The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

June 10 2019 Benning Media Availability

Rate this topic

JamesB

Just now, mpt said:

Right the same contract plus one year, and a lot more valuable then keeping LE

Milan has a NMC, so he must take a roster spot (unless injured) and he must be protected in expansion draft.  LE can be sent to Utica, and need not be protected in expansion.  

36 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Milan has a NMC, so he must take a roster spot (unless injured) and he must be protected in expansion draft.  LE can be sent to Utica, and need not be protected in expansion.  

Not a big deal when we only have 3 players worth protecting.  No way LE ever goes to Utica, same with Lucic, they will always have a role somewhere, sending LE down to Utica and then having his salary on the cap plus his replacement on the cap will never happen.

• Wat 1

8 hours ago, the grinder said:

lol yep    one thing  of it all  lol  ya it had nothing to do with the nhl grind  at all , had nothing to do playing against every team top line and d pair , remember you said its all travis green fault so what is it then  ?  mental fatigue , psychology back checking getting hit bad coaching   hmm or is it spin doctoring.

ranting  lol I just pointed out flaws  in your reasoning  or did you just say rant  to put more of a spin on it  hmmm

ps canuck management please send me a new jersey as I am influencing and spin doctoring on behalf of the canucks  ty  prefer the black skate one 

Travis should have kept him from trying to hit player deliberately, during his rookie season. 

Why is that so strange? 

A young, not so muschled rookie waste his energy on backchecking when he is a monster going forward. 

8 hours ago, oldnews said:

I have a hard time believing you didn't understand the point.

Well, abbrevations in a foreign language can be hard especially as you didn't highligt what you changed. 

Alright, take this forum. People has been on Louis back for a long time.

The swedish journalist has probably read this and other forums. 

Put those two meanings together and you know why the journalist talked to Loui in the first place. And an intelligent journalist with an agenda is tough to handle when you're an honest person.

The journalist was after the drama so he could have his headline. 

This is something Benning should know and put focus on at the same time he defends Loui And Green. 

Benning is a GM in a large organisation. He is paid to be diplomatic. Loui is paid to be a hockeyplayer. 

Next, Petey likes Loui. Petey "defended" Loui in a way(during pre-WC games) that shows that Petey cares about him and is sad that Loui is in the position when fans hate. 

It means that every single $&!# that happens to Loui that is unfair will be something that sits in Peteys head. Just as the issue with Dahlen probably did. Petey seems to be compassionate. 

It's a real problem when fans don't know how their behaviour affects their own players/team. And wich players the club will attract in the future. 

Edited by Timråfan

14 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

actually he was doing more things like effectually back checking and positioning himself well, I don't recall him going around and doing much hitting. 

Petey's choice my friend and he showed himself to be a potentially great player. 

He lost the puck many times at the end of the season. It seemed as he thought about everything else but hockey. 

Do you remember a sequence where Petey hit a player, reacted strange and instantly went to the bench?

I think the other team scored after Petey disappeared? 

On 6/10/2019 at 5:03 PM, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

To van:

28+36+ 37

To carolina:

10+ 133

Interesting proposal.

Based on some of the pick value work done by stats people (looking at factors like draft pick likelihood of success and expected GAR), this would be a significant win for Vancouver, yielding a return on investment of between 25-50% (ie: picks 28+36+37 are probably worth 125-150% of the value of picks 10+133).

However, I suspect popular opinion would deem this trade a loser, given how top-10 picks are generally valued.

We just don’t see trades like this happen in the NHL. And Benning isn’t really the type of GM to make such a bold move, going against years of tradition and conventional wisdom (even if he were armed with powerful evidence that he’d win the trade on value).

It’d also be a hard sell to Canucks fans, during any draft, never mind one held in our home barn, that we should trade a #10 pick and drop back 18 spots before making our first selection.

It’s one of those proposals that is an intriguing hypothetical, but not much more than that.

Similar idea to a “crazy” one I’ve suggested in the past. A forward-thinking GM (especially one in the middle of a long term rebuild plan) would actually be wise to trade their entire slate of Day 2 draft picks (ie: all their picks from rounds 2-7), for picks in the following draft year. Just because “next year” picks are hugely underrated by most GMs, and they will hand them out like candy (often paying nearly 2:1), for picks they can use today.

EDIT: Further to the above, a very interesting project a GM could undertake (purely hypothetical, of course) would be to pursue such a plan (trading current year rounds 2-7 picks for future picks) over several drafts. Start the process at the beginning of a contending phase, with a young core in place, and some prospects already in the system. Sell picks from rounds 2-7 over three seasons, accumulating a horde of 50+ Day 2 picks by year 4. At the point, a rebuild is likely appearing on the near horizon (but still a few years off yet), given that the young core would just be entering peak years and the start of their decline phase. From that point on, draft ~25 players each year in rounds 2-7, and trade ~25 picks (of the 50+) for picks in future drafts (which would ensure the same 50+ picks were available in successive drafts). Continue the process annually, and in only a few years, the team could build up a such a prospect pipeline as never seen before in this league, and basically have an entire team worth of young players in place in the system, ready to come online just in time for the next rebuild. Of course, at some point I’d expect the other GMs would clue in and stop trading their future picks (or at least not give them away at the same value), but I’m genuinely curious how long a team could get away with this before the rest of the league actually realized they were being taken advantage of? Of course, the 90 player reserve limit would become an issue (if a team were adding draft rights to 25 new prospects each year), but they could mitigate some of this by selling off surplus picks and prospects, and selling veterans once the decline phase hit, thereby only holding onto the absolute cream of the crop of the young players/prospects, once reserve limits really started to become a factor. I know this is all “crazy talk” but it’s fun to think about anyway. ;) 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

3 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Well, abbrevations in a foreign language can be hard especially as you didn't highligt what you changed. 

Put those two meanings together and you know why the journalist talked to Loui in the first place. And an intelligent journalist with an agenda is tough to handle when you're an honest person.

This is something Benning should know and put focus on at the same time he defends Loui And Green. 

Benning is a GM in a large organisation. He is paid to be diplomatic. Loui is paid to be a hockeyplayer. 

Next, Petey likes Loui. Petey "defended" Loui in a way(during pre-WC games) that shows that Petey cares about him and is sad that Loui is in the position when fans hate. 

It means that every single $&!# that happens to Loui that is unfair will be something that sits in Peteys head. Just as the issue with Dahlen probably did. Petey seems to be compassionate. 

It's a real problem when fans don't know how their behaviour affects their own players/team. And wich players the club will attract in the future. 

Without paying fans players do not get to live the lifestyle they do.

Fans are entitled to opinions other than yours. You may be being a bit too sensitive and making far too many suppositions. 

Petey and LE are men, it’s unlikely they read posts here or anywhere online and cry.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, mpt said:

Right the same contract plus one year, and a lot more valuable then keeping LE

Not the same contract at all.   With expansion draft, they are ENTIRELY different contracts.   LE being a Canuck and ML being a Canuck need have no relationship whatsoever.

12 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Fans are entitled to opinions other than yours. You may be being a bit too sensitive and making far too many suppositions. 

Petey and LE are men, it’s unlikely they read posts here or anywhere online and cry.

While most of these guys are fans, it is a job for them.  They likely don't spend any team reading this sort of stuff.

I seriously doubt that the foreign journalists are either.

I think Benning took it with about the appropriate amount of seriousness.  He will talk to Louie at some point when he is not in the middle of something more important and likely realizes that a lot of those quotes require context and some of the comments were probably more an issue with translation.

Besides his statements at their worst interpretation are pretty bland and not terribly inflammatory.  He never says anything bad about Green, just that they don't seem to be on the same page.  A player complaining about ice time isn't even a story and usually managements response is simple, "earn it."

On 6/10/2019 at 7:54 PM, mll said:

Who would have Horvat been playing with if the Canucks had not traded for Baertschi?  

Canucks were right up to the cap - Prust, Cracknell, Higgins, Burrows, Dorsett, Vey, Vrbata, Hansen, rookie Virtanen were the other wing options.   The following season replace Prust with Skille who did play a fair bit with Horvat-Baertschi before Burrows took his spot.

Sutter was acquired to be a C2. He was described as stuck behind Crosby/Malkin and had more offence to bring.  He was even playing on PP1 or on the Sedins wing.  WD saw Horvat as a shutdown C.  He said he played Baertschi with Horvat because Baertschi was struggling to find his offence but his defensive game was solid, so he could use him with Horvat to shutdown the other team.  They somehow found a way to click offensively and WD then separated them explaining that Baertschi was taking Horvat off his game because Sven was an offensive player and Horvat was better suited to play with defensive wingers.  He even started Horvat the following season on the 4th line with Dorsett-Burrows.  

It would depend on who they drafted.

52 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Why crying? 

And where have I said fans are not entitled to opinions? 

I say there is consequenses to what fans talk about and some might try to understand a bit more than just how a player perform on the ice. 

Why do fans pay money if they want their team to do a worse job on the ice? Do they pay just to speak out on forums and get a clap on the back? 

6 hours ago, Timråfan said:

He lost the puck many times at the end of the season. It seemed as he thought about everything else but hockey. 

Do you remember a sequence where Petey hit a player, reacted strange and instantly went to the bench?

I think the other team scored after Petey disappeared? 

no I must have missed that one.

I see it this way - sure if Petey was totally sheltered maybe be gets 85 points. But instead, now Green knows Petey can be trusted in all situations. Thats pretty amazing for a rookie and well worth the cost in points. We weren't going to make the playoffs either way. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I see it this way - sure if Petey was totally sheltered maybe be gets 85 points. But instead, now Green knows Petey can be trusted in all situations. Thats pretty amazing for a rookie and well worth the cost in points. We weren't going to make the playoffs either way. 

Petey is compared to Peter Forsberg, because of his complete and hyper compete game.  Forsberg is one of the best ever.  That's very high praise for Petey.  

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Petey is compared to Peter Forsberg, because of his complete and hyper compete game.  Forsberg is one of the best ever.  That's very high praise for Petey.  

Petey was so much fun to watch in all situations. He proved a lot in one shortened season. If we can get him a legit LW then he can really light it up. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Timråfan said:

I don't have a problem with Eriksson - or his comments - no hate for him and don't really care that much - I'm simply pointing out that it was his own comments to a journalist that initiated this - the drama does not originate from neither Benning nor Green.  I think that much is pretty obvious.  I think you're overdramatizing the 'effects' of fan opinion. 

Eriksson has been utilized as he's earned in Vancouver - it has nothing to do with Green under or mis-utilizing him - Eriksson has been spotty and inconsistent at best.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

We can agree about the amazing bit. :)

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't have a problem with Eriksson - or his comments - no hate for him and don't really care that much - I'm simply pointing out that it was his own comments to a journalist that initiated this - the drama does not originate from neither Benning nor Green.  I think that much is pretty obvious.  I think you're overdramatizing the 'effects' of fan opinion. 

Eriksson has been utilized as he's earned in Vancouver - it has nothing to do with Green under or mis-utilizing him - Eriksson has been spotty and inconsistent at best.

People underestimate what sources journalists have. Fan forum is perfect to find angles/insights you can't find anywhere else.