The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Winnipeg Jets at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 22, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Especially when you have some of the budding future "best" in the league being subjected to this crap.  How deflating for them!   To come out with that kind of effort but be handicapped by refs who refuse to do their jobs.

Refs aren't there to negotiate whether or not penalties are to be assessed...they're to assess them when infractions happen.  Even the fact that they discuss things with one bench or another during the process of decision making.  What's to discuss?  Either you saw an infraction or you didn't.  The hit on Jake, Brock and Motte.  It's disgusting.

Those arguing that "good teams battle through it".  Not every bloody game.  It begins to erode at the trust in the game.  When you give your best effort and it's a scoreless game, one team should NOT be allowed to start playing dirty to up the ante.  It's total crap.   Imagine if it was Roussel doing that to them?  Ha.  Such an uneven playing field.  The top teams should not get extra help because it seriously compromises that whole label.

So many times you could see the lack of confidence the refs had, hand almost going up then changing their minds. 

Under this 2 ref system they have to factor in the other ref. Is the othe guy going to call it? Am I calling too many?  Not enough? Is the other guy calling less? More? 

Like Green said, the whole rink saw the Motte play 

pure incompetence 

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

While I agree that refs can miss calls and make mistakes, but plays like the ones where Baertschi gets a concussion and Stecher as well that could be looked at after the fact and not even a hearing is had makes me believe something is wrong with the system intentional or not.

The high stick last night was a blown call, but like a poster said, if they can huddle and discuss a puck over the glass, how did 4 officials miss that play? If it was Roussel that it happened to, I get the reputation call, but Motte seems to be an honest player and shouldn't have that rep.

Not to mention when Toronto called to tell the refs to give us a minor penalty!!! League set a new precedent there, why didn’t they do that on the Motte or Jake play? 

1 minute ago, Riviera82 said:

Yes he has - but if your team needs to win a 1-0 goaltending duel, Markstrom just cant seem to pull it off. Shutouts are out of the question.

The whole team is pulled off focus when something's left blatantly unresolved on the ice.  They're still in that moment as the game then flies past.  The refs have an obligation to get it right....missed calls are them failing to do their jobs.  We tend to want to say "missed calls" but when you miss something on the job, especially when someone is put at risk, it's an error not a woopsie.  And it needs accountability and addressing at the higher up end.  Get new refs if these ones are incapable of getting things done.

Marky played a great game and the focus needs to be on how, at the end, the Jets were gifted with opportunities that they shouldn't have been.  They should have been short handed, plain and simple.

2 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

So many time you could see the lack of confidence the refs had, hand almost going up then changing their minds. 

Under this 2 ref system they have to factor in the other ref. Is the othe guy going to call it? Am I calling too many?  Not enough? Is the other guy calling less? More? 

Like Green said, the whole rink saw the Motte play 

pure incompetence 

They shouldn't divert to that process...it should be used only when there's uncertainty.  Not to negotiate whether or not the timing's right for a call...that should never be part of the discussion, but is.  You don't weigh out these things...you act on infractions without checking the scoreboard, time, etc.  That just makes it all bogus.  I agree, whole heartedly.

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

The whole team is pulled off focus when something's left blatantly unresolved on the ice.  They're still in that moment as the game then flies past.  The refs have an obligation to get it right....missed calls are them failing to do their jobs.  We tend to want to say "missed calls" but when you miss something on the job, especially when someone is put at risk, it's an error not a woopsie.  And it needs accountability and addressing at the higher up end.  Get new refs if these ones are incapable of getting things done.

Marky played a great game and the focus needs to be on how, at the end, the Jets were gifted with opportunities that they shouldn't have been.  They should have been short handed, plain and simple.

That doesn't change the fact that Marky couldn't make that last save. It's as though he's got a mental block as far as shutouts are concerned.

8 minutes ago, Riviera82 said:

That doesn't change the fact that Marky couldn't make that last save. It's as though he's got a mental block as far as shutouts are concerned.

There is a mental stumbling block momentarily created by refs who ignore something so obvious.  Kind of leaves everyone shellshocked.   Sure, he should make the save but the game shouldn't be sent flying back into progress until that high stick is addressed.  Not just sweep it under the rug and go.  

Let's support our team through this adversity, shall we?  Because they deserve better in this gong show of a league.  Too many "missed calls" lately and they're not just hooks and holds...they put players at serious risk.  That's just absolute garbage.  Let's keep the focus there, where it should be.

I went away and calmed down (again).  How many times in a span of a week should we, as fans, have to do so?  I can't imagine how this leaves the team feeling.  Go out there and play a winning game and get the rug pulled out from under them.  Very sloppy, poor, negligent officiating recently.    It's got to mess with their mental game to have to contend with this garbage. 

10 hours ago, sedin26 said:

Cross check to the face and no call.  

Not really, hands up high in the chest.  Still a penalty with some refs, and a call there woukd have been nice.

The blindside on Boes was cheap, but you don't stand in the middle of the ice after making a play and not expect to get hit.

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

I went away and calmed down (again).  How many times in a span of a week should we, as fans, have to do so?  I can't imagine who this leaves the team feeling.  Go out there and play a winning game and get the rug pulled out from under them.  Very sloppy, poor, negligent officiating recently. 

I'm like Burke, I'll take those trade-offs to bring some physicality back.

Friends friends, firstly Merry Christmas. 

Secondly, there is nothing to be disappointed about here. The boys can hang with Tampa or outplay the jets. 

Travis Green has them playing aggrasive puck hounding, space taking, offence creating type of hockey. They are fast they have push back and they've become a young team. 

While Bo,  Brock Elias and alike went to the dressing room for the second intermission the sand paper hung around to mix it up. 

How the heck do you gripe the play of Markstrom?! 

NOONE on this team is perfect, Marky was damn close. 

Big picture here guys. This thing is finally becoming what we all hoped it would be. 

This is a 60 minutes, fast, talented team with more than a dump and chase. 

Yes, yes if course there are holes, issues and many places to improve...

The performances the Canucks have been putting in should inspire some pride, in a rebuild there are so many issues and cheering for "w's" in place of seeing the product and effort is futile. 

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

There is a mental stumbling block momentarily created by refs who ignore something so obvious.  Kind of leaves everyone shellshocked.   Sure, he should make the save but the game shouldn't be sent flying back into progress until that high stick is addressed.  Not just sweep it under the rug and go.

Let's support our team through this adversity, shall we?  Because they deserve better in this gong show of a league.  Too many "missed calls" lately and they're not just hooks and holds...they put players at serious risk.  That's just absolute garbage.  Let's keep the focus there, where it should be.

You seem surprised by referee incompetence. I'm not.

Let's not make excuses for Markstrom's shortcomings. We needed him to post the shutout, he had a much easier night than the guy who did post the shutout, he couldn't do it with 1:32 left, we lost outright, the end.

Markstrom with now 180 career starts still has just 2 career shutouts. Tell me he doesn't have a mental block of some kind.

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Not really, hands up high in the chest.  Still a penalty with some refs, and a call there woukd have been nice.

The blindside on Boes was cheap, but you don't stand in the middle of the ice after making a play and not expect to get hit.

Cheap plays cheapen the game.  Some call them cheap, some call them dirty.  I'd prefer the game is played without the cheap crap.  If you have to resort to cheap (cheating), are you really the best?  Hit them hard, but don't aim for the head.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm like Burke, I'll take those trade-offs to bring some physicality back.

That's great....that those watching the games will take these cheap shots but those on the ice being subjected to them might not feel the same.  It's rather selfish to base it on entertainment value rather than concern.

Rock 'em sock 'em is being shown to have come with a price (to many).  So perhaps it was time to re-evaluate things.  I thought that was the plan, but apparently not. 

18 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

They didn't lose their focus, at all.  They should be proud of the way they played.  The Jets tried to intimidate them into rolling over and the Canucks were having none of it.  They played their hearts out until the final buzzer.  This is a team that does not roll over

Let's not make excuses for Markstrom's shortcomings. We needed him to post the shutout, he had a much easier night than the guy who did post the shutout, he couldn't do it with 1:32 left, we lost outright, the end.

Markstrom with now 180 career starts still has just 2 career shutouts. Tell me he doesn't have a mental block of some kind.

Not surprised...just not willing to accept it.

Blaming Marky for anything erodes any credibility you had.  He is playing lights out right now, and that giving the players in front of him the confidence to play the aggressive style that is bringing them success.

Not surprised...just not willing to accept it.

Fwiw refs and linesmen are graded throughout the season - the better ones make the playoffs.  There's a bonus for each playoff rounds they get to officiate.  Missing out hurts their wallet and it's also a question of prestige to get to officiate all the way to the finals.  

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

They didn't lose their focus, at all.  They should be proud of the way they played.  The Jets tried to intimidate them into rolling over and the Canucks were having none of it.  They played their hearts out until the final buzzer.  This is a team that does not roll over

But got shortchanged in the process. 

Of course it changes momentum when this stuff takes place and interrupts the flow of the game.  At the very least, it shouldn't be for nothing...put a guy in the box and get on with it.  Not business as usual.

Anyhow, water under the bridge.  Sadly, we appear to be playing  on the WR pier of a league.

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Cheap plays cheapen the game.  Some call them cheap, some call them dirty.  I'd prefer the game is played without the cheap crap.  If you have to resort to cheap (cheating), are you really the best?  Hit them hard, but don't aim for the head.

That's great....that those watching the games will take these cheap shots but those on the ice being subjected to them might not feel the same.  It's rather selfish to base it on entertainment value rather than concern.

Rock 'em sock 'em is being shown to have come with a price (to many).  So perhaps it was time to re-evaluate things.  I thought that was the plan, but apparently not. 

It should be a game of passion and intensity, it should be a war out there, imo.  It's a game for men, not boys.  That's my opinion anyway.

But got shortchanged in the process. 

Of course it changes momentum when this stuff takes place and interrupts the flow of the game.  At the very least, it shouldn't be for nothing...put a guy in the box and get on with it.  Not business as usual.

Anyhow, water under the bridge.  Sadly, we appear to be playing  on the WR pier of a league.

I don't think they got shortchanged at all.  The Jets are the cream of the crop and they made a great play on the goal.  It happens.

Archived