The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Sign Dzingel

With the report from Dhaliwal that we have zero chance signing Panarin I am looking at the secondary market.

Ryan Dzingel strikes me as a guy who could be a good pick up. He is 27 years of age and has scored more than 20 goals in the past 2 seasons with 26 goals and 30 assists last year. Evolving wild projects his contact at 4 years at 4.25 mill aav.

Thoughts?

I think that contract is a pretty low estimate. Id expect AAV to be around 5.5.

Either way he would be a great guy to sign. Unfortunately we have too much of a logjam of middle 6 forwards. 

If we wanted to sign more FA UFA's we'd need to trade at least one or two of Baer, Pearson, Sutter, Beagle, Leivo, Roussel

17 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I think that contract is a pretty low estimate. Id expect AAV to be around 5.5.

Either way he would be a great guy to sign. Unfortunately we have too much of a logjam of middle 6 forwards. 

If we wanted to sign more FA UFA's we'd need to trade at least one or two of Baer, Pearson, Sutter, Beagle, Leivo, Roussel

I agree he probably gets paid closer to the aav your saying. However the term may not be as long as some other free agent options. He has similar numbers to Nyquist who apparently the Canucks are considering. He is still fairly young and his production is better than most of our existing middle six forwards, many of whom I am hoping we can clear out.

Seriously i'm always worried about guys that suddendly come from nowhere when their about to hit UFA.    He's going to get paid based on last years performances, but the fact remains he's a 27 years old with 268 NHL games and 138 pts.  Scary to throw anything more than 4 years - 5M$ at him, I'm pretty sure someone will pay more than that to get him.   For these reasons I'd pass and focus on someone else.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Seriously i'm always worried about guys that suddendly come from nowhere when their about to hit UFA.    He's going to get paid based on last years performances, but the fact remains he's a 27 years old with 268 NHL games and 138 pts.  Scary to throw anything more than 4 years - 5M$ at him, I'm pretty sure someone will pay more than that to get him.   For these reasons I'd pass and focus on someone else.

He did have 23 goals and 18 assists the previous year so I am not sure you can say hd came out of nowhere.

Edited by babalu

8 minutes ago, babalu said:

He did have 23 goals and 18 assists the previous year so I am not sure you can say hd came out of nowhere.

Before the season started he had less 100 NHL pts.

In terms on marketability, it's a significant jump from 40 pts to almost 60.  He'll want to get payed like a 60 pts player, but there is not enough data suggesting whether he's a 50-60 players,m or that was only a fluke and he's really a 40 pts guy.

High-risk, low-reward type of deal IMO.

• Upvote 1

Dzingel is pretty much the only UFA left on the market who can play in the top six.

If we could get him for 4.5 x 4 I think that could make our top six a bit more competitive.

Was really hoping for Nyquist but Dzingel actually has fairly similar numbers over the past 2 years.

• Upvote 1

Seems like Dzingel may be able to be signed at a shorter term contract at this point looking at what Marcus Johansson got.

Maybe a 2 year term around 4.5. I think this would be good value if we could clear some cap to do it.

2 years would be low risk and good timing for the contract to come off the books.

Also wouldn't mind Ferland on a similar deal.

• Upvote 2

Yeah a one or two year deal would be great. Short term to see what he can do here and if it works out for both sides we can look at signing long term. 

1 year - $5 million 

2 years - $4.2 million

I think we'd need to make a trade though maybe Baer or even Sutter would have to be moved for a pick or prospect.