The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Offseason Plan "Forwards"

First off, great effort by this team when healthy, they were playing meaningful games in March. However there is work to be done, not just players getting a year older, so what does your plan look like?

I personally would like to see a few of the following players go, just not sure who to replace them with, if anyone...

Out I would like to see;

Spooner, don't think he fits any plan we have

Eriksson, after July 1st and his bonus is paid he would be a great addition to a cap floor team. High cap hit, but only 9 million in actual money owed for 3 more years

Schaller, didn't work out.

Granlund, I like him, just don't see room on this team for him anymore

Sutter, IMO Gaudette is a better option for 3rd line center

Goldobin, Great skill, but just doesn't fit the team mold.

Next season lineup:

Baer, Horvat, Rousell

FA, Petty, Boeser

Leivo, Gaud, Pearson

Motte, Beagle, Virt.

A top 6 winger would be a nice addition, whether it be Kakko, Hughes, trade or FA. 2 would be better, then Rousell can move out of the top 6 

Flame away

It depends on what the team wants to do next year, I agree with all the guys you want to move out even though I think gold is one of our better forwards. 

If they want to contend for a playoff spot they can't have Roussel be in the top 6 unless of injury

I think Baertschi is one hit away from taking a permanent vacation.

I agree with the others mentioned that need to go.

This is my hopeful forward group next year:

Ferland - Pettersson - Boeser

Krebs - Horvat - Leivo

Pearson - Gaudette - Virtanen

Roussel - Beagle - Motte

MacEwen

I think Sutter should stick around.  EP, Horvat, Gaudette is a great center line, but very young and inexperienced.  I think Sutter is a good leader and backup in case one of them goes down.  Also he might be more healthy playing RW.  

Eriksson, no trade clause until 2020-21, therefore can't trade him before that I believe.

FA, I don't think we need to spend money for another forward free agent.  I'd rather target a defenseman.   Unless we can find a Eric Staal or Vanek type of deal in free agency.

I'd re-sign Edler for a 2 year-term only.  I'd be willing to overpay since cap won't matter for 2 more years. 

Sign another top 4 defenseman.  Just not sure who's available really.  I'd consider trading for a 25-26 year old top 4 defenseman as well.

Baer - Horvat - Pearson

Virtanen/Eriksson/Leivo - Pettersson - Boeser

Leivo/Virt/Eriksson - Gaudette - Sutter

Motte - Beagle - Virtanen/Eriksson

Edler-Tanev

Hughes-FA(top4)

Hutton-Stetcher

FA(depth)

Meaningful games in March is a bit misleading in that the West has been so weak this season.  In terms of points, we’re actually running at a pace less than the season where Torts was coach.  Marky has given us a chance to win most nights (and EP has led the way in securing those W’s when we have won).  If either has a mini slump next season, we could be in trouble.

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think Baertschi is one hit away from taking a permanent vacation.

I agree with the others mentioned that need to go.

With the way he played last game, from what I seen. He's not afraid to mix it up still. Gives me hope that he's feeling pretty close to 100%. If anything his concussions have made him a bit feistier. Not gonna take s*** from people. 

2 hours ago, Sedinery33 said:

A top 6 winger would be a nice addition, whether it be Kakko, Hughes, trade or FA. 2 would be better, then Rousell can move out of the top 6 

Stick with the plan, build through the draft. 

I trust JB's judgement more with the amateur draft than I do with FA's and trades frankly.  

Also,  building through the draft is a far more sustainable model in today's nhl imo.  

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion] Offseason Plan "Forwards"

Archived