The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

Also not that I just want him to be good because of his story/name. But Saucerman is really active from the point. He’s always trying to sneak shots through or get the puck deep for his forwards, I actually really like how he plays. Hope he keeps it up! Get Sauced Utica, Jasek with EN goal. Another win. Now that both teams are healthy we’re starting to see some wins!

• Upvote 2

Just now, Attila Umbrus said:

Also not that I just want him to be good because of his story/name. But Saucerman is really active from the point. He’s always trying to sneak shots through or get the puck deep for his forwards, I actually really like how he plays. Hope he keeps it up! Get Sauced Utica, Jasek with EN goal. Another win. Now that both teams are healthy we’re starting to see some wins!

Jasek out with an EN.  That’s saying the coach likes how Jasek plays.  Looks good for his future for sure.  And another win for Demko!  

• Cheers 2

By Ben Birnell
Posted at 10:09 PM Updated at 11:21 PM

UTICA – The Utica Comets have a ton of momentum on their side.

The Comets scored four consecutive goals — including three in the third period — to rally for a 5-2 victory over the Binghamton Devils on Friday at the Adirondack Bank Center at the Utica Memorial Auditorium.

“They took it to us a bit in the second and we’re lucky Thatcher (Demko) played as well as he did,” said Brendan Gaunce, who had one of the third period goals and added an assist. “We knew as we were tied in the third period that’s a good thing in our own building and we obviously proved that.”

Demko was solid throughout, totaling 27 saves – including 24 over the last 40 minutes -- for his third consecutive win in his 100th career professional game. He improved to 5-3-0 this season and has a team-best 52 career wins.

“We just talked about sticking to our game. It was one of those that it was an up-and-down game, it was a rollercoaster. There’s going to be some ebb and flows and we stayed with it,” said Comets coach Trent Cull, whose team has won a season-best five consecutive home games.

The result gives the Comets (14-13-1-1, 30 points) their first four-game winning streak of the season and pushed them over .500 for the first time since October. With the win, the Comets moved into third place in the North Division as they head to Charlotte for two big games.

Utica has earned wins in eight of its last 11 games, including wins in back-to-back meetings against Binghamton (11-15-3-0).

With the game knotted at 2, the Comets took over in the third. Guillaume Brisebois put Utica ahead for good less than four minutes in when the unchecked defenseman got a cross-ice feed from Reid Boucher to score his second of the season from the left circle.

“That was a nice play,” Cull said. “There’s nothing really flashy about Guillaume, but he’s one of those guys who does everything pretty well. He doesn’t excel at one thing. I think he does a lot of things really well. ... When he’s playing with a little authority and little bit of menace, I like his game.”

The Comets added a shorthanded goal from Gaunce — his sixth of the season came with help from a nice setup from Carter Bancks — and rookie Lukas Jasek put an exclamation point on the win with an empty-netter after Binghamton pulled Mackenize Blackwood with about four minutes to play.

“I just tried to beat the guy up the ice and put my stick on the ice and he kind of laid it on me,” Gaunce said of his goal. “It was a nice play by him.”

The Comets also got multi-point efforts from Boucher (two assists for 13 points in eight games) and Jasek (goal, assist). Zack MacEwen continued his strong second pro season with his 13th goal of the season in the first period and Cam Darcy also scored for the Comets, who have five or more goals in five of their last six games.

The Comets lost young forward Jonathan Dahlen to an injury after a hard hit into the boards in the second period. Cull didn’t have an update on Dahlen after the game.

Utica controlled much of the first 20 minutes, taking the lead less than five minutes into the period when MacEwen took a pass from Gaunce and made a few moves to get to the net. Blackwood (19 saves) appeared to get a piece of MacEwen’s shot before it squeezed through for MacEwen’s 23rd point of the season.

Binghamton turned up the pressure in the second with the help from its special teams — ranked among the worst in the league.

The Devils got a shorthanded tally on a blast from Eric Gryba to make it 1-1 less than three minutes into the period and then Eric Tangradi — back after a one-game suspension for hit Utica’s Ashton Sautner — scored on a rebound with Binghamton on the power play eight minutes later.

“I didn’t like our second period,” said Cull, who wasn’t especially pleased with the Comets’ special teams. “We had to stay patient with our game.”

The Comets evened the game at 2 with 40 seconds left in the second. On the play, Jasek sent a cross-ice feed to an unchecked Darcy, who made a nice move in front and slipped it past Blackwood’s pad for his fifth of the season.

“That’s a huge goal. Any time you score first minute or last minute it is big for momentum,” Gaunce said. “I think we kind of surprised them there with that because they were on us the whole period. We were opportunistic.”

Notes: General Manager Ryan Johnson said on TSN 1040 radio on Friday that Jalen Chatfield is “out a couple more months” because of a broken bone in his foot. He has been out since Nov. 17. ... The Vancouver Canucks announced Friday that righthanded defenseman Mitch Eliot has been signed to a three-year, entry level contract. The 20-year-old Eliot is in his second season with OHL Sarnia and ranks fifth on the team with seven goals and 28 points in 32 games. He’ll remain with Sarnia.

Edited by TomatoPieFan
  • Upvote 1

Great all around  team win but the video highlight clip doesn't show how badly the Comets got pushed around the whole game.  Their lack of physicality was glaring.  The Dahlen hit required an immediate response and not one Comet jumped the punk that boarded him. Dahlen was definitely in bad shape leaving the ice. Gaunce took the dumbest offensive zone hooking penalty on the PK that caused the 5 on 3.  Devils scored just as the 4th Comet came out of the box.  Saucerman had one blistering slap shot from the top of the point that was just wide of the net otherwise his limited ice time was non eventful.

Plane ride to Charlotte next for 2 games.

Edited by TomatoPieFan
  • Like 1

The lack of response to the Dahlen hit is typical of the ultra soft comets. It was in fact the same Devil that put Sautner out last week. The team is gutless.....

Some of the vets playing much better and has put the team on a win streak. Also Gaunce was moved into the #2 center spot and has settled down all the lines. 

Really perplexed that Gadjovich has not dresses, but with Dahlen out should get some time. 

Team needs to find some players with some size, grit and a set of balls, this team is gutless and  the only pushback comes from big Mac and that should not be his roll.

Edited by Connor comet

24 minutes ago, Connor comet said:

The lack of response to the Dahlen hit is typical of the ultra sort comets. It was in fact the same Devil that put Sautner out last week. The team is gutless.....

Some of the vets playing much better and has put the team on a win streak. Also Gaunce was moved into the #2 center spot and has settled down all the lines. 

Really perplexed that Gadjovich has not dresses, but with Dahlen out should get some time. 

Team needs to find some players with some size, grit and a set of balls, this team is gutless and  the only pushback comes from big Mac and that should not be his roll.

Actually, you mean, "shouldn't be his role". Your spelling might imply a dinner roll he enjoys as post game treat.

Normally I wouldn't point out such a typical misspell. But you've defined this team(you supposedly cheer for) with a pretty nasty adjective. Then IF they'd brought in a host of goons to please your thirst for blood, you'd be complaining about the lack of offense, as the 3-2 losses pile up.

Welcome to the world of two rulebooks(to all Comet fans) that our franchise has become so well acquainted with. It's how these leagues ROLL.

Roger Neilson hit the nail on the head, back in '82...

• Like 2
  • Wat 1

8 hours ago, TomatoPieFan said:

The Dahlen hit required an immediate response and not one Comet jumped the punk that boarded him. Dahlen was definitely in bad shape leaving the ice.

That is the Vancouver Canuck organization way. Watch our younger skilled players get hit, run, slashed etc and have 0 response. The plan is to hope we get a PP out of it and that is how we get back at the opposing team...