The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

June 10 2019 Benning Media Availability

Rate this topic

JamesB

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Ya, they only got points.  Who want players winning Art Ross trophies?  :gocan:

Or "Superstars" who cannot bring home a Stanley Cup. Winning a "regular season prize" is nothing without the ultimate prize IMO.

28 minutes ago, the grinder said:

yes I get that and I totally like peteys 2 way game  as you have more success playing in both ends of rink , good forecheck  create turnovers and pressuing the puck .I was more referring to timara fan  who said travis green was a bad coach for making petey  back check and hitting people and then said  who else backs checks and goes for loose pucks on the team  to which I replied everyone  ( except for loui as another  poster fixed it for me )   and I suggested he watch some hockey because of his many ridiculous post   

Oh I know I was totally agreeing with you and was just adding to your idea. I don't know why others can't see the difference in these type of players. Peter Forsberg was the epitemy of what an "all round" player should look like and there are very few who possess all of those attributes. Bo is pretty close to being that type of player.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Really? Sourcing forums for ideas is common. I have read many posts here that ended up being content on various shows, some posters more than others.

A forum sometimes feeds trends of fan attitudes sort of like a big polls only with open thoughts to comment on.

Just look at the show 65o just did, trade Virtanen, Julievi and the Canucks #1 for Ghost. That has to come from a controversial forum topic as there is no way that player is worth three 1rst round picks, it is so wrong in so many ways the least of which is  the odds that one of the three traded shine or worse all three become regular players that the Canucks could have used down the road. But it got attention even if negative which usually give more ideas for shows than agreeing to everything  

:P

Edited by Timråfan

On 6/12/2019 at 11:26 PM, theo5789 said:

The Vrbata, Miller and Eriksson signings were done to try and extend the life of the Sedins. They were not done with the intention of rebuilding as that wasn't the plan when Benning first arrived. At least Miller held the fort long enough for Markstrom to figure things out and become the goalie he is today, so I would contribute that partially to a rebuild if it wasn't even the plan.

As for the trades, Benning has made plenty of trades during the "rebuild" phase that indeed has contributed to a rebuild (eg Burrows, Hansen, Vanek, and even Bieksa and Garrison were all moved for future help). Gudbranson was suppose to be the "police" to protect the young guys, but the experiment didn't work and he moved on to find Pearson who looks to have slotted in with our young guy Bo quite well. Sutter was an Ironman prior to joining us and no one would be predicted that he would be as brittle as he is today. Sutter if healthy would've been an excellent 3rd line center (although I think the Canucks were maybe hoping he would get 2nd line looks when they brought him in) who would've taken the hard minutes to allow the youth to develop without being throw to the wolves.

We were quite a bad team over a 3 year period, but that's what a rebuild entails. We could've just hung around mediocrity and not have drafted some of our key core pieces. Many have advocated tanking and that coexists with being a bottom team for a duration. 3 years is hardly rough compared to how some other teams have fared. We have trended up in the last 3 seasons despite being so "poor" and were fighting for a wild card spot almost to the end of the season last year. The team is right where I expect them to be and there's still such a large influx of youth that could still be added. Edmonton and Buffalo are a couple of prime examples that bottom feeding teams may have an easy time picking out talent, but building a team takes more.

Could Benning have done better in some deals? Sure, but like I said, every GM will have made some mistakes. The big blockbuster trades aren't always available and we didn't have the pieces to make them anyway. I look at the team today and I feel much more excited and confident about us moving forward than I did at the start of this "rebuild".

You're rephrasing what was said earlier. 

Spin it how you like but did he give up picks and let assets wither to make the team competitive right away?  Yes.

Result?  Worst team in the league over 3 years.