The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Lucic says he would like to play here

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

Here's a question...if Edmonton offered this, would you do it?:

To VAN: Milan Lucic (50% retained) + EDM 2nd round pick (38th overall)

To EDM: Granlund or Goldobin

Does Lucic have enough utility as a Pettersson/Hughes protector to want him at $3M for 5 years? That's certainly more affordable than the full $6M. Edmonton doesn't have to trade a TOP pick/prospect, but Vancouver still gets a good one at 38th.

Nope. Not enough from deadmonton to take on that anchor. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Nobody is taking on Lucic (retention or otherwise) without him permanently waiving his NMC. Nobody is going to waste an ED protection slot on him (unless EDM is forced to by keeping him).

Well that’s it! Lucic to Vancouver on the condition he waves his NMC. Don’t protect him in the x-draft. Has less chance of getting taken than being taken. The benefit is Vancouver gets to protect someone else.

(can a player waive their NMC upon getting traded?)

Edited by Me_

39 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Well that’s it! Lucic to Vancouver on the condition he waves his NMC. Don’t protect him in the x-draft. Has less chance of getting taken than being taken. The benefit is Vancouver gets to protect someone else.

Without looking up any exact wording on the subject...

I suspect that how it could go is that the Oilers would trade Lucic to another team, with his permission. Aside from various players, prospects cap space and picks going either way, there would also be a provision in the deal that Lucic would agree to waive the NMC clause of his deal with the new team (there's also a modified NTC clause in the final two years of the current deal which might remain unless he agrees to waive that as well?).

If Lucic fails to sign an agreement to modify his deal to waive the NMC for the remainder of the current contract, then the transaction could be voided by the NHL as all of the conditions have not been met.

Maybe?

regards,  G.

3 hours ago, Me_ said:

Someone quoted the language in the first few pages of the thread.

Apparently the NMC is automatically removed and the parties have to agree to reinstate it.  If that is correct, Lucic would have to waive his NMC to get traded and know that the receiving team wouldn’t agree to it coming back into force. 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Provost said:

Someone quoted the language in the first few pages of the thread.

Apparently the NMC is automatically removed and the parties have to agree to reinstate it.  If that is correct, Lucic would have to waive his NMC to get traded and know that the receiving team wouldn’t agree to it coming back into force. 

If that is true, it sure increases his value slightly as he wouldn’t have to be protected. Onus on him to perform or risk getting taken in the x-draft.

3 hours ago, Me_ said:

If that is true, it sure increases his value slightly as he wouldn’t have to be protected. Onus on him to perform or risk getting taken in the x-draft.

Seattle is not going to want his contract unless a significant asset is offered in return - similar to the deals McPhee did to help out teams close to the cap.  

The NMC is more to protect him from being demoted to the AHL. 

12 hours ago, Me_ said:

It actually increases any acquiring teams leverage at the same time. While it's fantastic that the acquiring team wouldn't have to worry about wasting an ED spot on him, until they move him, EDM still does ::D

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

@ForsbergTheGreat the idea of trading for him and the 8th OA is definitely growing on me... :lol:

If we take on Lucic for 8th OA (assuming we can move Eriksson elsewhere) we could grab one of the forwards at 8 (Boldy/Dach/Turcotte/Krebs etc) and then 'reach' for Seider at 10...this would be a HELL of a good draft.

If we can also add Puljujarvi for reasonable cost.... all the merrier ::D

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

@ForsbergTheGreat the idea of trading for him and the 8th OA is definitely growing on me... :lol:

If we take on Lucic for 8th OA (assuming we can move Eriksson elsewhere) we could grab one of the forwards at 8 (Boldy/Dach/Turcotte/Krebs etc) and then 'reach' for Seider at 10...this would be a HELL of a good draft.

If we can also add Puljujarvi for reasonable cost.... all the merrier ::D

I knew you’d come around. The closer we get to the draft the more appealing those extra first round picks become to fans like us. Even at the cost of taking on a lucic. 

Boldy and a D sounds like a great first round if you ask me. 

16 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I knew you’d come around. The closer we get to the draft the more appealing those extra first round picks become to fans like us. Even at the cost of taking on a lucic. 

I wasn't entirely opposed. But if we're taking on that awful contract :sick:, they gonna PAY.

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I wasn't entirely opposed. But if we're taking on that awful contract :sick:, they gonna PAY.

As they should. And since he has a full NMC and Vancouver appears to be the only team he wants to go to + one of the few teams able to afford taking on that cap. Then we get to dictate a reasonable asking price... and my friend, it’s not going to be cheap like that oilers reporter insists on. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

As they should. And since he has a full NMC and Vancouver appears to be the only team he wants to go to + one of the few teams able to afford taking on that cap. Then we get to dictate a reasonable asking price... and my friend, it’s not going to be cheap like that oilers reporter insists on. 

We could also easily absorb any of their 3 D they also need to cap dump which is nice (if it helps move things along/gain additional assets). And they'd nicely fill holes on short terms (if vastly over priced) that we need to fill anyway. Russell could be our 3rd right D or Sekera/Manning could be our 3rd/4th left D. 

It would be an interesting discussion of what fans would think if that's how Benning chose to 'spend' our cap space as it likely wouldn't leave a lot of room for UFA's. In that scenario. Even if that means burying Eriksson (and likely Lucic) in the minors (if we can't in fact move LE).

But yeah I could get on board for a future top 6 of:

Boldy (or other), Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Puljujarvi

and a future D of

Hughes, Seider

Juolevi, Woo

Rathbone, Stecher

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We could also easily absorb any of their 3 D they also need to cap dump which is nice (if it helps move things along/gain additional assets). And they'd nicely fill holes on short terms (if vastly over priced) that we need to fill anyway. Russell could be our 3rd right D or Sekera/Manning could be our 3rd/4th left D. 

It would be an interesting discussion of what fans would think if that's how Benning chose to 'spend' our cap space as it likely wouldn't leave a lot of room for UFA's. In that scenario. Even if that means burying Eriksson (and likely Lucic) in the minors (if we can't in fact move LE).

But yeah I could get on board for a future top 6 of:

Boldy (or other), Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Puljujarvi

and a future D of

Hughes, Seider

Juolevi, Woo

Rathbone, Stecher

I also wonder if you’d then be able to flip some of those assets to avs for the 4th overall if byram is still there?

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I also wonder if you’d then be able to flip some of those assets to avs for the 4th overall if byram is still there?

Tempting but I don't know if I'd do it. Especially if Seider turns in to this draft's McAvoy. Besides, COL needs a 2C...I'm not sending them Horvat.

Edited by aGENT

58 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It wouldn't align though.  MacIntyre says the Canucks are going to be aggressive in free agency.   If he wants to invest high money in immediate help it sounds unlikely that he would bring in players who could drag the team down.

Isn't this the last year of his deal too.  

11 minutes ago, mll said:

It wouldn't align though.  MacIntyre says the Canucks are going to be aggressive in free agency.   If he wants to invest high money in immediate help it sounds unlikely that he would bring in players who could drag the team down.

No reason we can't do both...

20 minutes ago, aGENT said:

No reason we can't do both...

Benning to MacIntyre on cap space:  “I don’t think it’s as much as people think,” Benning agreed. 

Pettersson and Hughes are on ELCs - combined they can earn combined an additional 5.4M in bonuses on top of their salaries and it counts against the cap.  He probably also tried moving some contracts (Spooner, Schaller) and found no takers and that's going to count against the cap - buyout, retention, demotion.  

Edited by mll

1 minute ago, mll said:

Benning to MacIntyre on cap space:  “I don’t think it’s as much as people think,” Benning agreed. 

Pettersson and Hughes are on ELCs - combined they can earn an additional 5.4M in bonuses on top of their salaries and it counts against the cap.  He probably also tried moving some contracts (Spooner, Schaller) and found no takers and that's going to count against the cap - buyout, retention, demotion.  

Fair point about their bonuses. 

We still could do both though, it just might involve moving out some of Sutter, Tanev and Eriksson (once his bonus is paid) to do so. That would leave us space to potentially take on Lucic (and the associated sweetener) and target UFA(s).

I'm still not sure how inclined Holland will be to pay what it will take to dump Lucic but that's his problem to sort out (or another team if he finds a sucker willing to take less and that Lucic will waive to).

(I'm assuming Schaller and Spooner are both Utica bound personally, they come off in one year either way).

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, mll said:

Cap wise it’s not a huge add, if we’re sending out sutter and granlund caps while taking back lucic manning and puljujarvi. That’s equates to 3-4 million. And manning is in his last year so it’s off the books before EP gets a raise. 

And if we move out LE in a seperate deal that leaves a big net gain in cap space. Which we would allow us to still go big in FA although I’m not sure that’s the route I would take. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Cap wise it’s not a huge add, if we’re sending out sutter and granlund caps while taking back lucic manning and puljujarvi. That’s equates to 3-4 million. And manning is in his last year so it’s off the books before EP gets a raise. 

And if we move out LE in a seperate deal that leaves a big net gain in cap space. Which we would allow us to still go big in FA although I’m not sure that’s the route I would take. 

Not about cap but about objectives for next season.  If Benning wants to be aggressive in free agency it's to improve the team in the immediate.  Adding Lucic doesn't align with that objective.

Benning is at risk of not getting an extension.  His own contractual status could impact his decision making.  The team has to show progress for him to retain his job.  He can't spend X Millions in free agency only to see the team not make the playoffs or even take a step back.  The league is so competitive that I don't see him deliberately weakening the roster.  The Canucks already have enough trouble winning games.

The west was particularly weak this season and it's not certain that the Canucks can improve on their standings.  They actually won less games in regular time than the season before - their additional points came from shootout wins and that's not necessarily replicable year on year.

Edited by mll
  • Like 1