The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aidan McDonough | #25 | LW

didn't their team squeak in to the NCAA tournament with an at large bid? I don't know if he will want to stay another year to take a run at the championship again but the team isn't exactly a contender are they?

he will probably need a few days or weeks to decompress, he could join a rolling abby team and make a calder cup playoff run, would be great if nicks sign him and get a look, maybe if they are out of it at end of season they can burn a year off his eco as an appetizer 

1 minute ago, Canucks Curse said:

didn't their team squeak in to the NCAA tournament with an at large bid? I don't know if he will want to stay another year to take a run at the championship again but the team isn't exactly a contender are they?

he will probably need a few days or weeks to decompress, he could join a rolling abby team and make a calder cup playoff run, would be great if nicks sign him and get a look, maybe if they are out of it at end of season they can burn a year off his eco as an appetizer 

If he refuses to sign and goes back for his senior year, then we need to trade his rights.  Can't have him walk August 2023 and get nothing.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

If he refuses to sign and goes back for his senior year, then we need to trade his rights.  Can't have him walk August 2023 and get nothing.  

Not too worried about that, @Alflives, it rarely happens.

I think this kid signs with us even if he goes back for another year, although, I don't think he has much less to accomplish in College hockey, I think he's outgrown it and needs AHL experience now.

• Like 1

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

Not too worried about that, @Alflives, it rarely happens.

I think this kid signs with us even if he goes back for another year, although, I don't think he has much less to accomplish in College hockey, I think he's outgrown it and needs AHL experience now.

agree, I think he will like to try and burn an etc, rathbone I bet is having a good time in abby and van and that will probably be a pretty enticing set up plus the $$$

also Jimmy R is no JB, Jimmy R perhaps one of the smartest men in hockey, I am doubtful a college kid tells him No

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

Is this guy going to have a better career than hockey gaud?

Impossible to say, but the odds seem decent enough.

Gaudette had the more impressive college numbers, but he was also playing on a very different Huskies team, with a deeper and more potent offence.

I’d say McDonough is equally, if not more talented, individually, and could be a threat to score in more ways.

He also comes with a 6’2”-6’3”, 200+ lbs body, versus Gaudette at only around 6’-6’1”, ~170 lbs.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Impossible to say, but the odds seem decent enough.

Gaudette had the more impressive college numbers, but he was also playing on a very different Huskies team, with a deeper and more potent offence.

I’d say McDonough is equally, if not more talented, individually, and could be a threat to score in more ways.

He also comes with a 6’2”-6’3”, 200+ lbs body, versus Gaudette at only around 6’-6’1”, ~170 lbs.

It will come down to the character of the guy.  These guys are like Gods in college.  Gaudette believed he was still a God in the NHL and never was willing to accept he needed to change his game to be a useful NHL player.  Mcdonough seems like he has better character than Gaudette and is willing to develop into the type of player he needs to be to succeed at the NHL level.  Guad was a spoiled little sock sucker.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

Levi will almost certainly sign, he really has nothing else left to prove in the NCAA, plus I imagine BUF will get him some games this season and burn a year of his ELC

With all his buddies signing and moving  on our guy will too.  If he doesn't come out with his friends then we better trade him, because that means he doesn't want to be here. 

27 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Yeah wound is still fresh. Leave him alone for a bit.

It's us!  What are the odds a guy who can make an actual difference, when given the option for becoming a free agent, will go ahead and give that up and sign with us?  I say we trade his rights and right friggin' now!  He's running!  get what we can.  We suck old socks and he knows it!  :frantic:

• Haha 1