The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] 2019-20 Opening night roster

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

October 2019 Line-up                                           October 2020 line-up

Ferland -- EP40 -- Boeser --                                 2019 draft pick - EP40 - Boeser

Pearson -- Horvat -- Virtanen                                Pearson - Horvat - Ferland

Roussel -- Gaudette -- Leivo                                 Rousel - Gaudette - Virtanen

Schaller -- Beagle -- Eriksson                               Schaller - Beagle - McEwen

Motte - Sutter                                                        Motte - Madden

Hughes -- Myers                                                   Hughes - Myers

Edler -- Stecher                                                     Edler - Stecher

Juolevi -- Tanev                                                     Tryamkin - Woo

Saunter - Schenn                                                  Juolevi - Schenn

Marky                                                                     Demko         

Demko                                                                    UFA

I do not see Benning buying the farm...….it just isn't in him

But in saying that, Ferland is a big up-grade over Goldobin and Myers is a huge up-grade over whoever's turn it is to play RHD this week

Benning will go after one of Dach/Zegras/Boldy/Krebs for his 1st 2019 pick. Defensemen with next 2 picks

All other players...…...Baertschi, Granlund, Pouliot, Goldobin, Hutton, Spooner, and Biega will be moved or let go this summer (2019)

I also see Tanev moved, my gut says asap, my head says next TDL, probably Draft of 2020

A nice mix you have there.  

By "buying the farm" you are referring to Karlsson?   Ferland is a big piece of land too, if not a farm, so I'm not sure he'd go for Ferland if we're talking 6.5 plus or long-term, NMC.  I like him for the money though... wish he'd consider it.

D: You have Edler sketched in for 2 more full years.  And not Tanev (only 1 year).  I like that you have Myers as your new D (UFA this summer?)  

If we're lucky enough to score a Myers class D and Juolevi is good enough to start top 6, then I don't see the need to choose Edler (and Tanev) over Hutton. 

Myers, Hughes, Stecher, Juolevi and Hutton are proven minute munchers.  Throw in Schenn and Rafferty (he looks like a poor man's Hughes) along with Biega or Woo this Fall?  We can be rid of slow and injured (Edler); and defensive-minded and injured (Tanev.)  A bonus if we can get a pick or two for them. 

If you thought Edler had a hard time chasing down players/defending against the rush this year, can you imagine him next Fall or even the Fall after.  The days of preserving sentimental favorites who just want to stay in the city they love are over I'm guessing. 

F: Baertschi, Granlund,Spooner and possibly Motte, Leivo and even Virtanen are not core players, really, (although we keep hoping Jake will be)

What's missing in your forward group is this year's pick... from Newhook to Dach to Lavoie and Kakko… any of the top 6 or 7 forwards in this draft will make your 2020 lineup for sure, and possibly your 2019 one as well.  (Hughes and Cozens I assume are wildly improbable.)  A really nice group is available this year I think.  Which lets us dump Schaller or Eriksson.  If Lind shows promise and one of this year's forward picks is a center? … we won't need Gaudette and Motte either.  (Like you, I see Sutter as gone this Summer or the next TDL.)  I wish we had another top 30 pick.... of course Edler, Sutter and Tanev together might yield something like this... with the right team this Summer.  With another top 30 pick, Benning might pull another Boeser out of the hat. 

10 hours ago, gameburn said:

Pouliot is gone.  Briesebois and Sautner didn't show enough,

Rathbone is a long-shot but might beat out Biega for the 7th or 8th D. As with most of the College guys, he's a bit older, which helps.  Same with Rafferty of course.

Almost certainly the Canucks will get a D FA this summer; I just can't see them missing out on this.

In descending order of importance:

Hughes, Stecher, Stralman, Hutton, Juolevi, Rafferty; with Woo and Biega as 4th pairing.  Schenn might start ahead of Woo. Rathbone is a long-shot to start but will probably see a lot of ice time with the Canucks, as they do tend to injure their D. 

So, a difference between the starting D, and the D we have by mid-to-late season. 

Rathbone is in college and will most likely not be playing with the Canucks at all next year. Even if he did sign with them after his college season next year, he wouldn't be playing more than around 10 games or so. 

Woo can not play in the AHL next year, so Woo will most likely be back in the CHL next year.

I think it's also way too soon to saying Rafferty will be on the NHL team next year. He's probably in the AHL next season to start.  

10 hours ago, Nuck1991 said:

i know one thing for sure

Tanev, pouliet, goldobin, spooner, eriksson, sutter, schaller should NOT be on opening night roster next season. The defense needs big upgrades, cant rely on injury prone, underperforming players. Biega, schenn, sautner, did decent job but should be 7 or 8th d-men. Benning needs to find 2 Rhd. Erik Karlsson should be targetted. People worried abt contract and term, seriously? he is the best defenseman in NHL, 9 mill per for next 6yrs should get the job done, with front loaded contract. Hes elite and has done better job playing on 1 ankle than our entire defense this year.

If Karlsson is the best defenseman in the NHL, how are you signing him for only $9 million over 6 years? Doughty just received a contract of 8 years at $11 million per year.

I would sign Karlsson if we could get him for 6 years at only $9 million, it's just highly unlikely. TB and Vegas may be the only teams who could dream of signing Karlsson for that type of contract because of no state taxes and them both being Cup contenders.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I had Justin Faulk in my fantasy team and he was great... but I also watched some Hurricanes games and he seemed defensively inept. 

And he’s also had a hard time staying healthy at times...but can shoot the puck from the point and add goals..

1 hour ago, TheRealistOptimist said:

If Karlsson is the best defenseman in the NHL, how are you signing him for only $9 million over 6 years? Doughty just received a contract of 8 years at $11 million per year.

I would sign Karlsson if we could get him for 6 years at only $9 million, it's just highly unlikely. TB and Vegas may be the only teams who could dream of signing Karlsson for that type of contract because of no state taxes and them both being Cup contenders.

You bet...that’s like 10.5 in most NHL cities.  Karlsson has stated a few times that he wouldn’t take less than Doughty last year, don’t know if that’s changed much since then (and would definitely take the discount to go to Vegas or TB as it’s really no discount, as long as the bottom line is similar).   Doughty didn’t use his agent either, which makes his deal even better...closer to 12 million. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, TheRealistOptimist said:

Rathbone is in college and will most likely not be playing with the Canucks at all next year. Even if he did sign with them after his college season next year, he wouldn't be playing more than around 10 games or so. 

Woo can not play in the AHL next year, so Woo will most likely be back in the CHL next year.

I think it's also way too soon to saying Rafferty will be on the NHL team next year. He's probably in the AHL next season to start.  

Oh, hadn't realized Rathbone was looking at another full year in College, sorry about that.

Woo is looking promising  though.  Rafferty could be better than Hutton was when he made the Canucks out of camp a few years back... his few games here were terrific. Not sure if his defensive game is good enough, but his offensive stuff is terrific. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, gameburn said:

A nice mix you have there.  

By "buying the farm" you are referring to Karlsson?   Ferland is a big piece of land too, if not a farm, so I'm not sure he'd go for Ferland if we're talking 6.5 plus or long-term, NMC.  I like him for the money though... wish he'd consider it.

D: You have Edler sketched in for 2 more full years.  And not Tanev (only 1 year).  I like that you have Myers as your new D (UFA this summer?)  

If we're lucky enough to score a Myers class D and Juolevi is good enough to start top 6, then I don't see the need to choose Edler (and Tanev) over Hutton. 

Myers, Hughes, Stecher, Juolevi and Hutton are proven minute munchers.  Throw in Schenn and Rafferty (he looks like a poor man's Hughes) along with Biega or Woo this Fall?  We can be rid of slow and injured (Edler); and defensive-minded and injured (Tanev.)  A bonus if we can get a pick or two for them. 

If you thought Edler had a hard time chasing down players/defending against the rush this year, can you imagine him next Fall or even the Fall after.  The days of preserving sentimental favorites who just want to stay in the city they love are over I'm guessing. 

F: Baertschi, Granlund,Spooner and possibly Motte, Leivo and even Virtanen are not core players, really, (although we keep hoping Jake will be)

What's missing in your forward group is this year's pick... from Newhook to Dach to Lavoie and Kakko… any of the top 6 or 7 forwards in this draft will make your 2020 lineup for sure, and possibly your 2019 one as well.  (Hughes and Cozens I assume are wildly improbable.)  A really nice group is available this year I think.  Which lets us dump Schaller or Eriksson.  If Lind shows promise and one of this year's forward picks is a center? … we won't need Gaudette and Motte either.  (Like you, I see Sutter as gone this Summer or the next TDL.)  I wish we had another top 30 pick.... of course Edler, Sutter and Tanev together might yield something like this... with the right team this Summer.  With another top 30 pick, Benning might pull another Boeser out of the hat. 

Yeah.....I agree there should be more movement, and I wanted to say more, but was trying to keep under my normal 5000 word minimum, and give you guys a break.

#1. ….yes, when I said "sell the farm" ……..I meant, I don't think we are going to see Karlsson and Panarin on the starting line up...…..not even sure then would be the right players to have anyways...…...

#2. …..Edler and Tanev...…..Edler has played a much larger role, than Tanev over the past few years because of Tanev's injuries. Many people say that Edler is not a 1/2 defenseman, which I agree with, but he has never been allowed to play in 3/4 position. He still shows good form, and quite honestly, if Hamhuis can still be playing, Edler might be around a lot longer than 2 more years.....probably just not on our team. (I expect his contract to be a NMC for the 1st 2 years, then a LNM, so that he can actually be exposed in the Expansion draft.

……....Tanev is a whole other story, and I can see him moving sooner than later (The return will be a 2nd + 3rd ), however he could be package for a higher pick, I think it is up in the air as to when, as it will depend more on who is available to take his place......which leads me to believe Benning may go after a package deal to get a younger replacement.

Which to me means you might be seeing Virtanen packaged up. (Not that I want to see Virtanen gone), but he is the logical piece that has value, so that we can expect a decent returning player.......Maybe Benning weaves some magic.......I hope he stays!

#3........Yes, our 2019 pick is on the above 2020 roster on the first line. ( I actually think Benning may move up 2 or 3 spots to ensure his choice ) If he is fitting a player, right on to the Pettersson line, he will go after Boldy, if he is trying to fill in the 2nd line, he will go after Dach or Turcotte (Dach would be there at 6/7) I really prefer him moving up as both Turcotte and Dach can play both center and wing........Boldy is only a LWer........but they will be there start of 2020.

I agree, this is the year to gather picks, as it fits our time line. I have been an advocate to move our 2021 1st with a player for a 2019 1st. It would be so good for the  franchise to have them all be ready, before Bo contract is up, so that is why I see it important now.

Here is why.......Bo will be 28 when his current contract runs out. That is 4 years. So any picks, picked in this draft would most likely join the team in 2 or 3 years.....That is a very small window with Bo, so IMO, it is important to make our moves this year, at the very latest........I have posted many senario's where we move into this draft with multiple picks

and have been laughed out, as people say, GM's don't do that, but just looking at the proposals higher up in your thread, many past core players are talked about as being moved. And many teams are walking into the draft with 2 1sts and multiple 2nds as well. I happens!

I suggest, we go hard on this, to give us a largest window before Bo's UFA year. Players to be moved or considered to be moved are........

1. Tanev

2. Baertschi

3. Hutton

4.. Sutter

5. Goldobin

6. 2021 1st round pick

The importance of moving these guys now, is again, development time for any pick we choose, and the opening up of cap space for Pettersson and Hughes

When looking at our proposed line-ups, it is getting younger, and older less reliable players are being moved out, people have to consider the return, and what that means in future assets, and what those future assets can bring you..............What I want is these kids picked now and developing on the farm in 2 years, and allowing us the potential to start a real second wave of core development....

My point is, every hockey fan worth his salt, understands cap and how there has to be a constant rotation of players, to stay under it. I also think most fanatics like ourselves understand the power Phili and Carolina yield with their abundance of defensive prospects, or how Tampa's deep prospect pool has helped them pull off major trades.

I do not see it impossible to walk out of the draft with some major future pieces......maybe a couple of 1sts, and 2 or 3 2-nds

Followed by another 1st and 2nd, the following year, would give us an amassing prospect pool, that would all be pushing before Bo's contract is up.

It wold allows us to look at our then future core, and see what gets rotated out in 3 or 4 years

If you want to see our current players resign then, show them you have a solid plan for the future, and they will want to be part of it....

That is it..............that is all I got! :picard:

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Yeah.....I agree there should be more movement, and I wanted to say more, but was trying to keep under my normal 5000 word minimum, and give you guys a break.

#1. ….yes, when I said "sell the farm" ……..I meant, I don't think we are going to see Karlsson and Panarin on the starting line up...…..not even sure then would be the right players to have anyways...…...

#2. …..Edler and Tanev...…..Edler has played a much larger role, than Tanev over the past few years because of Tanev's injuries. Many people say that Edler is not a 1/2 defenseman, which I agree with, but he has never been allowed to play in 3/4 position. He still shows good form, and quite honestly, if Hamhuis can still be playing, Edler might be around a lot longer than 2 more years.....probably just not on our team. (I expect his contract to be a NMC for the 1st 2 years, then a LNM, so that he can actually be exposed in the Expansion draft.

……....Tanev is a whole other story, and I can see him moving sooner than later (The return will be a 2nd + 3rd ), however he could be package for a higher pick, I think it is up in the air as to when, as it will depend more on who is available to take his place......which leads me to believe Benning may go after a package deal to get a younger replacement.

Which to me means you might be seeing Virtanen packaged up. (Not that I want to see Virtanen gone), but he is the logical piece that has value, so that we can expect a decent returning player.......Maybe Benning weaves some magic.......I hope he stays!

#3........Yes, our 2019 pick is on the above 2020 roster on the first line. ( I actually think Benning may move up 2 or 3 spots to ensure his choice ) If he is fitting a player, right on to the Pettersson line, he will go after Boldy, if he is trying to fill in the 2nd line, he will go after Dach or Turcotte (Dach would be there at 6/7) I really prefer him moving up as both Turcotte and Dach can play both center and wing........Boldy is only a LWer........but they will be there start of 2020.

I agree, this is the year to gather picks, as it fits our time line. I have been an advocate to move our 2021 1st with a player for a 2019 1st. It would be so good for the  franchise to have them all be ready, before Bo contract is up, so that is why I see it important now.

Here is why.......Bo will be 28 when his current contract runs out. That is 4 years. So any picks, picked in this draft would most likely join the team in 2 or 3 years.....That is a very small window with Bo, so IMO, it is important to make our moves this year, at the very latest........I have posted many senario's where we move into this draft with multiple picks

and have been laughed out, as people say, GM's don't do that, but just looking at the proposals higher up in your thread, many past core players are talked about as being moved. And many teams are walking into the draft with 2 1sts and multiple 2nds as well. I happens!

I suggest, we go hard on this, to give us a largest window before Bo's UFA year. Players to be moved or considered to be moved are........

1. Tanev

2. Baertschi

3. Hutton

4.. Sutter

5. Goldobin

6. 2021 1st round pick

The importance of moving these guys now, is again, development time for any pick we choose, and the opening up of cap space for Pettersson and Hughes

When looking at our proposed line-ups, it is getting younger, and older less reliable players are being moved out, people have to consider the return, and what that means in future assets, and what those future assets can bring you..............What I want is these kids picked now and developing on the farm in 2 years, and allowing us the potential to start a real second wave of core development....

My point is, every hockey fan worth his salt, understands cap and how there has to be a constant rotation of players, to stay under it. I also think most fanatics like ourselves understand the power Phili and Carolina yield with their abundance of defensive prospects, or how Tampa's deep prospect pool has helped them pull off major trades.

I do not see it impossible to walk out of the draft with some major future pieces......maybe a couple of 1sts, and 2 or 3 2-nds

Followed by another 1st and 2nd, the following year, would give us an amassing prospect pool, that would all be pushing before Bo's contract is up.

It wold allows us to look at our then future core, and see what gets rotated out in 3 or 4 years

If you want to see our current players resign then, show them you have a solid plan for the future, and they will want to be part of it....

That is it..............that is all I got! :picard:

This is great!

What I love about what you've done is bringing up the whole issue of timing.  The draft is very promising for this team's needs, and the expansion issue/the age of our key players (core and vets together) makes a lot of what you suggest pretty smart.  This is a rich draft -- if we could get 2 Newhook/Dach/Turcotte class players this would probably change the team's medium to long-term future, probably akin to the Sedin draft.  Even if we are stuck at 9 and add something in the 20 to 32 range, this might be the year to get some value.  I suspect that Benning studies other teams' timing issues too.  There must be teams out there who have cap/expansion/prospect pool factors that make swapping picks a good idea.  And teams that could use a Tanev  or a Sutter (or a Virtanen, for that matter) who would release some of those picks.  Lack of depth has been a factor in some of the injuries the D and Centers have suffered.... Tanev might avoid injury with the Leafs or Tampa Bay, or even Boston.  

Cap space... it's been a while since we've had to think about this, but it's going to be real here pretty soon.   Guys like Tanev, Sutter and Baertschi -- as well as the usual suspects like Eriksson -- really do have to be moved.   The latter because his money is a complete waste, and Tanev, Sutter and Baertschi because cap is being paid to people who don't seem to be capable of playing much more than half a season.  And injuries of the type we're talking about really do shorten careers and get worse each year.  Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, Horvat -- these guys have a different kind of durability and will be capable of playing near-complete seasons.  Even Pettersson is going to do better each year ahead.  (He's talked about conditioning a couple of times.)  Hughes will be like Gretzky: he'll play close to 30 minutes a game and hardly ever be out of the lineup.

Edited by gameburn
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

Edler will be a canuck till he retires ....but van does need to do a whole new overhaul of the defense , thats what hurt us all season long. 

"Edler will be a Canuck til he retires" ... I fear you are right.  Shouldn't be this way though.  Bieksa, Burrows, even Bert and Morrison and Naslund didn't get to retire here, providing no return.  The Sedins situation was tolerable, although it, too, amounts to wasting an asset (2, in fact.)  But, Edler… there is no excuse for allowing him to play out his days here, as if he were God's gift to the franchise.  IMO, this is worse than the Hamhuis situation... at least he left.  Retiring where you played your whole career... never moving one inch, never allowing the home team a chance to recover an asset... how many sports allow this for how many of their stars...

For Edler… completely nuts if this happens here.  (If he retires before his contract is up, that's different, players do this sometimes... usually due to injury.)   

Edited by gameburn

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] 2019-20 Opening night roster

Opening night roster. I think JB wont land any of the whales in UFA but there are some very good options. In Nelson 5.5Mx5, Connolly 3.5mx4, Chiarot 2.5mx3  that won't break the bank and leave us in a bind going forward cap wize.

Press box:

Goldobin sits until there is an injury to our top 9 and gets plugged into a position where he has the best opportunity to either explode or call it quits on the NHL

Motte switches off with Schaller depending on who we are playing and how they are playing. 

Schenn gets in there when some muscle is required don't want to break him playing a top 4 role

Roussel IR

Nelson Pete Boeser -(Primary O) Brock Nelson is a perfect fit for them he's hard in the corners and net front thrives in the dirty areas. Gives us another top 6 C when injuries occur as well. 

Pearson Bo Connolly- (Match ups) Connoly gives Bo another cup winning scoring winger with size and hockey smarts. 

Baertschi Gaudette Leivo- (secondary scoring)

Schaller Beagle Virtanen -(Grind) 

Edler Hughes -(O)

Hutton Stetcher- (Utility)

Chiarot Tanev -(Shut down pairing) Chiarot is a big boy defensive D this tandem can handle the tough duties 

Juolevi -he's gonna have to put in work in the A and take Hutton or Edlers job. There will be plenty of opportunities as injuries are inevitable. 

Traded: Sutter 2nd, Granlund 3rd, 

Waived:

Loui traded once bonuses have been paid.   

Spooner

Gaunce 

Biega

Boucher

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, hammertime said:

Opening night roster. I think JB wont land any of the whales in UFA but there are some very good options. In Nelson 5.5Mx5, Connolly 3.5mx4, Chiarot 2.5mx3  that won't break the bank and leave us in a bind going forward cap wize.

Press box:

Goldobin sits until there is an injury to our top 9 and gets plugged into a position where he has the best opportunity to either explode or call it quits on the NHL

Motte switches off with Schaller depending on who we are playing and how they are playing. 

Schenn gets in there when some muscle is required don't want to break him playing a top 4 role

Roussel IR

Nelson Pete Boeser -(Primary O) Brock Nelson is a perfect fit for them he's hard in the corners and net front thrives in the dirty areas. Gives us another top 6 C when injuries occur as well. 

Pearson Bo Connolly- (Match ups) Connoly gives Bo another cup winning scoring winger with size and hockey smarts. 

Baertschi Gaudette Leivo- (secondary scoring)

Schaller Beagle Virtanen -(Grind) 

Edler Hughes -(O)

Hutton Stetcher- (Utility)

Chiarot Tanev -(Shut down pairing) Chiarot is a big boy defensive D this tandem can handle the tough duties 

Juolevi -he's gonna have to put in work in the A and take Hutton or Edlers job. There will be plenty of opportunities as injuries are inevitable. 

Traded: Sutter 2nd, Granlund 3rd, 

Waived:

Loui traded once bonuses have been paid.   

Spooner

Gaunce 

Biega

Boucher

I think if we land one of the centers that are being talked about in the draft (Hughes, obviously, but Cozens, Krebs, Dach and even Lavoie or Newhook) this would allow the team to say good-bye to Sutter with no problem.  And Gaudette would probably head to Utica, taking Beagle's place in 2 years, or possibly coming up for the inevitable injuries before then.  A few of the players in this elite group would probably make the Canucks this Fall...

IF we could pick up Krebs/Dach and Newhook in the same draft? Lol.  My hope is that Newhook slips in the draft … down to 20 to 35 and MAYBE we have an extra pick in this range... This is why Edler and Tanev have to be moved for picks...  might not be high enough ranking of course, but still...

Edited by gameburn
  • Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, gameburn said:

I think if we land one of the centers that are being talked about in the draft (Hughes, obviously, but Cozens, Krebs, Dach and even Lavoie or Newhook) this would allow the team to say good-bye to Sutter with no problem.  And Gaudette would probably head to Utica, taking Beagle's place in 2 years, or possibly coming up for the inevitable injuries before then.  A few of the players in this elite group would probably make the Canucks this Fall...

IF we could pick up Krebs/Dach and Newhook in the same draft? Lol.  My hope is that Newhook slips in the draft … down to 20 to 35 and MAYBE we have an extra pick in this range... This is why Edler and Tanev have to be moved for picks...  might not be high enough ranking of course, but still...

I will be surprised if Newhook reaches 10 no chance he slips to the 20s. I will rejoice heartily if he makes it to our 9th-12th pick I would take him in the top 6.  Krebs I would bet will drop probably not into the 20s though. Bad team or no bad team when you score over a ppg and you're still -50 I think some GM's may not want to risk a top 10 pick. Dach and Cousins won't slip to 9-12  power forwards with that upside are a GM's wet dream. My bet is 1 of Caufield, Boldy, Sieder, Soderstrom, become Canucks my gut tells me its Boldy. 

Lavoie is all over the place he might be there in the 20s. He missed the 2018 draft by ten days but there is no denying he's a big boy who can skate and make plays. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Like 1

This is what I would strongly consider doing:

2019 opening night = forward roster completely built.

Duchene-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Connolly

Leivo-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Eriksson

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Tanev

Hutton-Schenn

Markstrom

Demko

-Baertschi either retires via LTIR, or is traded for a pick.

-Sutter is moved for a pick.

-Again, I would pick Duchene here due to the fact that he can play both LW and C, and will likely come much cheaper than Panarin (due to Duchene’s perceived lack of character).

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:02 PM, hammertime said:

I will be surprised if Newhook reaches 10 no chance he slips to the 20s. I will rejoice heartily if he makes it to our 9th-12th pick I would take him in the top 6.  Krebs I would bet will drop probably not into the 20s though. Bad team or no bad team when you score over a ppg and you're still -50 I think some GM's may not want to risk a top 10 pick. Dach and Cousins won't slip to 9-12  power forwards with that upside are a GM's wet dream. My bet is 1 of Caufield, Boldy, Sieder, Soderstrom, become Canucks my gut tells me its Boldy. 

Lavoie is all over the place he might be there in the 20s. He missed the 2018 draft by ten days but there is no denying he's a big boy who can skate and make plays. 

I live in Victoria, and anyone who has seen Newhook play is hugely impressed.  He is an offensive player like very few.  I just noticed that estimations keep putting him lower on the list. (Some so-called expert even had him at 21st or something.) . I think he's a potential Pettersson type: get him at 5th and watch him win the Calder 2 years later.  

Boldy would be great... Caufield is possibly even better, and I can see one of them being available at 10. 

At first I was cursing our draft luck... but now I'm not so sure it matters that much. (Other than Jack Hughes, to go with his brother... that would be amazing.) 

• Upvote 1