The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Josh Leivo | #17 | LW/RW

-SN-

19 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah I'm not sure about this one. Hawryluk might be a better physical player, but it's unlikely he'll be as offensively strong as Leivo unless he can continue what we saw in Ottawa.

Leivo to my way of thinking was a more consistent version of Virtanen. He is older but as JB keeps telling us, you need vets. I know one thing between Sutter, Beigle and Virtanen I'd take Leivo. He plays a responsible game and plays hard, he's also under paid which helps immensely. Bargain buy for Calgary Canucks

15 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Leivo to my way of thinking was a more consistent version of Virtanen. He is older but as JB keeps telling us, you need vets. I know one thing between Sutter, Beigle and Virtanen I'd take Leivo. He plays a responsible game and plays hard, he's also under paid which helps immensely. Bargain buy for Calgary Canucks

I don’t know how Beagle and Sutter are comparable to Leivo. You take those two guys off the team and goodbye penalty kill.

As for Leivo over Virtanen, maybe if you’re looking for a bargain. We had enough space to fit Virtanen though who is both better and younger.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

If JB is not able to move anyone out then Hawryluk, Loui and Sven will be plying their trade in Utica. That brings the forward group down to 13 and if the 8 D consists of: Edler, Hughes, Schmidt, Myers, Benn, Juolevi, Rafferty and any one of: Chatfield, Sautner or Rathbone; the canucks will be under the cap.

I am happy with the d-core as constituted. I would like to see 2 Utica d-men with the Canucks on a ongoing basis until one of them asserts his top 6 claim. Likely will be Joulevi but there is enough talent to surprise us. Somewhat the same up front. Ferland is the big question but I doubt he overcomes the concussion problem. Is Bailey under contract? After a strong playoff I have to think Mott has a crack at the 3rd line with some scoring upside. Big Mac sticks. Hawryluk is unknown to me. With a little more muscle I can even see Sven getting back in. Interesting times. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I am happy with the d-core as constituted. I would like to see 2 Utica d-men with the Canucks on a ongoing basis until one of them asserts his top 6 claim. Likely will be Joulevi but there is enough talent to surprise us. Somewhat the same up front. Ferland is the big question but I doubt he overcomes the concussion problem. Is Bailey under contract? After a strong playoff I have to think Mott has a crack at the 3rd line with some scoring upside. Big Mac sticks. Hawryluk is unknown to me. With a little more muscle I can even see Sven getting back in. Interesting times. 

I'm reasonably confident that with the number of teams facing cap issues that it is going to be very difficult for JB to move anyone out. There are a half dozen or so teams that have a lot of cap room that are waiting on the sidelines at the moment. They will be looking to snap up (at bargain basement discounts) quality players that teams are forced to move in order to be cap compliant or UFA's that have had to take a cut in pay in order to find a suitor. This was exactly how the Canucks got Nate Schmidt for so little cost. I do believe this is going to be a buyers market right up to roster freeze for those that have the room.

I think this will force teams to move a lot of players to their farm teams, that in normal circumstances would be playing in the NHL. Will also likely see a lot of younger players on cheap contracts being elevated to play in the NHL.