The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL 20 Thread

goalie13

Picked up Zuccarello, Soderberg, McGinn, Namestnikov, DeMelo, and Halak in free agency.

Lundstrom has grown from an 79 to an 81 OA. Most of my other kids stayed the same... I was playing them above their role and it clearly hurt their development lol. So i have all the kids in the AHL now aside from Lundstrom. I finally have a fourth line I can actually use :lol: :towel:

Updated Seattle - Season 2 lines

Crouse - Pavelski - Zuccarello

Bratt - Lundstrom - Kapanen

Grabner - Soderberg - Brown

Namestnikov - McCann - Reaves

Brodin - Schultz

Lajoie - Larsson

DeMelo - Carrick

Halak

Ullmark

On 11/30/2019 at 12:11 AM, Darkstar said:

Hey everyone! I'm contemplating buying NHL 20, as it's $39.99 right now. I haven't played properly since NHL 16. Is this rendition any good?

I'm enjoying it.  Although, I buy it every year.  But for $40 I say it's worth it.

Finally got to play the first regular season game in my franchise.  Weird quirk...  Scored with Myers, Virtanen & Roussel, each time the banner at the bottom says it's their first career goal.  Scored with Juolevi, the banner at the bottom says it's his first of the season.  Although the commentators talk about how it's his first ever goal.

Another one... Ray makes a comment on how I am going to be short a player for the rest of the game after Myers was injured in a fight, but he never misses a shift. 

So I bought nhl 20 on black friday deals, and the first thing i see is matthews face. That smarmy grin, i just wanna punch it. 

I control myself, dont wanna buy a new TV, so i start up franchise mode. My bread and butter. 

Nothing new so far after one simmed year. I still need to hold the coaches hand, i still need to constantly update my trading block. No. I dont want to trade 22 year olds for players that were just on waivers. Thanks though calgary. 

Vancouver completely bombs first year. Fifth last in the league, and wouldnt you know it, vancouver wins the draft lottery. 

But wait, the canucks traded that pick. Oh no it was lottery protected! Sweet! I can choose!

NOOOPPPE!  Tampa bay selects lafreniere, and because my scouts have all been checking out character and skills, i choose an “elite med” forward second round. 

NOOOOPPPE! Dude clocks in at bottom forward with low potential. 

Fine. Sim a couple seasons or whatever, consistently bottom of the barrel. Obviously cant win the draft lottery even with a 20 win season. 

The good news is, the only addition i see from ‘19 is the added redundance of not only having to sign players, but even coaches can be whiny little beaches too. 

Seriously. I couldnt find an associate coach for the farm team. Three guys turned me down even when i gave them their money and terms. None of them even had any other teams interested!

€40 euros i friggen wasted for a worse version of ‘19. Or a roster update. 

.....oh wait....gaudette isnt in the game? Whaaaa? 

What a piece of hot, burning, flaming, garbage. 

I damned well knew better, than to get an nhl game on an “even” year. 

For shame EA. You suck. 

*edit “than to get an nhl game on an even year.”

this game sucks donkey ears, monkey feet, and narwhal bone swords that come out of their face. 

And dirty diapers. The ones canada gave the phillipines and had to take back. Those ones. 

Edited by MystifyNCrucify

8 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

But wait, the canucks traded that pick. Oh no it was lottery protected! Sweet! I can choose!

EA has never included conditional picks in franchise mode, but that would be a cool addition.  I was lucky in my franchise, Montreal gifted me a 1st round pick (for Tanev) so I am hoping they have a terrible year.

8 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

.....oh wait....gaudette isnt in the game? Whaaaa? 

Gaudette is in my game.  I have him as my 3rd line centre.  Did you just misplace him somehow?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2019 at 2:44 PM, Rush17 said:

Picked up Zuccarello, Soderberg, McGinn, Namestnikov, DeMelo, and Halak in free agency.

Lundstrom has grown from an 79 to an 81 OA. Most of my other kids stayed the same... I was playing them above their role and it clearly hurt their development lol. So i have all the kids in the AHL now aside from Lundstrom. I finally have a fourth line I can actually use :lol: :towel:

Updated Seattle - Season 2 lines

Crouse - Pavelski - Zuccarello

Bratt - Lundstrom - Kapanen

Grabner - Soderberg - Brown

Namestnikov - McCann - Reaves

Brodin - Schultz

Lajoie - Larsson

DeMelo - Carrick

Halak

Ullmark

Getting our butts kicked. 

Traded Larsson + for Zadorov which improves our D. Carrick has grown to an 81 oa and skates well. Took a chance bumping him to pair D. Doing well in his new position. The team however is not.

We are 3-7-2 to start the season. We opted to make a move and shipped out Joe Pavelski our team captain. Combo's him with a second and third for two high end prospects. One is the 8th oa in the year 1 expansion draft. Kid is 19 yrs old and looks like a legit sniper prospect. He is 70 oa but has 83-84 shooting ratings already. 

We also picked up a big right handed stay at home Russian D man named Nabokov. He's 6'4 and 63 OA. Heavy Slapshot and good defensive game. Hoping those two can contribute. 

I then also traded Grabner with max retention for timashov. Hoping he can be a solid bottom 6 skill option for us. So far so good.

I have moved all of my kids to their proper roles. Last season I had players playing higher up in the lineup and it stunted their growth. Going to try and find a replacement D for Lajoie as he took a step back from last season. Now he is a top pairing AHL D. 

Might move Zadorov out for a more mobile D. The physical presence is nice but we base our game off speed and team physically. Not sure if Zadorov is worth the sacrifice of a top 4 speedster. He did however shut down MacKinnon last game which was handy lol. Not sure how we would respond with Larsson and Zadorov both out of the lineup. 

Updated Seattle - Season 2 lines

Zuccarello - McCann - Bratt

Soderberg - Lundstrom - Kapanen

Timashov - Namestinkov - Brown

Crouse - Eakin - Armia

Zadorov - Schultz

Brodin - Carrick

Lajoie - Rutwegel

Ullmark

Blackwood

I waived Halak and DeMelo as they were both playing terrible. Largely due to our team defence but the other goalies were better able to handle the quality of shots. Both got claimed by other clubs. Just signed them so couldn't trade them.

Edited by Rush17

If the system we have

F

Liedeckeer (5th OA in 2018)

Leschyshyn (vgk 3rd/4th rounder - 125 pts in 60 gp last season in jr)

J. Roberson (95 pts in 55 gp in jr)

New guy - don't recall his name-  8th oa (kid with 83-84 OA shot at 70 oa)

McMichael (good forward prospect)

D

Dobson (12th OA in 2018)

Zyzchin (6th OA in 2019)

Nabokov (25th OA in 2020)

Chevy (4th rounder with low elite potential)

G

Have to update later but only found fringe starters / backups so far in my first two drafts. 

Have a few more prospects I'll write them all down and get correct spelling for these guys later today hopefully lol. I have some top end prospects in my system. Hoping the kids who dominated jr last year can continue their growth. Leschyshyn obliterated the whl last season lol. Robertson had a hell of a year too.

Edited by Rush17

2-7-2 to start the season. Traded Zadorov and my 2nd a high one it appears for branstrom. Zadorov grew nicely over last season. 

Also moved Jared McCann and my 2021 2nd for Pavel Zacha. McCann was dynamite for us in the playoffs but we signed Namestinkov and his speed makes up for the loss of McCann. 

Updated lines #3

Zuccerello - Soderberg - Bratt

Kamanev - Lundstrom - Kapanen

Namestinkov - Zacha - Brown

Crouse - Eakin - McGinn

Brodin - Schultz

Branstrom - Carrick

Boumeester - Biega

Ullmark

Blackwood

2 ot losses in the last two games. I'm hoping Zachas size will help break up the opposition teams forecheck. We are definitely hurting without Zadorov's physicality but we're hoping to better balance our lines. 

Soderberg has been a great third wheel on our Lundstrom / Kapanen line but we are going to try him at center for a bit. His size and grit definitely helps pen opposing teams into their own end.

Might send Blackwood back down to support the AHL club. Have re-signed super old vet Gustavsson. Might swap him and Blackwood in a few games. Playing it by ear for now.

I am guessing more of us will get the game after the holidays. Look forward to more NHL talk!

In Franchise, that banner at the bottom is starting to drive me bonkers.  Virtanen scores, the banner says 'First Career Goal', it's his 4th of the season.  Or at the beginning of a game it will show the goalie stats.  Both have identical stats and neither are correct.

They have been displaying season and career stats in this game for many years.  Hows does it suddenly get so screwed up?

I also find it hard to pick out the power play time and the whether there's a delayed penalty.  It should be more obvious.

• Upvote 1

I tend to always go for rebuilders or opt to tear down a franchise in franchise mode. i am considering starting a new one where i take over a contender or champion team and just fine tune it with a couple moves and focus on drafting new talent well trying to contend.

i sampled a franchise mode with tbl but I wanted to introduce Seattle as a cpu team. The franchise mode didn’t allow me to make trades.. so I was forced to give up either Tyler Johnson or yannie gourde. Definitely not an ideal situation lol. 

then sergachev and shattenkirk’s deals were up...lol. Signed sergachev for 5m per my on a three year deal then had no cash left to sign shattenkirk lol.

i am going to try out the be a pro mode. I played one game last night and had a blast. I’ll see how that goes for a bit. Do you guys have any team recommendations for a contending team? I’m not sure if Tampa is going to be my club quite yet. 

look forward to hearing some suggestions if anyone has any. I would like to try and sign hall as a ufa but i know that would be insanely costly and likely not worth it for a legit contender given the overpayment that would be required.

cheers and happy holidays 

Whoever made these alumni teams, I'd like to take them back behind the woodshed...

No Bure, Bert,Ohlund,Mogilny, Smyl (2 of 4 retired jerseys) exc

Also dont get McCabe, Sundin, Peca or Neely. Meanwhile Selanne is on Colorado, Gonchar is on Dallas, Belfour is on the Sharks, Dionne on Detriot, Jagr on florida, Pronger on Edmonton, Kurri on the Ducks, exc. Exc.

Arizona Coyotes have a better Alumni team than us... as does almost every team.

1st season w/ our :canucks:

4th in the WC with 102 P (48-28-6)

Top3 scorers

Pettersson 84P (30G + 54A)

Boeser 81P (41G + 40A)

Horvat 73P (25G + 48A)

Hughes with 58P (10G + 48A) and no Calder..:blink:

Playoffs 2020

Flames - Canucks 3-4

Jets - Canucks 3-4

Oilers - Canucks 3-4

Canucks - Capitals 4-2 

2nd season 

2nd in the WC with 109P (51-24-7)

Top3 scorers

Horvat 80P (39G + 41A)

Pettersson 80P (31G + 49A)

Miller 75P (25G + 50A)

Playoffs 2021

Ducks - Canucks 0-4

Oilers - Canucks 0-4

Stars - Canucks 3-4

Canadiens - Canucks 2-4

EP40 almost breaks the record for the most points in a playoff year with 45P (15G + 30A) in 21GP. He scores 14P (4G + 10A) in the 1st round against the Ducks :shock:

With 2 Stanley Cups in the bag, I'll go with this team into my 3rd :canucks: season.

Miller (87) - Pettersson (91) - Boeser (87)

Hoglander (79) - Horvat (C, 88) - Virtanen (84)

Roussel (A, 82) - Gaudette (84) - Lind (82)

Motte (80) - Beagle (79) - MacEwen (80)

Puljujarvi (82), Holtz (80), Gadjovich (76)

Hughes (89) - Hamonic (81)

Juolevi (81) - Myers (83)

Edler (A, 81) - Rafferty (79)

Brisebois (78), Woo (78), Maas (70)

Demko (87)

Markstrom (88)

DiPietro (81)

Notable trades/ signings

Baertschi, Goldobin + 2nd'20 》EDM | Puljujarvi 》VAN

Tanev, Sutter + 3rd'20 》MTL | 1st'20 + 2nd'20 (via CHI) 》VAN 

MTL 1st Pick went through the Lottery from 7th to 2nd OA (Holtz), 2nd round pick was Maas

1st'21, 3rd'21 + Ferland 》VGK | 2nd'21, 2nd'22, 3rd'22 (via MTL), 4th'21 + 4th'22》 VAN

Stecher (RFA) 》 WSH | 2nd'21 + 3rd'22 》 VAN

Pettersson $10.25/8y

Markstrom $6/3y

Hamonic $4.250/2y

Edler $4/3y

Demko $3.75/6y

Virtanen $3.5/3y

Juolevi $3.5/6y

Puljujarvi $2.9/4y

Gaudette $2.5/5y

Motte $1.75/3y

Rafferty $1.6/5y