The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stanley Cups (Pre 1968) before and after Expansion.

Rate this topic

On 4/28/2019 at 1:16 PM, 6string said:

When people make comments about the Canucks without a Stanley Cup, I often bring up pre expansion or old six as being unqualified with their multiple Cup wins. Six teams c'mon and people laugh at the CFL with nine.

Look at the Leafs with zero cup appearances since expansion, the Canucks have made three visits to the finals. Montreal has not made a trip to the finals in some 25 years!

I would agree to the asterisk!

NHL Teams With No Stanley Cups
  • St. Louis Blues (1967-68) ...
  • Buffalo Sabres (1970-71) ...
  • Vancouver Canucks (1970-71) ...
  • San Jose Sharks (1991-92) ...
  • Florida Panthers (1993-94) ...
  • Winnipeg Jets/Phoenix Coyotes (1996-97) ...
  • Nashville Predators (1998-99)
  • Columbus Blue Jackets (2000-01)
  • Las Vegas Golden Knights ( 2017-18)

I didn't know the Minnesota Wild won the Stanley Cup, or the Ottawa Senators...

Edited by falcon45ca
  • Cheers 1

On 4/28/2019 at 12:43 PM, the grinder said:

how about pre  salary cap era and post cap era  where as pre cap era you could just about buy a cup  look at the avs , red wings the rangers etc during the pre cap era there is no way those teams would have all that talent around in a salary cap era

This exactly. Pre cap era stats in general are silly. 

It's a damn shame as soon as the Canucks got rich owners, the nhl made cap and we couldn't buy cups like Detroit or Colorado. 

The 2002 Detroit team we spanked would have got swept if it was even cap. If I'm not mistaking we spent 35 mill that year and Detroit 90 mill. Think about it... The biggest dumpster on this planet... Detroit... Was buying cups and the greatest city on the planet (Vancouver) never had a rich owner 

God I hate Detroit and Colorado... Biggest scum franchises... Tied with Penguins, Bruins and all the dumpster teams 

(dumpster = California... Might as well add vegas too) 

6 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Why though?  As I said, for much of the period, it wasn’t even a six team league but effectively three or at most four teams.  What kind of league is that?

because the line becomes WAY too blurry. Is a 12 team league legit? It's less than half of the number of teams now. What about 21 teams when 16 made the playoffs? Do we asterisk any team that won when the first round was best 2 out of 3? Does each era get it's own set of asterisks? What about multi-year scoring records, etc - they could span multi expansion eras. 

27 minutes ago, rychicken said:

because the line becomes WAY too blurry. Is a 12 team league legit? It's less than half of the number of teams now. What about 21 teams when 16 made the playoffs? Do we asterisk any team that won when the first round was best 2 out of 3? Does each era get it's own set of asterisks? What about multi-year scoring records, etc - they could span multi expansion eras. 

You don't see the difference between a 12 team league and a league that was effectively three teams?  We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Everyone obviously has differing opinions.  Not saying yours don't have any merit.  For example, do we laugh at the achievements of baseball players before the color barrier was broken by Jackie Robinson?  It's a tough call I'll admit.  I still have awe at the achievements of Babe Ruth even though he didn't face the best as he was a great pitcher as well (early on his career).  He might've even been able to get on the baseball hall of fame if he had stayed a pitcher (he was THAT good).  It would be like if Marty Brodeur played forward/defense early on his NHL career - good enough to be on an allstar team.  I think Babe Ruth even pitched a scoreless game in the World Series once.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

3 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

Dude, that was a sick burn. Like, wow that's elite level dissing bro...if this thread idea of yours was even 2/79ths as epic, you'd win a Grammy fo sho.

Dude, the victim card?

SMH.