StealthNuck

Josh Leivo | #17 | LW/RW

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Mac wil be on the roster already.

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Toffoli

Roussel/Sutter, Gaudette, Leivo/Mac

Motte, Beagle, MacEwan/Leivo

As it's stands right now IMO. Though personally, I think that third line sees even more of a revamp. Hopefully something like the Gaudette + deal I noted elsewhere for Tierney or similar. If we're going to have a higher cap on that line, it should be at C IMO and an improvement over Gaudette.

And I'm thinking we try to move both Roussel and Sutter (only one may be possible which is why I'm showing them both as an option there). But if we do, we fill that spot with a kid, a bargain UFA being squeezed or an unqualified RFA Jim digs.

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Toffoli

_____, 'Tierney', Leivo/Mac

Motte, Beagle, MacEwan/Leivo

meh, Leivo no bueno. Lets go get a cheapie veteran C like Richardson instead.

I like the Tierny idea tho, just not sure what Ottawa would want. 

18 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

meh, Leivo no bueno. Lets go get a cheapie veteran C like Richardson instead.

I like the Tierny idea tho, just not sure what Ottawa would want. 

Leivo was one of our best board battle guys, with solid third line production, ability for spot duty on the 2nd line and with consistent play and will likely sign for about the same amount we could simply waive. Ie: even if we can replace him with something better, he costs no cap if waived.

I'd be open to signing Richardson (for cheap) as well. Richardson, Tierney, Leivo... Some nice centre redundancy there and that line would be zero fun to play against

Gaudette's younger and cheaper than Tierney... Just saying. Add Baer as a short term, middle 6 stop gap to balance the cap a bit and shelter their kids for a year... And who knows, maybe here even shows enough to warrant an extension?

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Leivo was one of our best board battle guys, with solid third line production, ability for spot duty on the 2nd line and with consistent play and will likely sign for about the same amount we could simply waive. Ie: even if we can replace him with something better, he costs no cap if waived.

I'd be open to signing Richardson (for cheap) as well. Richardson, Tierney, Leivo... Some nice centre redundancy there and that line would be zero fun to play against

Gaudette's younger and cheaper than Tierney... Just saying. Add Baer as a short term, middle 6 stop gap to balance the cap a bit and shelter their kids for a year... And who knows, maybe here even shows enough to warrant an extension?

thats true. I'd rather see a more physical player on the 3rd line who can win battles and provide a much needed bigger body, or barring that some veteran C depth. I'd wait and see what comes up this year in the non-QO RFA market, I can't see big line up for Leivo's services. 

Just now, Robert Long said:

thats true. I'd rather see a more physical player on the 3rd line who can win battles and provide a much needed bigger body, or barring that some veteran C depth. I'd wait and see what comes up this year in the non-QO RFA market, I can't see big line up for Leivo's services. 

Again, one of our best board battlers before he was hurt. Constantly came away with the puck.

At worst, he's a solid 13th if he has some trouble getting up to speed from his knee injury.

There's no reason we can't do both things. So long as medical staff clears it, I'd have zero issues re-signing Leivo for +/-$1m.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Again, one of our best board battlers before he was hurt. Constantly came away with the puck.

At worst, he's a solid 13th if he has some trouble getting up to speed from his knee injury.

There's no reason we can't do both things. So long as medical staff clears it, I'd have zero issues re-signing Leivo for +/-$1m.

Sure, so was Loui some nights when he felt like it. I think you're over rating him on one element, but thats why there's a discussion board. I think we can fill that spot with someone that meets more of our needs. It would be a disappointment if we can't improve our 3RW more than Leivo. 

5 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

Sure, so was Loui some nights when he felt like it. I think you're over rating him on one element, but thats why there's a discussion board. I think we can fill that spot with someone that meets more of our needs. It would be a disappointment if we can't improve our 3RW more than Leivo. 

In think you're selling Leivo short. Darn good third liner. Plus Podkolzin will be here a few months in, I'm fine with a short term, 1 year Leivo, stop gap until he arrives ;)

Edited by aGENT

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

In think you're selling Leivo short. Darn good third liner. Plus Podkolzin will be here a few months in, I'm fine with a short term, 1 year Leivo, stop gap until he arrives ;)

I believe we have reached an impasse :lol: 

once a Leaf.... 

2 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

I believe we have reached an impasse :lol: 

once a Leaf.... 

*Dirty, rotten, stink'n Leaf

:P

Seriously though, he may not be a 'sexy' player... something akin to a Higgins, but he's an entirely useful, depth player.

As long as the Canucks don't hand out a 3-yr, $3M contract to Leivo, I am all for them bringing him back.  He's a solid player to have as depth.  He shouldn't be relied on for the top-6 but he can fill in for spurts if needed.

5 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

As long as the Canucks don't hand out a 3-yr, $3M contract to Leivo, I am all for them bringing him back.  He's a solid player to have as depth.  He shouldn't be relied on for the top-6 but he can fill in for spurts if needed.

He doesn't have a lot of negotiating power, 1 yr, 1.75 million show me deal.

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

He doesn't have a lot of negotiating power, 1 yr, 1.75 million show me deal.

I think he's going to sign for closer to $1m given his injury and covid.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I think he's going to sign for closer to $1m given his injury and covid.

Considering the market conditions, you may be very right. There's not the money out there for free agents that there has been in past years. I think there is going to be some shock in the player free agent pools on the offers that they are getting.

I think we're going to see a lot of guys signing short term deals, hoping that things will turn around in a couple of years.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Leivo was a great value. He is very average all-around, and to get guys like that for under 2 million saves a tonne of space to sign your top players. Id rather have Leivo over Roussel, Sutter, Eriksson, Baertschi, Beagle and he makes just a fraction as much. 

• Like 2
  • Hydration 1

has anyone ever heard why Leivo didn't make it back tothe team?

he should have been almost ready at the pause

I have never heard a peep

47 minutes ago, lmm said:

has anyone ever heard why Leivo didn't make it back tothe team?

he should have been almost ready at the pause

I have never heard a peep

He apparently still has not completely healed from his injury. They were hoping but I think he had a set back.

I had no idea how serious a knee injury is until now. The return to action time frame varies from 3 months to like 8 or more. Don’t have direct info, but from what I remember that was the gist of it. Sucks, but it seems management is keen to bring him back.

Probably on another 1 year show me deal to see how his surgery holds up

2 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

He apparently still has not completely healed from his injury. They were hoping but I think he had a set back.

I had no idea how serious a knee injury is until now. The return to action time frame varies from 3 months to like 8 or more. Don’t have direct info, but from what I remember that was the gist of it. Sucks, but it seems management is keen to bring him back.

Probably on another 1 year show me deal to see how his surgery holds up

so what was with the original 2-3 month time line?

any word on if he is ready now?

it sucks but Leivo seems like this years Ferland

43 minutes ago, lmm said:

so what was with the original 2-3 month time line?

any word on if he is ready now?

it sucks but Leivo seems like this years Ferland

Apparently if it healed well, but where his break occurred takes more time to heal. I really hope I’m not messing up the details lol. But ya it was disappointing. And remember hearing some guys don’t come back the same from an injury like that if it’s really bad. Affects mobility in the joint.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Apparently if it healed well, but where his break occurred takes more time to heal. I really hope I’m not messing up the details lol. But ya it was disappointing. And remember hearing some guys don’t come back the same from an injury like that if it’s really bad. Affects mobility in the joint.

well that sucks, for him more than us.

any recent word?

I guess that is why he was so mad going off the ice, maybe he knew 

Edited by lmm

19 minutes ago, lmm said:

well that sucks, for him more than us.

any recent word?

I guess that is why he was so mad going off the ice, maybe he knew 

Nothing recent, just the stuff I heard while we were setting our bubble rosters. Pretty sure they think he will be good to go for the new season if it starts. Get training camp in and see if his mobility checks out on his knee.

• Huggy Bear 1