The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stanley Cups (Pre 1968) before and after Expansion.

Rate this topic

Should the NHL put an asterisk on all Stanley Cup winners from 1967 and prior, or make a separate category as from 1968 Expansion Era onwards? 

Yes there was up to 10 teams in the late 1920's. Post WWII there was six teams and it stayed that way for 22 years until 1968 when the NHL doubled in size. 

Even though Montreal, Toronto, and Detroit have won 24, 13, and 11 cups. 

Montreal post 1967: 9

Toronto post 1967: 0

Detroit post 1967: 4

Chicago post 1967: 3

Boston post 1967: 3

Montreal would still be the leading Cup winner, but since we are talking very different eras should Stanley Cup wins be in a different context? 

Just imagine the level of players in the Original Six Era. Each team had 12 forwards, 4 defenceman, and 1 goalie. 

So that's the 72 best forwards in the game, 24 of the best defencemen, and the top 6 goalies. That's pretty much 6 all star teams. 

Maybe and asterisk is too extreme, but a separate category I think should be in order. Especially since it's been 51 years since the major expansion. 

Thoughts? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

When people make comments about the Canucks without a Stanley Cup, I often bring up pre expansion or old six as being unqualified with their multiple Cup wins. Six teams c'mon and people laugh at the CFL with nine.

Look at the Leafs with zero cup appearances since expansion, the Canucks have made three visits to the finals. Montreal has not made a trip to the finals in some 25 years!

I would agree to the asterisk!

NHL Teams With No Stanley Cups
  • St. Louis Blues (1967-68) ...
  • Buffalo Sabres (1970-71) ...
  • Vancouver Canucks (1970-71) ...
  • San Jose Sharks (1991-92) ...
  • Florida Panthers (1993-94) ...
  • Winnipeg Jets/Phoenix Coyotes (1996-97) ...
  • Nashville Predators (1998-99)
  • Columbus Blue Jackets (2000-01)
  • Las Vegas Golden Knights ( 2017-18)
Edited by 6string
  • Cheers 1

Along with the EDs came a greater search for players outside of (mainly) Canada, which led to huge numbers of good players coming into the NHL from the US and Europe. The game has grown with regularly improved equipment and advanced  strategies for player development.  The scouting of players has also progressed.

Most of the (cupless) expansion teams mentioned have had great chances at winning the cup and perhaps one of them just might this year. When a SC game goes to game 7 overtime, anyone can win it.  I am much more concerned about the growing disadvantages for the Canadian teams in the league, what with the weak $, high taxes, gold fish bowl media and less appealing cities.  The best managers, staff, coaches and players tend to choose the more attractive situations.

I don't think the pioneers of the greatest game in sports should be asterisked.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Imo we don't need to asterix history.   People will either understand the history of the Stanley Cup or they won't. 

Are we going to asterix every subsequent era of expansion with an additional asterix - I don't think so.

I would say this. Unfortunately some people will always be ignorant of history and fail to understand the context, but for those of us fortunate enough to have read and learned about hockey history, we'll understand the way hockey and the NHL was when these teams won Cups.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I would say this. Unfortunately some people will always be ignorant of history and fail to understand the context, but for those of us fortunate enough to have read and learned about hockey history, we'll understand the way hockey and the NHL was when these teams won Cups.

Yeah how many know about the leagues history realize that it was actually a bigger joke of a league during those "original six days".  There wasn't even six LEGIT teams during that era.  Look up the history regarding the term "The Norris league".  The Red Wings controlled (either directly or indirectly) the other three American teams.  There's a reason why those other teams (in a 6 team league) won so few cups.  Jeebus, *I* could be a GM and be in charge of a Cup winning team just by chance if there are only really two other competing teams.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

3 hours ago, coastal.view said:

let's also asterix

currency exchange eras

uneven tax jurisdiction eras

pre and post team planes eras

i'm sure there are many other variables that could be added

Why even bother playing for the SC, when you know that eventually...it will have an asterisk?:shock:

If we do that, where does it stop?   If we do that, when do we put an asterix besides Gretzky's or Orr's records?  Yes 6 vs 30 teams is a completely different dynamics...but so is the evolution of goalies equipement and techniques, and also the defensive systems.

History is history.  The original 6 is part of the NHL's heritage, I say leave it alone, doesn't change anything.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, rychicken said:

my feeling about it is that the degrading of pre-1967 cup wins is actual ****

Why though?  As I said, for much of the period, it wasn’t even a six team league but effectively three or at most four teams.  What kind of league is that?

On 4/28/2019 at 11:16 AM, 6string said:

NHL Teams With No Stanley Cups
  • St. Louis Blues (1967-68) ...
  • Buffalo Sabres (1970-71) ...
  • Vancouver Canucks (1970-71) ...
  • San Jose Sharks (1991-92) ...
  • Florida Panthers (1993-94) ...
  • Winnipeg Jets/Phoenix Coyotes (1996-97) ...
  • Nashville Predators (1998-99)
  • Columbus Blue Jackets (2000-01)
  • Las Vegas Golden Knights ( 2017-18)

1979-80 for the Jets/Coyotes

• Cheers 1