The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Winnipeg Jets at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 22, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

They shouldn't divert to that process...it should be used only when there's uncertainty.  Not to negotiate whether or not the timing's right for a call...that should never be part of the discussion, but is.  You don't weigh out these things...you act on infractions without checking the scoreboard, time, etc.  That just makes it all bogus.  I agree, whole heartedly.

With expansion I feel the 2 ref system is just asking for a dilution of what apparently is not a deep reffing talent pool. If we cull the bottom half we are bound to at least find some decent refs.  

Have game monitoring, game grades, advance stats. Non performers are put on a performance improvement plan and either improve or or fired and a suitable replacement  is hired 

wait? That’s how it works somewhere else .... yes that’s right .... the REAL world 

Just now, stawns said:

It should be a game of passion and intensity, it should be a war out there, imo.  It's a game for men, not boys.  That's my opinion anyway.

A free for all?  Cheap shots are ok?   Well then let all teams play that way, not just pick and choose.

That men and boys stuff is crap.  Men get injured too...it's not about survival of the fittest, or I'd agree.  When you aim for the face/head, it's not ok and the refs have one job.  But failed to do it.

Why are there refs then?  Passion and intensity doesn't have to give way to cheap crap.  The game can be played honestly and still have those things.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think they got shortchanged at all.  The Jets are the cream of the crop and they made a great play on the goal.  It happens.

They should have been short handed.  Cream of the crop gifted an opportunity, no wonder they're the best.  If we could whack guys in the face and have an advantage, we'd likely challenge for their spot.  Last night's game didn't show cream of the crop vs inferior...we outplayed them.   Cream of the crop is decided in the Spring, not at Christmas. 

Anyhow, getting worked up again.  I WATCH this game with passion and intensity...and then get let down by a league that's so inept.  I don't mind when we lose a close game...it's the feeling of unresolved issues that resulted in a cheap loss.  Cheap shots = cheap loss.

It's Christmas, I love my team but will focus on the juniors and see if that system can get it right and allow the true cream of the crop to rise.  Not help teams along the way.

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

A free for all?  Cheap shots are ok?   Well then let all teams play that way, not just pick and choose.

That men and boys stuff is crap.  Men get injured too...it's not about survival of the fittest, or I'd agree.  When you aim for the face/head, it's not ok and the refs have one job.  But failed to do it.

Why are there refs then?  Passion and intensity doesn't have to give way to cheap crap.  The game can be played honestly and still have those things.

I'll respectfully disagree with you there.  There are two sides to every coin and you never get all the good from something.  These are highly competitive, highly intense athletes.........with physical play comes plsyers and plays that cross a line.  I'd rather watch physical 5v5 hockey and suffer a few cheepshots than watch a game full of pp's, which is about as boring as it gets.

Neither the Boes or Motte hit were anything to get upset about, imo.  

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'll respectfully disagree with you there.  There are two sides to every coin and you never get all the good from something.  These are highly competitive, highly intense athletes.........with physical play comes plsyers and plays that cross a line.  I'd rather watch physical 5v5 hockey and suffer a few cheepshots than watch a game full of pp's, which is about as boring as it gets.

I'd agree if our team would get away with some of this.  We get the most ridiculous  end of the stick.  So I don't disagree in the overall thinking in this, just in how they execute it unfairly.  Some of the penalties assessed are phantom...yet something so blatant is ignored.     That's the part that ruins it for me.  Not the physicality itself.  The fact that some teams get away with it and others don't.

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

I'd agree if our team would get away with some of this.  We get the most ridiculous  end of the stick.  So I don't disagree in the overall thinking in this, just in how they execute it unfairly.  Some of the penalties assess are phantom...yet something so blatant is ignored.     That's the part that ruins it for me.  Not the physicality itself.  The fact that some teams get away with it and others don't.

That's the way hockey has been since the day the first referee stepped on the ice.  It's a grand tradition.  However, there's no conspiracy, no bias........just hockey.

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

The Motte hit was clearly a penalty.  It was a hit to the head with his stick.  If you are not calling that then might as well not have referees...

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

Blaming Marky for anything erodes any credibility you had.  He is playing lights out right now, and that giving the players in front of him the confidence to play the aggressive style that is bringing them success.

He's playing very well right now. He cant win a goaltending duel versus Laurent Broissoit. 2 shutouts in 180 starts. The end.

See, a few wins and "playoffs, playoffs, playoffs", "Benning's great" and then a couple of losses and "he is a bum", "it is his fault", "get rid of him".

Now who are the true fans?

It was an entertaining game, the Peg didn't appear to play their "A" game and could have lost, but their depth in the roster ended up holding in there until the "elite" had their moment in the sun in the final few minutes.

Now the Canuck fans can have a xmas knowing "how close they are"

Capture1.PNG.0a7c98c7bf33b5f7b55140d948893af1.PNG

Capture2.thumb.PNG.b63f49bd2ae14abecd8febf299f958d1.PNG

Game management at its finest

How is that not a penalty?....even a blind man could hear the stick hit the head.

if that was a Canuck doing the high sticking, then you know it would be a penalty.

Jets scored 2 minutes later to win the game....regardless, Horvat needs to get the puck deep with less than 2 minutes left ...puck turned over at the jets blue line when he should have chipped it deep to preserve the point.

34 minutes ago, stawns said:

It should be a game of passion and intensity, it should be a war out there, imo.  It's a game for men, not boys.  That's my opinion anyway.

Bang on Stawns.

Great game by the Canucks. It is a fast game and refs do miss calls. I have to admit that starting this season I thought the Canucks were a good year away from consistency. Losing that game to the Jets, who I consider a CUP finalist, is no setback. A couple of things impressed me. The bottom 6 dominated a lot of shifts last night. I loved the way the Canucks dominated the neutral zone and turned so many plays up ice quickly. 

The Canucks did not lose the game because the Jets scored or because of the refs. They lost because their shooters didn't make the Jet goalie work hard enough. Missed a lot of shots. That happens. These are the types of games that building teams have to experience. Great game boys, enjoy Christmas. 

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's the way hockey has been since the day the first referee stepped on the ice.  It's a grand tradition.  However, there's no conspiracy, no bias........just hockey.

Your opinion.  

And things generally evolve over time.  This game is not what it's always been...the skill is through the roof and we no longer have pylon giants standing around the net, doing nothing more than driving guys away from it.

So no, I don't agree.  That's the old boys club way of thinking.    "This is how it is....men/boys...etc.".  

Let's get rid of the helmets too, shall we?  Remember, that's how hockey's played.  In 1941.  I prefer the fast, skilled game to that of cavemen.

21 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'd agree if our team would get away with some of this.  We get the most ridiculous  end of the stick.  So I don't disagree in the overall thinking in this, just in how they execute it unfairly.  Some of the penalties assessed are phantom...yet something so blatant is ignored.     That's the part that ruins it for me.  Not the physicality itself.  The fact that some teams get away with it and others don't.

there are a lot of "made up calls" against the Canucks...if the Motte high stick is not a penalty.

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Motte hit was clearly a penalty.  It was a hit to the head with his stick.  If you are not calling that then might as well not have referees...

Good grief this isn't house hockey. There is more hitting nightly at a beer league game. Hits like the Canuck player have experienced happen because there is so little hitting now players aren't expecting that it could happen, they are getting complacent. Just wait until they play a playoff game or two.

Washington and Vegas were having up to 100 hits per game, that is what ran Vegas off the ice, the size difference and how the game is reffed. The playoffs have been refereed the same way for decades. And we are talking hits, not this hit the boards beside the player and make a noise stuff, Motte stuff. Size matters.

Game management at its finest

How is that not a penalty?....even a blind man could hear the stick hit the head.

How about the Canucks having 7 players on the ice not being called? Or Edler getting Ehler's in the face with aa stick and elbow?

Tit for Tat.

If Tampa and the Jets ado meet in the final, here's hoping they get to do all the head shots and ruthless intent to injure crap against each other for seven games and their best players get to deal with the same consequences  Canucks like Baertschi and Stecher are facing because of the way this league is officiated.

Just now, TheGuardian_ said:

Good grief this isn't house hockey. There is more hitting nightly at a beer league game. Hits like the Canuck player have experienced happen because there is so little hitting now players aren't expecting that it could happen, they are getting complacent. Just wait until they play a playoff game or two.

Washington and Vegas were having up to 100 hits per game, that is what ran Vegas off the ice, the size difference and how the game is reffed. The playoffs have been refereed the same way for decades. And we are talking hits, not this hit the boards beside the player and make a noise stuff, Motte stuff. Size matters.

Beer leagues don't need referees, that's why it's called a beer league.  There is hitting and there are hits to the head.  I was under the impression you weren't allowed to hit another player in the NHL when the head is the main point of contact.  I guess I was wrong.  You are allowed to hit a Vancouver Canuck in the head and it's not a problem.  Any other team and the guy gets 2 minutes in the box...

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

it was an obvious missed call...the zebra in the offensive zone should have called it...it's just hockey in todays NHL with game management...it's b.s. IMHO

Archived