The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander, does this 2nd round pick scream potential?

Rate this topic

koregen

On 6/24/2019 at 12:21 AM, Tomatoes11 said:

Looks like a bunch of cole cassels, gaunce, corrado, and Taylor Ellington types to me. Hardly anything to get premature about.

I remember when it was 

Virtanen
McCann
Demko
Boeser
Cassels
Gaunce
Shinkaruk
Kenins
Corrado
Brisebois
Pedan
Subban
Hutton
Grenier
Zhukenov

6 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Several lists? I counted 11 of the 16 lists on mynhldrafts.com that had him in the first round, some as high as 11th overall. This kid is looking like another absolute steal at 40th overall.

That 11th was for European skaters, not overall.

Still a solid pick though.

I'm excited about him too but lets keep our expectations tempered. I remember people getting all hyped up on Kole Lind just because he was a late 1st rounder in some mock drafts and put up similar numbers to Cody Glass... and of course Benning's famous line at the draft.

Do people on here realize how many great picks there are in a draft.

seeiously it seems like fans because our prospect cupboard was so empty in the last fifteen years that we are getting all the great picks, all the steals.

buffalo drafted Dylan cozens and Ryan Johnson (most credible scouts had Johnson in the top 20-25) sabres snagged him at 31. 

the avs got Newhook and Bowen Byram!

The ducks got Zegras and Tracey...

Red wings last year got mcisaac veleno and zadina While the isles picked up over wahlstrom Noah Dobson and bode Wilde.

im not gonna go through every team but the rangers, flyers, ducks, hurricanes, sabres and a few others like the islanders, red wings and avalanche are absolutely loaded with prospects too.... Loaddded.

im fine with being excited but folks were not out there with our team against an ea simulation. Were out there Against other teams who all get great draft picks as

Well. As long as everyone remembers that then cheer on!

i think he’s a very good pick by where he was selected but you can ya that’s about literally 20-30 guys most of

whom went before

hoglander.

Edited by Bertuzzi44ever
  • Upvote 1

On 6/24/2019 at 12:57 AM, Pears said:

I think this draft was a B/B+ for sure because of Podkolzin and Hoglander alone. 

If those two become NHLers, this draft would be A. If one or both reach their potential, it would be A+ given how high their ceiling is.

If a GM finds 2 NHLers draft, he should get an A. If any GM averages 2 players per draft, his team is going to win the Stanley Cup soon. JB sort of has done that every year since he took over, except in 2016:

14: Virt, Demko (not counting McCann, Forsling and Tryamkin, not on roster)

15: Boeser, Gaud

16: No one yet (Juolevi? and Lockwood has a chance)

17: EP. The others are too soon to tell but I would guess that one of Lind, Gad, DiPietro, Rathbone, and Palmu makes it

18: Hugues. Woo and Madden have a good chance.

19: Pod and Hoglander both have a lot of potential to become an NHLer.

Of course, he picked in the top 10 in every year except 15 so he is expected to find one NHLer per draft. But so far he's done a decent job.

I hope he gets extended.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

On 6/24/2019 at 12:21 AM, Tomatoes11 said:

Looks like a bunch of cole cassels, gaunce, corrado, and Taylor Ellington types to me. Hardly anything to get premature about.

I can agree it's too early to start penciling kids into the lineup but at the same time it's too early to start labeling them as just minor leaguers.

• Cheers 1

I’ve waited to say anything about this kid so I could read up on him first.  

I dont like small players. People who know me on this board know that well. Lol. 

BUT

This kid is kinda different.  He may be short, but he isn’t small.  At over 190lbs  already at his age and size, this kid is gonna be thick.   He will probably play around 200lbs.  

He has wild skill. Crazy hands and what looks to be pretty high IQ.

His puck control is very impressive.  He uses his speed and ridiculous stick handling to win board battles, but is heavy enough to push around a bit.  

Seems pretty fearless taking on a bunch of guys head on with the puck too.  He will get wrecked a couple times in the NHL trying to pull that, but he looks very promising.   

I like the pick.  Good job JB.