The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Without Sedins, we are a breath of fresh air to watch (on the ice)

dougieL

On 10/20/2018 at 10:05 PM, dougieL said:

Watching our games this year without the Sedins, win or lose, has been so much easier on the eyes. We now have four fast lines that can forecheck, backcheck, defend, play aggressively with speed, and don't try to pass the puck into the net. We can roll four fast lines, which surely does a better job of wearing down the other team. It's no wonder we are having better third periods than last year. Just earlier tonight, Kelly Hrudey was commenting on how much harder we are working this year. Paterson was saying that other teams are commenting on our speed. Imagine taking any of our lines right now and replacing two players with two players that don't skate, forecheck, backcheck, or hit (toward that end, I wouldn't mind seeing Eriksson being replaced by a younger, faster player). And then imagine giving this line PP1 time, the majority of offensive zone faceoffs, and then watching them rack up the minuses. You would think it was absurd, but that is exactly what we did these past few seasons. Other players now are rising to meet the opportunities that were handed to the Sedins last year. I think the emergence of Goldobin has been a direct consequence of that. I get that the team felt an obligation to treat Daniel and Henrik with more respect, but the game had passed them by long ago, and the on-ice product suffered as a result.

I'm not saying we will finish with a better record than last year, but we are so much more dynamic and fun to watch now. It really is a new era, and I couldn't be happier. Many people were saying that we would be in trouble having lost "100 points", but these 100 points came as a result of PP1 time and the most offensive zone starts in the NHL, and also came with a combined -40. I used to watch our games and wish we could play as fast as our opponents did. We finally have a fast team now. Every player (more or less) is held to the same standard, and are held accountable by each other and the coaching staff. We are playing a full 60 minutes every game (remember these past few seasons, a common line used after losses was "we need to play the entire 60 minutes"?). We are better off, and are a breath of fresh air to watch.

A very slow and predictable line gone, a thing of the past. 

On 21/10/2018 at 7:46 AM, N7Nucks said:

Can we enjoy this team without disrespecting the Sedins barely into the first season after their retirement? Damn. I know they weren't super fast and end to end guys, but I was thoroughly excited watching them play any time they were on. It's a different brand of exciting with this team, but that doesn't make what the Sedins did "stale" or whatever word you wanna use. For shame.

The only arguement about the sedins was the lack of players to protect them so they could do their magic without worrying about being a target on a team with next to zero push back for the majority of their time here... what a waste of talent! Shall we continue this lameness with Elias and Brock?  It's looking like the same old road...

33 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

The only arguement about the sedins was the lack of players to protect them so they could do their magic without worrying about being a target on a team with next to zero push back for the majority of their time here... what a waste of talent! Shall we continue this lameness with Elias and Brock?  It's looking like the same old road...

This is an element the WHOLE TEAM has to buy into, not just the tough guys. It drives me crazy when the oppositions stars are allowed to skate around unimpeded and allowed to show their talents. We also allow the "Weasels" of the NHL world to come out of the woodwork. They need to be afraid to go into the corners or on the boards to retrieve the puck! ALL THE TIME! Finish your checks boys!

On 28/10/2018 at 6:12 AM, yes we can nucks said:

Gee, the breath of fresh air has gone stale. Outscored 9-1 in the last two games, the goals have dried up.  Bring back the head spinning cycling. Bring back the pin point passing. The game needs to slow down. Bring back the twins!  :P

Ummm well at this very minute we're sitting #2 overall, so things aren't as bad you think and i'm looking forward to Dem and Dpt fighting for crease duty in the next few years and hughes and D upgrades since we have enough forwards and it will get interesting to watch and you can have the cycle game but a tenaciously fire checking team that has the firepower spread out to capitalize on turn overs and with that comes the missing offence will come from but we have to gel together as a team first but this is fun to watch hockey for a change! Yeah we have played 2 more games than most of the other teams in the top 10 currently but number 2 overall? F yes!!! (Cautiously)  yeah it might blow up but we're weathering the storm ok right now with the injuries already which has never been the case in the history of the franchise when we lost this many guys in the span of a month...

Not too shabby at #2 though..

14 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Ummm well at this very minute we're sitting #2 overall, so things aren't as bad you think and i'm looking forward to Dem and Dpt fighting for crease duty in the next few years and hughes and D upgrades since we have enough forwards and it will get interesting to watch and you can have the cycle game but a tenaciously fire checking team that has the firepower spread out to capitalize on turn overs and with that comes the missing offence will come from but we have to gel together as a team first but this is fun to watch hockey for a change! Yeah we have played 2 more games than most of the other teams in the top 10 currently but number 2 overall? F yes!!! (Cautiously)  yeah it might blow up but we're weathering the storm ok right now with the injuries already which has never been the case in the history of the franchise when we lost this many guys in the span of a month...

Not too shabby at #2 though..

Umm.. I guess your sarcasm radar wasn't working.  Yeah, I really think the game needs to slow down.. and all the rest of it.

Archived