The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

June 10 2019 Benning Media Availability

Rate this topic

JamesB

1 hour ago, mpt said:

I disagree.  7th in hits, better corsi stats, less ice time, better leadership, less whining.  Eriksson gives us nothing we don’t already have, Lucic brings us everything we don’t have.  Hands down Lucic makes us more complete.  Does his contract suck?  Oh yea it does, but so does Eriksson’s but Lucic gives us something unique where as Eriksson gives us more of the same.

There are only 2 players in this league I truly hate.  Lucic and Marchand.  If one wins the cup and the other comes to Vancouver and the team I love... then I will finally know for sure, that I am cursed.  The teams and players I cheer for are doomed never to win a championship and instead are on this earth to slowly chip away at my soul.  

Despite this, I have to agree that Lucic does bring things the Canucks don't have and need.  

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Sorry, I've chatted a bit on a few forums and that this forum, as almost every forum, has trolls dedicated to stir the pot is a certainty. 

And why talk abut bashing the Canucks? 

I bash Green for not speak up what he is doing with all the strange decisions. I'm not satisfied with the"team is rebulding". Benning you see in this thread why I bash him..

Are they the Canucks or are the player the Canucks? 

For me the players is the heart of the team and if you, the fans, bash players constantly, how the heck can you expect loyalty back? 

And joke all you want over influencers but the world is full of them. 

So either your really dumb or protecting your asset. 

out of curiosity what strange things has travis green done??  hold players accountable  , bench loui  , your not satisfied with the rebuild  ?  news flash the rebuild has been only 2 years , ,   owner ship wanted a retool first and then decided to rebuild 2 years ago , blame ownership   not benning ,  ps  where is jim benning I don't see him in this thread   jim jim  if you see this please don't trade for luic   and stay away from the fa  ok jim   hope that influences you jimmy

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, the grinder said:

out of curiosity what strange things has travis green done??  hold players accountable  , bench loui  , your not satisfied with the rebuild  ?  news flash the rebuild has been only 2 years , ,   owner ship wanted a retool first and then decided to rebuild 2 years ago , blame ownership   not benning ,  ps  where is jim benning I don't see him in this thread   jim jim  if you see this please don't trade for luic   and stay away from the fa  ok jim   hope that influences you jimmy

I'm not satisfied with how he let players/goalies hang out to dry with his aggressive forechecking with almost no defence. Players like Pouliot, Gudbranson, Markström. 

His coaching of Petey wasn`t great either. Tell him to play a 200 foot game as a rookie. Talk about bring forth fatigue. Why not save the 200 foot game til the sophamore season?

• Haha 1
  • Wat 3

6 hours ago, Timråfan said:

I'm not satisfied with how he let players/goalies hang out to dry with his aggressive forechecking with almost no defence. Players like Pouliot, Gudbranson, Markström. 

His coaching of Petey wasn`t great either. Tell him to play a 200 foot game as a rookie. Talk about bring forth fatigue. Why not save the 200 foot game til the sophamore season?

Stick to soccer bud. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Maybe that sounds normal in your first language. But it makes no sense in english for what its worth.

Actually it’s a very common English phrase. It means that many fans on this board are super short sighted in their views and don’t think long term.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Actually it’s a very common English phrase. It means that many fans on this board are super short sighted in their views and don’t think long term.

I’m having trouble understanding this idiom; I guess I can’t see the forest for all the trees? :frantic:

Edited by Alflives
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Sorry, I've chatted a bit on a few forums and that this forum, as almost every forum, has trolls dedicated to stir the pot is a certainty

And why talk abut bashing the Canucks? 

I bash Green for not speak up what he is doing with all the strange decisions. I'm not satisfied with the"team is rebulding". Benning you see in this thread why I bash him..

Are they the Canucks or are the player the Canucks? 

For me the players is the heart of the team and if you, the fans, bash players constantly, how the heck can you expect loyalty back? 

And joke all you want over influencers but the world is full of them. 

So either your really dumb or protecting your asset. 

Trolls could be those that create conflicting opinions just to make arguments. Some are labeled trolls but are not, they just have a position and argument that is consistent and in many cases facts that can support their position. Influencers ARE a reality, two elections were manipulated by influencers and the plans are now known of how to do so and the threshold needed to sway opinions. Influencers might put out false news like how good the team is losing, promoting how good a team item is while the rest of the league isn't in agreement.

In this forum, owned by the NHL and the Canucks, monitored by Canucks staff why would they not want to "manage" the message, lots of supporters with no opposing thoughts? They own it after all.

12 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Maybe that sounds normal in your first language. But it makes no sense in english for what its worth.

Hmmm, racist comment? And the term is common english.

All in all it was a strange interview, he essentially said nothing, the Eriksson thing was well known and wasn't that the second time he said he would look into it? Boeser, Edler and all the rest was just the same.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Influencers ARE a reality, two elections were manipulated by influencers and the plans are now known of how to do so and the threshold needed to sway opinions. Influencers might put out false news like how good the team is losing, promoting how good a team item is while the rest of the league isn't in agreement.

In this forum, owned by the NHL and the Canucks, monitored by Canucks staff why would they not want to "manage" the message, lots of supporters with no opposing thoughts? They own it after all.

Spin doctors... 

I really believe the club use these influencers to put pressure on players/agents to agree on 

Now, people calling themselves fans, talk about forcing the best defence player out of town. 

If they only talked about "no nmc"... 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Timråfan said:

I think you are off base on this one. Petey said many times he wants to be a complete player and he showed he can do it very well. He's never trained for a full NHL season before so now he knows what he needs to do. Letting Petey develop 200' skills was a great thing to do so early on, it will make him that much better. 

27 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Spin doctors... 

I really believe the club use these influencers to put pressure on players/agents to agree on 

Now, people calling themselves fans, talk about forcing the best defence player out of town. 

If they only talked about "no nmc"... 

The media sometimes "makes" news as well, Gillis and Torts were run out of town by the media influencing the mob.

Torts does one thing to express his intense fury at a player being hurt, for those that don't know Alberts career was finished so go on and cheer about how Torts was such a A-hole being that upset about it, cheer that Alberts was finished.

The other thing was he told the truth "the core is stale".

Gillis is fried because they trade Luongo after not playing him in the outdoor show, sure a low blow but maybe Luongo didn't want to go to Florida until that happened, the guy must have been upset after the draft stuff but that sure urged him on and should have started the rebuild right there.

For 3 years the media and influencers played the Linden card and were easy on this group, even two more years and only some media point out the 8 first round picks over the last 6 years and how only 4 are on the team, really bad numbers considering the pick number, Boston has more regular contributors from mid rounds than the Canucks in the top 6.

And the media has been used for decades to influence players or sound out trades. Fans used to be the backbone of the league and fan attitudes dictated team goals. So for the last 8 years, 8 years of this teams last 2 playoff victories conveniently forgotten and now in what can only be considered year 2 of a rebuild that looks to take another 3 years to see if it needs re-doing for a total of 10 years with only two playoff victories.

"But the boys are so cute and cuddly and trying hard" sure they deserve another 6 or 7 million "because they tried hard" In loss 48 of the season, "they almost won" again.

One thing, i agree about Edler but it is a sorry team that has him as the best. He could be used but not at multi years. On another team where he can be the 3 or 4 guy he can extend his career and effectiveness with fewer minutes. The Canucks are just not a fit for him, unless they bring Tryamkin back and sign Trouba or Myers, then he goes to mentor and maybe even 4 or 5 dman, if they paid Gudbranson 4.5 mil they could stomach the same for Edler.

JB pondering a trade of Eriksson for Lucic is a good thing. Lucic will give us a physical edge this team desperately needs and he can still skate. Both players need a change of scenery and this will benefit both teams/players immediately. This is a no brainer.

Good news on Juolevi. Less pressure to draft a lesser player by defensive position in this years draft. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Timråfan said:

hang out to dry  lol  with a aggressive forecheck  ? what should we have done then  have 5 guys sit on our blue line and let the other team come at  them with speed ? what about pouliot guddy ? pouliot was terrible   and for guddy  I don't know , I liked him but he just couldn't keep up ,  now for petey  you got to be frigging kidding me .you want a coach to teach but don't teach defense wtf  that has to be the one of the stupidest things I ve seen  in a post , petey led the team in points and travis green did a terrible job.  good grief  you win with defense and a forecheck  take time and space away  hockey basics  , basic u need to brush up on

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, the grinder said:

hang out to dry  lol  with a aggressive forecheck  ? what should we have done then  have 5 guys sit on our blue line and let the other team come at  them with speed ? what about pouliot guddy ? pouliot was terrible   and for guddy  I don't know , I liked him but he just couldn't keep up ,  now for petey  you got to be frigging kidding me .you want a coach to teach but don't teach defense wtf  that has to be the one of the stupidest things I ve seen  in a post , petey led the team in points and travis green did a terrible job.  good grief  you win with defense and a forecheck  take time and space away  hockey basics  , basic u need to brush up on

Fascinating that practically none of the teams we met tried the same strategy. 

But get on with hockey basics... 

Didn't you understand what I talked about regarding Petey? 

20 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I swear some people just see the name Benning and they get set off. 

I think people look at his trades, contracts and selling of assets to compete yet end up the worst team in the league over a 3 year period.  And get set off.  

As far as good prospects.  If you're a terrible team, you can follow draft rankings and end up with good prospects every year.  Though he has put in a great scouting staff that has found some decent players with late picks.  His biggest trades (Sutter, Gudbranson) and signings (Vrbata, Miller, Eriksson) have contributed nothing towards a rebuild.  

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Timråfan said:

5 hours ago, Timråfan said:

what u mean forechecking   , lol your telling me no team forechecks the canucks  lol   ya hockey basic forecheck to create pressure the puck and create turnovers  , as for petey yep I completely understood  you , yep you called travis green a terrible  coach because he taught a rookie defense and 200 foot game , bad travis green bad coaching, teaching a  rookie center to  play defense , now read it out loud and see how stupid that sounds 

19 hours ago, Timråfan said:

5 hours ago, Timråfan said:

what strategy ? you mean forechecking ?   your telling me  that teams don't forecheck the canucks lol  yep hockey basics like a forecheck  to create pressure on the puck and create turnovers  yep I completely understood you about petey , you said travis green is a terrible coach for teaching petey to play defense and a 200 foot game  bad travis green bad coaching to teach a rookie center to play defense  now read that aloud and see how stupid that sounds 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

I think people look at his trades, contracts and selling of assets to compete yet end up the worst team in the league over a 3 year period.  And get set off.  

As far as good prospects.  If you're a terrible team, you can follow draft rankings and end up with good prospects every year.  Though he has put in a great scouting staff that has found some decent players with late picks.  His biggest trades (Sutter, Gudbranson) and signings (Vrbata, Miller, Eriksson) have contributed nothing towards a rebuild.  

The Vrbata, Miller and Eriksson signings were done to try and extend the life of the Sedins. They were not done with the intention of rebuilding as that wasn't the plan when Benning first arrived. At least Miller held the fort long enough for Markstrom to figure things out and become the goalie he is today, so I would contribute that partially to a rebuild if it wasn't even the plan.

As for the trades, Benning has made plenty of trades during the "rebuild" phase that indeed has contributed to a rebuild (eg Burrows, Hansen, Vanek, and even Bieksa and Garrison were all moved for future help). Gudbranson was suppose to be the "police" to protect the young guys, but the experiment didn't work and he moved on to find Pearson who looks to have slotted in with our young guy Bo quite well. Sutter was an Ironman prior to joining us and no one would be predicted that he would be as brittle as he is today. Sutter if healthy would've been an excellent 3rd line center (although I think the Canucks were maybe hoping he would get 2nd line looks when they brought him in) who would've taken the hard minutes to allow the youth to develop without being throw to the wolves.

We were quite a bad team over a 3 year period, but that's what a rebuild entails. We could've just hung around mediocrity and not have drafted some of our key core pieces. Many have advocated tanking and that coexists with being a bottom team for a duration. 3 years is hardly rough compared to how some other teams have fared. We have trended up in the last 3 seasons despite being so "poor" and were fighting for a wild card spot almost to the end of the season last year. The team is right where I expect them to be and there's still such a large influx of youth that could still be added. Edmonton and Buffalo are a couple of prime examples that bottom feeding teams may have an easy time picking out talent, but building a team takes more.

Could Benning have done better in some deals? Sure, but like I said, every GM will have made some mistakes. The big blockbuster trades aren't always available and we didn't have the pieces to make them anyway. I look at the team today and I feel much more excited and confident about us moving forward than I did at the start of this "rebuild".

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, the grinder said:

what strategy ? you mean forechecking ?   your telling me  that teams don't forecheck the canucks lol  yep hockey basics like a forecheck  to create pressure on the puck and create turnovers  yep I completely understood you about petey , you said travis green is a terrible coach for teaching petey to play defense and a 200 foot game  bad travis green bad coaching to teach a rookie center to play defense  now read that aloud and see how stupid that sounds 

First, Petey could have had stamina for the whole season if he played as he used to do. Then, in the off season Green tells more about how he wants Petey to play. Then he has the whole summer to work hard to sustain over 80 games. 

It's pretty logical.. You saw the result yourself. Petey didn't last the whole season due to all the back checking and unnecessary hits that takes a lot of energy if not muscled for it. 

If the team forecheck and leave the goali and maybe one in defence it isn't good at all. If the team forechecks like that they need to shift to defence immediately when losing the puck. If they canvt they have to build from defence til they're good enough to attack aggressively. 

But Green and Benning got what they wanted... No play offs this past season. With better defence it's no doubt we would have reached the play offs.