The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

June 10 2019 Benning Media Availability

Rate this topic

JamesB

11 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

So why is SHL players 20% better in points than AHL players? 

If AHL was better to prepare the players they should get more points. 

I think SHL is better in a creative way. So much better that the difference in rink size, toughness doesn't add up.

Sorry, I don't understand the 20 point difference thing.  I do agree that the top players in the SHL (the young ones for sure) are better than the guys in the AHL.  I just believe the depth of player in the AHL is better, which makes for a more competitive league.  

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sorry, I don't understand the 20 point difference thing.  I do agree that the top players in the SHL (the young ones for sure) are better than the guys in the AHL.  I just believe the depth of player in the AHL is better, which makes for a more competitive league.  

Players from AHL make 0,47 point per game when they start in NHL

SHL had 0,56 and KHL over 0,7 ppg. 

KHL is by far the best league after NHL and russians are tough from birth. So the competitive and tough side of KHL is probably good for NHL. 

2 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

KHL is by far the best league after NHL and russians are tough from birth. So the competitive and tough side of KHL is probably good for NHL. 

Oh I see.  Thanks for the explanation.  I think those numbers support what I said about the top (young) players in the SHL being better than the guys in the AHL.  However, after the top guys, the level of player drops off a lot in the SHL.  The AHL has a lot more good players, who aren't NHL players, but are better than those in the SHL, except the top young ones.  

I think the KHL is an okay league, but not as good as the SHL.  Any league with Linden Vey and Phillip Larssen are superstars can't be a very good league.  

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

EP40 is 20 years old. 

He's 6'2" and 176 Lbs. 

And still had 42 hits last season. On top of his 66 points. 

He's going to fill out, and get stronger the older he gets. 

In addition, he's going to get smarter, understanding how things work in the NHL with experience. 

The best is yet to come! 

I agree. He has all the attributes needed to be a Pro. He has exceptional talent, a strong desire to win and a high compete level. This along with the desire to always try to get better is why he will be a superstar in the NHL and I foresee him being BETTER then the Sedins as he will be a better all round player. The best is truly yet to come!::D

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Good post, try to look a step further instead of mocking and use memes instead of words.

Why can't you and I have different opinions regarding Green and Benning? Why must I think they are good just to satisfie you? 

I get paid to post.   Remember.   That is the difference.   

If you care to even look, you will note that there are a small handful of posters (quite small as some use more than one name), who are here for agendas and it is fun to joust with them as it is so transparently obvious by their posts that they have no interest in constructive discussion, critical or otherwise, let alone being genuine in their debates.   You have made that list.   Well done.   :)

Anyway, excuse me while I go and cash my latest "Canuck supporter" cheque.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

Taking your example to an extreme would mean there should be no goalies in the league, because not enough points.

Did I make my point?

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

This "he is so tough" stuff is a myth.   Sure he is big and can hit but how much does this help?  How effective would he really be at protecting his teammates is the point.  THere are several examples but Canuck fans will remember that he was on the ice when Matt Cooke essentially ended Marc Savard’s career.    He did nothing.  Would Lucic being on the ice have prevented Michael Matheson being an idiot with Elias Pettersson or the crap elbow to Sven Baertschi's head?    

LE was one of league's leaders in PK stats.   Overpaid for that role but at least had a strong contributing role.   Lucic is a shadow of the player he is being paid for and the "tough" stuff people seem to think is still part of his game really isn't the deterrent people think it is.

Better check yourself Rob, you are starting to sound like me. 

I think what you said there is true for any goon now. It is the myth of Guddy that was spouted so often on this board, “he wouldn’t dare to do that if Guddy was on the ice.”  Total BS. 

The play in the NHL is so fast. Nobody is looking around to see who else is on the ice before delivering a big or dirty hit. The game is just too fast.  These things happen in the flow of play. 

Some of the after the whistle stuff may be mitigated but not by much. 

Besides, by the time Lucic gets there everything is over. 

Benning should not be looking at Lucic at all. Getting rid of Louie great but not for Lucic, that is just doubling down on your mistake. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I think there is a really big confounding variable here in that the non-stars in the NHL more often come up through the AHL. The tendency for European pros is to stay in Europe if they are not in the top tier of players.  This is especially true for the KHL players. 

8 hours ago, Timråfan said:

First, Petey could have had stamina for the whole season if he played as he used to do. Then, in the off season Green tells more about how he wants Petey to play. Then he has the whole summer to work hard to sustain over 80 games. 

It's pretty logical.. You saw the result yourself. Petey didn't last the whole season due to all the back checking and unnecessary hits that takes a lot of energy if not muscled for it. 

If the team forecheck and leave the goali and maybe one in defence it isn't good at all. If the team forechecks like that they need to shift to defence immediately when losing the puck. If they canvt they have to build from defence til they're good enough to attack aggressively. 

But Green and Benning got what they wanted... No play offs this past season. With better defence it's no doubt we would have reached the play offs.

lol  logic is something you don't just get again  , read your post out loud  ,  petey could of had stamina for the season if he played like he used too , lol ok shl plays twice a week maybe 50 games a season and takes a bus , no time zones to cross   unlike the nhl  which plays 84 games plus pre season plays almost every second day crossing time zones  flying everywhere  hmm maybe that's has some to do with fatigue as you say  , second do you think other team don't notice petey in the 2nd half of the season .? don't think that had to do something with so called fatigue,   

so you think petey didn't last the whole season due to back checking and taking hits ? its called the game of hockey. you seriously think travis green or any coach would tell player x don't backcheck because your going to fatigue( geez that sounded stupid just typing that )  that's what I want a hear a coach yell during a game    petey don't back check  I told you a thousand times don't enter the defensive zone  lmao   as for your forecheck scheme  lol    a four man forecheck  never heard of that one   4 guys chasing the puck lol  yep we didn't make the playoffs but we were close better than most predicted  not bad for year 2 of a rebuild  ps the years before were a retool as per ownership         signed canucks spindoctor/ influencer  / bening supporter unless it free agents and signing luicic / get rid of ericsson  the whiner / long time fan 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, the grinder said:

lol  logic is something you don't just get again  , read your post out loud  ,  petey could of had stamina for the season if he played like he used too , lol ok shl plays twice a week maybe 50 games a season and takes a bus , no time zones to cross   unlike the nhl  which plays 84 games plus pre season plays almost every second day crossing time zones  flying everywhere  hmm maybe that's has some to do with fatigue as you say  , second do you think other team don't notice petey in the 2nd half of the season .? don't think that had to do something with so called fatigue,   

so you think petey didn't last the whole season due to back checking and taking hits ? its called the game of hockey. you seriously think travis green or any coach would tell player x don't backcheck because your going to fatigue( geez that sounded stupid just typing that )  that's what I want a hear a coach yell during a game    petey don't back check  I told you a thousand times don't enter the defensive zone  lmao   as for your forecheck scheme  lol    a four man forecheck  never heard of that one   4 guys chasing the puck lol  yep we didn't make the playoffs but we were close better than most predicted  not bad for year 2 of a rebuild  ps the years before were a retool as per ownership         signed canucks spindoctor/ influencer  / bening supporter unless it free agents and signing luicic / get rid of ericsson  the whiner / long time fan 

I think I'll answer one thing of it all... The other teams knew how he played after the first week. But when he loose focus, it happened a few things around the period when he started to produce less wich is more about psychology, mental fatigue. 

Keep on ranting... 

I think I'll answer one thing of it all... The other teams knew how he played after the first week. But when he loose focus, it happened a few things around the period when he started to produce less wich is more about psychology, mental fatigue. 

Keep on ranting... 

lol yep    one thing  of it all  lol  ya it had nothing to do with the nhl grind  at all , had nothing to do playing against every team top line and d pair , remember you said its all travis green fault so what is it then  ?  mental fatigue , psychology back checking getting hit bad coaching   hmm or is it spin doctoring.

ranting  lol I just pointed out flaws  in your reasoning  or did you just say rant  to put more of a spin on it  hmmm

ps canuck management please send me a new jersey as I am influencing and spin doctoring on behalf of the canucks  ty  prefer the black skate one cheers

• Haha 3

On 6/11/2019 at 1:23 PM, Tomatoes11 said:

The bold part is clear as night and day he meant more terrible trades in the vein of Forsling for Clendenning or Kassian and a pick for Prust.

how does that hysteria serve you in everyday life?

8 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

This "he is so tough" stuff is a myth.   Sure he is big and can hit but how much does this help?  How effective would he really be at protecting his teammates is the point.  THere are several examples but Canuck fans will remember that he was on the ice when Matt Cooke essentially ended Marc Savard’s career.    He did nothing.  Would Lucic being on the ice have prevented Michael Matheson being an idiot with Elias Pettersson or the crap elbow to Sven Baertschi's head?    

LE was one of league's leaders in PK stats.   Overpaid for that role but at least had a strong contributing role.   Lucic is a shadow of the player he is being paid for and the "tough" stuff people seem to think is still part of his game really isn't the deterrent people think it is.

Corsi numbers support Lucic > LE; intangibles support Lucic.

Would Matheson hit still occur?  Maybe, but then Lucic would run over Barkov or Huberdeau etc.  After a couple times, the players would stop.  Much like how Wilson in Washington works or especially how Tootoo worked in Nashville.  

Is it worth Kassian running over Boeser if he knows Lucic will try to run over McDavid.  Its not about fighting, that is out of the league, but revenge is another topic that still very much exists.  You take out our guy, we’ll take out yours.  Lucic will bring that.  I never said Lucic is tough, yet he is tough, being tough and fighting again are very different things.  Can Lucic take a beating and misses only Ike 3 games a year over his entire career.  Can you say the same about Eriksson?  Who plays a more physical injury prone game?  Lucic, yet he’s durable and must play through a lot of aches and pains, that is toughness and he has it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mpt said:

Corsi numbers support Lucic > LE; intangibles support Lucic.

Would Matheson hit still occur?  Maybe, but then Lucic would run over Barkov or Huberdeau etc.  After a couple times, the players would stop.  Much like how Wilson in Washington works or especially how Tootoo worked in Nashville.  

Is it worth Kassian running over Boeser if he knows Lucic will try to run over McDavid.  Its not about fighting, that is out of the league, but revenge is another topic that still very much exists.  You take out our guy, we’ll take out yours.  Lucic will bring that.  I never said Lucic is tough, yet he is tough, being tough and fighting again are very different things.  Can Lucic take a beating and misses only Ike 3 games a year over his entire career.  Can you say the same about Eriksson?  Who plays a more physical injury prone game?  Lucic, yet he’s durable and must play through a lot of aches and pains, that is toughness and he has it.

Contract is horrible.   That alone tips the scales.