The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The problem with our outlook on our team

Bertuzzi44ever

2 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

When none of the draft picks can make the NHL quantity will improve overall ranking. Take OJ, Petterson, Lind and Demko out of being prospects and on the team, like many other teams have done with their draft picks and out of the prospect pool and then compare the pools. By not playing draft picks the Canucks have improved the pool by NOT playing any in the NHL, it gives fans/media/whoever something positive to talk about and a sales item to market, the hope of salvation from the pool.

Van - U21 Roster Players: Brock Boeser, Jake Virtanen

TO - U21 Roster players: Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner, William Nylander, Travis Dermott, Kasperi Kapanen

It looks like TO is doing a better job drafting is so many U21's can make the team and it hurts their prospect pool ranking.

They also started their rebuild years and years before us. The comparison between Toronto and Vancouver is fundamentally flawed. They threw their team to the wolf's and had fans wearing bags on their heads and throwing jerseys on the ice. It's amazing what winning a draft lottery can do for the franchise, isn't it?

3 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

When none of the draft picks can make the NHL quantity will improve overall ranking. Take OJ, Petterson, Lind and Demko out of being prospects and on the team, like many other teams have done with their draft picks and out of the prospect pool and then compare the pools. By not playing draft picks the Canucks have improved the pool by NOT playing any in the NHL, it gives fans/media/whoever something positive to talk about and a sales item to market, the hope of salvation from the pool.

Van - U21 Roster Players: Brock Boeser, Jake Virtanen

TO - U21 Roster players: Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner, William Nylander, Travis Dermott, Kasperi Kapanen

It looks like TO is doing a better job drafting is so many U21's can make the team and it hurts their prospect pool ranking.

Matthews and Marner are players.  I don’t care at all for the softies (Nylander and Kapanen). Dermont is an 

AHL D man, at best.  

The Leafs are crap.  

1 minute ago, shayster007 said:

They also started their rebuild years and years before us. The comparison between Toronto and Vancouver is fundamentally flawed. They threw their team to the wolf's and had fans wearing bags on their heads and throwing jerseys on the ice. It's amazing what winning a draft lottery can do for the franchise, isn't it?

How many years before Matthews does to Leafs, what Tavares just did to the Isles?  

16 minutes ago, oncewasacanucksfan said:

So do I most fans here have sipped the green and blue koolaid and some think we are gunna be playoff bound or even contenders in 4 or less years ROFL sorry don't work like that at all guys..... This new core  will be at least 6 years from now until we even making a good run in the first round we will have to build respect form star players from around the NHL to actually get  decent free agents that can push us past the first round and that will take many many YEARS!!!! Brock and Bo will be pushing 29 30 before we legit contenders in our conference and could be the trade we use to push us over the top with the next core after them if we don't pull a sedin type move in the future

I mostly agree but I don't think it will be that long because this management group won't last, like many of the veterans signed here this is a retirement gig. At the rate they are going the next GM will have to trade numerous prospects or lose them for nothing just due to the numbers game, 50 contracts. Already some prospects are being lost for nothing.

IMO, by the end of the CBA negotiations, with a new front office, with so many untested young prospects available for trading and the decline of LA and Anaheim for a year or two, will make it a 3 team race for the last playoff spot in the division and a 5 team race for one of two wild card spots. That said, this team will have it's hands full with learning how to win in the playoffs and coping with a huge increase in hitting and whistles in the pockets, the lack of "game management" by the refs.

1 minute ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I mostly agree but I don't think it will be that long because this management group won't last, like many of the veterans signed here this is a retirement gig. At the rate they are going he next GM will have to trade numerous prospects or lose them for nothing just due to the numbers game, 50 contracts. Already some prospects are being lost for nothing.

IMO, by the end of the CBA negotiations, with a new front office, with so many untested young prospects available for trading and the decline of LA and Anaheim for a year or two, will make it a 3 team race for the last playoff spot in the division and a 5 team race for one of two wild card spots. That said this team will have it's hands full with learning how to win in the playoffs and coping with a huge increase in hitting and whistles in the pockets, the lack of "game management" by the refs.

We have the two best players out of the last two drafts: Pettersson and Hughes.  We are going to be constant Cup contenders for the 2020’s and win at least three.  

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How many years before Matthews does to Leafs, what Tavares just did to the Isles?  

Eight + years if at all, but the lure of taxes could make that easier to understand, that and the magnifying glass.

8 minutes ago, oncewasacanucksfan said:

How long until Bo?

Next contract Bo is a ufa so this management group would be likely to offer him the max term for the max amount, who knows, he is presently signed for another 5 years but if things get really bad maybe he does the Eichel/O'Rielly thing and is traded, I think Boeser is more the guy to jump sooner though, he did a lot of stuff to be able to play where he did in college and seems to be fairly quiet and private person so the magnifying glass here might push things along, he really likes Minny.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We just resigned Bo.

Matthews is not going to take less than McDavid money.  Big ego problems coming to Toronto.  :lol:

No big deal really, the cap gets adjusted after the CBA, keeps going up by 5 mil a year due to increased revenues from Canadian teams playing deeper into the playoffs.

Ego issues? Why would there be? Taveras knows Mathews will be top dog in a couple of years and Mathews playing will improve Taveras's production and longevity, possibly even result in a few cup runs or the grail.

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We have the two best players out of the last two drafts: Pettersson and Hughes.  We are going to be constant Cup contenders for the 2020’s and win at least three.  

I think Pettersson can be the real deal once he adds 30lbs or more, but Hughes is full grown and really has to get more exposure before giving him the same kudo's OJ got for two years or more. IMO it will be Tryamkin that ends up being the go to guy but even we have to see him on the ice and in a game after a few years away, he had the mojo before and is much more prepared this time around, but he still has to show up again in the NHL.

If you guys in Van would stop smoking and stinking up the streets with the smell of dope, maybe Tree will come back. 

(Apparently, his family did not enjoy that at all)

The D could really use him as part of a new Dcore. 

OJ Tree, Woo Hugh

Looking good... 

3 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Eight + years if at all, but the lure of taxes could make that easier to understand, that and the magnifying glass.

Next contract Bo is a ufa so this management group would be likely to offer him the max term for the max amount, who knows, he is presently signed for another 5 years but if things get really bad maybe he does the Eichel/O'Rielly thing and is traded, I think Boeser is more the guy to jump sooner though, he did a lot of stuff to be able to play where he did in college and seems to be fairly quiet and private person so the magnifying glass here might push things along, he really likes Minny.

No big deal really, the cap gets adjusted after the CBA, keeps going up by 5 mil a year due to increased revenues from Canadian teams playing deeper into the playoffs.

Ego issues? Why would there be? Taveras knows Mathews will be top dog in a couple of years and Mathews playing will improve Taveras's production and longevity, possibly even result in a few cup runs or the grail.

I think Pettersson can be the real deal once he adds 30lbs or more, but Hughes is full grown and really has to get more exposure before giving him the same kudo's OJ got for two years or more. IMO it will be Tryamkin that ends up being the go to guy but even we have to see him on the ice and in a game after a few years away, he had the mojo before and is much more prepared this time around, but he still has to show up again in the NHL.

Man I hope he does come back he is a pick I really liked of benning's I heard he had troubles with adapting to Vancouver city's " Culture" and having a child at that time probably made it an easy choice to go home pretty conservative guy and seemed pretty small town so perhaps if hew comes back get him outa Van so he don't get driven batty by its inhabitants

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

If you guys in Van would stop smoking and stinking up the streets with the smell of dope, maybe Tree will come back. 

OJ Tree, Woo Hugh

Looking good... 

was totally it man and just the way that City is was completely opposite of what he grew up in so complete culture shock

33 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

So scratch Mathews and add Tckachuk, Laine, Dubois or Poolparty, still better especially with Taveras signing.

TO has been rebuilding for 2 decades stopping each time just short of completion, Shanahan "blew it up", top to bottom and made bold trades, moved contracts before they expired and they got nothing, except this year with JVR but they did need the cap space.

Is the lack of a paper bag over the head worse than no head there at all? By the time fans stop attending the they have lost interest and can't be bothered to spend the money.

Hey does anyone know what happened at the team's "town hall meeting"?  

3 minutes ago, oncewasacanucksfan said:

Man I hope he does come back he is a pick I really liked of benning's I heard he had troubles with adapting to Vancouver city's " Culture" and having a child at that time probably made it an easy choice to go home pretty conservative guy and seemed pretty small town so perhaps if hew comes back get him outa Van so he don't get driven batty by its inhabitants

Actually the story is the Vancouver scout had to really sell management on him, lack of off ice management didn't help the situation, supposedly the Canucks had no idea he was having issues where he lived, nobody was keeping in touch.

Yes, a very small town guy,

23 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

OJ Tree, Woo Hugh

Looking good... 

Yeah, well, I prefer my city not to not smell like it's sweating vodka, so there's that... B)

But that's been overblown. I don't think that was a major thing for them just a comment. We've all smelled it around town on occasion, but it's not that crazy that it's consistent and a real nuisance. Then again who knows, maybe he had a neighbour that smoked so he thought that was just everyone?

1 minute ago, elvis15 said:

Yeah, well, I prefer my uncles (and aunts!) to not smell like they're sweating vodka, so there's that... B)

But that's been overblown. I don't think that was a major thing for them just a comment. We've all smelled it around town on occasion, but it's not that crazy that it's consistent and a real nuisance. Then again who knows, maybe he had a neighbour that smoked so he thought that was just everyone?

Last time I walked down Robson to the water with my lovely teen daughter, the smell of pot was thick enough to get high on.

Where was Tree actually residing? Is the smell of pot strong there? 

I can’t stand the smell, myself, but it wouldn’t keep me from playing in the NHL. 

24 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

OJ Tree, Woo Hugh

Looking good... 

Opening comments aside... I’m not willing to anoint him the saviour if he does but he’s always indicated that he wants to try again one day.  

and man... that is a nice, balanced defence.

Archived