The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At Number 10 Who do we take?

Rate this topic

aqua59

40 minutes ago, rekker said:

Seems the top 9 of the draft is very centre loaded? This may bode well for us as we need a scoring winger with size and a dman. Hopefully we find that gem. 

a pure goal scorer that can finish! look at all those shots Goldy had that he just missed, if we had someone who could finish with a quick release, I know Travis Green wants more defensive minded, which is where if its true about Boldy that works for us 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

Maybe we get lucky and Cozens drops to 10. Kid can flat out fly for someone with a 6’3 frame. 

So can Virtanen. Every time I watch Cousins shift by shifts I feel like I'm watching Virtanen in his hitman days. Every time he gets the puck he charges up ice and trys to one man it to the net for his patented power move. He doesn't use his team enough for me to get excited about him.   

2 hours ago, Team Bagues said:

I was bored and looked at the last 15 years of draft # 9, 10, & 11 respectively. Whatever mindset the scouting staff needs to consider guys written in bold would be good.

I'm guessing the Canucks' internal ranking system has gotten much better in recent years, thus the team won't be swayed much by central scouting.

The ability to buck central scouting trends seems an important factor for drafting success - particularly outside of the top 3. Also, BPA would help to keep position specific blinders off - tending toward overvaluing due to positional need.

2004: (9) Smid, )10) Valabek, (11) Tukonen ---- drafted afterward in the 1st round >>> Dubniyk, Radulov, Green, Schneider

2005: Lee, Bourdon, Kopitar ---- Rask, Oshie, Niskanen

2006: Sheppard, Frolik, J. Bernier ---- Little, Giroux, Varlamov, Foligno

2007: Couture, Ellerby, B. Sutter ---- Paciorety, Backlund, Perron, McDonagh

2008: Bailey, Hodgson, Beech ---- E. Karlsson, Myers, Eberle, J. Carlson

2009: Cowen, Paajarvi-Svensson, Ellis ---- Krieder, Palmeiri

2010: M. Granlund, Mcllrath, Campbell ---- Swartz, Tarasenko, Hayes, Kuznetsov, Fowler

2011: D. Hamilton, Brodin, Siemens ---- J.T. Miller, Rackell

2012: Trouba, Koekkoek, Forsberg ---- Hertl, Terraveinen, Vasilevsky

2013: Horvat, Nichuchkin, Morin ---- Domi, Morrissey, Theodore

2014: Ehlers, Ritchie, Fiala ---- Larkin, Vrana, Kapanen, Pastrnak

2015: Meier, Rantanen, Crouse ---- Debrusk, Connor, Chabot, Boeser

2016: Sergachev, Jost, Brown ---- Mcavoy, Borgstrom

2017: Rasmussen, Tippett, Valardi ---- Brannstrom, Thomas, Jokiharju, Tolvanen

2018: Kravstov, Bouchard, Wahlstrom ---- too early

Parts of your post you've bolded, so I've bolded and enlarged the part I want to respond to.

I don't think this team has been anywhere near 'swayed' by central scouting.

Central scouting has lagged behind the performance of many, many NHL teams for some time = not sure who they've been swaying - aside from fan impressions...

To put it as a friend in the amateur scouting gig put it - they have been over-rating the CHL for some time - and under-representing players out of the U.S. (or Europe) and have failed to catchup/keep with the times.

The USHL/USA junior ranks have been better than Central Scouting's rankings realized for a while now - probably about to change, if not already in the process in the past few years.

The Canucks have been drafting - Demko, Boeser, Gaudette, Lockwood, Rathbone, Madden, Hughes - accordingly - as arguably have other NHL teams.

13 minutes ago, hammertime said:

So can Virtanen. Every time I watch Cousins shift by shifts I feel like I'm watching Virtanen in his hitman days. Every time he gets the puck he charges up ice and trys to one man it to the net for his patented power move. He doesn't use his team enough for me to get excited about him.   

If he is anything like JV, we need to stay far far far away from him. From what I have seen though, thank god he is nothing like him if we pick him. Lol

At this point, we should be identifying who is most NHL ready and can develop at the NHL level within a year or two. Also identifying who has a higher hockey IQ to compliment Petey, Boeser, and Hughes in reading the ice.

If it was possible, I'd be looking at trying to get both Soderstrom and Caufield. 

With those in mind, I wouldn't be opposed to Benning trying to make a deal with the Flyers, Wild, or Panthers to get another pick between 10-15. 

As well, it would also be worth exploring what deal could be done the other way with Buffalo.

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Agreed. Maybe Cozens translates better to the NHL than Jake did, but I'd be hesitant to take him top 5 like many of the mock drafts suggest.

6 minutes ago, mephnick said:

Agreed. Maybe Cozens translates better to the NHL than Jake did, but I'd be hesitant to take him top 5 like many of the mock drafts suggest.

If he is anything like jV he wouldn’t be ranked 5th. Some people had jV nowhere near 6th. More like 12th or lower.

1 minute ago, Tomatoes11 said:

If he is anything like jV he wouldn’t be ranked 5th. Some people had jV nowhere near 6th. More like 12th or lower.

I think hockey smarts is really important. If a guy has great skills, but is a sack of rocks, I don’t think we should take him.  I think Button had Jake at the bottom of round one.  That’s 25 or lower.  

4 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

That's odd, most of the reliable charts have him ranked 6-8. The odd outlier has him at 10+. Consensus from mixed rankings: 7. Maybe you should look again.

Mock drafts have Cozens going 5-8, so yeah, almost exactly like Jake.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think hockey smarts is really important. If a guy has great skills, but is a sack of rocks, I don’t think we should take him.  I think Button had Jake at the bottom of round one.  That’s 25 or lower.  

Yeah I think cozens is supposed to be high iq so I have no idea where him being the next jV is coming from.  Especially since he is center and his scouting reports sound absolutely nowhere near similar to what was said in JV’s scouting reports.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

At this point, we should be identifying who is most NHL ready and can develop at the NHL level within a year or two. Also identifying who has a higher hockey IQ to compliment Petey, Boeser, and Hughes in reading the ice.

If it was possible, I'd be looking at trying to get both Soderstrom and Caufield. 

With those in mind, I wouldn't be opposed to Benning trying to make a deal with the Flyers, Wild, or Panthers to get another pick between 10-15. 

As well, it would also be worth exploring what deal could be done the other way with Buffalo.

At the risk of beating a dead horse I think Lavoi is the most NHL ready of anyone who will be available @ 10. He's definitely a  high basement low cieling prospect who projects as a middle 6 PWF. You're pretty much guaranteed an NHL player out of him but he probably won't be your next franchise FWD. His playoff performance so far with 2ppg and points in every game is very impressive. There really is no one else draft eligible in the CHL with playoff stats anywhere near him.  

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, mephnick said:

That's odd, most of the reliable charts have him ranked 6-8. The odd outlier has him at 10+. Consensus from mixed rankings: 7. Maybe you should look again.

Mock drafts have Cozens going 5-8, so yeah, almost exactly like Jake.

Central scouting had him 6 among North American skaters. Throw in the euro players and that’s definitely closer to 12.

10 from bob McKenzie and 47 from button lol

EE27AD56-4291-408C-8A9A-47E5EC53CFD7.png

30 minutes ago, hammertime said:

At the risk of beating a dead horse I think Lavoi is the most NHL ready of anyone who will be available @ 10. He's definitely a  high basement low cieling prospect who projects as a middle 6 PWF. You're pretty much guaranteed an NHL player out of him but he probably won't be your next franchise FWD. His playoff performance so far with 2ppg and points in every game is very impressive. There really is no one else draft eligible in the CHL with playoff stats anywhere near him.  

Funny you mention it, I was going back and forth on him today. I agree. And 6'4, 200lbs ... would be a really smart pick.

With what I said above, I was thinking more need on D and goal scoring but I'd be ok with Lavoie too.

33 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Yeah I think cozens is supposed to be high iq so I have no idea where him being the next jV is coming from.  Especially since he is center and his scouting reports sound absolutely nowhere near similar to what was said in JV’s scouting reports.

Are you going by scouting reports and highlight reels or are you actually watching him play.  I'm watching him play just because he's a C doesn't make him a high IQ player. Maybe he turns out to be more Kesler than Virtanen all I'm saying is that when I watch him I see a straight line player who tries to do too much himself and doesn't utilize his teammates enough. 50% of the time he gets the puck he tears up ice and tries to power it to the net. I see that as very similar to Jake possibly he will be more successful at it than Jake at the next level.  He backchecks well plays hard no doubt. I think for him to translate he will need to be the driver on his line as I don't see him as a complementary player. Still a very good prospect.  

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Funny you mention it, I was going back and forth on him today. I agree. And 6'4, 200lbs ... would be a really smart pick.

With what I said above, I was thinking more need on D and goal scoring but I'd be ok with Lavoie too.

I was just speaking to who I think will be able to quickly make the jump to the NHL.

D are tough Its very rare that they make the jump in their D+1. I think Soderstrom is probably the closest to being NHL ready even more so than Byram. That being said much like Lavoi I also don't see him as a potential franchise player. More so that he probably has the most complete toolbox at this time. I still don't see him on an NHL roster next year though. If it's me and I'm targeting a D I'm going with Sieder he's definitely more of a project but with his size speed and shot he has that #1 D ceiling at worst he's a #5 we can use on special teams. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I was just speaking to who I think will be able to quickly make the jump to the NHL.

D are tough Its very rare that they make the jump in their D+1. I think Soderstrom is probably the closest to being NHL ready even more so than Byram. That being said much like Lavoi I also don't see him as a potential franchise player. More so that he probably has the most complete toolbox at this time. I still don't see him on an NHL roster next year though. If it's me and I'm targeting a D I'm going with Sieder he's definitely more of a project but with his size speed and shot he has that #1 D ceiling at worst he's a #5 we can use on special teams. 

In a perfect world, I'd take ...

giphy.gif

Edited by Dr. Crossbar