The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

June 10 2019 Benning Media Availability

Rate this topic

JamesB

2 hours ago, Timråfan said:

First, Petey could have had stamina for the whole season if he played as he used to do. Then, in the off season Green tells more about how he wants Petey to play. Then he has the whole summer to work hard to sustain over 80 games. 

It's pretty logical.. You saw the result yourself. Petey didn't last the whole season due to all the back checking and unnecessary hits that takes a lot of energy if not muscled for it. 

If the team forecheck and leave the goali and maybe one in defence it isn't good at all. If the team forechecks like that they need to shift to defence immediately when losing the puck. If they canvt they have to build from defence til they're good enough to attack aggressively. 

But Green and Benning got what they wanted... No play offs this past season. With better defence it's no doubt we would have reached the play offs.

I think you're missing the point completely. Petey didn't want to play as he used to in the SHL, he wanted to push himself to be more. I'm not sure why you're hating on Green for that vs. commending Petey for wanting to be a complete player?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think you're missing the point completely. Petey didn't want to play as he used to in the SHL, he wanted to push himself to be more. I'm not sure why you're hating on Green for that vs. commending Petey for wanting to be a complete player?

So true JM.  The Swedish league is a good league, but it's not even close the NHL, or even the AHL for competition.  Petey was easily the best player in Sweden, and now he wants to prove he's the best player in the NHL.  I like that desire to be the best in Petey.  He has the tools and the spirit to be the best, and Green is helping him get there. 

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

So true JM.  The Swedish league is a good league, but it's not even close the NHL, or even the AHL for competition.  Petey was easily the best player in Sweden, and now he wants to prove he's the best player in the NHL.  I like that desire to be the best in Petey.  He has the tools and the spirit to be the best, and Green is helping him get there. 

I think what angry fan is missing is Green didn't tell Petey to play a certain way, Petey showed he could do it so Green let him. There's a big difference between letting a player demonstrate his skills vs. pushing someone too far. Green didn't do that.

It wasn't all conditioning either, teams just zero'd in on Petey and he had to face tough match-ups. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm not hating, I think it's a bad decision. 

1. Petey could have made more points wich had got more fans to the club and Vancouver shines in record books. 

2. We could have reached the play offs. 

Petey is young. Why not let him turn slowly into a 200foot player? 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

AHL is lesser tha SHL. Or is it a certain aspect of the game you think AHL is better on? 

Pointwise it's a fact that SHL is better. 

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

1. Petey could have made more points wich had got more fans to the club and Vancouver shines in record books. 

but you are discounting that Petey said himself he wants to play a 200' game. I'm very impressed with that, it shows what kind of character he has. So he burned out a little, who cares? he's a gem. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/11/2019 at 11:54 PM, mpt said:

I disagree.  7th in hits, better corsi stats, less ice time, better leadership, less whining.  Eriksson gives us nothing we don’t already have, Lucic brings us everything we don’t have.  Hands down Lucic makes us more complete.  Does his contract suck?  Oh yea it does, but so does Eriksson’s but Lucic gives us something unique where as Eriksson gives us more of the same.

This "he is so tough" stuff is a myth.   Sure he is big and can hit but how much does this help?  How effective would he really be at protecting his teammates is the point.  THere are several examples but Canuck fans will remember that he was on the ice when Matt Cooke essentially ended Marc Savard’s career.    He did nothing.  Would Lucic being on the ice have prevented Michael Matheson being an idiot with Elias Pettersson or the crap elbow to Sven Baertschi's head?    

LE was one of league's leaders in PK stats.   Overpaid for that role but at least had a strong contributing role.   Lucic is a shadow of the player he is being paid for and the "tough" stuff people seem to think is still part of his game really isn't the deterrent people think it is.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

You are comedic genius!    I also not, as I am apparently being paid to say this, that you are correct, Green purposely wanted EP40 to fail and even though the kid set Vancouver rookie point total record (which Green was furious about), at least the plot by Green and the coaching staff to miss the playoffs was fulfilled.   

The push by Benning and Green to limit the potential of the players, reduce the fanbase and pay operatives to log into the forums to sell their plan to unsuspecting people has been exposed.

Sigh.   Guess I will need to find another job.    

• Haha 1

What is hilarious, is if you go back to the early pressers with Green regarding Petey. He said he didn't need to have  those conversations (talks he was having with other players on aspects of their game). He said Petey's attention to detail on the defensive side of the puck was incedibly impressive and that was one of many things he didn't need to coach into him. 

Petey wants to be a complete 200 ft player!!! He wans to play great at both ends. Just like every player in the league. Watch the draft and see how many kids say they are, or want to be a 200 ft player when they are interviewed.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

36464094.jpg

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but you are discounting that Petey said himself he wants to play a 200' game. I'm very impressed with that, it shows what kind of character he has. So he burned out a little, who cares? he's a gem. 

Petey is young and needs an intelligent mentor. Petey is clearly not muscled to go around hitting people... Why rush? 

6 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

36464094.jpg

Keep up with the non intelligent, comedian style. 

You can write interesting answers that show that you understand what I'm talking about and can elaborate. But instead you're only interested in mocking posts. 

At least you show you can use memes. 

53 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

This "he is so tough" stuff is a myth.   Sure he is big and can hit but how much does this help?  How effective would he really be at protecting his teammates is the point.  THere are several examples but Canuck fans will remember that he was on the ice when Matt Cooke essentially ended Marc Savard’s career.    He did nothing.  Would Lucic being on the ice have prevented Michael Matheson being an idiot with Elias Pettersson or the crap elbow to Sven Baertschi's head?    

LE was one of league's leaders in PK stats.   Overpaid for that role but at least had a strong contributing role.   Lucic is a shadow of the player he is being paid for and the "tough" stuff people seem to think is still part of his game really isn't the deterrent people think it is.

Good post, try to look a step further instead of mocking and use memes instead of words.

Why can't you and I have different opinions regarding Green and Benning? Why must I think they are good just to satisfie you? 

EP40 is 20 years old. 

He's 6'2" and 176 Lbs. 

And still had 42 hits last season. On top of his 66 points. 

He's going to fill out, and get stronger the older he gets. 

In addition, he's going to get smarter, understanding how things work in the NHL with experience. 

The best is yet to come! 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Petey is young and needs an intelligent mentor. Petey is clearly not muscled to go around hitting people... Why rush? 

actually he was doing more things like effectually back checking and positioning himself well, I don't recall him going around and doing much hitting. 

Petey's choice my friend and he showed himself to be a potentially great player. 

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

AHL is lesser tha SHL. Or is it a certain aspect of the game you think AHL is better on? 

Pointwise it's a fact that SHL is better. 

the compete in the AHL is higher than the SHL.  Smaller ice makes for a faster and higher compete game.  Plus, the players are (as a whole) better.  

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

the compete in the AHL is higher than the SHL.  Smaller ice makes for a faster and higher compete game.  Plus, the players are (as a whole) better.  

So why is SHL players 20% better in points than AHL players? 

If AHL was better to prepare the players they should get more points. 

I think SHL is better in a creative way. So much better that the difference in rink size, toughness doesn't add up.