The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Josh Leivo | #17 | LW/RW

-SN-

5 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

As long as the Canucks don't hand out a 3-yr, $3M contract to Leivo, I am all for them bringing him back.  He's a solid player to have as depth.  He shouldn't be relied on for the top-6 but he can fill in for spurts if needed.

He doesn't have a lot of negotiating power, 1 yr, 1.75 million show me deal.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I think he's going to sign for closer to $1m given his injury and covid.

Considering the market conditions, you may be very right. There's not the money out there for free agents that there has been in past years. I think there is going to be some shock in the player free agent pools on the offers that they are getting.

I think we're going to see a lot of guys signing short term deals, hoping that things will turn around in a couple of years.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Leivo was a great value. He is very average all-around, and to get guys like that for under 2 million saves a tonne of space to sign your top players. Id rather have Leivo over Roussel, Sutter, Eriksson, Baertschi, Beagle and he makes just a fraction as much. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, lmm said:

has anyone ever heard why Leivo didn't make it back tothe team?

he should have been almost ready at the pause

I have never heard a peep

He apparently still has not completely healed from his injury. They were hoping but I think he had a set back.

I had no idea how serious a knee injury is until now. The return to action time frame varies from 3 months to like 8 or more. Don’t have direct info, but from what I remember that was the gist of it. Sucks, but it seems management is keen to bring him back.

Probably on another 1 year show me deal to see how his surgery holds up

2 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

He apparently still has not completely healed from his injury. They were hoping but I think he had a set back.

I had no idea how serious a knee injury is until now. The return to action time frame varies from 3 months to like 8 or more. Don’t have direct info, but from what I remember that was the gist of it. Sucks, but it seems management is keen to bring him back.

Probably on another 1 year show me deal to see how his surgery holds up

so what was with the original 2-3 month time line?

any word on if he is ready now?

it sucks but Leivo seems like this years Ferland

43 minutes ago, lmm said:

so what was with the original 2-3 month time line?

any word on if he is ready now?

it sucks but Leivo seems like this years Ferland

Apparently if it healed well, but where his break occurred takes more time to heal. I really hope I’m not messing up the details lol. But ya it was disappointing. And remember hearing some guys don’t come back the same from an injury like that if it’s really bad. Affects mobility in the joint.

28 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Apparently if it healed well, but where his break occurred takes more time to heal. I really hope I’m not messing up the details lol. But ya it was disappointing. And remember hearing some guys don’t come back the same from an injury like that if it’s really bad. Affects mobility in the joint.

well that sucks, for him more than us.

any recent word?

I guess that is why he was so mad going off the ice, maybe he knew 

Edited by lmm

19 minutes ago, lmm said:

well that sucks, for him more than us.

any recent word?

I guess that is why he was so mad going off the ice, maybe he knew 

Nothing recent, just the stuff I heard while we were setting our bubble rosters. Pretty sure they think he will be good to go for the new season if it starts. Get training camp in and see if his mobility checks out on his knee.

• Huggy Bear 1

7 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Considering the market conditions, you may be very right. There's not the money out there for free agents that there has been in past years. I think there is going to be some shock in the player free agent pools on the offers that they are getting.

I think we're going to see a lot of guys signing short term deals, hoping that things will turn around in a couple of years.

100% agree with this. I expect a massive pool of free agents to start. I don't think players have adjusted their salary expectations and are going to be stunned at the offers they get and will be forced to accept or go elsewhere. Players might want raises, but the large majority of NHL teams can't afford that right now, so players are going to have to cave eventually.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

54 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

100% agree with this. I expect a massive pool of free agents to start. I don't think players have adjusted their salary expectations and are going to be stunned at the offers they get and will be forced to accept or go elsewhere. Players might want raises, but the large majority of NHL teams can't afford that right now, so players are going to have to cave eventually.

I'm laughing at some of the posts I'm seeing on CDC for players. And I was flipping through stations while driving earlier and someone suggested signing Grabner at $2.5m!:lol:

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, kloubek said:

Word is on Twitter Leivo is signing in Calgary. I was really hoping to see him back. Wonder if JB feels he won't be the same player?

I think we lack the cap space to make it work, unfortunately, even if he signs for something like $1.3M or something. That or JB wants to prioritize another depth d-man, which would also make sense.

I do think Leivo could be a very high-value signing for someone though.

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

875k has been reported. Yet another loss of a good player at a good price.

Yeah I'm not sure about this one. Hawryluk might be a better physical player, but it's unlikely he'll be as offensively strong as Leivo unless he can continue what we saw in Ottawa.

I thought JB might do a buy-out of one of our anchor contracts and then re-sign Leivo in case JV doesn’t finally live up to his potential. Leivo signed for a pittance, too bad. Can’t wait for the recapture penalty and anchor contracts to be finished. In two years, no LE, no Sutter, no Beagle, no Roussel, and no Lou recapture!

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah I'm not sure about this one. Hawryluk might be a better physical player, but it's unlikely he'll be as offensively strong as Leivo unless he can continue what we saw in Ottawa.

If JB is not able to move anyone out then Hawryluk, Loui and Sven will be plying their trade in Utica. That brings the forward group down to 13 and if the 8 D consists of: Edler, Hughes, Schmidt, Myers, Benn, Juolevi, Rafferty and any one of: Chatfield, Sautner or Rathbone; the canucks will be under the cap.