Sign in to follow this  
goalie13

NHL 20 Thread

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Would a 60 overall C with MEd elite potential be damaged by playing on an NHL top line with Panarin and Brady Tkachuk? 

 

I also have a 58 oa goalie I drafted I kind of want to have as my backup. Will he hurt? 

 

In nhl 2005 I had signed the free agent goalie named Carey Price lol. I played him as a 64 oa as my backup all season. I have him all the easy games. I started him in the playoffs and we won the cup. Price in the off season jumped to 99. I am assuming that won't happen again but WI! l it hurt these guys if I play them? 

I'd keep your 60 OA in the minors for a season, NHL experience won't hurt, he'll still get natural growth, but he won't be able to keep up with nhlers, and his stat line will likely suffer, causing a slow-down in his progress. As for your 58 OA backup goalie, he'll get lit up more often than my bong. Another season of Junior is best if you can still put him there.

 

Carey who?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

I'd keep your 60 OA in the minors for a season, NHL experience won't hurt, he'll still get natural growth, but he won't be able to keep up with nhlers, and his stat line will likely suffer, causing a slow-down in his progress. As for your 58 OA backup goalie, he'll get lit up more often than my bong. Another season of Junior is best if you can still put him there.

 

Carey who?

Thanks for the advice @Chickenspear. Yeah haha. This was before his draft it may have actually been NHL 2003 i can't recall. Before he was draft eligible he was available as a free agent with high potential. I am going to take your advice but my Forward Sarion is a european player so I will have to place him in the AHL. Will guys not playing in the ahl (because others are higher ratings affect their growth?) I drafted Heinola 20th OA as the Sens GM. I got Camper (low elite D 56 OA), Euro goalie (Med Elite 58 OA), and Sarion (Med Elite C 60 OA) through rounds 2-4. 

My nhl lineup is:

 

Forward Group

Alex Steen - Chris Tierney - Artemi Panarin (C)

Brady Tkachuk (A) - Drake Batherson - Wayne Simmonds

Colin Wilson -  Collin White - Devante Smith-Pelly 

Mikkel Boedker - Gabriel Pageau - Anthony Duclair

 

D Group

Thomas Chabot (A) - Cody Ceci

Erik Brannstrom - Dylan DeMelo

Nathan Beaulieu - Trevor Van Riemsdyk

 

Goalies

Semyon Varlamov

Craig Andersson 

 

Spares: 

RIchard Panik

Erik Gudbranson

 

Off-Season Signings

Artemi Panarin

Wayne Simmonds

Colin Wilson

Devante Smith-Pelly

Nathan Beaulieu

Alex Petrovic (AHL currently)

 

Trades:

Trevor Van Riemsdyk was received from CAR  for a pick swap high 2nd for a later 2nd and a 5th)

Erik Gudbranson received as a cap dump for a 2nd. (he has played well with Chabot before his injury)

Alex Steen was received in a trade with the Blues for Bobby Ryan (750K retention) and a 2021 3rd Round Pick.

 

Trade Block:

Craig Andersson (83 OA)

Logan Brown (75 OA)

 

I am looking to move Andersson for a replacement backup. He is getting lit up in my net, he doesn't really fit my style. He was replaced by Varly anyways but I need a good G. I have Gustavsson and my Med Elite Goalie as a tandem in the AHL. Brown just simply isn't a fit. I could acquire Isaac Ratcliffe and a 2nd for him but I am a bit hesitant to make the move even though I know its good value. Camper (med elite D) is currently the 8th D in the ahl. Should I force him ice time? I forced Heinola to the 3rd pairing of the AHL but he's only rated as a Top 6 D at the moment.                          Sucks I don't have the updated roster I am sure Duclair would be better than an 80 OA.

Edited by Rush17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Thanks for the advice @Chickenspear. Yeah haha. This was before his draft it may have actually been NHL 2003 i can't recall. Before he was draft eligible he was available as a free agent with high potential. I am going to take your advice but my Forward Sarion is a european player so I will have to place him in the AHL. Will guys not playing in the ahl (because others are higher ratings affect their growth?) I drafted Heinola 20th OA as the Sens GM. I got Camper (low elite D 56 OA), Euro goalie (Med Elite 58 OA), and Sarion (Med Elite C 60 OA) through rounds 2-4. 

My nhl lineup is:

 

Forward Group

Alex Steen - Chris Tierney - Artemi Panarin (C)

Brady Tkachuk (A) - Drake Batherson - Wayne Simmonds

Colin Wilson -  Collin White - Devante Smith-Pelly 

Mikkel Boedker - Gabriel Pageau - Anthony Duclair

 

D Group

Thomas Chabot (A) - Cody Ceci

Erik Brannstrom - Dylan DeMelo

Nathan Beaulieu - Trevor Van Riemsdyk

 

Goalies

Semyon Varlamov

Craig Andersson 

 

Spares: 

RIchard Panik

Erik Gudbranson

 

Off-Season Signings

Artemi Panarin

Wayne Simmonds

Colin Wilson

Devante Smith-Pelly

Nathan Beaulieu

Alex Petrovic (AHL currently)

 

Trades:

Trevor Van Riemsdyk was received from CAR  for a pick swap high 2nd for a later 2nd and a 5th)

Erik Gudbranson received as a cap dump for a 2nd. (he has played well with Chabot before his injury)

Alex Steen was received in a trade with the Blues for Bobby Ryan (750K retention) and a 2021 3rd Round Pick.

 

Trade Block:

Craig Andersson (83 OA)

Logan Brown (75 OA)

 

I am looking to move Andersson for a replacement backup. He is getting lit up in my net, he doesn't really fit my style. He was replaced by Varly anyways but I need a good G. I have Gustavsson and my Med Elite Goalie as a tandem in the AHL. Brown just simply isn't a fit. I could acquire Isaac Ratcliffe and a 2nd for him but I am a bit hesitant to make the move even though I know its good value. Camper (med elite D) is currently the 8th D in the ahl. Should I force him ice time? I forced Heinola to the 3rd pairing of the AHL but he's only rated as a Top 6 D at the moment.                          Sucks I don't have the updated roster I am sure Duclair would be better than an 80 OA.

If your players are euro and can't play junior, and AHL is really your only option, just find a line combo he'll fit on. He'll get his natural growth, be able to keep up better than the NHL, and improve over the season. At 60 oa, expect at least 2 seasons for him to become a viable top 6 AHL player you can use for NHL injury call up. Same advice for your D-man. plug him into a spot that fits your coaches scheme, play him with a veteran too, kinda like the Hughes - Tanev combo. Unless your D is an offensive Dman, lack of point production won't be as detrimental as a forward. Goalies are a bit sketchy when it comes to development, just make sure he gets games in as an AHL backup is really all the advice I have. 

 

What do you have in the way of assets you can part with to upgrade your goaltending? Personally, I'd trade Andersson + 2nd/3rd for a 23-27 year old goalie with starter potential (Demko!!!) to take over for Varlamov when his contract is up, or retires, then pull your young goalie up to the NHL in a backup role for 2-3 years, eventually taking over for your starter, who, if young enough still, should fetch a decent return in a trade if he reaches "exact" starter status. By then you should have either drafted another goaltender who can fill a backup role, or sign a free agent career backup on the cheap.

 

Duclair won't be improving on the 4th line, I'd swap spots or trade Simmonds, and bring a young elc player up to fill the 4th line RW/13th fwd.

 

My 2 cents.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Tbd

Edited by Rush17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2020 at 10:52 PM, Rush17 said:

Thanks for all that information @Chickenspear. I have kind of followed as you said. Moved my guys down to the A. I even bumped Brannstrom down. I have Gustavsson and Hörnqvist (my med elite goalie i mentioned) repp'ing my farm team. I went out and traded some prospects/good players for Soderstrom and DeAngelo so I finally have some good D. I am going to hang on to Andersson as his value seems to have dipped now the season has started in his final year of his deal. He has actually been outplaying Varly which is a bit surprising. I have my 60 OA elite C on my 3rd line in the A with some good veterans. Overall things are going pretty smoothly. I had to bring in some veterans to help with my bottom six but they were well worth the add.

 

I traded Pageau (79OA) version of him with a pick for Mathieu Perreault.  Then proceeded to acquire Kyle Clifford and Trevor Lewis from the Kings. Now my team can actually keep the puck out of the net when my top line isnt out there. Duclair has been bumped up to my 2nd line as you suggested. 

 

Lines currently are:

Tkachuk - White - Panarin

Duclair - Steen - Simmonds

Tierney - Perreault - Lewis

Clifford - C. Wilson - Smith-Pelly

 

Chabot - DeAngelo

Beaulieu - DeMelo

Van Rymsdyk - C. Wideman

 

Varly

Andersson

 

I managed to win vs the Seattle expansion team but blew 2 comebacks vs Boston and Columbus which hurt.  DeMelo gave Chara a bloody eye well Chara broke his nose lol. I am now 2-6 in the season playing on superstar. I typically play on pro but I wanted to really challenge myself. I feel I am in most games with a crappy team and that makes me feel good that I am progressing. Lajoie played some big minutes for me prior to a broken leg on a blocked shot. He will slide in for wideman when healthy. I now have a lot of promising young D. Probably too many lol.

 

Camper (56 OA - low elite), Heinola (62 OA - top 6 D), Brannstrom (71 OA - Top 4 D), and Soderstrom (69 OA - Top 4 D). 

 

The issue I am facing now is getting them ice-time as I have veterans ahead of them. @Chickenspear would you suggest I dump the veterans and let the 56/62 OA play or is that simply to many young guys to make work. I have been rotating a few of them in but Camper is so low an OA. Let me know if you get a chance. You have been an invaluable help! I am hoping Gustavsson can be that starter you mentioned like a Demko next season once my buddy Andersson retires. Gustavsson is  holding his own below .900 in the AHL but my teams offence is keeping him positive.

 

I have 2 x 1st round picks and 4 x 2nd rounders so I am excited for the draft. Although it seems my drafting technique doesn't seem to be revealing much. I watched some youtubers give tips but its not really pan out for me. Do you guys find scouting for things other then potential and comparison helps find elites?

 

Thanks again

 

Rush17

Sorry. read through you questions, got busy with life.

 

As it pertains to the AHL and line combos, because it's a development league, I don't get too hung up on overalls, I just focus on playing them in the best scheme fit. When you signed Camper, was he playing in a Euro league? I usually leave my euro draft picks unsigned if they have too low an overall rating, letting them play with their euro clubs another season or two to develop, while I develop other players already in the AHL. For example, Toni Utunen was a 53 overall med top 6 D potential when I started my sim league, so I didn't sign him until a year later when he was a 60 overall. I played him where he fit on the 2nd unit with Fantenberg, he is now a 67 overall, 21 years old, at the beginning of the 21-22 season. I'll update after I sim this season. Jett Woo is another example of benefiting from junior development. Coming into Utica in the 21-22 season, first year, already a 75 overall, top 4 D potential. I fully expect him to be up on the big club by trade deadline, so I can make a trade involving either Markstrom, or one of my D for a top 6 forward to replace Toffoli (underperforming) who I am going to be trading as well. Demko is an 84 overall backing up Marky, DiPietro is a 79 overall in the AHL.

 

So regarding dumping veterans... check your coaching staff, make sure your head coach is fitting the key players you want to develop. If so, make some minor league trades and/or ufa signings that will fit your current coaches scheme. If your coach doesn't fit your key players, its time to look for a new coach. You want your young guys to play as much as possible, so make sure they get in on the special teams, 4v4, 3v3 etc. especially if they're playing 3rd, 4th line minutes 5v5. If your team is all young guys with lower overalls, you will get steamrolled, so veterans are essential to successful development. 

 

Scouting everyone is difficult, but there's ways to make it easier. My amateur scout line up is as follows: x2 each WHL, OHL, and QMJHL, x1 each USA West, Central, East, SHL, Liiga, and Russia. Though I've been thinking about travelling one scout for all of the US, and one for SHL/Liiga, add a third scout to each of my CHL regions.

 

 So with my CHL scouts, I take potential and comparison of the top CS ranked players through the first few rounds. This take the longest of the assessments, so you want to give yourself plenty of time to get other assessments in. If you load a scout up with too many players, He'll take all season just to get you that one report.  It'll usually be about 8-9 players per scout max. 

 

Example, WHL scout 1: players 1-9

                WHL scout 2: players 10-18

 

After P+C, have the scouts look at the same players skills assessments, then go into strengths/weaknesses. After that's done, do 4-5 players per scout P+C on the next players you haven't scouted the first time around. Try to get a quick skills assessment in, if time allows.

 

Example, WHL scout 1: players 19-22

                WHL scout 2: players 23-26

 

That should take up the rest of your scout's time.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

Sorry. read through you questions, got busy with life.

 

As it pertains to the AHL and line combos, because it's a development league, I don't get too hung up on overalls, I just focus on playing them in the best scheme fit. When you signed Camper, was he playing in a Euro league? I usually leave my euro draft picks unsigned if they have too low an overall rating, letting them play with their euro clubs another season or two to develop, while I develop other players already in the AHL. For example, Toni Utunen was a 53 overall med top 6 D potential when I started my sim league, so I didn't sign him until a year later when he was a 60 overall. I played him where he fit on the 2nd unit with Fantenberg, he is now a 67 overall, 21 years old, at the beginning of the 21-22 season. I'll update after I sim this season. Jett Woo is another example of benefiting from junior development. Coming into Utica in the 21-22 season, first year, already a 75 overall, top 4 D potential. I fully expect him to be up on the big club by trade deadline, so I can make a trade involving either Markstrom, or one of my D for a top 6 forward to replace Toffoli (underperforming) who I am going to be trading as well. Demko is an 84 overall backing up Marky, DiPietro is a 79 overall in the AHL.

 

So regarding dumping veterans... check your coaching staff, make sure your head coach is fitting the key players you want to develop. If so, make some minor league trades and/or ufa signings that will fit your current coaches scheme. If your coach doesn't fit your key players, its time to look for a new coach. You want your young guys to play as much as possible, so make sure they get in on the special teams, 4v4, 3v3 etc. especially if they're playing 3rd, 4th line minutes 5v5. If your team is all young guys with lower overalls, you will get steamrolled, so veterans are essential to successful development. 

 

Scouting everyone is difficult, but there's ways to make it easier. My amateur scout line up is as follows: x2 each WHL, OHL, and QMJHL, x1 each USA West, Central, East, SHL, Liiga, and Russia. Though I've been thinking about travelling one scout for all of the US, and one for SHL/Liiga, add a third scout to each of my CHL regions.

 

 So with my CHL scouts, I take potential and comparison of the top CS ranked players through the first few rounds. This take the longest of the assessments, so you want to give yourself plenty of time to get other assessments in. If you load a scout up with too many players, He'll take all season just to get you that one report.  It'll usually be about 8-9 players per scout max. 

 

Example, WHL scout 1: players 1-9

                WHL scout 2: players 10-18

 

After P+C, have the scouts look at the same players skills assessments, then go into strengths/weaknesses. After that's done, do 4-5 players per scout P+C on the next players you haven't scouted the first time around. Try to get a quick skills assessment in, if time allows.

 

Example, WHL scout 1: players 19-22

                WHL scout 2: players 23-26

 

That should take up the rest of your scout's time.

 

 

 

Camper I believe was in Europe I honestly didn't look that closely. But the fact he didn't return to the CHL I assume so.  I probably should have left him unsigned as you said lol. My team's defence is brutal. I got offered MTLs 2020 and 2021 2nd's if I took on Alzner for CAR's 3rd, Trevor Lewis, and Chris Wideman. So I jumped on that deal. Now I have 6 x 2nd round picks and 2 x 1sts lol. I am debating making a push to maybe pull Kakko out of COL (for some reason he ended up there.) They really want Chabot though which is a tough ask since my D is terrible and he's the only decent piece currently on there. 

 

Sounds like you have had some good development with Woo and Utunen.  I have way to many two way forwards its getting kinda crazy lol. I probably will end up moving Tierney (82 OA) for some defensive help. I returned DeAngelo back to the Rangers though because realistically they wouldn't ever deal him lol. I am trying to make the GM mode more realistic. I either have to have them offer the players, they must be on the block or there has to be a clear reason why they would move the player. DeAngelo leaving NYR made zero sense when he's their best offensive D.  I have Soderstrom and Brannstrom getting regular ahl minutes in my bottom 6 D.

 

Camper unfortunately doesn't get a ton of ice time. Heinola has gotten some spot duty though. I acquired Studnica by taking on the contract of David Backes and sending them a replacement and a pick. Backes works surprisingly well with Duclair.  I feel I am making way to many trades but I feel like my team is so brutal defensively its taking the fun out of it lol. My Sens team is now 3-9-1 on the year. 

 

I relieved my associate coach and hired a new guy. I am curious though if you can grow a coach over time or if they are stagnant in their stats? I would love to have an offensive coach and my ahl's head coach is one but he doesn't have a good stat line lol.  Maybe I can bump him to interim at a later date.  I  called up Soderstrom for a game to give him a taste. Will slide Petrovic back into the lineup after he gets a taste. Chabot is 86 OA after him everyone else is 81 Moore or 79 or lower on D. Lajoie was a great fit but a broken leg has taken him out of action lol. I feel I need to stop making trades though its ruining the real feel of it. 

 

I appreciate the insight on scouting as well.  Perhaps I need to figure out how I can add talent without following such strict trade requirements because it feels like im swapping out 78 OA D for other 78 OA D constantly lol.  I removed all of my pro and ahl scouts and replaced them with more amauter scouts. I think this may have been a mistake though lol. Appreciate the insight once again @Chickenspear!

 

I finally found a buyer for Logan Brown. The Flames came up big and offered me Rasmus Andersson 1 for 1. This definitely helps me resolve some of my blueline woes. Now I have Andersson paired with Moore on my 2nd pairing. I managed to swap Petrovic to LA for Paul LaDue who meshes well with Karl Alzner. Lajoie is still injured with a broken leg which stinks. I ended up moving Gudbranson out with a 2nd for a 3rd with  Colorado. I then played Colorado the next game without realizing it and he took a brutal shot on Colin White lol.

 

We are hanging in games now but we definitely will need some more development time. Colorado wants Drake Batherson ++ for Kakko which simply isn't in the cards quite yet. I am going to give my youth some more time to grow maybe until the TDL or draft then reconsider. Batherson is currently sub'ing in on my top line since Simmonds is out. White has dropped to my third line. 

 

Lines are:

Tkachuk - Batherson - Panarin

Duclair - Backes - Tierney

C. Wilson - Steen - White

Clifford - Perreault - JT Brown

 

Chabot -  DeMelo (+3 chem)

Moore - Andersson (+3 chem)

Alzner - LaDue (+1 chem)

 

Varly

Andersson
 

My bottom 3rd and 4th line are dangerous and a real handful for other teams top lines now. Which is very encouraging to see. JT Brown adds some much needed speed with the truculence and skill of Clifford and Perreault. My third line has a lot of skill and determination on it which helps when you need to get going. They are definitely an energy line that can pot some goals. Alzner struggled a bit vs Colorado's speed but I think that is a systems issue more than his skating. We traded chances with Colorado the entire game. We forced OT with 3 comeback goals in the 2nd but lost in OT. Varly is standing on his head but his stats are hurting because we are not well structured on defence. I am going to edit my coaching systems later tonight. Maybe shift to a more passive stance and do more man on man stuff. I hate the collapsing D system because they keep sneaking goals in from the point. I should get back to adjusting it on the fly but I haven't done that since NHL 05 lol.  Appreciate all the help @Chickenspear. It feels like you are my A-GM over here lol. 

 

If you happen to know how to get a perfect fit +5 chem for chabot down the road please let me know! Andersson and Soderstrom are both +3. Perhaps coaching has more to do with it! How do you find the right guy tho?

 

Also a random question can a coach grow in his skills and potential?                 

 

Edited by Rush17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2020 at 7:00 PM, Rush17 said:

Camper I believe was in Europe I honestly didn't look that closely. But the fact he didn't return to the CHL I assume so.  I probably should have left him unsigned as you said lol. My team's defence is brutal. I got offered MTLs 2020 and 2021 2nd's if I took on Alzner for CAR's 3rd, Trevor Lewis, and Chris Wideman. So I jumped on that deal. Now I have 6 x 2nd round picks and 2 x 1sts lol. I am debating making a push to maybe pull Kakko out of COL (for some reason he ended up there.) They really want Chabot though which is a tough ask since my D is terrible and he's the only decent piece currently on there. 

 

Sounds like you have had some good development with Woo and Utunen.  I have way to many two way forwards its getting kinda crazy lol. I probably will end up moving Tierney (82 OA) for some defensive help. I returned DeAngelo back to the Rangers though because realistically they wouldn't ever deal him lol. I am trying to make the GM mode more realistic. I either have to have them offer the players, they must be on the block or there has to be a clear reason why they would move the player. DeAngelo leaving NYR made zero sense when he's their best offensive D.  I have Soderstrom and Brannstrom getting regular ahl minutes in my bottom 6 D.

 

Camper unfortunately doesn't get a ton of ice time. Heinola has gotten some spot duty though. I acquired Studnica by taking on the contract of David Backes and sending them a replacement and a pick. Backes works surprisingly well with Duclair.  I feel I am making way to many trades but I feel like my team is so brutal defensively its taking the fun out of it lol. My Sens team is now 3-9-1 on the year. 

 

I relieved my associate coach and hired a new guy. I am curious though if you can grow a coach over time or if they are stagnant in their stats? I would love to have an offensive coach and my ahl's head coach is one but he doesn't have a good stat line lol.  Maybe I can bump him to interim at a later date.  I  called up Soderstrom for a game to give him a taste. Will slide Petrovic back into the lineup after he gets a taste. Chabot is 86 OA after him everyone else is 81 Moore or 79 or lower on D. Lajoie was a great fit but a broken leg has taken him out of action lol. I feel I need to stop making trades though its ruining the real feel of it. 

 

I appreciate the insight on scouting as well.  Perhaps I need to figure out how I can add talent without following such strict trade requirements because it feels like im swapping out 78 OA D for other 78 OA D constantly lol.  I removed all of my pro and ahl scouts and replaced them with more amauter scouts. I think this may have been a mistake though lol. Appreciate the insight once again @Chickenspear!

 

I finally found a buyer for Logan Brown. The Flames came up big and offered me Rasmus Andersson 1 for 1. This definitely helps me resolve some of my blueline woes. Now I have Andersson paired with Moore on my 2nd pairing. I managed to swap Petrovic to LA for Paul LaDue who meshes well with Karl Alzner. Lajoie is still injured with a broken leg which stinks. I ended up moving Gudbranson out with a 2nd for a 3rd with  Colorado. I then played Colorado the next game without realizing it and he took a brutal shot on Colin White lol.

 

We are hanging in games now but we definitely will need some more development time. Colorado wants Drake Batherson ++ for Kakko which simply isn't in the cards quite yet. I am going to give my youth some more time to grow maybe until the TDL or draft then reconsider. Batherson is currently sub'ing in on my top line since Simmonds is out. White has dropped to my third line. 

 

Lines are:

Tkachuk - Batherson - Panarin

Duclair - Backes - Tierney

C. Wilson - Steen - White

Clifford - Perreault - JT Brown

 

Chabot -  DeMelo (+3 chem)

Moore - Andersson (+3 chem)

Alzner - LaDue (+1 chem)

 

Varly

Andersson
 

My bottom 3rd and 4th line are dangerous and a real handful for other teams top lines now. Which is very encouraging to see. JT Brown adds some much needed speed with the truculence and skill of Clifford and Perreault. My third line has a lot of skill and determination on it which helps when you need to get going. They are definitely an energy line that can pot some goals. Alzner struggled a bit vs Colorado's speed but I think that is a systems issue more than his skating. We traded chances with Colorado the entire game. We forced OT with 3 comeback goals in the 2nd but lost in OT. Varly is standing on his head but his stats are hurting because we are not well structured on defence. I am going to edit my coaching systems later tonight. Maybe shift to a more passive stance and do more man on man stuff. I hate the collapsing D system because they keep sneaking goals in from the point. I should get back to adjusting it on the fly but I haven't done that since NHL 05 lol.  Appreciate all the help @Chickenspear. It feels like you are my A-GM over here lol. 

 

If you happen to know how to get a perfect fit +5 chem for chabot down the road please let me know! Andersson and Soderstrom are both +3. Perhaps coaching has more to do with it! How do you find the right guy tho?

 

Also a random question can a coach grow in his skills and potential?                 

 

 

:lol: disbands the pro scouts... You need those for sure! You'll never know a player's current overall/value, or where he fits in your lineup, which is a big part of team building. That said, I'm pretty sure I can help you with your Chabot dilemma.

 

Ended up stopping the sim league after 3 seasons, didn't like not being in control of the players, didn't like my head coach, couldn't acquire a better one either. Started a new Franchise mode. Created a few teams. And players (Rathbone, Podkolzin, Tryamkin). Arizona is now the Quebec City Nighthawks, Florida is now the Houston Rebels. Seattle Thunderbirds is the expansion team. Finally, decent coach on load in, Stecher was taken in the expansion draft. Go to edit the lines, move Tanev to the top line with Hughes, what did I see? +5. So I did a bit of messing around with my lines, and here's some screenshots, kinda puts it in perspective seeing it. take a look at the type of D the player is, and also the line fit, spot the difference.

 

NHL Defensive Line:

Spoiler

image.png.75a577a2a9c4d362246ea1f84dddbb5e.png

 

AHL Defensive Line:

Spoiler

image.png.5d51a811d79aa341622df51953cd0288.png

 

 

So, basically, to make a +5 pair, an Offensive D-man, needs a Defensive D-man, and they both have to fit the same line, and fit it well. A 2-way D, like Chabot, playing with an offensive or defensive D-man, like DeMelo, can only have a chemistry rating of +3, even if the line fit is about the same, as evidenced in my Utica lineup. It's all about balance. Maybe scout for another 2-way D that fits your top line, not sure if that would even work, but the theory is solid imo.. if you want to risk it, you have some high end picks you could turn into a player, ship out a player that doesn't fit your scheme. Or keep DeMelo-Chabot together and target another line. If you have another offensive/defensive D that fits a line well, look for his opposite style that'll fit that line.

 

And yes, coaches do progress over time. go to coaching staff, right click, and you'll see his XP meters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/25/2020 at 8:25 PM, Chickenspear said:

 

:lol: disbands the pro scouts... You need those for sure! You'll never know a player's current overall/value, or where he fits in your lineup, which is a big part of team building. That said, I'm pretty sure I can help you with your Chabot dilemma.

 

Ended up stopping the sim league after 3 seasons, didn't like not being in control of the players, didn't like my head coach, couldn't acquire a better one either. Started a new Franchise mode. Created a few teams. And players (Rathbone, Podkolzin, Tryamkin). Arizona is now the Quebec City Nighthawks, Florida is now the Houston Rebels. Seattle Thunderbirds is the expansion team. Finally, decent coach on load in, Stecher was taken in the expansion draft. Go to edit the lines, move Tanev to the top line with Hughes, what did I see? +5. So I did a bit of messing around with my lines, and here's some screenshots, kinda puts it in perspective seeing it. take a look at the type of D the player is, and also the line fit, spot the difference.

 

NHL Defensive Line:

  Reveal hidden contents

image.png.75a577a2a9c4d362246ea1f84dddbb5e.png

 

AHL Defensive Line:

  Reveal hidden contents

image.png.5d51a811d79aa341622df51953cd0288.png

 

 

So, basically, to make a +5 pair, an Offensive D-man, needs a Defensive D-man, and they both have to fit the same line, and fit it well. A 2-way D, like Chabot, playing with an offensive or defensive D-man, like DeMelo, can only have a chemistry rating of +3, even if the line fit is about the same, as evidenced in my Utica lineup. It's all about balance. Maybe scout for another 2-way D that fits your top line, not sure if that would even work, but the theory is solid imo.. if you want to risk it, you have some high end picks you could turn into a player, ship out a player that doesn't fit your scheme. Or keep DeMelo-Chabot together and target another line. If you have another offensive/defensive D that fits a line well, look for his opposite style that'll fit that line.

 

And yes, coaches do progress over time. go to coaching staff, right click, and you'll see his XP meters.

Oh an xp meter :lol:. That makes sense. I heard two way forwards also cannot reach max potential. I saw one gm mode where the person edited the player types to get those max levels. I am debating maybe considering that at the start of each training camp.  Converting Chabot to an offensive D and signing Tanev in the summer might be a good idea. I dislike the idea of editing players though. 

 

I am now the second to last team in the NHL so that's a step forward lol. The oilers are behind me by 2 points. Funny enough my next game is against them. I am tempted to make a move for Leon but I know they would do a coaching change over moving Leon in real life. I will have to shift some scouts over and sign some new guys for my pro scouting soon. I cleared house on the pro side. Provably a bad idea too because they were all A / A+ in their regions lol.

 

My coach is a A- overall but he has very low chemistry with Panarin my leading scorer and captain I feel that is a Di's service to my team. He tends to fit better with my 2 way guys Tierney, white etc. I'm waiting for another coach to get fired so I can check him out. I'm hoping it's the oilers coach soon. Maybe If we beat them in their next game they will relieve him lol. 

 

We are 6-10-2, Edmonton is 5-11-2. Should be a real barn burner lol. My team has the highest goals forward and the highest against. We average like 5 GAA per game. Shows how sloppy my defensive play is on superstar. Perhaps more component D might help. :lol:

 

 

Update:

My team didn't disappoint, we let in 5 goals again. :lol: We lost 5-4 to EDM, Leon scored twice, and they injured Brady. Thanks EDM. Now we are tied for worst in the NHL haha. I just noticed Dylan DeMelo is a pending UFA and has no interest in re-signing. I am debating packaging him up with Tierney for futures. Tierney wants 4.5M + a season on an extension. Which simply makes zero sense when he's an 82 OA 26 year old lol. I might package the pair for some picks. I got some offers in of 2 x 2nd rounders. Only issue though is I will be very thin on D again if I go that route. All things to consider :D My scouting staff may have uncovered a Franchise player on D. He is only 2 bars confirmed so far but I am sending the scouts back for a more detailed look. He is slated to go 25-26 OA.  A nice finnish kid playing in the SHL. Lots of good Finns in this years draft. Once the draft class gets more filled out via scouting ill share some photos. Overall I am ecstatic with the series. 

 

I have Brady Tkachuk, Wayne Simmonds, Max Lajoie, and Dave Backes all out with injuries at the moment. I  should be getting the latter 3 back by the 10th of Dec or so. Brady is still pending evaluation. It will be nice to get Lajoie back in the lineup that should help solidify my backend. He's been out for quite some time now. I am now in late November. I am hopeful  the guys returning can help the squad. I had to call up Formenton and Studnica due to all the injuries. Duclair is day to day as well so I am opting to sit him out to prevent further strain on him. Once he's healed up i will ship Studnica back down. 

 

Camper (low elite D) has grown 7 points in the AHL with only 3 games of experience. So that isn't to shabby. Soderstrom and Brannstrom are also showing some growth. One of my fav sens prospects has shown the most growth with 11 so far in Filip Chlapík lol. I love that kid in these games for some reason. He was part of my dynamic duo in the AHL with him and Paajarvi.. Paajarvi unfortunately got hurt two weeks ago so Chippy is having a hard time finding his spot in the lineup wit him gone. I have given all my D some ice time in the AHL this week. Camper, Heniola, Soderstrom, and Brannstrom. Feel its worth the potential defensive sacrifice if it helps their growth. I am giving camper a game or two on the top pairing with Wolanin to see how he does. He is a defensive D so we shall see how he fairs. 

 

What overall did you give Rathbone? i see some high skating and shooting there. :lol:

Edited by Rush17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Oh an xp meter :lol:. That makes sense. I heard two way forwards also cannot reach max potential. I saw one gm mode where the person edited the player types to get those max levels. I am debating maybe considering that at the start of each training camp.  Converting Chabot to an offensive D and signing Tanev in the summer might be a good idea. I dislike the idea of editing players though. 

 

I am now the second to last team in the NHL so that's a step forward lol. The oilers are behind me by 2 points. Funny enough my next game is against them. I am tempted to make a move for Leon but I know they would do a coaching change over moving Leon in real life. I will have to shift some scouts over and sign some new guys for my pro scouting soon. I cleared house on the pro side. Provably a bad idea too because they were all A / A+ in their regions lol.

 

My coach is a A- overall but he has very low chemistry with Panarin my leading scorer and captain I feel that is a Di's service to my team. He tends to fit better with my 2 way guys Tierney, white etc. I'm waiting for another coach to get fired so I can check him out. I'm hoping it's the oilers coach soon. Maybe If we beat them in their next game they will relieve him lol. 

 

We are 6-10-2, Edmonton is 5-11-2. Should be a real barn burner lol. My team has the highest goals forward and the highest against. We average like 5 GAA per game. Shows how sloppy my defensive play is on superstar. Perhaps more component D might help. :lol:

 

 

Update:

My team didn't disappoint, we let in 5 goals again. :lol: We lost 5-4 to EDM, Leon scored twice, and they injured Brady. Thanks EDM. Now we are tied for worst in the NHL haha. I just noticed Dylan DeMelo is a pending UFA and has no interest in re-signing. I am debating packaging him up with Tierney for futures. Tierney wants 4.5M + a season on an extension. Which simply makes zero sense when he's an 82 OA 26 year old lol. I might package the pair for some picks. I got some offers in of 2 x 2nd rounders. Only issue though is I will be very thin on D again if I go that route. All things to consider :D My scouting staff may have uncovered a Franchise player on D. He is only 2 bars confirmed so far but I am sending the scouts back for a more detailed look. He is slated to go 25-26 OA.  A nice finnish kid playing in the SHL. Lots of good Finns in this years draft. Once the draft class gets more filled out via scouting ill share some photos. Overall I am ecstatic with the series. 

 

I have Brady Tkachuk, Wayne Simmonds, Max Lajoie, and Dave Backes all out with injuries at the moment. I  should be getting the latter 3 back by the 10th of Dec or so. Brady is still pending evaluation. It will be nice to get Lajoie back in the lineup that should help solidify my backend. He's been out for quite some time now. I am now in late November. I am hopeful  the guys returning can help the squad. I had to call up Formenton and Studnica due to all the injuries. Duclair is day to day as well so I am opting to sit him out to prevent further strain on him. Once he's healed up i will ship Studnica back down. 

 

Camper (low elite D) has grown 7 points in the AHL with only 3 games of experience. So that isn't to shabby. Soderstrom and Brannstrom are also showing some growth. One of my fav sens prospects has shown the most growth with 11 so far in Filip Chlapík lol. I love that kid in these games for some reason. He was part of my dynamic duo in the AHL with him and Paajarvi.. Paajarvi unfortunately got hurt two weeks ago so Chippy is having a hard time finding his spot in the lineup wit him gone. I have given all my D some ice time in the AHL this week. Camper, Heniola, Soderstrom, and Brannstrom. Feel its worth the potential defensive sacrifice if it helps their growth. I am giving camper a game or two on the top pairing with Wolanin to see how he does. He is a defensive D so we shall see how he fairs. 

 

What overall did you give Rathbone? i see some high skating and shooting there. :lol:

So you would have 2x 1sts, 8x 2nds for this upcoming draft if you packaged DeMelo and Tierney? Damn, you can definitely afford to get a DeMelo replacement. Sergachev comes to mind. You could also trade one of your 1sts at the draft for say, the 20-23rd overall pick and take your Franchise dman a couple spots earlier than he was slated to go, just to make sure some AI doesn't take him before his projected spot.

 

 

Yeah, did some research on Rathbone, basically learned he's got wheels with an explosive first few strides, and a good, hard, accurate shot, but gets caught running around in his own zone, so that screamed offensive d-man, from the clips I've seen, and speculation that he may end up on the roster next season, I gave him a 75 rating leaning more towards offensive capabilities with med elite potential. His defensive and physical attributes are all between 70-80 (aside from stick checking at 86, had to have at least one decent defensive stat), offensive between 78-90 (exception of 93 wrist shot accuracy/acceleration). that gives him about a year or so from becoming a 5-6-7th D on the big club.

 

I am super high on this kid.

 

Here's a couple other player builds I did:

 

Tryamkin: DFD, 99 strength and bodychecking (how can you not with that size?) Top 4 potential, put him pretty well on par for that, as he's about in his prime. 83 OA.

Spoiler

image.png.b1f40ad6ddff0e2f315b05aebd7aa071.png

 

Podkolzin: A fast, quick-footed, honey-badger on the puck, said to be NHL ready, shows a lot of promise as a PWF. I made him a bit more balanced toward offense, but his defence isn't far behind. 76 OA.

Spoiler

image.png.d8c68c70c1f526d36395257bf1739b43.png

 

And because I'm not starting with Toffoli on my roster, I decided to create Tyler Madden as well. Not a physical player, he's got good hockey senses at both ends of the ice. best attributes are passing and agility. not a bad shot either.

Spoiler

image.png.385ed277fba7a86434047c4354fe9359.png

 

I'd love to create every missing player from every team, but not worth it at this point with nhl 21 coming out soonish. wish there was a way to upload created players and share them in a community. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow ya I like the podkolzin build you did. You may have gone a bit generous with tryamkin but I am really high on him too. I'm not sure what to think on madden anymore lol. He's no longer our property so I naturally want to bring him way down :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Wow ya I like the podkolzin build you did. You may have gone a bit generous with tryamkin but I am really high on him too. I'm not sure what to think on madden anymore lol. He's no longer our property so I naturally want to bring him way down :lol:

Yeah, overboard a bit with Groot, but he's definitely improved since he was last here. Shouldn't be too far off the mark though, given his age, and playing top pair in the second best league in the world.

 

Madden, I was also torn, but he is a gifted offensive player. Also a defensive liability. He's one of those players that has to make top 6 fwd, or he's useless to your bottom 6.

 

I felt the Podkolzin build was the most legitimate, for sure though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yeah his shot accuracy, skating, and defensive skills seemed a touch high. I think he is the in 86-87 range he can close the gap fast but he isn't really a super fast skater in a straight line. His poke checking is phenomenal though due to his reach. I really want Podkolzin in my game mode. Maybe he will appear in my draft rankings for the 2020 draft lol. 

 

I would love to re-sign Chris Tierney but his 4.5M ask per year just seems to steep. Even if he jumped to an 83 OA that feels to rich for what I feel is a 3rd line C on a good team. I will need to find a replacement for demelo though if I do move him. I could sub in LaDue temporarily but we haven't fared to well with him on the top pair lol. Time shall tell :D need to play more games before I give any updates.

 

I moved Andersson up with Chabot. And LaDue with Moore. That allows me to play sound defensively. So I guess I would need a 3rd pair rhd. I moved Pelech for Fonstad and a 3rd form MTL. They approached me for a trade again lol.

 

The kid is a low top 9 potential C but he has 95 discipline and good base stats. He will either be a good ahler for a long time or possibly an invaluable and cheap forward at the n level. Minny is offering Alexander Khovanov a low top 6 forward, a 2nd, and a 3rd for Tierney.  I could take that deal or 2 x 2nds from another club.  I'll have to check my draft info before I decide. I have a lot of center potential but perhaps he could be converted to a wing. 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Rush17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I moved Tierney and DeMelo to the islanders along with a fourth for NYI 2020 2nd, NYI 2021 2nd, Par Lindholm, and Sebastian Aho (D). 

 

Pretty comfortable move sucks to part with a 4th but it made sense since I am getting back to plugs to fill in the holes of Tierney and DeMelo. 

 

I scoured the trade block and found both Paul Stastny and Max Patches out of VGK. They wanted chippy one of my fav centers. I actually moved him a 2020 2nd and a 2021 3rd for Patches.

 

The move kind of goes against my general amass picks and draft in quantity. But I am also playing the franchise mode with 10 min periods so I would really rather not be terrible again next year lol. 

 

My hope is I'll draft some more elite talent then maybe target a guy like Pavelski an aging vet who can bridge the gap until sarich is ready. (its sarich not sarion in terrible lol) 

 

Patches - White - Panarin

Tkachuk - Backes - Simmonds

Duclair - Steen - Batherson 

Clifford - Perrault - Brown 

 

Spares: Wilson, Lindholm

 

Seems like a semi competent forward group to finish out the season. I look like I might actually be an nhl team upfront. Now I need to find some fixes for the backend long term. Backes is a beast for his overall. That sheer power and shot is fantastic in a middle 6. Patches was a -4 in his opening game with the Sens. Hard life lol. Tkachuk and Simmonds are both hurt again to boot. 

Edited by Rush17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Updated Tryamkin:

Spoiler

image.png.4ebc7171cd18540f587d9bb7a1d8e1a6.png

 

Brought him down a bit, 81 overall now.

 

New player builds:

 

Kaprizov: 83 overall

Spoiler

image.png.1651e379731c96e868d0d82739875fa1.png

 

Newhook: 70 overall

Spoiler

image.png.383149777b319c5cf74bfaec54dc7cbf.png

 

Turcotte: 71 overall

Spoiler

image.png.17babcf6edf6a7f480a575e55409a7ba.png

 

Romanov: 78 overall

Spoiler

image.png.7847e7cbd3fc5a00011ac941315aa585.png

 

Sorokin: 79 overall

Spoiler

image.png.af37e91f6d29aa0c6254af71144c17f6.png

 

Zegras: 72 overall

Spoiler

image.png.f4636c250b07b4ac7ac640ba9d77e894.png

 

I will have to start a new franchise mode now...:sadno:

Edited by Chickenspear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

You play it yet? How is it?

I've played it through the gamechanger program. This beta isn't out yet though, just sign ups.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2020 at 6:33 PM, Chickenspear said:

Updated Tryamkin:

  Reveal hidden contents

image.png.4ebc7171cd18540f587d9bb7a1d8e1a6.png

 

Brought him down a bit, 81 overall now.

 

New player builds:

 

Kaprisov: 83 overall

  Reveal hidden contents

image.png.1651e379731c96e868d0d82739875fa1.png

 

Newhook: 70 overall

  Reveal hidden contents

image.png.383149777b319c5cf74bfaec54dc7cbf.png

 

I will have to start a new franchise mode now...:sadno:

I like the overalls - Newhook is probably a touch higher maybe 75 and Kaprizov is likely an 89 :lol:

 

I only say 89 because I have him on my fantasy team here on CDC hahaha.  (Fingers crossed) he is as good or better than Panarin. Newhook destroyed the NCAA. I watched a lot of him live here in town. I noticed you are from Victoria too? Did you get a chance to see him out in Colwood with the Grizzley's the last couple of years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I like the overalls - Newhook is probably a touch higher maybe 75 and Kaprizov is likely an 89 :lol:

 

I only say 89 because I have him on my fantasy team here on CDC hahaha.  (Fingers crossed) he is as good or better than Panarin. Newhook destroyed the NCAA. I watched a lot of him live here in town. I noticed you are from Victoria too? Did you get a chance to see him out in Colwood with the Grizzley's the last couple of years?

Nah, haven't been to any grizzlies games, kinda out of the way. Wasn't sure what to rate him, just felt he was a couple overalls behind the top 10 in the draft.

 

Kaprizov was most comparable to Gusev stat wise, but gave him high elite potential.

 

 

Edited by Chickenspear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.