The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 UFA + Teams Cap Room

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, grandmaster said:

If that happens, Lui might retire which would cause us cap hell as per the recapture penalty. 

Lou will show up to camp until he is forced to to retire due to injury.  If we have to we pick up that contract and when he doesn't report to the minors we sever the contract.  Or we go to the courts..there is no way Vancouver just accepts that bull$&!# penalty. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, rekker said:

The Canucks should offer sheet Kapanen. 4.2 million per. Would cost us a second rounder. One of the few Leafs I like.

Not big enough $$ to actually get him IMO and then you're just paying in picks with the $ amount that would actually get him. Far rather we just target Panarin that only costs $ and not picks. But even that's likely a pipe dream.

Honestly, I'd kick tires on the likes of Dzingel, Connolly, Lee etc to see if you could sign any of them to reasonable cap/term (though that's unlikely given how July 1 works) as upgrades on Baer, but otherwise I'd be targeting a couple short term but solid vets like Simmonds at F and Stralman, Polak, Coburn, Methot, Benn etc on D to fill in and keep drafting/developing until the kids are ready to take those guys spots.

Then trade out expiring guys, like Tanev and not-long-term-fit guys like Hutton to fill other holes/add futures either this summer or during the season. I'd also like to see us target a guy like Ceci for cheap out of OTT (maybe even for Eriksson + once his bonus is paid and contract is 'upside down'). Would love to add a guy like Ristolainen via trade but not sure we have the assets to make that happen. So Benning might have to gamble on someone less established.

29 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not big enough $$ to actually get him IMO and then you're just paying in picks with the $ amount that would actually get him. Far rather we just target Panarin that only costs $ and not picks. But even that's likely a pipe dream.

Honestly, I'd kick tires on the likes of Dzingel, Connolly, Lee etc to see if you could sign any of them to reasonable cap/term (though that's unlikely given how July 1 works) as upgrades on Baer, but otherwise I'd be targeting a couple short term but solid vets like Simmonds at F and Stralman, Polak, Coburn, Methot, Benn etc on D to fill in and keep drafting/developing until the kids are ready to take those guys spots.

Then trade out expiring guys, like Tanev and not-long-term-fit guys like Hutton to fill other holes/add futures either this summer or during the season. I'd also like to see us target a guy like Ceci for cheap out of OTT (maybe even for Eriksson + once his bonus is paid and contract is 'upside down'). Would love to add a guy like Ristolainen via trade but not sure we have the assets to make that happen. So Benning might have to gamble on someone less established.

We are on the same page with "the secondary player market" Would love to add Panarin but it's a long shot. I have a feeling Kapanen is ripe for the offer sheet. Fans forget it takes two to tango with these things. Kapanen has to think he would see way more quality ice on another team. If JB thinks we are a far better team next year maybe offer Kapanen 5.5. Costs a first and a third. It may be a later first for next year for the Canucks. Thing with Kapanen over the secondary UFA market is age. The Canucks get a much younger player that fits in nicely. 

1 minute ago, rekker said:

We are on the same page with "the secondary player market" Would love to add Panarin but it's a long shot. I have a feeling Kapanen is ripe for the offer sheet. Fans forget it takes two to tango with these things. Kapanen has to think he would see way more quality ice on another team. If JB thinks we are a far better team next year maybe offer Kapanen 5.5. Costs a first and a third. It may be a later first for next year for the Canucks. Thing with Kapanen over the secondary UFA market is age. The Canucks get a much younger player that fits in nicely. 

We're in no position to be giving up 1sts at this stage. Especially not for less than elite players either (Kapanen's good, but not say, Marner). 

IMO, if Kapanen (or Marner) gets an offer sheet (which is unlikely give how rarely they happen anyway), Dubas either takes the picks or bites the bullet on matching and then trading them for futures and simply uses his now free cap space to target Panarin, Duchene, Conolly, Karlsson etc to replace them.

aGENT,

your thoughts on Connor Brown?

Can see the Maple Leafs being able to retain William Nylander, Andreas Johnsson, Kasperi Kapanen and Mitch Marner. It will likely mean that they’ll need to trade Nazem Kadri, Connor Brown, or convince Patrick Marleau to waive his no-movement clause. Putting Zach Hyman and Travis Dermott on the LTIR at the start of their season will also likely happen.

30 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

aGENT,

Can see the Maple Leafs being able to retain William Nylander, Andreas Johnsson, Kasperi Kapanen and Mitch Marner. It will likely mean that they’ll need to trade Nazem Kadri, Connor Brown, or convince Patrick Marleau to waive his no-movement clause. Putting Zach Hyman and Travis Dermott on the LTIR at the start of their season will also likely happen.

I honestly think there gonna try to move Marleau and maybe even Zaitsev

52 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We're in no position to be giving up 1sts at this stage. Especially not for less than elite players either (Kapanen's good, but not say, Marner). 

IMO, if Kapanen (or Marner) gets an offer sheet (which is unlikely give how rarely they happen anyway), Dubas either takes the picks or bites the bullet on matching and then trading them for futures and simply uses his now free cap space to target Panarin, Duchene, Conolly, Karlsson etc to replace them.

Ya. I can agree on the first for this year. But next years first I would lose for the right player. The only reason I would do it for Kapanen is that it may be a later first, a first you would hope to draft a Kapanen type player with. That first otherwise is still a gamble and may net you a Gaunce or Shinkaruk. I wouldn't trade that first for an aged player but Kapanen would grow with our group and is still a young player. Just spitballing as really our biggest need is D. But Kapanen's speed with Petey would be great. That, and watching the playoffs Kapanen was a Leaf that actually could win a board battle. 

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

aGENT,

Meh, he's ok. He's the dime a dozen, middle 6 winger type that we already have a lot of though and are readily available elsewhere even if we didn't.

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

Ya. I can agree on the first for this year. But next years first I would lose for the right player. The only reason I would do it for Kapanen is that it may be a later first, a first you would hope to draft a Kapanen type player with. That first otherwise is still a gamble and may net you a Gaunce or Shinkaruk. I wouldn't trade that first for an aged player but Kapanen would grow with our group and is still a young player. Just spitballing as really our biggest need is D. But Kapanen's speed with Petey would be great. That, and watching the playoffs Kapanen was a Leaf that actually could win a board battle. 

Yeah...or we could run in to injury troubles an be picking top 5 or 10 again next year. Kap's not worth that risk IMO. Maybe if it was lotto/top 10 protected.

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Meh, he's ok. He's the dime a dozen, middle 6 winger type that we already have a lot of though and are readily available elsewhere even if we didn't.

Yeah...or we could run in to injury troubles an be picking top 5 or 10 again next year. Kap's not worth that risk IMO. Maybe if it was lotto/top 10 protected.

If protected sure. Conner Brown, meh. I agree we some quality, a sniper. 

11 hours ago, rekker said:

Isn't there then the risk that the Canucks own drafted players will want to be overpaid too.  And think that maybe they too should go offersheet hunting if the Canucks are unwilling to meet their own contractual demands.  

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Isn't there then the risk that the Canucks own drafted players will want to be overpaid too.  And think that maybe they too should go offersheet hunting if the Canucks are unwilling to meet their own contractual demands.  

I dont think so. Offer sheets only work if a team is up against the cap. This may have a player feeling he isnt getting the money he deserves. Canucks aren't against the cap. It also takes two to tango. Kapanen is the example of a player who would get more top line minutes in Vancouver vs Toronto so may be more apt to sign the offer. 

One note on our conference rival Colorado:  

They have a lot of cap space and look poised to be a dynasty in the next decade.  They have some very good young talent coming up besides Makar.  Their first round pick from last year is a right winger who had a strong first year in the AHL and they have two very high first round picks this year.  

Colorado will be our main competition in two-three years when we improve, and I'd love to see some teams (maybe even us) offer sheet some of their RFAs.  Here's a list of their main RFAs this year: 

Alex Kerfoot 

Miko Raantannen 

J.T. Compher 

Nikita Zadorov 

Ignoring the fact that they have a few UFAs as well (including Varlamov and Colin Wilson), I'm hoping that they're forced to shell out top dollars and use up a lot of their 37 million available.  

I would strongly consider trying to poach Colin Wilson (UFA) away from them.  He'd fit in nicely on our third line. 

1 hour ago, rekker said:

I dont think so. Offer sheets only work if a team is up against the cap. This may have a player feeling he isnt getting the money he deserves. Canucks aren't against the cap. It also takes two to tango. Kapanen is the example of a player who would get more top line minutes in Vancouver vs Toronto so may be more apt to sign the offer. 

Was not talking of this year - they don't have someone that would interest enough a team for an offer sheet (Boeser is ineligible) but a few years from now they could.  They could be closer to the cap too.  

Kapanen has played a fair bit with Matthews.  He doesn't get PP1 but his EV minutes would put him 4th on the Canucks right behind Pettersson.  

6 hours ago, mll said:

Was not talking of this year - they don't have someone that would interest enough a team for an offer sheet (Boeser is ineligible) but a few years from now they could.  They could be closer to the cap too.  

Kapanen has played a fair bit with Matthews.  He doesn't get PP1 but his EV minutes would put him 4th on the Canucks right behind Pettersson.  

Going forward I just dont see cap issues for the Canucks unless another bad contract is inked. LE and Sutter will be off the books soon enough. Probably a buyout window with the new CBA and that will help. Interesting numbers on Kapanen but I wonder if those are tainted by pre Nylander and post Nylander games played? The eye test seemed to show his quality ice time went down when flamingo boy was back. 

On 5/31/2019 at 7:01 AM, rekker said:

Going forward I just dont see cap issues for the Canucks unless another bad contract is inked. LE and Sutter will be off the books soon enough. Probably a buyout window with the new CBA and that will help. Interesting numbers on Kapanen but I wonder if those are tainted by pre Nylander and post Nylander games played? The eye test seemed to show his quality ice time went down when flamingo boy was back. 

I agree, only way we get screwed with cap space is if Lu retires. Hoping he fails his physical instead. 

• Cheers 1