, there's better options IMO.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Deathrowe said:

https://www.eprinkside.com/2019/5/6/blog-broberg-or-soderstrom

This article was kinda the last straw for me on Broberg. If our guys draft him I'll hop on board because i have faith in our Swedish scouting. However the following excerpt sounds very concerning.

"Broberg doesn’t, by any means, have terrible hockey sense, but it is a weakness in his offensive game. He can make the same mistake several situations in a row and will often try to do the same thing with the puck repeatedly, even when it is obvious that his opponents have figured out what he wants to do and what he is trying to accomplish. He often tries to move the puck on the outside to beat his opponent with his high top speed before heading towards the net, when teams learn his patterns and adjusts accordingly, he doesn’t adapt to it and instead goes straight into the defenders before losing the puck, over and over again. It’s one of the reasons he hasn’t been close to as dominant against men as he is when he is playing against U18- or U20-competition. Even at U20-level there is a significant difference on how often his rushes succeeds compared to U18, because of how much faster his opponents adjusts and prepares for the way he rushes the puck. If he would learn from past situations, adapt and look for other solutions he would become a much more efficient, and less predictable, offensive catalyst when he moves the puck. Defensively Broberg has shown good vision without the puck and can make smart reads to intercept passes but he doesn’t have the same defensive awareness as Söderström does and can be taken by surprise because he isn’t fully aware what is happening around him, which is one of the reasons his positioning while defending isn’t always on point."   

Ya, I read that too.  However, Brogerg does have the higher ceiling, which is what we need to draft.  Likely though there will be a forward at 10 that is more enticing that either Brogerg or Soderstrom.   

Saw an interesting video someone put together on (RD) Moritz Seider.

He has size, is a good skater, very reliable and steady defensively. Although, he can get the puck up ice and has good breakouts, he doesn't provide much offence, if any. But he is so strong defensively, in the D-zone, along the boards and half wall. He's already playing a big role in Germany's best league, playing against men. And he just turned 18 last month.

The person who put the video together (sorry I haven't attached the video) made a very good point that Seider would be a perfect fit with Hughes as a D partner. Hughes can wheel and deal and skate circles around a lot of players, he jumps in the play a lot and creates offence. Sometimes though, his offensive skill causes giveaways or takeaways, and Hughes could be left caught up ice. With Seider as his partner, he could be free to really display all of his skills without worry. Seider would hold the back line, maybe become Markstrom's best friend :) He could be the steal of the Draft. I think the only reason he isn't ranked higher is because of where he plays and there being so little information about him, compared to most of the other top prospects.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Ya im hoping one of these guys drop in our lap.

Dach

Turcotte

Cozens

Krebs

Zegras

Yeah, it's certainly possible that Benning, Brackett and Co have another D not named Byram in their top 10 but I just don't see it likely that we're drafting a D with SOOOO many solid F's available at that spot. The math just doesn't add up.

1 minute ago, Deathrowe said:

Really starting to get nervous about all the Subban talk. If we moved our top pick for him this year i would be pretty upset.

I would be choked if we traded our 1st for him. He'll be 30 next week and I believe his decline has already begun. Not to mention he's currently making $9,000,000 per over the next 3 years, and then the Canucks try to trade him at the TDL in 2022 when he's declined further at 33? We'd also have to protect him in the expansion draft.

The only way I would be okay with this is if they traded Tanev (as well as Eriksson and Sutter).  

15 minutes ago, Deathrowe said:

Really starting to get nervous about all the Subban talk. If we moved our top pick for him this year i would be pretty upset.

Can't see it.

Our 2nd, plus... ? Maybe.

Our 2020 1st (lottery protected)? Maybe.

Our 2019 10th  OA at the home town draft..... don't see it.

Besides, I doubt Nashville is looking for futures.

Edited by aGENT

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, it's certainly possible that Benning, Brackett and Co have another D not named Byram in their top 10 but I just don't see it likely that we're drafting a D with SOOOO many solid F's available at that spot. The math just doesn't add up.

One of Harley, York, Soderstrom, or Broberg could be ranked in Canucks top 10. But hopefully some teams go off the board and a top 6-7 ranked player on the Canucks list drop to us.