The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

V as logo centrepiece (V = Victory)

spinarama

1 hour ago, mayor MCcheese said:

Ugliest jersey in the history of pro sports.

Eye of the beholder my friend.

All it needs is the blue and green replacing the gawd- awful orange and yellow.

And ditch the V on the arms and shorts. Too much of a good thing ;)

13 hours ago, IBatch said:

Its propaganda because it's on Canucks TV and it creates a narrative that takes away from the simple fact that this umbrella company that owned it all, was called Orca Entertainment, if you can't see that's in really poor taste, that's ok, it all came together in one neat tidy promotional campaign at the same time.   Who owned Orca Entertaiment? And who played their?  Sure the artist was told to make some logos, in fact if you remember there was even a campaign to the public to make new logos and submit them (does the video talk about that?), who actually got to chose the one finally selected?  You know the one who put his own companies stamp on it.  You can take some archival footage and put the best hockey figures (Quin and Linden), wrap it in a bow and make sure it's easily assessable, but into doesn't change history, or the facts, it just fits the narrative of soaping of some sludge that is part of our past.  

I don't mind the orca logo, its nice, and I know it's embedded in our culture and what's the point of another change at this point.  I thought the unis were bad and still do, until the colour change from black and purple and red to blue and green.  

If the video is enough for you to not think this logo wasn't branded by a corporation, that's fine.  It's not for me.   Also if your boss was watching you and asked you to pick logos to brand them and they had a nice apple admist other fruits and your company was called apple, which one would you pick?

Little Ceasers didn't put Pizza Slice on their sweater, and Aquaman hasn't put a condo with a Vancouver skyline on ours, and I really don't see the difference.  It was just packaged nicely and again lights razzle dazzle we just snookered our fan base.  I do understand you love the logo and that's fine.  I didn't fall for it then and I don't now.   All they had to do was name the company something else and I'd have got behind it.

Baggins I usually always can get behind your posts, I guess this is one thing that has bugged me about the previous owners that I'm not ready to let go.

I just don't buy it. Ultimately, even if you're right (and I don't think you are), it's a great logo to represent Vancouver and the Canucks.

10 hours ago, granpappy said:

its not that difficult really. the concept of the word canuck is for a hockey team that plays hockey (stick) on ice (rink). i'm not sure if there is any similar correlation that would apply to a fish 

Um, a Canuck is a Canadian and it's origin has nothing to do with hockey. You're clutching at straws there. The only difference netween the Rink logo and the Orca is one represents the sport played while the other where the team plays. Both form a C for Canucks and neither image represents the team name other than the shape forming a C. Either both are valid or neither is valid.

22 hours ago, tas said:

the thing you can't seem to ram into your brain is that Orca Bay wasn't a company owned by McCaw that bought the Canucks. Orca Bay was a company created by McCaw and the Griffiths family to manage the Canucks, Grizzlies, and GM Place. Orca Bay did no other business. in fact, Orca Bay still exists, but Aquilini changed the name to Canucks Sports and Entertainment. comparing it to Little Caesars (a completely separate venture that shares common ownership with the Red Wings) is groundless and asinine, because the two situations aren't remotely similar. 

you're demonstrating very clearly that you don't understand the situation in the slightest. 

Well Tiger-Hearted explained it best, scroll up, and then call him asinine too.

10 hours ago, Baggins said:

I just don't buy it. Ultimately, even if you're right (and I don't think you are), it's a great logo to represent Vancouver and the Canucks.

It's what we have and it's here to stay and I'm glad because we don't need another identity crisis.  The Sedins helped make it the winniest uniform so far too which counts for something.  Look forward to the third retro sweater for nostalgic reasons too.

11 hours ago, Baggins said:

Um, a Canuck is a Canadian and it's origin has nothing to do with hockey. You're clutching at straws there. The only difference netween the Rink logo and the Orca is one represents the sport played while the other where the team plays. Both form a C for Canucks and neither image represents the team name other than the shape forming a C. Either both are valid or neither is valid.

um, in the context i am referring to, our nhl team, a canuck is in reference to one who laces up his skates, takes up his stick and plays a game i love. he does it all with a stick on a sheet of ice. the stick in rink logo makes sense in this regard. it is also a logo that has been associated with our club for all of their history regardless of the implementation of halloween garb and spaghetti sliding off the plate logos. if you really want to go historical, your beloved fish logo smacks of cheesy cultural appropriation

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

It's what we have and it's here to stay and I'm glad because we don't need another identity crisis.  The Sedins helped make it the winniest uniform so far too which counts for something.  Look forward to the third retro sweater for nostalgic reasons too.

It makes no sense to keep an irrelevant logo for the sake of continuity. All it does is continue the identity crisis. When the Flying V gets almost twice as many votes as the original orca, that says a lot. Going back to the original Stick In Rink uniform with a few updates makes the most sense and furthermore, would end our identity crisis. The Sedins plus all the players from that '11 team got to wear that uniform for the 40th anniversary that season. Original captain Orland Kurtenback handed Henrik the captaincy with both men wearing the classic and true Canucks sweater. I read that the Canucks will not have a third jersey this coming season. With the classic SIR not part of the throwback options, I sense a permanent switch back to our beginnings in 2019-20 along a new continued tradition of handing over the captaincy, only this time Henrik handing the captaincy over to BoHo.

When the Canucks first brought back the SIR uniform in the '72-'78 edition, back in 2003, players like Naslund, Bertuzzi, Linden and Jovanovski got to wear the SIR. Linden scored the series winning goal in Game 7 of the Dallas series in '07. That image of him wearing the SIR with his arms in the air after scoring is an iconic photo.

The Stick In Rink C is our tradition and our true identity. Just put the skating Johnny Canuck on the shoulders and its perfect.

3 hours ago, granpappy said:

um, in the context i am referring to, our nhl team, a canuck is in reference to one who laces up his skates, takes up his stick and plays a game i love. he does it all with a stick on a sheet of ice. the stick in rink logo makes sense in this regard. it is also a logo that has been associated with our club for all of their history regardless of the implementation of halloween garb and spaghetti sliding off the plate logos. if you really want to go historical, your beloved fish logo smacks of cheesy cultural appropriation

Has nothing to do with name Canuck. The stick in rink is simply a reference to the sport and has nothing at all to do the the name. Both form a C - neither means Canuck. There's the bottom line.

2 hours ago, spinarama said:

image.png

Not bad, like using the V and having a Canuck coming out for battle.  Too little too late though, maybe the next owners will also feel the need to re-brand the team and use honour Quin's first choice in the process.

8 hours ago, Baggins said:

Has nothing to do with name Canuck. The stick in rink is simply a reference to the sport and has nothing at all to do the the name. Both form a C - neither means Canuck. There's the bottom line.

johnny canuck: carries a stick, plays on ice. fish: swims in ocean, can't form a c although by all accounts does make haunting vowel sounds that reverberate through the ocean depths

19 minutes ago, granpappy said:

true . . . i hate to disparage the orca but that's how much i hate it as a logo for our team

Stipec, I really feel, was put on the spot on TSN 1040. No matter what he said, I have a hunch that the orca will be gone by the 50th. I believe that the Stick In Rink will be the primary and Johnny Canuck will be the new alternate. There is more than enough consistency between the two logos than the lack of any consistency between the SIR and the orca. It doesn't make sense to have two Canucks hockey themed logos and third-rate Haida-styled orca.

Archived