The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who sits when sutter and baertschi return?

Samgagner'sface

Wish Schaller was on the ice when Stech got hit...

Coudn't agree more iceman.

We're wasting what he brings by playing others who bring little.

He helped drag our Canucks up on the radar.

They'll not be taken so lightly from this point.

Green needs to follow Benning's plan.

• 2 weeks later...

After the Edmonton game I'm even less sure about who sits. The whole team has been playing well, it's almost as if the impending return of 2 quality players has put some urgency in the play of the entire group of forwards. Motte played his heart out, and Roussel and beagle did too. 

Its nice to see the depth start to show 

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:26 AM, Baer. said:

I think Gaudette gets sent to Utica, after that it's tough to say. Schaller hasn't been playing much lately already being a scratch. That leaves Granlund or Motte that I could see sitting some games respectively. Maybe Goldobin or Leivo sit for a game. And just rotate forwards like that. I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Canucks injuries this year...

I think baertschi starts on 3rd line and possibly work his way back up the roster. It seems Leivo has formed some chemistry with Petey and Brock.

Sutter takes the 3C spot as Beagle moves to 4C and Gaudette gets sent down.

Goldobin - Horvat - Virtanen

Leivo - Pettersson - Boeser

Baertschi - Sutter - Eriksson

Roussel - Beagle - Motte

Granlund - Schaller

I would prefer

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Goldobin Pettersson Boeser

Leivo Sutter Eriksson

Rousel Beagle Granlund

Motte Schaller

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 4:52 AM, 406in604 said:

Larsson got Taylor Hall and you thing Pietrangelo nets Sutter and Sven? 

Exactly. We don't have the assets to trade for Pietrangelo unless we were including one of Petey, Bo, Brock, Quinn or our 1st (none of which should even be considered.

AP is a top 10/15 defenseman in the league. Sutter and Baer don't even come close in value not to mention 30 other teams could potentially blow this offer out of the water.

We could try to get Parayko though. Sutter, Baer, 2nd and a conditional 4th, turns into a 3rd if we make the playoffs.

On 12/17/2018 at 4:43 PM, 5Fivehole0 said:

Once again, I disagree. Look at the teams record with Sutter/Beagle and without.

you don’t trade away cheap centre depth. You horde it. The Canucks are not in a position to trade roster players. We need depth.

having a centre core of Petersson Horvat Sutter Beagle looks like a healthy 1234. We do not have a surplus of centres. We have 4 real centres.

Exactly.

Those 'bottom 6' centers - are who enable EP a wealth of ozone starts/opportunity - and who enable Horvat not to be mired in hard minutes, giving this team two scoring lines.

The difference when Sutter and Beagle were out of the lineup should be patently/exceedingly obvious.

The fact that the team has a few wingers or young players capable of playing center - Granlund, Gaudette....Schaller, Gaunce - does not change the fact that the guys you want in those shutdown roles are Sutter and Beagle - great faceoff guys, great penalty killers, great shutdown centers - who entirely anchor those lines and penalty killing units.

Beagle's return alone made a huge difference - with both him and Sutter - this team is not only competitive, but it enables Pettersson's line to really thrive.

Beagle was an absolutely great signing - and with him and Sutter this team forms two of the best shutdown and pk units in the NHL.  The value of that can't really be stressed enough, but seems to remain a blind-spot for many people that don't really understand what Benning is doing / team-building = the dumbfoundedness at his free agent moves this summer was almost comical and not just among fans, but pretender 'analysts' who thought this team would be better off chasing expensive top 6 wingers instead.   For hockey people, what he was doing probably should have been relatively obvious.

Archived