The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A scientist who predicted a grim 'Hothouse Earth' says the world’s billionaires need to give up their money to save us

CBH1926

On 10/20/2018 at 2:20 PM, SabreFan1 said:

I have never had anything against that family.  My point is that unlike the others mentioned they historically keep their money in their family.

The Rothschild family actually devotes a huge amount of their time and money towards charity. Many members of the family work full time in charity work. 

2 hours ago, taxi said:

The Rothschild family actually devotes a huge amount of their time and money towards charity. Many members of the family work full time in charity work. 

They became a decent family over the years, but it wasn't long ago that they were marrying inside the family so that they could keep their wealth centralized within the family especially when it came time for inheritance tax.  The most wealthy Rothschild these days is "only" worth just under 2 billion, but that's mainly because as the family grew the money spread once the inheritance laws changed so marrying within their own family no longer benefited them.

30 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

They became a decent family over the years, but it wasn't long ago that they were marrying inside the family so that they could keep their wealth centralized within the family especially when it came time for inheritance tax.  The most wealthy Rothschild these days is "only" worth just under 2 billion, but that's mainly because as the family grew the money spread once the inheritance laws changed so marrying within their own family no longer benefited them.

It was actually typical of rich families to marry within eachother to preserve wealth. The practice of cousin marriages didn't become distasteful in Western society until a about 100 years ago (yes I know very creepy), and the Rothschilds didn't do it more than any other rich family. 

What the Rothschilds did successfully was use the family to set up "branches" in different countries, which at one point did indeed make them the richest family in the world. Since then, like I said, the fortune has now dwindled as it has become split among many people. The way banks work is also different. Modern banks are publicly held corporations, owned primarily by an aggregate of stock holders. 

2 hours ago, taxi said:

It was actually typical of rich families to marry within eachother to preserve wealth. The practice of cousin marriages didn't become distasteful in Western society until a about 100 years ago (yes I know very creepy), and the Rothschilds didn't do it more than any other rich family. 

What the Rothschilds did successfully was use the family to set up "branches" in different countries, which at one point did indeed make them the richest family in the world. Since then, like I said, the fortune has now dwindled as it has become split among many people. The way banks work is also different. Modern banks are publicly held corporations, owned primarily by an aggregate of stock holders. 

I'll take your word on incestuous Europeans over history.  I always thought that the Rothschild's took it to a whole other level, but I'm not as well read when it comes to them specifically as I am with old European royalty.

I do know that they are still heavily into banking especially the defacto heads.  Though I do get a kick out of the conspiracy theorists who think they are still insanely wealthy.  They are some of the most conservative investors and bankers on the planet.  They're more of a keep what you have and stay ahead of inflation type of rich rather than taking the needed risks to accumulate as much as possible.

1 hour ago, mpt said:

Why bother when its not worth my time because you know it’ll never change his mind.

Why bother commenting in the first place? If you feel strongly about it, share the information, as someone (maybe not the poster you're responding to) might get something from it.

When people stop sharing information, then people stop learning.

12 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Why bother commenting in the first place? If you feel strongly about it, share the information, as someone (maybe not the poster you're responding to) might get something from it.

When people stop sharing information, then people stop learning.

There are plenty of 'read more - post less' users of this forum, such as myself, that enjoy the information and alternative viewpoints shared by others

Archived